Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

The quesions that matter on the 5/11 episode:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Dan Dollbaum going for $5,000
Spoiler

Next:
Spoiler
Dan went to the audience and they gave him:
59% for George Lucas
22% for Steven Spielberg
10% for James Cameron
9% for Tim Burton
Next:
Spoiler
Dan used the 50:50 and it left Cameron & Burton for a reaction from the host & audience.
Next:
Spoiler
Dan called up his nephew and he offered little help.  Dan worked it out on his own that Cameron directed both Avatar and Titanic.
Next:
Spoiler
$7,000
Next:
Spoiler
Dan eliminated Haiti and Dominican Republic to create his own 50:50.  It did not help as he went Bahamas final answer when the correct place was Barbados.
Next:
Spoiler
Megan Iurilli going for $7,000 with all lifelines available.
Next:
Spoiler
  Yup, you could see it coming a mile away for A: final answer thinking Clinton and Gore.  Nope it's D as both Clinton & Kerry were Secretary of State.
Next:
Spoiler
Bailey Vogt going for $3,000 and all lifelines available.
Next:
Spoiler

And finally:
Spoiler
Zuri Brooks was called down from the audience and she was ready to answer without choices.
Next:
Spoiler
Zuri won $1,000 for knowing Roulette to at least make the show end on a high note for the weekend.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

So that's two Fridays in a row where most of the contestants have just chosen... poorly. I guess the end of season on a Friday is the best place to burn those off?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

kerryoakie wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:27 pm
alietr wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:49 pm That's the good thing about Millionaire -- you can take as much time as you need. My understanding is some of the longer ponderings are edited out.
As long as you're making "forward progress," you're allowed to think as long as necessary. If they see you fumbling around just trying to buy time, they can force you to walk away. This is why they encourage you to say absolutely everything out loud and not think in your head; they can't tell if you're making progress or spacing out otherwise.
There is a ton of editing, and yes, if you're circling the drain, they let you keep circling, but if you're not progressing toward the correct answer, they can and will stop you.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I fell for it too, Megan, so I sympathize.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:17 pm I fell for it too, Megan, so I sympathize.
So very forgettable. And props to the writers on that one; delicious negbait.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought the Thousandaire segment was the most exciting of that episode.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:42 pm The quesions that matter on the 5/11 episode:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Next:
Spoiler
59% for George Lucas
22% for Steven Spielberg
10% for James Cameron
9% for Tim Burton
Next:
Spoiler
Dan used the 50:50 and it left Cameron & Burton for a reaction from the host & audience.
Next:
Spoiler
Dan called up his nephew and he offered little help.  Dan worked it out on his own that Cameron directed both Avatar and Titanic.
Next:
Spoiler
$7,000
Next:
Spoiler
Dan eliminated Haiti and Dominican Republic to create his own 50:50.  It did not help as he went Bahamas final answer when the correct place was Barbados.
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
  Yup, you could see it coming a mile away for A: final answer thinking Clinton and Gore.  Nope it's D as both Clinton & Kerry were Secretary of State.
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler

And finally:
Spoiler
Zuri Brooks was called down from the audience and she was ready to answer without choices.
Next:
Spoiler
Zuri won $1,000 for knowing Roulette to at least make the show end on a high note for the weekend.
Wow.
Spoiler
I thought the $5k question for Dan was amazingly easy, and am surprised so few of the audience members got it correct. Are they generally this poor at questions that require a little bit of thinking?

But whereas I can understand someone who is not into movies struggling with that one, Dan has no one to blame but himself for missing the $7k question. Even if he is bad pop culture (although I'm shaky on it and knew Rihanna was from Barbados), it is either foolhardy or lazy not to look up all the word capitals if you're going on a game show.

I'm surprised at the $7k miss by Megan and others who mentioned falling for it. This should be automatic with all the time in the world to think, no?

Bailey's miss at $3k is understandable, though. I don't know the quote off the top of my head, and it's clearly either taxes or credit.

Nice job by Zuri; I didn't know that one off the top of my head like she did. I had to reason out that it would be roulette.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

IronNeck wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:42 pm The quesions that matter on the 5/11 episode:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Next:
Spoiler
59% for George Lucas
22% for Steven Spielberg
10% for James Cameron
9% for Tim Burton
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
$7,000
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler

And finally:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
Wow.
Spoiler
I thought the $5k question for Dan was amazingly easy, and am surprised so few of the audience members got it correct. Are they generally this poor at questions that require a little bit of thinking?

But whereas I can understand someone who is not into movies struggling with that one, Dan has no one to blame but himself for missing the $7k question. Even if he is bad pop culture (although I'm shaky on it and knew Rihanna was from Barbados), it is either foolhardy or lazy not to look up all the word capitals if you're going on a game show.

I'm surprised at the $7k miss by Megan and others who mentioned falling for it. This should be automatic with all the time in the world to think, no?

Bailey's miss at $3k is understandable, though. I don't know the quote off the top of my head, and it's clearly either taxes or credit.

Nice job by Zuri; I didn't know that one off the top of my head like she did. I had to reason out that it would be roulette.
Spoiler
It was pretty much an exact definition of what credit is, I don't see any way to work taxes into fitting there.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think the pitfall in Megan's question that the writers took advantage of is that it's easy to gloss over elections that didn't give us a new president.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Yeesh... When are auditions again? :D :D
acthomas wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:02 pm So that's two Fridays in a row where most of the contestants have just chosen... poorly. I guess the end of season on a Friday is the best place to burn those off?
What's interesting to me is, if my facts are straight, this is a sweeps period. J! is in the middle of a tournament, Wheel went on location last week, yet Millionaire puts out a few very..... cringe worthy episodes the last two weeks. You would think that if there are any really good contestants, Millionaire would do whatever they can to show them now, no? Maybe I'm just speaking too soon and there's something big coming up soon, but I digress....

If the writers left out the capital in the Rihanna clue, a miss is a lot more justifiable if you aren't up with pop culture. I recall coming across the same fact in an archived ToC game that got past all three players. Here though, the writers helped out a lot, so I can't show much sympathy there. I knew the fact cold regardless.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Golf

Post by Golf »

kerryoakie wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:27 pm As long as you're making "forward progress," you're allowed to think as long as necessary. If they see you fumbling around just trying to buy time, they can force you to walk away. This is why they encourage you to say absolutely everything out loud and not think in your head; they can't tell if you're making progress or spacing out otherwise.
triviawayne wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:05 pm There is a ton of editing, and yes, if you're circling the drain, they let you keep circling, but if you're not progressing toward the correct answer, they can and will stop you.
Is that what they tell contestants these days? Does anybody have a concrete example of a contestant being forced to walk away?

IronNeck wrote:I thought the $5k question for Dan was amazingly easy, and am surprised so few of the audience members got it correct. Are they generally this poor at questions that require a little bit of thinking?
Yes. And have been since 1999. You hadn't noticed?
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Golf wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:56 pm
Heh, I've only seen a dozen episodes total, if even that, since Regis stopped hosting.

I've come across way more questions from MarkBarrett's updates in this topic.
Golf

Post by Golf »

IronNeck wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:41 pm
Golf wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:56 pm
Heh, I've only seen a dozen episodes total, if even that, since Regis stopped hosting.

I've come across way more questions from MarkBarrett's updates in this topic.
Understood. It has gone way downhill since the prime time days. But that shouldn't stop good trivia players from taking advantage of free money given the opportunity.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Spoiler

I guess we spoiler everything here:
Spoiler
Why would it be roulette? It involves children's level math by comparison to Keno with all the combinations to work out for x number of guesses correct out of y number of total guesses. You just need to divide by 36 at the roulette table and avoid the only stupid bet (the 5-way). All other bets are equally stupid!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:21 am
Spoiler

Spoiler
Why would it be roulette? It involves children's level math by comparison to Keno with all the combinations to work out for x number of guesses correct out of y number of total guesses. You just need to divide by 36 at the roulette table and avoid the only stupid bet (the 5-way). All other bets are equally stupid!
He was working on perpetual motion. That's the only one that makes the slightest bit of sense in that regard.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Only 10% knew James Cameron, possibly a couple of those people were even just GUESSING.
The question was an instaget for me, as well as both $7,000 questions.
This was literally just as shocking as the Old Pale question, also an instaget on my part. Only 5% of the audience getting the answer.
I myself am not a huge film buff and I don't drink.
The audience on the other hand, they seemed to have spent plenty of time at the movies and at the bar.
Sometimes, what the audience gets and doesn't get will take you by surprise.
Douglas Squasoni
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Spoiler

Spoiler
econgator noted it, but the roulette table is the only one of the options that moves for an extended period of time with relatively little application of force. Ergo, it would feasibly be involved in trying to find a perpetual motion machine.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

IronNeck wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:11 am
Spoiler

Spoiler

econgator noted it, but the roulette table is the only one of the options that moves for an extended period of time with relatively little application of force. Ergo, it would feasibly be involved in trying to find a perpetual motion machine.
:oops: I tuned out or zoned out on the actual content of the question and homed in on "mathematician" and trying to remember Pascal's contributions. Of course the Keno math is also elementary by comparison. I also focused on which games were ancient, and which might be new constructions contemporary to Pascal. In context of the perpetual motion machine, then it is a WECIB. Thanks for the insight into the benefits of RTFQ! :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Spoiler
Spoiler
All 193 of them? Can you name them all without googling?
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

kprather895 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:38 am
Spoiler
Spoiler
All 193 of them? Can you name them all without googling?
Spoiler
Actually, there's 197 or so, not even counting territories. And yes, knowing them all isn't that difficult for anyone even remotely serious about trivia. However, even THAT isn't necessary, because a passing familiarity with capitals would have been enough to solve that question. They already give you the countries in question, and one could also do a simple process of elimination on the other ones.