Friday, May 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, May 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by floridagator »

Okay be honest. How many of you held up your medius to the TV screen when that question was asked?

A Jeopardy champ once showed me her medius, but that's another story.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

44 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Antares

A few category runs.

Syzygy wasn't a stumper?!?! :shock:

Happy to see my favorite constellation Eridanus make an appearance on today's show.
Douglas Squasoni
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Ranjani cost herself a wildcard slot with her betting.

Her first DD was in the Shakespeare, which she was fantastic at. Why in the world wouldn't she then bet all $4k, but only $2k?

Had she done so, she would have had $15,600 when uncovering the 2nd DD, in a weaker category. She could then have afforded to play it very safe, wagering $5-$100, and not needing to answer a single question more to get a likely wildcard slot.

Obviously, the big $2k neg on guessing the obviously wrong Betelgeuse didn't help matters (among other things, the clue stated that it was red, not orange), but if she had bet properly and been aware of the situation, she would have had a great shot in the semis.

Otherwise, this was a decent game. For the FJ, I knew it was a form of veto, but it took a good 20 seconds to complete it with "pocket veto".
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:00 pm
DBear wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:39 pm Now THIS is the kind of FJ I expect in a Teachers' Tournament. Too bad about Ranjani, I was hoping she'd pull out the win after running Shakespeare and coming up with "syzygy".
I'm not a huge fan of it; it's almost pure YEKIOYD. I did get it, but I prefer to have to think about it.
As Davey said, not only is it "you either know it or you don't," but you're (we're) SUPPOSED to know it because we all learned about it in school. A bit ono the obscure side, yes. That's why it's FJ in a teacher's tournament and not a $400 clue in a regular game.

Nice job by Steve and Jake. I thought Ranjani would stand pat on $12,000 and hope to get in as a wild card.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

John Boy wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:50 am
Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:00 pm
DBear wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:39 pm Now THIS is the kind of FJ I expect in a Teachers' Tournament. Too bad about Ranjani, I was hoping she'd pull out the win after running Shakespeare and coming up with "syzygy".
I'm not a huge fan of it; it's almost pure YEKIOYD. I did get it, but I prefer to have to think about it.
As Davey said, not only is it "you either know it or you don't," but you're (we're) SUPPOSED to know it because we all learned about it in school. A bit ono the obscure side, yes. That's why it's FJ in a teacher's tournament and not a $400 clue in a regular game.

Nice job by Steve and Jake. I thought Ranjani would stand pat on $12,000 and hope to get in as a wild card.
Note: I believe she would have. I didn't know the other wild card scores as we went into this FJ but I remember thinking I would have bet $0.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

But IIRC, she mispronounced "syzygy", did she not?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

merica wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:12 am
Hard 'g' instead of a soft 'g', but still meets the show rules.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

"Yes" but J! doesn't punish you if your pronunciation matches the spelling. You wouldn't be dinged in game* for pronouncing colonel "call-oh-nell."

*Social media would, of course, eat you alive.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

econgator wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:17 am
Hard 'g' instead of a soft 'g', but still meets the show rules.
OK. I was thinking she also swapped the "gy" and "zy" part of the response [syg-e-zy], but I am going from memory now (which obviously isn't very good!).
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

floridagator wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:02 am Okay be honest. How many of you held up your medius to the TV screen when that question was asked?
:mrgreen:
Had I been a contestant, I would have been tempted to do so upon replying to the clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Okay, I just had to fact-check the Garth Brooks clue.

He only had three songs on the charts in 1994: "Standing Outside the Fire" (released in December 1993) got to #3, "One Night a Day" got to #7, and "Callin' Baton Rouge" to #2. No quibble there.

1997 checks out. He was a featured vocalist on Trisha Yearwood's "In Another's Eyes" released that August, and "Longneck Bottle" got to #1 on the last two charts of the year.

1999 is where it gets weird. "It's Your Song" was issued in late 1998, and was still on the charts in 1999, but by that point, it had already peaked and was clearly descending (in fact, most of its chart run in 1999 was spent below the Top 40 entirely). The only singles released by Garth in calendar year 1999 were on his In the Life of Chris Gaines album. "Lost in You" got to #5 on the Hot 100 (bizarrely, Garth's only top 40 hit), but only #62 on the country charts (due to it being only a B-side on country), and the only other Chris Gaines single, "It Don't Matter to the Sun", only went to #24 on Hot Country Songs.

So is it technically wrong to say that Garth had a hit in 1999, given that his only releases that year were credited to his fictional alter ego? Joel Whitburn lists both of those songs as being performed by "Garth Brooks as Chris Gaines", which is also how back issues of Billboard list it. Is a measly #24 peak on a chart that then had 75 spaces at the time still a "hit"? Does "Lost in You" still count as a "country hit" even though it was technically alternative rock and never officially released to the country format?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,800
47 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: ditto, quack

This FJ! was simple to those who are familiar with the term, and impossible to those who aren't.

I'm really surprised "ditto" was a TS. These teachers might be too old to have used them in their careers, but Jake and Steve are certainly old enough to have used plenty of them as students.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:39 pm Is a measly #24 peak on a chart that then had 75 spaces at the time still a "hit"?
In the context of pop music, the term "hit" typically denotes a song that charted somewhere in the top 40 places of the Hot 100. It seems reasonable, then, to call a song a "country hit" if it made the top 40 of the Hot Country Songs chart.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:40 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:39 pm Is a measly #24 peak on a chart that then had 75 spaces at the time still a "hit"?
In the context of pop music, the term "hit" typically denotes a song that charted somewhere in the top 40 places of the Hot 100. It seems reasonable, then, to call a song a "country hit" if it made the top 40 of the Hot Country Songs chart.
The country chart also has fewer positions: it was 75 at the time, and was cut to 60 a year later. It's also a much smaller sample size. Would "That Girl Is a Cowboy" count as a hit for him in 2006, despite only getting to #34, which is barely a blip on the radar as far as the country charts are concerned?

Also, does it still count as a Garth Brooks song at all, given that it was released as Chris Gaines?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I'm really surprised "ditto" was a TS. These teachers might be too old to have used them in their careers, but Jake and Steve are certainly old enough to have used plenty of them as students.
Lots of oldsters have memories of "take one, pass them back" followed by 25 fifth-graders inhaling the alcohol fumes from damp paper with purple text. However, my response was the same as the contestant's. As I recall, "mimeograph" and "ditto" were almost used as interchangeable terms, even though they are very different processes, as the show correctly judged.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:59 pm
I loved the pronunciation of Pleiades. But then I say Illinoizzz, and ConneCt-icut, and Hawa-ya for those three states and flip-flop on Missourie-Missourah depending on usage.
Is there some part of the country that pronounces those states like that?? And I don't even know what that third state is supposed to be because if you pronounce it like you're put it there, I literally would have no idea what you were talking about.
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:55 am
I loved the pronunciation of Pleiades. But then I say Illinoizzz, and ConneCt-icut, and Hawa-ya for those three states and flip-flop on Missourie-Missourah depending on usage.
Is there some part of the country that pronounces those states like that?? And I don't even know what that third state is supposed to be because if you pronounce it like you're put it there, I literally would have no idea what you were talking about.
My father, who had been there more than once, tended to say Hawa-ya - or Haw-eye-uh, something like that. I don't know why. We're from western PA, but I don't recall it being widespread.
billiej

Post by billiej »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 pm
Lots of oldsters have memories of "take one, pass them back" followed by 25 fifth-graders inhaling the alcohol fumes from damp paper with purple text. However, my response was the same as the contestant's. As I recall, "mimeograph" and "ditto" were almost used as interchangeable terms, even though they are very different processes, as the show correctly judged.
Yeah, I'm old enough for that, and to have forgotten the term "ditto", all I could pull out was mimeo...once it was revealed, I said "Oh yeah!....I vaguely remember ditto..." :P
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:55 am
My father, who had been there more than once, tended to say Hawa-ya - or Haw-eye-uh, something like that. I don't know why. We're from western PA, but I don't recall it being widespread.
"Is it Ha-Wah-Yee or Ha-Vah-Yee?"
"We pronounce it Ha-Vah-Yee."
"Thanks."
"You're velcome."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

There were 4 wild card spots. In the first 4 matches, there were 2 non-winners with scores around $14,000. The next closest was only around $5600.

So it was a strange wager by Ranjani, and by the winner even though he got it right. Do they film all 5 shows back to back on one day, keeping the contestants isolated so that will not know how the results of the other contestants? But what would prevent someone in the audience from tipping them off? During the teen tournament on the last day of the first round, it seemed like they were aware of the previous results.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:59 pm I loved the pronunciation of Pleiades. But then I say Illinoizzz, and ConneCt-icut, and Hawa-ya for those three states and flip-flop on Missourie-Missourah depending on usage.
Ah, but do you pronounce Topeka's state as kinSAW? ;)