Monday, May 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7761, 2018-05-14

2018 Teachers Tournament semifinal game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Erika Eason, a K-12 technology teacher from Derwood, Maryland
Scott Montanaro, a high school history and psychology teacher from Portland, Oregon
Steve Mond, a 9th and 10th grade math teacher from Midvale, Utah

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Erika, Scott, Steve, good to see you again. Two of you are going home after today with $10,000. The third player has a minimum guarantee of $25,000. So I'll wish you good luck and now put you to work in the Jeopardy! Round. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SCHOOL OF ROCK (4/5)
STAND & DELIVER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DEAD POETS' SOCIETY (5/5)
LEAN ON ME (5/5)
GOODBYE MR. CHIP (5/5)
BLACKBOARD JUMBLE (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a word you can make up from the letters in the word "blackboard".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Erika: 12 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Steve: 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Scott: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Steve found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Steve was in the hole with -$400, Scott had $200, and Erika was at $1,800. Steve wagered $1,000.

STAND & DELIVER $600: 1930s Southern governor who said, "We have organized a society... with the motto 'Every man a king'"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Erika: $3,400
Steve: $2,600
Scott: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Erika Eason is from Derwood, Maryland. You teach at a very old school.

Erika: I do. The school was founded over 100 years ago by three sisters--not nuns, but biological sisters. I don't remember exactly what country. I think they were French, maybe Swiss, but they founded it as a French school. We are no longer a French school, but it's been around for a very long time.

Alex: Okay. Nice to know.

Alex: Scott Montanaro is from Oregon. You like your students to feel empowered. In what way?

Scott: One of my biggest goals as a teacher is just for my students to feel like they can be themselves in my classroom. So I like to start class with just kind of easy conversation, hypothetical questions. You know, like "Would you rather travel into the future or in the past?" That kind of stuff, just to make kids feel comfortable.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Steve Mond is a tenth grade math teacher from Utah. Your school is affiliated with a soccer team.

Steve: Correct. With Real Salt Lake in Major League Soccer. At this point, all the MLS teams have academy programs. They have high-school-age kids that are in preparation to become pro soccer players. We are the first team that's built a school so there's a place where they'll all go to the same place that's right near all the practice facilities. We're a charter school, so we have kids from all over with all sorts of interests as well.

Alex: Get 'em started young, and they wind up being excellent players.

Steve: Yes, they do.

Alex: That's important.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCHOOL OF ROCK $1000: The title of this Juicy J song about a woman working her way through college is a form of financial aid
(Steve: What is "Work Study"?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Erika: $7,000
Steve: $6,800
Scott: $1,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SMALL COUNTRIES (5/5)
LIFE SCIENCE MILESTONES (4/5)
CHARACTERS IN BROADWAY MUSICALS (4/5)
10-LETTER WORDS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SUPER CONDUCTORS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"ED"UCATION (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Steve: 12 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Scott: 5 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Erika: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Scott snagged the next Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Steve had $12,400, Scott had $4,200, and Erika was at $12,600. Scott wagered $3,000.

10-LETTER WORDS $800: Portmanteau term for the rules that apply to how one communicates online
(Scott: What is... got nothing.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Steve who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Steve had $14,400, Scott had $1,200, and Erika was at $12,600. Steve wagered $1,500.

SUPER CONDUCTORS $1200: At a May 7, 1824 premier, Michael Umlauf wielded the baton but took his tempo cues from this man
(Steve: Who is Mozart?)
(Alex: No. Who was [*]? [*] was deaf. This was the presentation of his 9th Symphony.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LIFE SCIENCE MILESTONES $1200: In 1910 Peyton Rous got an order of chicken sarcoma & found that viruses can cause this disease
(Steve: What is salmonella?)
(Scott: What is chicken pox?)

"ED"UCATION $1600: Meaning having few teeth, this scientific adjective is used of sloths & armadillos

CHARACTERS IN BROADWAY MUSICALS $2000: Jack Kelly,
Katherine,
Joseph Pulitzer

10-LETTER WORDS $2000: The leather shorts seen here are perfect for a trip up the Alps

SUPER CONDUCTORS $1600: Ex-La Scala boss Riccardo Muti is a primo interpreter of the operas of this Italian rival & contemporary of Wagner

SUPER CONDUCTORS $2000: Seen here as a young maestro, he announced that in 2019 he'll retire, after 50 years leading the Israel Philharmonic

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Steve: $14,900
Erika: $12,600
Scott: $1,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CITIES IN LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Steve: Wager $10,301 to cover Erika, but no more than $12,499 so as not to fall behind Scott's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $7,901.
Erika: Since you're within 4/5ths of Steve's score, you should wager between $4,601 (venusian) and $8,000 (martian), beating Steve's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores.
Scott: Too bad for you, Scott, your score is less than Steve's score minus Erika's score. Unless they both commit an egregious wagering error, you've no hope of moving into first place. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In "Gone With the Wind", Rhett Butler says this city named for a monarch "is the South, only intensified"

FINAL SCORES
Scott: $1,200 - $1,200 = $0 (What is Charlottesville?) (3rd place: $10,000)
Erika: $12,600 - $10,000 = $2,600 (What is Atlanta Savanna?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Steve: $14,900 - $10,301 = $4,599 (What is Atlanta Charlotte?) (Finalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Steve: $16,000, 25 R (including 1 DD), 6 W (including 1 DD)
Erika: $12,600, 17 R, 2 W
Scott: $4,200, 9 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $32,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Steve: 25/60 = .417
Erika: 17/58 = .293
Scott: 9/59 = .153
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SCHOOL OF ROCK $200: The title of this Taylor Swift hit is the age of many high school freshmen
(Steve: What is "Fourteen"?)

DEAD POETS' SOCIETY $600: Her poem "Lady Lazarus" says, "I'm only 30, and like the cat, I have 9 times to die"

BLACKBOARD JUMBLE $600: Legend has it that Raleigh gained Queen Elizabeth's favor by spreading this over a mud puddle so that she could walk over it
(Scott: What is cape?)

SMALL COUNTRIES $800: Malta was home to the Knights Hospitallers & you'll see this symbol of theirs on the tails of Air Malta planes
(Steve: What is a shield?)

CHARACTERS IN BROADWAY MUSICALS $400: Annie Oakley,
Frank Butler,
Sitting Bull
(Erika: What is Oklahoma!)

"ED"UCATION $1200: This style of architecture is named for Queen Victoria's son

CHARACTERS IN BROADWAY MUSICALS $1200: Premiering on Broadway in 1975:
Dorothy,
Aunt Em,
Addaperle, the Good Witch of the North
(Steve: What is Wicked)
(Erika: What is The Wizard of Oz?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Huey) Long
"Scholarship"
netiquette
Beethoven
cancer
edentate
Newsies
lederhosen
Giuseppe Verdi
Zubin Mehta
Charleston
"Fifteen"
(Sylvia) Plath
cloak
a (Maltese) cross
Annie Get Your Gun
Edwardian
the Wiz
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CITIES IN LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In “Gone with the Wind”, Rhett Butler says this city named for a monarch “is the South, only intensified”

Steve Mond: 14900-10301=4599 (Finalist)
Scott Montanaro: 1200-1200=0
Erika Eason: 12600-10000=2600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Charleston (Steve – Atlanta Charlotte) (Scott – Charlottesville) (Erika – Atlanta Savanna)

Daily Doubles
Steve: minus 400+1000
Scott: 4200-3000
Steve: 14400-1500

Coryats
Steve: 16000
Scott: 4200
Erika: 12600

Combined: 32,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Steve: 6800
Scott: 1800
Erika: 7000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Out of six possible attempts at big clues Steve had the only hit with +1000 on DD1.

Erika as last in with the WC4 spot did well until time to wager for the FJ! round. She made sure Scott could not catch her, but the pretty 10,000 put her below Steve’s expected fall-to number. That’s one way to throw away $15,000 unfortunately for her.

I guarantee a woman will win tomorrow’s match and the powers agree. There is no way the game will end up all zeroes to prove me and the powers wrong.

The FJ! clue had me flailing like the contestants did. I only wrote Charlotte while mentally dismissing Atlanta, Charlottesville and Savannah. I knew I was wrong and could not put the pieces together to find the right city. I saw the movie once, at least 20-something years ago, and it was not going to help today. Certainly I never read that doorstop.

It’s funny how I could be five letters into the right response and still not spot it. Trying a quick brainstorm of southern cities did not work. Perhaps if I had changed gears to monarchs I would have had a better chance of getting there.

I like that clue for the FJ! round of the semis and too bad one of the players did not get it right to have forward progress making the move into the finals.

In the comments section of the 5/11 game on TheJeopardyFan some interesting news was shared: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... pardy.html

Here is a picture of two future J! champs Steve(n) & Kareem (and Shavar Ross) back in the early 1980s on the set of the famous TV show:
Spoiler
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I responded "bookmakers" for "oddsmakers" -- judges?

I was flailing around on FJ also. After the think music was up I was upset I hadn't thought of St. Louis. Of course, it didn't matter.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Overthought the final. I've read GWTW, but when the clue said "monarch" instead of "king" I took that as code for a queen and matched Steve's Charlotte.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Surprised at yet another 0-fer on what should have been a relatively easy FJ. The quote seems obscure but Butler --> blockade runner --> southern port --> Charleston - oh, and Charles is the name of a monarch.

That said, never heard of "netiquette" - even though spellcheck apparently has.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 40,000
51 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: netiquette (DD), Ludwig van Beethoven (DD), lederhosen

On FJ!, I hoped that Atlanta wasn't named for a monarch and looked for the closest major city that was. I think I would have chosen Charleston over Charlotte, but I was lucky enough not to think of the latter.

Scott's wagering mistake was serious, but Erika's was fatal. Scott had pretty much the perfect situation to go TDD: in a deep hole, fairly late in the game, second-row clue, well-bounded category. He failed to convert, of course, but there was no good reason to leave $1,200 on the table there. Erika was in a very straightforward four-fifths scenario and should have won on the double stumper, but she apparently had not done any studying on wagering.

Pavlov I failed to recall: Israeli conductor = Zubin Mehta.

Torchy's Tacos is overrated.
Saturnalia wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:51 pm I responded "bookmakers" for "oddsmakers" -- judges?
That's what I said, and I counted it. The terms are synonymous.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Come on, J!.

"Red White and Green" was overvalued by a minimum of $800. But that's just me.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

For the FJ, I started by thinking of distinctively southern cities. "It wouldn't be Atlanta. Savannah, no, not named after a monarch. Charleston? That's it." I don't know where I would have gone after that. Maybe New Orleans, Williamsburg, Vicksburg? (Once I exhausted my supply of traditional southern coastal cities from the 19th century, I probably would have shifted to Civil War battles.)

I think this question might work better this way than to think of cities named after monarchs.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:39 pm Erika was in a very straightforward four-fifths scenario and should have won on the double stumper, but she apparently had not done any studying on wagering.
It is surreal to watch these tournament games in my current (pending TOC) situation. I found myself holding my breath and extremely hopeful that the lower-coryat player would pull out an underdog win with the savvy FJ wager... :roll:

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:39 pm
Pavlov I failed to recall: Israeli conductor = Zubin Mehta.
Funny, I got this but only thanks to the photo, or else I would've stayed clam. (my flashcard is "Indian composer = Mehta", I was somehow ignorant of the Israel connection.)
Last edited by RobW on Mon May 14, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

RobW wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:24 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:39 pm Erika was in a very straightforward four-fifths scenario and should have won on the double stumper, but she apparently had not done any studying on wagering.
It is surreal to watch these tournament games in my current (pending TOC) situation. I found myself holding my breath and extremely hopeful that the lower-coryat player would pull out an underdog win with the savvy FJ wager... :roll:
Instead of Team Jacob and Team Edward from Twilight you are obviously Team Judy & Team Katherine this week. ;)
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was really sluggish today from oversleeping, but I managed to get Lach Trash on "edentate" and "lederhosen", and got the Beethoven DD.

Southern city named for a Monarch? Atlanta isn't, so let's just... uh... uh... uh........... As usual, my brain just completely switched off and I had nothing for even a WAG. Not even the neg on Charlotte nudged my brain in the right direction. I wonder if I'd have gotten this with more caffeine in me...
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

For once, instead of flailing away at southern cities, my mind immediately rattled off monarchs: Edward, William, George, Charles....Charleston! I'm glad Louis(ville) didn't come to mind, though I probably would've rejected it as not southern enough.

Another day, another 2nd place overwager. Ho-hum.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I loved how the "oddsmakers" clue came up today.

Add me for another Charlotte on FJ. I never would have got this one in 30 seconds.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Not an instaget for me, admittedly--haven't seen Gone with the Wind in forever--but still wasn't too hard for me to piece together. Surprised it was a triple stumper.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:35 pm For once, instead of flailing away at southern cities, my mind immediately rattled off monarchs: Edward, William, George, Charles....Charleston! I'm glad Louis(ville) didn't come to mind, though I probably would've rejected it as not southern enough.

Another day, another 2nd place overwager. Ho-hum.
Yes; great job in advancing to the semis, but it is weird when a smart person eliminates an avenue to advancing.
Howard
Contributor

Post by Howard »

Got the final, mainly because i remembered that rhett butler was from charleston.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ouch. Erika. Dang.

Should've been a BMS on Long. Huey's the most famous, but it's not like he's the only one. Most notably, there's also Huey's brother Earl--45th governor of LA (Huey was 40th) and famous for his dalliance with New Orleans stripper Blaze Starr.

Ran Super Conductors, but that's a field where I have deeper than J!-level knowledge. I happened to know that Wagner and Verdi were exact contemporaries, both born in 1813. (Why do I know that? Because my CDs are categorized by birth year of the composer, of course.) Without that knowledge, the clue seemed like a coin flip between Verdi and Puccini, with someone else picking up the trash if you guess wrong. I agree with the players for clamming.

The only other way into that clue was knowing that Riccardo Muti is a celebrated Verdi conductor. That's news to me. (I would've picked Tullio Serafin for that title, not that they can't both be.) But I'm not a huge Verdi fan. Or a huge Muti fan. Definitely wouldn't put him in a category called SUPER CONDUCTORS. But then the other clues included Arthur Fiedler and some nobody who subbed in for Beethoven. Only Colin Davis and Zubin Mehta really belonged.

Flailed on this FJ. As soon as the Think music was over, Mrs. P told me her response was Charleston and I knew instantly that she was correct.