Monday, May 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, May 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:22 pm That said, never heard of "netiquette"
There are a few people on this board who would elicit a derisive snicker from me after such a statement. But you're not one of them.
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

The fact that Charlotte was described by Cornwallis as “a hornet’s nest of rebellion” weighed on my decision-making, but I didn’t think the city grew in prominence until after the Civil War, so I went with Charleston instead.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I went after major southern cities at that time. Atlanta--no, Savannah--no, Charlotte--no, Charleston--yes. Ran dips, got lederhosen, chuckled when Wicked was guessed after being spotted 1975.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Vowela wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:00 pm Not an instaget for me, admittedly--haven't seen Gone with the Wind in forever--but still wasn't too hard for me to piece together. Surprised it was a triple stumper.
Never seen or read it but it wasn't too difficult because Charleston is such a southern city.

Triple stumper and a bad wager from Erika, kind of a surprising ending.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:35 pm For once, instead of flailing away at southern cities, my mind immediately rattled off monarchs: Edward, William, George, Charles....Charleston! I'm glad Louis(ville) didn't come to mind, though I probably would've rejected it as not southern enough.

Another day, another 2nd place overwager. Ho-hum.
Yeah, Louisville would never be called the epitome of the South. We're known as either the northernmost Southern city or the southernmost Northern city.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I probably needed another 30 seconds on Charleston, just could not focus.

Meanwhile, HS freshmen are 15? 15?! For not one day of my life was I a 15-year-old freshman! (I have a late in the year birthday...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:23 pm
Ran Super Conductors, but that's a field where I have deeper than J!-level knowledge.
I felt the same way, but there wasn't a clue about Cooper pairs, 1-2-3 Yttria-Barium-Copper oxide ceramics, Helium II, or even the Meissner effect! Worst Superconductor questions, ever! :o Turned out to be a category about Bugs Bunny music :lol:

Wow, Scott was my pick at the intros and he got steamrolled by two good players. Out of netiquette, no comment on the FJ betting.

I tumbled onto the FJ solution quickly just by staying in the south and going through cities without any distraction about Atlanta. First was Jamestown, obviously not a factor, and then Charleston which seemed to fit the description and it was surely named after somebody, why not King Chuck?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I agree completely with Alex. That was not a difficult FJ. Given the solid play from both Steve and Erika, I'm surprised they both missed it.
Saturnalia wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:51 pm I responded "bookmakers" for "oddsmakers" -- judges?
I would not accept this, and BigDaddyMatty is wrong that they're "synonymous".

Oddsmakers set the lines for the sporting events. Bookmakers, by contrast, accept bets based on those lines and pay out, but do not set the lines themselves.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Charleston just never crossed my mind on FJ. I doubt many people knew this one cold, so it's one that comes down to going through a list of southern cities and picking one. I had Louisville down, but was very confident it would be wrong. I think it would have helped if the clue wording specified "king" rather than "monarch."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have the tea leaves around 12/18 for 67% for the FJ! round with the percentage dropping when including the stage players. The clue is not as hard as those who missed it made it and it's not quite as easy as those who were done in mere seconds think it was. It's in between.

For J! purposes I would guess bookmakers gets accepted as many times players come up with a response not as good as the expected one while still getting the reluctant thumbs up.

Joe at the corner store can set a line for the Super Bowl and take bets from regular customers. It's not the lines from local guys are all the same and only come from one official higher-up source.

10-LETTER WORDS $1600: They create the betting lines for the Super Bowl & other contests
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

43 R
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cancer, Newsies, (Beethoven), Lederhosen, Giuseppe Verdi, Zubin Mehta

A few category runs.

Edda wasn't a stumper?!? :shock:

Lederhosen WAS a stumper?!?!?!? :o
Douglas Squasoni
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 pm Charleston just never crossed my mind on FJ. I doubt many people knew this one cold,
I knew it cold and so did my mother, having read the book. In fact, related to MarkBarrett's post, it's a very easy FJ if you've read the book and quite a difficult one if you haven't.
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:33 am Edda wasn't a stumper?!?

Lederhosen WAS a stumper?!?!?!?
Yeah, good catch. That surprised me too. Fantastic job by Erika in getting Edda...and then they all miss lederhosen?!
Leander

Post by Leander »

I didn’t know this cold, although I have seen the movie a couple of times many years ago. For me It was a process of thinking through traditional antebellum Deep South cities, and hitting Charleston after dismissing Atlanta and Savannah.

Can’t say whether watching The Old House, which is currently working on projects in Charleston, helped or not.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I am sure the contestants would have gotten lederhosen if they had looked like this:

I was a little thrown off myself by just seeing a picture of leder hosen - leather pants - without the sterotypical suspenders.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
earendel

Post by earendel »

IronNeck wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:45 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 pm Charleston just never crossed my mind on FJ. I doubt many people knew this one cold,
I knew it cold and so did my mother, having read the book. In fact, related to MarkBarrett's post, it's a very easy FJ if you've read the book and quite a difficult one if you haven't.
I wouldn't say that - I got Charleston right away, and I've never read the book nor seen the movie.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never read the book and only seen parts of the movie. I did know Rhett was a blockade runner.

I started with Atlanta, but that isn’t named for a monarch. Then I went to Charleston and was safe. Maybe being Southern helped, though I’ve never been there.

I said bookmakers and webiquette.

Yes, a bad bet by Erika. Steve did what he should from the lead, as we would hope a math teacher would.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:39 pm
Scott's wagering mistake was serious, but Erika's was fatal. Erika was in a very straightforward four-fifths scenario and should have won on the double stumper, but she apparently had not done any studying on wagering.
...deep sigh....And another game lost because of a contestant knowing nothing about the one category that comes up in every game: FJ wagering.

And this one costs the lady a trip to the tournament finals, and a MINIMUM of $15,000.

I had to miss a good bit of the first round because of a crucial phone call, so my first round score was 12R, 1W. Even at that I scored enough in LT (cancer + edentate + lederhosen + Zubin Mehta = $7200) that my sole get on FJ gave me a "win from the 4th podium."

And really, was Charleston that obscure? What other city named for a monarch could this have referred to? Georgetown? Louisville? Johnson City?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Since we're commenting on the process, I went as follows: Atlanta. No, clearly not. Um ... Atlanta. No, that's not a monarch. Um, Atlanta? No, brain, no! Look for some cities big at that time or related to the Civil War ... Richmond (no), Montgomery (no), Atlanta (NO, I already told you that!), wait ... Savannah ... OH! Charleston! (at about the 20 second mark).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Charlotte was the wife of George III, and thus was queen-consort. So she might not technically be considered a monarch.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:24 pm I have the tea leaves around 12/18 for 67% for the FJ! round with the percentage dropping when including the stage players. The clue is not as hard as those who missed it made it and it's not quite as easy as those who were done in mere seconds think it was. It's in between.
Having seen the movie many times, I found it straightforward, although not instaget. The movie was pretty much set in Atlanta, Charleston, and the fictitious plantations (Tara, Twelve Oaks). Atlanta wasn't named after a king, but Charleston was, so I went with that one.