Tuesday, May 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bigblue999 »

I'm surprised they didn't get Resident Evil. It's more popular than all the other games mentioned in the category.

I didn't know all the U.N. languages, so I guessed Arabic; after all it was the only language that made sense to be in cursive writing.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:13 pm An example of cursive writing:
Which is in English, not Arabic. Still not seeing it.
Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

This should probably go in the dedicated thread, but since there have been several posts back and forth already, I will continue:

I guess his point is that he considers cursive only to refer to the specific cursive letters used in the Roman/English alphabet, and not to any form of writing in any alphabet in which the letters connect? If he doesn't mean that, then I have no idea what he does mean.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:01 pm
Volante wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:58 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:42 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:33 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:27 pm No guess on FJ! Even when he spotted the other 5, I had no idea that Arabic was the missing one. And I wouldn't remotely consider Arabic "cursive".
And what do you think "cursive" means?
The etymology of the word seems to come from a Latin word for "running". What does that have to do with Arabic?
Don't ask what it has to do with Arabic. Ask what it has to do with writing.
Still not seeing the connection.
I see what you did there
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:28 pm This should probably go in the dedicated thread, but since there have been several posts back and forth already, I will continue:

I guess his point is that he considers cursive only to refer to the specific cursive letters used in the Roman/English alphabet, and not to any form of writing in any alphabet in which the letters connect? If he doesn't mean that, then I have no idea what he does mean.
Exactly
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bigblue999 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:15 pm I'm surprised they didn't get Resident Evil. It's more popular than all the other games mentioned in the category.
Oh no, that one's easily Angry Birds.
Spoiler
Millipede, Angry Birds, Crash Bandicoot, Lemmings, Resident Evil
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

47 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: French Guiana, (George), Tehran, Dashiell Hamnet, Shark :shock:
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

DBear wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:24 pm Also surprised they couldn't pull French Guiana. Dashel Hammitt was also a surprising TS.
bigblue999 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:15 pm I'm surprised they didn't get Resident Evil. It's more popular than all the other games mentioned in the category.
No one is surprised that they didn't get basking SHARK?!?!
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm surprised this FJ played so easy both on set and here on the board. I guess if you know the six UN languages it would be fairly straightforward, but otherwise you've got to think of a language that's only written in cursive and it just wasn't coming to me in 30 seconds.

I guess they don't have those forms where you need to write your name, address, etc. in little boxes in countries that use Arabic! :D
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I totally mixed up Arabic and Hebrew. Kinda' ashamed, since it looks like I'm the only one to make that mistake :oops:.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 33,800
46 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: French Guiana

Oh, Rachel. She made a relatively timid wager from a fairly deep hole in a category where she was obviously confident, and she ends up $100 short, staring down the barrel of a cupcake FJ! That's gotta sting.
You're surprised a trio of middle-aged women didn't know the intricacies of a zombie-hunting video game?
Sprinkles are for winners.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:47 am I'm surprised this FJ played so easy both on set and here on the board. I guess if you know the six UN languages it would be fairly straightforward, but otherwise you've got to think of a language that's only written in cursive and it just wasn't coming to me in 30 seconds.
As a D rundler in LL I'm probably not the best person to judge, but this is my impression too. I just didn't think of Arabic during the think music, but even if I had I'm not sure I would have known to write it down. I do have a couple of Arabic speaking friends who I have seen post stuff on Facebook in Arabic, but I still might not have connected the dots. I should have been able to name the 6 official UN languages, though.

But this was a great game and a very exciting finish!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Arabic just didn't come to me. I went with Russian knowing it was almost certainly wrong. Arabic is such a beautiful written language, though.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:41 am
DBear wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:24 pm Also surprised they couldn't pull French Guiana. Dashel Hammitt was also a surprising TS.
No one is surprised that they didn't get basking SHARK?!?!
Never heard of a basking shark, so no, not surprised.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:07 am You're surprised a trio of middle-aged women didn't know the intricacies of a zombie-hunting video game?
I'm not surprised, either, but I wouldn't call either Rachel or Claire "middle-aged." They both looked pretty young to me.

Per this story Claire got her bachelor's degree from Kentucky in 2012: https://uknow.uky.edu/campus-news/lexin ... tournament That makes her around 27 or 28 probably. This story http://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/fre ... 1165059788 says Rachel graduated college in 2010, so she's only a couple years older than Claire.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I usually do well on aquatic animals but I've NHO basking shark either.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

StevenH wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:47 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:47 am I'm surprised this FJ played so easy both on set and here on the board. I guess if you know the six UN languages it would be fairly straightforward, but otherwise you've got to think of a language that's only written in cursive and it just wasn't coming to me in 30 seconds.
As a D rundler in LL I'm probably not the best person to judge, but this is my impression too. I just didn't think of Arabic during the think music, but even if I had I'm not sure I would have known to write it down. I do have a couple of Arabic speaking friends who I have seen post stuff on Facebook in Arabic, but I still might not have connected the dots. I should have been able to name the 6 official UN languages, though.

But this was a great game and a very exciting finish!
Not to single you two gentlemen out although I'm curious how you play the FJ! round in general? Do you watch on a recording and speed forward from the category reveal to the clue reveal? Do you play the clue early off one of the many available resources where you see the category and clue at the same time?

For U.N. LANGUAGES I would think it's a huge advantage to use the break after the DJ! round and before the FJ! clue is shown to consider what might be asked in the clue. It's likely not going to be a host of options and instead have a more narrow focus.

To me this clue was the type when someone could already have the correct response ready to go along with a short list of limited choices even before seeing the clue. Alex rattled off the languages in play.

If what happened is you guys had five of the six and just could not bring up the sixth then I get that the ouch factor. If you threw away the couple of minutes of extra thinking time then the penalty is just. On the stage the break is there. It can be useful.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:12 am Not to single you two gentlemen out although I'm curious how you play the FJ! round in general? Do you watch on a recording and speed forward from the category reveal to the clue reveal? Do you play the clue early off one of the many available resources where you see the category and clue at the same time?
I always watch live, but must confess about 90% of the time I don't pay attention to the category before the commercial break. Last night I actually did, though, but it didn't help because I didn't realize Arabic was an official U.N. language. Knowing that would have helped immensely.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:12 am Not to single you two gentlemen out although I'm curious how you play the FJ! round in general? Do you watch on a recording and speed forward from the category reveal to the clue reveal? Do you play the clue early off one of the many available resources where you see the category and clue at the same time?

For U.N. LANGUAGES I would think it's a huge advantage to use the break after the DJ! round and before the FJ! clue is shown to consider what might be asked in the clue. It's likely not going to be a host of options and instead have a more narrow focus.

To me this clue was the type when someone could already have the correct response ready to go along with a short list of limited choices even before seeing the clue. Alex rattled off the languages in play.

If what happened is you guys had five of the six and just could not bring up the sixth then I get that the ouch factor. If you threw away the couple of minutes of extra thinking time then the penalty is just. On the stage the break is there. It can be useful.
I almost always watch live. I do DVR every episode but I usually don't bother to watch it unless it's a ToC or super tournament game or someone whom I really want to see is going to be on the show. Like Kirk I sometimes don't pay attention to what the FJ category is before I see the clue, and last night was one of those times. When I do pay attention to the category I sometimes brainstorm ideas for correct responses, hence the 1 or 2 times per season that I can guess the correct FJ response from the category. And if I am watching a recorded episode then I will fast forward through the commercials, but I have never paused the TV to give myself more than 30 seconds after I have seen the FJ clue.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I thought FJ was rather easy. My train of thought: only cursive => not Latin alphabet => probably Asian alphabet => Chinese use ideographs (not cursive) => likely something from S Asia or Middle East. What would be widely used enough to warrant its use as a UN language? Not Urdu/Hindi, Farsi, Tagalog or Hebrew, so gotta be Arabic. I had it 5-10 sec into Think Music.