Tuesday, May 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:37 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:41 am No one is surprised that they didn't get basking SHARK?!?!
Never heard of a basking shark, so no, not surprised.
Me neither too. My off the cuff guess was crocodile. I was focused on the ability to open its mouth a yard wide. But looking back at the clue, see they also specified a 50 foot length for the creature. If crocodiles grow that long, don't tell Archer.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:06 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:41 am No one is surprised that they didn't get basking SHARK?!?!
Me neither too. My off the cuff guess was crocodile. I was focused on the ability to open its mouth a yard wide. But looking back at the clue, see they also specified a 50 foot length for the creature. If crocodiles grow that long, don't tell Archer.
Not so fast, my spheniscid friend
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

With the question about what Alan Bean ruined by pointing at the sun, I fully expected a BMS and was surprised when AT accepted "camera." To be more specific, it was actually a video camera.

They're very different; generally, pointing a film camera of that era at the sun wouldn't "wreck" the camera. It was possible to burn a hole in the curtain of focal-plane shutter (like burning ants with magnifying glass), but that took more than just a brief glimpse of the sun. All it took to ruin Bean's video camera was a momentary peek in the wrong direction.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:47 am I'm surprised this FJ played so easy both on set and here on the board. I guess if you know the six UN languages it would be fairly straightforward, but otherwise you've got to think of a language that's only written in cursive and it just wasn't coming to me in 30 seconds.

I guess they don't have those forms where you need to write your name, address, etc. in little boxes in countries that use Arabic! :D
Arabic did not occur to me in the :30 (of course it should have, since Hebrew did). Or in the 3:00 or thereabouts preceding, since I tend to do other things then...
I guess my definition of cursive, and my observation of Cyrillic, both need work. Because I got to Russian and couldn't think of anything better...Not one of my proudest FJ moments... :oops:
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:41 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:07 am You're surprised a trio of middle-aged women didn't know the intricacies of a zombie-hunting video game?
I'm not surprised, either, but I wouldn't call either Rachel or Claire "middle-aged." They both looked pretty young to me.

Per this story Claire got her bachelor's degree from Kentucky in 2012: https://uknow.uky.edu/campus-news/lexin ... tournament That makes her around 27 or 28 probably. This story http://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/fre ... 1165059788 says Rachel graduated college in 2010, so she's only a couple years older than Claire.
Yeah, I didn't think that description was quite apt--unless we're assuming quite a wide middle, which, come to think of it, applies to me in more ways than one. Maybe "adult women" would have been a better descriptor.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I guess it helped to know that a lot of British people call cursive "joined-up writing" for this FJ.

Another thing about the Resident Evil clue: if anything, Rachel and Claire are too young to be aware of it. The heyday of the games as a pop culture phenomenon in the US was in the mid-to-late '90s, maaaaaaybe stretching to 2005 if I'm being very generous. If they didn't hang out with older dirtbags as children or teens, they probably never came into contact with the games. And the movies, as many as there were, weren't popular.
Last edited by dinghammer on Wed May 16, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

davey wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:49 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:47 am I'm surprised this FJ played so easy both on set and here on the board. I guess if you know the six UN languages it would be fairly straightforward, but otherwise you've got to think of a language that's only written in cursive and it just wasn't coming to me in 30 seconds.

I guess they don't have those forms where you need to write your name, address, etc. in little boxes in countries that use Arabic! :D
Arabic did not occur to me in the :30 (of course it should have, since Hebrew did). Or in the 3:00 or thereabouts preceding, since I tend to do other things then...
I think that the key to remembering the UN languages (other than rote memorization) is that they are the world languages that are the primary language of either 1) a permanent member of the Security Council or 2) a significant number of member nations. The only language that arguably satisfies one of these criteria but doesn't make the cut is Portuguese.
Sprinkles are for winners.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

Strong, exciting game between Rachel and Claire. Rachel's Coryat was higher by $200, but Claire was ahead by $100 since she beat $3k on her DD while Rachel bet $2.5k.

Possibly the easiest FJ of the tournament for a slightly anticlimactic finish.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:06 pm
Maybe this is a good one for the weekly poll. On a DD, I'd have answered "python."
Greenfan

Post by Greenfan »

Bamaman wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:03 pm Alex’s opening comments are why you should watch the games in order.

A boardie shoutout to end the first round.

Had this been a TS, we’d have had another case of second place overwatering away a win. I wondered if the leader would bet small due to second place’s constraints, but she wisely didn’t rely on someone else betting logically and made the winning bet. I imagine being a student of languages, she liked the category.

I didn’t write down the UN languages in my mind pre-FJ, but I got this one pretty quickly.
Wouldn't second place have won on a triple-stumper?