Wednesday, May 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse »

Am I the only person who heard booing when Larry correctly answered his Daily Double?
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

acthomas wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:58 pm
Saturnalia wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:32 pm SOCIOLOGY $800 : First communion can be this type of 3-word ritual representing a change from one role to another.

Does a response of "Coming-of-age" work for you guys? (EDIT: Or "Coming of age" -- no hyphens -- rather.)
That's what I said, but I'm not loving it.
That was my guess, too, but I don't think so. Coming of age refers, in my mind, to more of a puberty->adulthood ritual. First Communion, for 8 year olds, would not qualify. A rite of passage could be passing from any life stage into a subsequent one. Retirement, graduation, first job, first kid, first alcoholic drink, and First Communion might all be rites of passage, but one only comes of age one time.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I tried spending the whole time coming up with Ithaca. Can't imagine I would've ever made it to the horse.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

tiwonge wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:49 pm First Communion, for 8 year olds, would not qualify. A rite of passage could be passing from any life stage into a subsequent one. Retirement, graduation, first job, first kid, first alcoholic drink, and First Communion might all be rites of passage, but one only comes of age one time.
While it used to be done at an early age, Communion should actually be (and now is, for the most part) done following Confirmation and is the coming of age ceremony in the Catholic faith.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

51 R
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Tiber), Why, Alaska, Necklaces
Douglas Squasoni
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 pm "Pine" was what gave it to me.
"Ribbed" made me think of Trojan.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lefty wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:22 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 pm "Pine" was what gave it to me.
Good one. Did the writers do that for their pleasure?
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Welllllll.... I'm 60% of the way to the Box Of Shame.

Somehow, the description led me to a mountain, so I criss-crossed Greek and Roman and went with Olympus. :roll:
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

"Trojan horse" is one of those phrases I worry about blurting out incorrectly under the lights; in this case "Trojan bunny" (from Monty Python, which I watched long before being exposed to the Iliad) seems like just that sort of thing I might say / write by accident. (The other one, a mistake I've made while playing along at home: putting "Bonnie Prince Billy" at the Battle of Culloden.)
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

econgator wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:59 pm
tiwonge wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:49 pm First Communion, for 8 year olds, would not qualify. A rite of passage could be passing from any life stage into a subsequent one. Retirement, graduation, first job, first kid, first alcoholic drink, and First Communion might all be rites of passage, but one only comes of age one time.
While it used to be done at an early age, Communion should actually be (and now is, for the most part) done following Confirmation and is the coming of age ceremony in the Catholic faith.
I know of no parish that does it this way. (That doesn't mean that none do it this way, but I don't think the "for the most part" is accurate.) I may be mistaken because I don't have kids myself, but all the photos I see from friends of First Communion are of young children.

A non-random sample of parishes (via google) also has all of them administering First Communion to children in 2nd grade.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 40,400
49 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Alaska, Seattle (DD)

I was lost on FJ! Even though "womb" was in quotes, I still took it fairly literally, thinking that it was referring to a mythical birth story a la Athena springing from the head of Zeus. I also missed DD1, going for "historic river" + Italy --> Rubicon. I only got DD3 because I know that 50 Shades started out as Twilight fan fiction, and the latter series is set in Washington.

Pavlov I couldn't pull: still-life + French --> Cezanne.

KFC's pot pies are delicious.

Larry is a beast. He's my favorite to win it all.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:47 pm Am I the only person who heard booing when Larry correctly answered his Daily Double?
I hear something that could be a boo when he chooses the Daily Double, not when he responds to it. But it's probably just a particularly raucous reaction.
I didn't accept "coming of age" for myself, but the wording is so indefinite ("First Communion can be...) I think they might have reversed on it.
I don't blame anybody whom "womb" took other places, but "Ulysses" and made with pine sent me in the right direction.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I heard a celebratory "Whoo!" several times from the audience; I doubt it was a boo.

I had coming of age as well. I think it's marginal, and not what they wanted, but they'd probably have to take it.

Didn't come close to the rabbit horse. Went with Mt. Olympus, but was pretty sure it was wrong. I never even thought of a non-geographical object. My reaction at the reveal was "Huh".
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

tiwonge wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:19 am
I know of no parish that does it this way. (That doesn't mean that none do it this way, but I don't think the "for the most part" is accurate.) I may be mistaken because I don't have kids myself, but all the photos I see from friends of First Communion are of young children.

A non-random sample of parishes (via google) also has all of them administering First Communion to children in 2nd grade.
Tiwonge, I concur with your analysis. My 2nd grader made his first communion earlier this month; that is the near-universal timeframe as far as I know (at least in Middle America).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

merica wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:29 am
tiwonge wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:19 am

Tiwonge, I concur with your analysis. My 2nd grader made his first communion earlier this month; that is the near-universal timeframe as far as I know (at least in Middle America).
My sister's nephew had his first communion recently and I think he's probably 13 or 14, so apparently it's a thing in some places. He's in San Diego for the record.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Volante wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:35 pm I tried spending the whole time coming up with Ithaca. Can't imagine I would've ever made it to the horse.
And I thought I was the only one.
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 am

Lefty wrote: ↑Thu May 17, 2018 12:22 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: ↑Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 pm
"Pine" was what gave it to me.
And just when I thought I couldn't love this board more than I already do...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

doriko wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:53 pm
Post by MarkBarrett » Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 am

Lefty wrote: ↑Thu May 17, 2018 12:22 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: ↑Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 pm
"Pine" was what gave it to me.
And just when I thought I couldn't love this board more than I already do...
It is a weird name for the product when you think about it. Basically makes you think of something that gets inside and then a hole opens up, letting all the seamen out.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Larry was arguably the most impressive player in the quarters and arguably now in the semis, too. I thought it was probably the easiest FJ of the tournament, moreso even than the UN language from a day prior. And yet, it went 1/3 and plenty of fine trivia minds missed it on this board.

Should be an exciting Finals.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This reminds me about the old local urban legend about the headlines produced when Topeka High School (the Trojans) played football against crosstown rivals Seaman Academy.