Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

kprather895 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:38 am
IronNeck wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:38 pm
Spoiler
But whereas I can understand someone who is not into movies struggling with that one, Dan has no one to blame but himself for missing the $7k question. Even if he is bad pop culture (although I'm shaky on it and knew Rihanna was from Barbados), it is either foolhardy or lazy not to look up all the word capitals if you're going on a game show.
Spoiler
All 193 of them? Can you name them all without googling?
I couldn't name them all, but I can reliably name a country given a capital or vice versa for all of them.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:52 pm
IronNeck wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:41 pm
Golf wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:56 pm
Yes. And have been since 1999. You hadn't noticed?
Heh, I've only seen a dozen episodes total, if even that, since Regis stopped hosting.

I've come across way more questions from MarkBarrett's updates in this topic.
Understood. It has gone way downhill since the prime time days. But that shouldn't stop good trivia players from taking advantage of free money given the opportunity.
I wonder if the move to Vegas has hurt the quality of advice you get from the audience.
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

I haven't watched this season after watching almost every episode. Has anyone won a lot of money this season?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:56 pm
kerryoakie wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:27 pm As long as you're making "forward progress," you're allowed to think as long as necessary. If they see you fumbling around just trying to buy time, they can force you to walk away. This is why they encourage you to say absolutely everything out loud and not think in your head; they can't tell if you're making progress or spacing out otherwise.
triviawayne wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:05 pm There is a ton of editing, and yes, if you're circling the drain, they let you keep circling, but if you're not progressing toward the correct answer, they can and will stop you.
Is that what they tell contestants these days? Does anybody have a concrete example of a contestant being forced to walk away
Yes
Total game show career losings = $171,522
LanceJ
Contributor

Post by LanceJ »

kprather895 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:38 am
IronNeck wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:38 pm
Spoiler
But whereas I can understand someone who is not into movies struggling with that one, Dan has no one to blame but himself for missing the $7k question. Even if he is bad pop culture (although I'm shaky on it and knew Rihanna was from Barbados), it is either foolhardy or lazy not to look up all the word capitals if you're going on a game show.
Spoiler
All 193 of them? Can you name them all without googling?
Spoiler
I agree that world capitals is basically step 2 (after US state capitals) when prepping for a game show. I think IronNeck's post came off as kind of mean-spirited but it's not wrong
on a non-question-related Q, anyone else tape for this season and still haven't been called with an air date? i'm dying here, millionaire tptb.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the 5/16 episode:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Tiffany Bolton going for $10,000
Next:
Spoiler
Her reasoning was there are not that many people on Family Feud and there are a lot of spaces on the wheel. She left with the +1 unused and $5,000.
Next:
Spoiler
Gregg Meller going for $30,000
Next:
Spoiler
Gregg had already used his +1 to get $20,000.  He used his ATA which gave:
India 38%
Iraq 35%
Egypt 28%
Vietnam 6%
Next:
Spoiler
The 50:50 left India & Egypt
Next:
Spoiler
Gregg locked in Egypt and left with $5,000.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Univision used to air Mexican Let's Make a Deal while I was getting ready for work. It's surprisingly language-neutral.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Spoiler
I don't know much spanish, but I got Family Feud based on "We surveyed 100 people..."

I didn't get the India question because I thought there was either more than one official language or no official language at all.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The results of the 5/17 episode:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Rachel Lane going for $10,000
Next:
Spoiler
Rachel had her +1 & 50:50 available.  She knew Anne was Canada, Scout was the South and Dorothy was Kansas.  She admitted she had not read The Catcher in the Rye.  Rachel locked in Holden Caulfield and left with $5,000 as Dorothy was the closest.
Next:
Spoiler
Ken Johnson with his ATA and +1 available
$10,000
Next:
Spoiler
Ken used the ATA and it gave him:
Riboflavin: 40%
Retinol: 22%
Ascorbic acid: 19%
Niacin: 19%
Next:
Spoiler
Ken went with the audience and left with $5,000 as Retinol is Vitamin A. Riboflavin is B2, Niacin is B3, and Ascorbic acid is of course Vitamin C. When I first read the question I thought for a moment it was going to be all Bs and I would have to recall the corresponding number and alphabetize from there. Classic case of overthinking. Once I realized I was looking at a decent report card mix and not a poorer one it was easy.
Next:
Spoiler
There was time to call down audience member Megan Alexander to play for $1,000
The reaction from the audience was immediate and quite audible by Millionaire's standard.
Roseanne - Conner Family
Full House - Tanner Family
3rd Rock from the Sun - Solomon family
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Spoiler
After the first contestant I was ready to post something snarky about not using lifelines...and then the next one gets screwed by ATA. YIKES!!! Did they misread the question, or did 40% of them actually think riboflavin is vitamin A??

That last one...eh whatever. She's probably never seen any of them, I'd look just as bad if you asked me about the wrong group of 1960s shows.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

How does one not read Catcher in the Rye at some point? And why would you guess instead of using a lifeline if that's the case?
xxaaaxx wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:32 pm
Spoiler
After the first contestant I was ready to post something snarky about not using lifelines...and then the next one gets screwed by ATA. YIKES!!! Did they misread the question, or did 40% of them actually think riboflavin is vitamin A??

That last one...eh whatever. She's probably never seen any of them, I'd look just as bad if you asked me about the wrong group of 1960s shows.
Spoiler
Don't know about that. I'm 31 and watched all those shows growing up. They were on air for a very long time, are still in heavy syndication, and two even have modern-day revivals. Even if she is 18-20 (which I doubt, looking at her), those aren't so bad, unless virtually every TV-related question is bad for you.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

IronNeck wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:48 pm How does one not read Catcher in the Rye at some point? And why would you guess instead of using a lifeline if that's the case?
xxaaaxx wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:32 pm
Spoiler

Spoiler
Don't know about that. I'm 31 and watched all those shows growing up. They were on air for a very long time, are still in heavy syndication, and two even have modern-day revivals. Even if she is 18-20 (which I doubt, looking at her), those aren't so bad, unless virtually every TV-related question is bad for you.
If I'm running the carnival age/weight/birth date game and I have to be within 2 +/- I would go with 24 to cover 22-26 and be surprised not to have the right age range.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Why is Holden Caulfield not correct? He tells the story in a hospital(ish place) in SoCal. That's certainly much closer than Kansas.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:04 pm If I'm running the carnival age/weight/birth date game and I have to be within 2 +/- I would go with 24 to cover 22-26 and be surprised not to have the right age range.
Yeah, I agree. My guess was 25.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:47 pm Why is Holden Caulfield not correct? He tells the story in a hospital(ish place) in SoCal. That's certainly much closer than Kansas.
I have no idea and when playing I thought he was NY. Who can find Rachel Lane and see if she has done anything about it? Or can someone figure out why perhaps HC is not right? Mistakes happen on game shows and if Rachel was unfairly disadvantaged she should be back on the show.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 pm
econgator wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:47 pm Why is Holden Caulfield not correct? He tells the story in a hospital(ish place) in SoCal. That's certainly much closer than Kansas.
I have no idea and when playing I thought he was NY. Who can find Rachel Lane and see if she has done anything about it? Or can someone figure out why perhaps HC is not right? Mistakes happen on game shows and if Rachel was unfairly disadvantaged she should be back on the show.
Hmmm. I thought there was something in the book that mentioned where the hospital was, but I may be mistaken. Been too long since I've read it.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

econgator wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:16 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 pm
Hmmm. I thought there was something in the book that mentioned where the hospital was, but I may be mistaken. Been too long since I've read it.
You're being far too modest; your memory is excellent. I looked it up, and Holden does indeed narrate the story from a hospital in SoCal, a detail I didn't remember myself despite a clear recollection of the book's events and many of the names.

So you're absolutely correct, and Rachel has a legitimate case to be brought back.
davey

Post by davey »

And Dorothy lives in Oz for most of her book, so she's gotta be farthest away!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The question asked where the character lived. Had Holden taken up permanent residence in California or was he just there for treatment?
davey

Post by davey »

I'll just tell you about this madman stuff that happened to me around last Christmas just before I got pretty run-down and had to come out here and take it easy. I mean, that's all I told D.B. about, and he's my brother and all. He's in Hollywood. That isn't too far from this crumby place, and he comes over and visits me practically every week end. He's going to drive me home when I go home next month maybe.

I believe this is the entire reference.