Thursday, May 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dinghammer
No Relation

Re: Thursday, May 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dinghammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 pm I've never heard of plumbago. I was trying to pull "lumbago" from the recesses of my brain, and I would have happily added a "P" to the front of it, but it just wasn't coming.
Same here. I finally remembered the word just before Larry's answer was revealed, and even then I was like, "What the hell is plumbago?" (Apparently it's a word the Google keyboard knows.)
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

I’ve heard of lumbago but not in any current usage, and plumbago as a plant, but never as a term for graphite. I had no answer, since most back conditions I know start with “s”.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I bit on the Proverbs negbait for ask/seek/knock. That was a tough one. After the Proverbs neg I couldn't ferret out which of the four Gospels it was.

The Rap category seemed very YEKIOYD. I should've known Mask Off = Future because I've been dealing with a Wikipedia vandal who keeps trying to say that Alan Jackson has covered a bunch of rap songs in concert, including that one.

Not the slightest bit of recognition in the Books category in DJ!

O2S was my only miss in Auto Abbreviations.

Neither mom nor I could think of another word for pencil lead. NHO the correct response.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said "plombago". Judges?
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I also said "pscoliosis".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I've heard of lumbago, but even had I thought of it I would have discounted plumbago as a nonsense word.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I have a dim recollection of hearing lumbago once upon a time (perhaps a Three Stooges episode?) but to the best of my knowledge never heard plumbago and would have dismissed it as a nonsense word (along with the psciatica and pscoliosis that I briefly considered). As time drifted away I tried adding a P to the end of various words and of course got no further.

I'd be curious to see a poll question about knowing lumbago but never hearing of plumbago, yet got the response right regardless.

Edit: I just did a google search for plumbago and it did not return any first-page references to pencil lead (although my results may be atypical since I have recently been doing searches on shrubbery and ground covers, hence poisoning the well so to speak).
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I have heard with lumbago.

I may have heard the word plumbago.

I probably thought plumbago was also a disease.

I would never in a million years have thought plumbago was another name for pencil lead.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Knew lumbago, but didn't come up with it. Like Opus, it didn't specify at the beginning of the word. So eventually came up with sciaticap after dismissing pslipped disc.

Yeah, those were tough boards.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Total WAG on FJ. Never heard of plumbago, but locked in to back pain = lumbago, add a p in front, hm...plumbago sounds kinda like plumbum, latin name for lead. Got nothing else so go with it. Really, plumbago is a thing? :o
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

38 R
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Matthew, (From Here to Eternity)

The Year category was an easy run for me. (Was hoping for some harder ones.)

Thanks to the Battle of the Decades episode, Final Jeopardy was an instaget! :D
Douglas Squasoni
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Another response of "plumbago" as a wild guess here.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Alex's "I got this one quickly!" and the insinuation that it was relatively simple was one of the funniest, most misguided observations I've ever heard from him, and there have been some howlers.

I agree with others that this was very, very difficult. Possibly one of the absolute hardest all year. I couldn't even come up with a guess myself.

Perhaps I'm dating myself, but the $1000 hip-hop TS was also by far the easiest for me. (I got 3/5 in the category) I know who Jay-Z is, but Fortune? Huh?

Anywho, as expected, Larry dominated the game. Even with the big hit on FJ, he still has a very comfortable lead after the first show.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I think I may have heard of lumbago, as my dad had a bad back, and sometimes referred to it as that. I was able to connect the dots to get the plumb from the beginning of the clue, but I just couldn't make the leap to the correct answer, and I couldn't get lumbar out of my brain, so I finally went with plumbaritis.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Mark another one for psciatica. I'm now oh for four this week on FJ.

Not one, but two "remember this is a two-game, total point affair" mentions by Alex tonight!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought, "Well, if you add a p to 'lumbar' it begins with 'plumb,' but lumbar is just an adjective," then went elsewhere and got lost in the mists. But I got back to "lumbar" and remembered lumbago, and "plumbago" sounded vaguely familiar to me. (My dad got to it at about the same time I did.)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I guess I’m in the minority getting FJ as a near instaget. Plumbago sounded vaguely familiar and the plumb- lead connection sealed the deal for me. Larry is sneaky good and I forward to seeing how he fares in a TOC if he can hang on for the win tomorrow.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

So far the box in the weekly poll for "I had heard of plumbago as a synonym for pencil lead before the Thursday FJ clue" is coasting along at what, 0%?
Shogun2049
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Shogun2049 »

Am I the only one who noticed that the $400 question in Round 2 for "21st Century Best Sellers" was wrong? The Da Vinci Code came BEFORE the two books "Angels & Demons" and "The Lost Symbol". There was no book between those two. The order is The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, The Lost Symbol, Inferno, and Origin. Not sure how she got that right other than the fact most only know of the first book, The Da Vinci Code.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Off topic, but seeing Larry and Claire playing again made me wonder: has there ever been a tourney where all 3 finalists came from the same QF match? I know 2 has happened several times not including this one.

On topic: after seeing the word, lumbago seems very vaguely familiar. Plumbago, on the other hand, doesn't, even with the archive hits posted above. I was debating between scoliopsis and scopliosis once I dismissed herpniated disc. I knew they were wrong, but would've thrown one down just to have something.