Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:15 pm The question asked where the character lived. Had Holden taken up permanent residence in California or was he just there for treatment?
It says "lived", not "purchased a home and put down roots". I was stationed in Charleston, SC for 6 weeks for school. Does that mean I can't say I've lived in Charleston? They simply didn't pin the question well enough.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

davey wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:02 pm I'll just tell you about this madman stuff that happened to me around last Christmas just before I got pretty run-down and had to come out here and take it easy. I mean, that's all I told D.B. about, and he's my brother and all. He's in Hollywood. That isn't too far from this crumby place, and he comes over and visits me practically every week end. He's going to drive me home when I go home next month maybe.

I believe this is the entire reference.
Hollywood, Florida? :D
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

French for "already seen" from the 5/18 episode:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Monya De going for $20,000
Next:
Spoiler
Monya was not sure and thought it was either South Korea or The Philippines.  South Korea final answer.  She left with $5,000 and all lifelines available.
Next:
Spoiler
Kevin Daniels going for $7,000
Next:
Spoiler
After using the ATA to get to $5,000 he and his wife agreed to use the 50:50 which left Kirkman & Underwood.  They went Kirkman thinking that Mortimer sounded like an old-timey name and Oscar not so much.  The Spacey character is/was Frank Underwood.
Next:
Spoiler
There was time to call down Alyssa Ardman from the audience to play for $1,000.  She is a last-year grad student at Radford in VA if we are playing the age game again as this episode felt a lot like I had just seen it yesterday.
I am guessing the season has two weeks to go with June 1 the last new episode?
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:35 pm French for "already seen" from the 5/18 episode:
My airing got preempted for breaking news. Do you (or someone else) have the rest of the post-$5K clues from today handy?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

acthomas wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:35 pm French for "already seen" from the 5/18 episode:
My airing got preempted for breaking news. Do you (or someone else) have the rest of the post-$5K clues from today handy?
I'll give you the fast version:
Spoiler

Monya $7,000
Skullcandy company specializes in :
Earrings
Sunglasses
Hair Clips
Headphones

Monya $10,000
Britain dish with sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter with gravy:
Frog on the log
Toad in the hole
Newt in the boot
Lizard on the grass

Kevin $500
Smashed over the hull of a ship for christening:
Suntan lotion
Champagne
Ketchup
Body glitter

$1000
Hong Kong stock market is "Hang...":
Tough
Over
Seng
A right at the corner

$2000
Nashville legend Bobby Braddock "The King of Tears" did not write or co-write:
Hard Times
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
He Stopped Loving Her Today
What Does the Fox Say?

$3000
Arizona desert:
Ceramic
Painted
Chiseled
Woven

$5000
"Animal Farm", "Infinite Jest" & "The Hunger Games" all on Wikipedia page "List of":
Dystopian Literature
Novels with Talking Animals
Books larger than 1,000 pages
Stories about Archery
Answers:
Spoiler
headphones, toad in the hole, champagne, Seng, What Does the Fox Say?, Painted Desert, Dystopian Literature
davey

Post by davey »

triviawayne wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:11 pm
davey wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:02 pm I'll just tell you about this madman stuff that happened to me around last Christmas just before I got pretty run-down and had to come out here and take it easy. I mean, that's all I told D.B. about, and he's my brother and all. He's in Hollywood. That isn't too far from this crumby place, and he comes over and visits me practically every week end. He's going to drive me home when I go home next month maybe.

I believe this is the entire reference.
Hollywood, Florida? :D
The brother is the author of The Secret Goldfish. Holden calls him a prostitute. So I'm pretty sure he's a screenwriter in CA. Technically, I suppose, we can never be sure... ;)
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:04 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:15 pm The question asked where the character lived. Had Holden taken up permanent residence in California or was he just there for treatment?
It says "lived", not "purchased a home and put down roots". I was stationed in Charleston, SC for 6 weeks for school. Does that mean I can't say I've lived in Charleston? They simply didn't pin the question well enough.
You can't blame anybody for forgetting that paragraph of your book, though... :)
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:59 pm
acthomas wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:42 pm
I'll give you the fast version:
Spoiler

Monya $7,000
Skullcandy company specializes in :
Earrings
Sunglasses
Hair Clips
Headphones

Monya $10,000
Britain dish with sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter with gravy:
Frog on the log
Toad in the hole
Newt in the boot
Lizard on the grass

Kevin $500
Smashed over the hull of a ship for christening:
Suntan lotion
Champagne
Ketchup
Body glitter

$1000
Hong Kong stock market is "Hang...":
Tough
Over
Seng
A right at the corner

$2000
Nashville legend Bobby Braddock "The King of Tears" did not write or co-write:
Hard Times
D-I-V-O-R-C-E
He Stopped Loving Her Today
What Does the Fox Say?

$3000
Arizona desert:
Ceramic
Painted
Chiseled
Woven

$5000
"Animal Farm", "Infinite Jest" & "The Hunger Games" all on Wikipedia page "List of":
Dystopian Literature
Novels with Talking Animals
Books larger than 1,000 pages
Stories about Archery
Answers:
Spoiler
headphones, toad in the hole, champagne, Seng, What Does the Fox Say?, Painted Desert, Dystopian Literature
Thanks!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Monya is an O'Brien's Pub Quiz regular.

I was worried she'd be wrong because I missed a DD on Jeopardy by saying the South China Sea, and I thought I recalled the clue mentioning Korea, so my guess was that the correct response, the Yellow Sea, is what China and Korea share. (After finishing that sentence I checked my game, and looked up the Yellow Sea on Wikipedia, and I was right about both.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One question from the 5/21 episode:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Christopher Bakka going for $20,000
Next:
Spoiler
Christopher said wheels are rotini and had trouble picturing pasta as being stars, worms or bell shaped.  He said he is Italian. He went to the audience and they gave him:

52% Small wheels
31% Small bells
10% Small worms
7% Small stars
Next:
Spoiler
As soon as Christopher saw the polling results he made D final answer.
Next:
Spoiler
He left with $5,000 and the 50:50 and +1 unused as A: Small bells was the correct answer.
My comments:
Spoiler
The night before I went on J! I used part of dinner conversation with a co-worker and her daughter to ask about pasta shape names and Greek dishes. None of it came up in my games, but I thought it was something on which I could quickly put away a few facts.

For Millionaire I've seen many questions about pasta shapes and I suggest any contestant take a run through them. For the record small worms are vermicelli and small stars are stellini.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spoiler
Should have been gettable. A campanile is a bell tower.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

alietr wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:13 pm
Spoiler
I got it from what campanology is the study/practice of.

(Excessive use of spoiler tags here?)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

In addition to what others have noted,
Spoiler
if he knew that rotini corresponded to D and that choice was thus clearly wrong, why did he second-guess himself and go with D?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

acthomas wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:29 pm
alietr wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:13 pm
Spoiler
I got it from what campanology is the study/practice of.

(Excessive use of spoiler tags here?)
Campaniform - Shaped like a bell. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Margaret Schugt faced a $5,000 question:

A "davenport" and a "chesterfield" are two kinds of what type of furniture?
A. Chair B. Couch C. Lamp D. Ottoman
Spoiler
She said that her initial thought wasn't even in the choices. She'd already used ATA, so she called her +1 from the audience. He didn't really know either, but he remembered that the Barenaked Ladies song "If I Had a Million Dollars" had the lyric "I'd buy you some furniture, a chesterfield or an ottoman," and so he thought that those two would be very similar things. They still weren't sure, though, so she used the 50/50, which left B and D. Thinking a couch wasn't fancy enough to have those fancy names, she made D her final answer.
Spoiler
B was correct and she left empty-handed.
Spoiler
+1 had the key (at least after the 50:50), but interpreted the lyric the wrong way. If a chesterfield had been a type of ottoman, "a chesterfield or an ottoman" would be redundant. That song has silly lyrics, and I could easily see Barenaked Ladies being intentionally redundant, but the +1 took the words at face value, and dodged logic with his gut feeling about them.
The episode finished with Lynn Yu, an O'Brien's regular who made her hosting debut last week, using her 50/50 and answering the $7,000 question correctly, so she'll be back tomorrow with two lifelines remaining.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:43 pm Margaret Schugt faced a $5,000 question:

A "davenport" and a "chesterfield" are two kinds of what type of furniture?
A. Chair B. Couch C. Lamp D. Ottoman
"It's two chimps on a davenport in a basement!" -Wayne's World
"Sit on the chesterfield". -my grandma
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'll call dibs on the 5/23 episode and work on a summary to post in a bit. Sg: I'm thinking I see the game before you so I want to save you working on a similar thing. Thank you for the post yesterday as watching it once was more than enough and revisiting it for a post here would not have been fun. Not that either of us have signed on to do recaps on any kind of regular basis.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 5/23 episode:
Spoiler
Spoiler

Lynn Yu returning to see the $10,000 question
Next:
Spoiler
She had no idea and went to the audience.  They gave her:
Future: 22%
Kid Cudi: 11%
Swizz Beatz: 64%
Earl Sweatshirt: 3%
Next:
Spoiler
The audience was right.
$20,000
Next:
Spoiler
Lynn worked out to go with Technology, entertainment & design.
$30,000
Next:
Spoiler
The +1 Tanay is a high school friend of Lynn's and he won $5,000 last season: http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52543  They did not demonstrate a lot of knowledge on the wives, but worked out enough to go for Jane Seymour.
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
Lynn was excellent in working through the choices while speaking aloud to share her thinking process.  Benches, final answer.
$100,000
Next:
Spoiler
Once again Lynn did a lot of verbal sharing to give insight how she was thinking.  Snow White, final answer.
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer was Rapunzel.  Lynn had thought perhaps Snow White and the Huntsman got it on, as she put it.
There was time to bring Rachel Reagan down from the audience for $1,000
Next:
Spoiler
Yay!  Rachel knew  to go with Doing the laundry to win the money to conclude a good episode.  It was refreshing to see there was still something good left to show for May sweeps after many disappointing eps. this month.  7 shows to go this season.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:21 pm I'll call dibs on the 5/23 episode and work on a summary to post in a bit. Sg: I'm thinking I see the game before you so I want to save you working on a similar thing. Thank you for the post yesterday as watching it once was more than enough and revisiting it for a post here would not have been fun. Not that either of us have signed on to do recaps on any kind of regular basis.
I'm generally not interested in doing any semblance of a complete recap anyway. Sometimes I just want to pick apart a thought process that may have led a contestant astray.

Speaking of which,
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:53 pm
Spoiler

Once again Lynn did a lot of verbal sharing to give insight how she was thinking. Snow White, final answer.
The correct answer was Rapunzel. Lynn had thought perhaps Snow White and the Huntsman got it on, as she put it.
Spoiler
The way I approached the question, I figured that someone who complained that clothes didn't fit her anymore would be someone who wouldn't have access to the outside world, hence Rapunzel. Moreover, Lynn operated under the assumption that Rapunzel's life was utterly solitary, whereas the "Let down your hair" quotation is spoken by someone who had begun visiting her regularly. I don't mind her thinking that Snow White had an interlude with the huntsman before stumbling into the seven dwarves' home, but Rapunzel's story as I know it has the most room for pregnancy of the four choices.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

It looks like Central Park is said to have 26,000 trees, certainly seemed quite plausible that this number could be in the 9,000s. Anyone have a good reason why one should know to go benches over trees? Maybe the precise number given? Obviously every bench had to be procured and installed, so would make sense to have an exact count, while trees would be tougher to pin down.