Thursday, April 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
MrDanZak
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Thursday, April 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MrDanZak »

Sorry to post here about this, but I'm the Washington Post reporter who's writing about Trebek and "Jeopardy!" and I'm looking to get back in touch with alietr to talk on the phone: [email protected].
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

I guess everyone around here can guess what clue I was silently screaming the answer to while I was sitting in the studio. I think the minute it was revealed all the contestants sitting in the audience immediately turned to look at me. Once again, the Canadian content slips through my fingers.

Funny game that went in fits and starts. Very impressed with Carol and some of her gets, like Malmsey wine (never heard of it), barbitol, Hagar, Kingsolver and Michigan, among others. She just seemed to come out of nowhere to grab the lead, then lost it after Dan's true DD, then stormed back and recaptured it with a string of three $2,000 clues. Loved Dan's true DD, too. And good on Nathan for some hard gets late (Marmee, in particular) to stay in it. Real nice guy, too. Shared a cab back to the hotel and an airport shuttle Wednesday with him and his equally nice wife. Too many negs sunk his boat, for sure.

Again we see a Final bet that is wrong, wrong, wrong but is rewarded by a sole get. I think Carol overbet by a bit, too.

Surprised that Battle of the Boyne went answered, as well as Iron Man, and maybe Garfield, after WH Harrison and McKinley were eliminated.

I'm not sure what the reaction to Final will be, but I kinda liked it, as it made you draw on two different spheres of knowledge — sports and presidents. It's also one of those classic J! clues were they ask you who was prez in that grey area between election and inauguration. A real good brain-teaser in my book.

The In The Bookstore category made me think of those rock star bios from yesterday, and the value of reading the NYT Book Review every Sunday. I think anyone who does that would have breezed through those two categories.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

I assume "palm" cannot be accepted for "palmetto"? And I didn't ring in, but "thermal" for "geothermal"?
heisman65, I'm sure you said this somewhere, but I have to break down and ask: What is your airdate?
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Who was the President When...
The Jets beat the heavily favored Colts in Super Bowl III.
Spoiler
Who is Lyndon B. Johnson? Nathan said Nixon; Carol said Kennedy.
Dan Adkison: $9,600+$9,000=$18,600...now a 2-day champion with $31,800
Nathan Fuller: $1,200-$200=$1,000
Carol Golliher: $14,200-$6,000=$8,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

My air date is Monday, jeopardyfan. Big bash planned, too. If anyone here is near Kamloops, B.C., you're welcome to drop by.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

thejeopardyfan wrote:I assume "palm" cannot be accepted for "palmetto"? And I didn't ring in, but "thermal" for "geothermal"?
Nope and nope. I suspect both would elicit a BMS, but neither is specific enough. Sorry!

I almost fell for the Nixon trap, but changed my reply about midway through the music.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Do I even need to say anything? :mrgreen: Hell, I even managed to precall Alex's 'tricky' comments.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

For FJ, I correctly determined the year was 1969, but I went with Nixon.

Just my opinion, but I think "brainstorm" should have been negged. I have never heard that word used to describe part of an EEG chart and it is not equivalent to "brainwave."
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

So they didn't know Harper, but I bet they knew that diesel has a green handle.

While I doubt they would have gotten either of the two remaining Duke questions, I am very unhappy that we did not get to see them.

Fortunately the Nat'l Air and Space fiasco earlier this week had me looking for a trick on FJ; I reasoned that the Super Bowl used to be much earlier to figure that LBJ would have been President for the next few days. Of course, it is practically a month later than it used to be at this point.

But REALLY, is there an LA pub missing its question writer? This is the most pub trivia-ish of pub trivia questions they could run out there. Between this and the museum question, they've asked for some pretty fine-grained knowledge of the FJs this week.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

DWS wrote:For FJ, I correctly determined the year was 1969, but I went with Nixon.

Just my opinion, but I think "brainstorm" should have been negged. I have never heard that word used to describe part of an EEG chart and it is not equivalent to "brainwave."
What were they even looking for there? I mean just ask for "brainwave" and get it over with, I am sure at least two of them would know what an EEG is.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wow, I thought Game Shows would be an easy 5/5. But I clammed on the WWTBaM question because I thought they changed the money ladder for the shuffle format. (Did they? I haven't watched the show in ages; Meredith bores me.) Also clanked with What's My Line? for I've Got a Secret, but to be fair I've seen neither. The old B&W panel games also tend to bore me.

Got FJ! in the sloppiest way possible. Thought the first Super Bowl was 1964, added 3, said LBJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DWS wrote:Just my opinion, but I think "brainstorm" should have been negged. I have never heard that word used to describe part of an EEG chart and it is not equivalent to "brainwave."
*nod* I was surprised that accepted that.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

DWS wrote:For FJ, I correctly determined the year was 1969, but I went with Nixon.

Then again, I've never heard the word 'brainwave' used to describe a sudden idea...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Got FJ! in the sloppiest way possible. Thought the first Super Bowl was 1964, added 3, said LBJ.
But you just said that you never get it right...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:

Then again, I've never heard the word 'brainwave' used to describe a sudden idea...
Mostly a Britishism.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Also, where is the outrage over "tub" of Malmsey? It's a butt! I say this invalidates the episode and everyone comes back tomorrow.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Got FJ! in the sloppiest way possible. Thought the first Super Bowl was 1964, added 3, said LBJ.
But you just said that you never get it right...
Fine. I get it right so rarely that I might as well guess nothing or "What is see next podium?" every time. 1 right answer every 65 episodes is a pretty crappy batting average.
jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Post by jaxjags »

I said Nixon, had my bearings wrong when the Super Bowl actually happened (thought it was '72 for whatever reason), so that's a major choke for me, since I'm a presidents AND sports buff :(