Monday, May 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, May 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

Another West Point. In retrospect, it amuses me to think that Benedict Arnold could give to the British a place that hadn't yet existed. :lol:
At least my first thought of Fort Dix I couldn't concretely rule out at the time. (No, I didn't know how old Fort Dix or its namesake was, though also amusingly, research shows that particular Dix hadn't even been born yet.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:51 pm Yeah, I'll take under age 54 as well. I'll even take under age 34. How could 1964 as Josh's birth year even be up for discussion? Exactly how small is the viewing device?
Wow, really? I would give you at least 5 to 1 odds that Josh is not under 40.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:53 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:37 pm Well, they ALMOST got all the Bible clues correct. The writers, I mean. David is not said to be the author of the book of Psalms. Rabbinic tradition says he assembled the book, including his own psalms as well as psalms from previous generations. I'm not aware of any tradition or scholarly argument, ancient or modern, that says David wrote the whole thing himself.
I don't remember the exact wording of the question, but I don't think it claimed he actually did write it but rather that it was traditionally ascribed to him.
But it's NOT traditionally ascribed to him. That's my point. As far as I know, ancient sources all agree that David wrote SOME of the psalms in the book. (Specifically, at the very least, the ones with his name on them.) And they all agree that he did NOT write many others. (Specifically, at the very least, the ones with someone else's name on them.) Modern scholarship varies depending on its hostility to the text. But it varies in the direction of saying David didn't even write the psalms that are ascribed to him, not in the direction of saying he actually wrote the ones ascribed to someone else.

Here's the clue anyway: [picture of medieval illuminated manuscript] THIS BOOK OPENS WITH AN IMAGE OF KING DAVID SAID TO BE ITS AUTHOR.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:55 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:53 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:37 pm Well, they ALMOST got all the Bible clues correct. The writers, I mean. David is not said to be the author of the book of Psalms. Rabbinic tradition says he assembled the book, including his own psalms as well as psalms from previous generations. I'm not aware of any tradition or scholarly argument, ancient or modern, that says David wrote the whole thing himself.
I don't remember the exact wording of the question, but I don't think it claimed he actually did write it but rather that it was traditionally ascribed to him.
But it's NOT traditionally ascribed to him. That's my point. As far as I know, ancient sources all agree that David wrote SOME of the psalms in the book. (Specifically, at the very least, the ones with his name on them.) And they all agree that he did NOT write many others. (Specifically, at the very least, the ones with someone else's name on them.) Modern scholarship varies depending on its hostility to the text. But it varies in the direction of saying David didn't even write the psalms that are ascribed to him, not in the direction of saying he actually wrote the ones ascribed to someone else.

Here's the clue anyway: [picture of medieval illuminated manuscript] THIS BOOK OPENS WITH AN IMAGE OF KING DAVID SAID TO BE ITS AUTHOR.
Xena taught me David wrote Psalms and if Xena is wrong, I don't want to be right!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

jpr281 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:28 pm Does anyone else watch J! with closed captioning on? The 'Ecclesiastes' and 'Psalms' responses' captions were swapped on WABC.

Did not get FJ! Ended up writing down Langley.
We had the same problem with KABC Los Angeles out here. Super strange because there was at least a minute between the clues, and none of the other words were wrong.

I'm a bit ignorant of how the whole captioning process works, but I'm pretty sure it's not totally automatic for Jeopardy (because there are so many names in the 30 minutes). I wonder if whoever was captioning was copy/pasting for some reason (maybe spelling?) and just put them into the wrong spots in the document. I watch all television captioned, and haven't ever seen anything like that happen before.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

mikebdoss wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:34 pm I'm a bit ignorant of how the whole captioning process works, but I'm pretty sure it's not totally automatic for Jeopardy (because there are so many names in the 30 minutes). I wonder if whoever was captioning was copy/pasting for some reason (maybe spelling?) and just put them into the wrong spots in the document. I watch all television captioned, and haven't ever seen anything like that happen before.
I don't think any TV captioning is totally automatic. (Some online captioning is.)

I'm a former captioner, and my best guess is a weird copy-paste error as well.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:53 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:51 pm Yeah, I'll take under age 54 as well. I'll even take under age 34. How could 1964 as Josh's birth year even be up for discussion? Exactly how small is the viewing device?
Really? I'd guess he's in his mid '30s.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:34 am
IronNeck wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:53 pm
Really? I'd guess he's in his mid '30s.
I assumed late 20s.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Harpers Ferry was pretty insta get for me although I ran through some other possibilities after asserting it and couldn't see anything that fit.

Did you notice the contestant said plumbum with an unsilent B? Plum+ bum

For freedom I said emancipation. Surely I'm not the only one who did.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Josh seemed to start slower but still made DJ! a cakewalk.

Didn't recognize a thing in the Jeff Bridges category.

All but beech beach in Homophonic Pairs, all but styrofoam in Brand Names.

Bit on the Proverbs negbait to cost me the run in Bible.

Clue has a conservatory?!

Don't recognize the word "Lobbyist" or a "Boyish grin" either. Those both seemed far more obscure than "yield" and "praying mantis".

All but Antimony in Elements. It was there but I couldn't pull it because I got snagged on Seaborgium (thanks Stefan).

Lach Trash: Psalms, oysters, Dutch Boy

Harpers Ferry is completely unfamiliar to me. If I've seen the name before, it didn't stick. Had no idea what to even WAG.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:17 am Did you notice the contestant said plumbum with an unsilent B? Plum+ bum
Yeah, that's how it's pronounced.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:41 am
floridagator wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:17 am Did you notice the contestant said plumbum with an unsilent B? Plum+ bum
On a related note, it was funny Alex corrected Josh's "antimony" pronunciation despite Josh using the common pronunciation--at least in the U.S.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 33,600
46 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: heard herd, Psalms, Jude (DD), crocodile, oysters, Dutch Boy

I was lost on FJ! Put Valley Forge just to have something.

Per Josh's Linkedin profile, he went to college from 2000-04. Assuming normal age parameters, that puts him at about 35-36.
Sprinkles are for winners.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37 right.

Jeff Bridges (1), American Revolution (4), Nobel Prizes (1), Homophonic Pairs (5), Bible (3), Clue (2)
Beaux Bridges (2), Elements (3), Trademarks (4), African-American (5), Writers (4), "Yi" Oughta...! (3)

Lach Trash: heard herd, beech beach, crocodile, oysters, Dutch Boy; Daily Double: Jude (only because of the "hey")

I got it fairly quickly by recalling its strategic point where Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland meet, plus John Brown's raid.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I might have gotten this if I'd cottoned to the word "today" in the clause "where today 3 states meet" as a huge clue to West Virginia being involved. As it was, I didn't even register that it was in the clue at all.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:46 am
On a related note, it was funny Alex corrected Josh's "antimony" pronunciation despite Josh using the common pronunciation--at least in the U.S.
.... and for some reason, I'm reminded that I recently heard a joke or story where "antimony" and "alimony" were either compared or contrasted. Very vague memory; wish I could remember the source.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I'm pretty sure I mouthed "Susan B. Antimony" at the computer screen... thanks to JBoard... :mrgreen:
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I've always used the standard Tom Lehrer pronunciation.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

squarekara wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:03 pm
I've always used the standard Tom Lehrer pronunciation.
After Alex repronounced it, I actually said out loud, "If it's good enough for Tom Lehrer, it's good enough for me."