Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

IronNeck wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:04 pm
Woof wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 pm I had what may be my all-time best Coryat in a non-tournament game with $48,600,
Wow, congrats. That is a phenomenal result.
Oops! I got my math wrong. Sorry about that. It was actually $44,600. I don't routinely track my Coryat score, but after only clamming on 3 clues in the J! round, I decided to keep track last night. Normally, I will have a good run on one board or the other, but in my memory never have I had good runs on both. I ended up dropping $2200 in the J! round and $7200 in the DJ! round.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:16 pm
jkbrat wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:02 pm I knew that 1837 + duel -> Pushkin; they gave the 1837 part, and calling someone a "cuckold" sure seems like it would have been sufficient grounds for a duel, so Pushkin it is.
The above is about twelve times more than I ever even suspected about Pushkin, so if you knew enough to piece this FJ together, good for you, man.

I've seen a few comments here to the effect of "who else could it be besides Pushkin?" When I saw this reveal I predicted that this would be one of the---if not THE---lowest get rate of the season. Perhaps more than a few people on this board just know way more about this than I suspected (and Josh, let me not forget). My hat is off to all of you.
I'm guessing for the majority of us this clue boiled down to "name a 19th century Russian author." I doubt the cuckold hint helped most of us. I was pretty confident Tolstoy was around later than 1837, and considered Gogol, but ended up staying with Tolstoy simply because he's probably the most famous Russian author.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So stoked that Josh is kicking so much tail.

Ran the Groups category but this board felt very tough otherwise. All the bouncing around left me with very little feel for the categories.

No guess on FJ!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

FJ pure YEKIOYD IMO, otherwise it's "pick a random 19th c Russian author". Went with Tolstoy, and Pushkin would've been my third guess behind Chekov.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:53 pm FJ pure YEKIOYD IMO, otherwise it's "pick a random 19th c Russian author". Went with Tolstoy, and Pushkin would've been my third guess behind Chekov.
This clue is the opposite of YEKIOYD IMHO[1]. I sure didn't know it, but I got it right by knowing approximate time periods. (Tolstoy and Chekhov both lived into the 20th century.) The closest I've seen to someone saying they knew it is a poster or two who knew Pushkin died in a duel. This was a total MYBGAHNOL[2].
Spoiler
The H stands for "humble". I had no idea people did not know this.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/wha ... imho-means
Spoiler
Make Your Best Guess And Hope No One Laughs
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:44 pm
DBear wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:53 pm FJ pure YEKIOYD IMO, otherwise it's "pick a random 19th c Russian author". Went with Tolstoy, and Pushkin would've been my third guess behind Chekov.
This clue is the opposite of YEKIOYD IMHO[1]. I sure didn't know it, but I got it right by knowing approximate time periods. (Tolstoy and Chekhov both lived into the 20th century.) The closest I've seen to someone saying they knew it is a poster or two who knew Pushkin died in a duel. This was a total MYBGAHNOL[2].
Spoiler
The H stands for "humble". I had no idea people did not know this.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/wha ... imho-means
Spoiler
Make Your Best Guess And Hope No One Laughs
So more WECIB than YEKIOYD? Playing the odds more than knowing some certain trivia nugget, that is.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:44 pm
I'm with the penguin on this one. One could every easily get this FJ through process of elimination, which is the opposite of a "pure YEKIOYD".
Woof wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:46 pm
IronNeck wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:04 pm
Woof wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 pm I had what may be my all-time best Coryat in a non-tournament game with $48,600,
Wow, congrats. That is a phenomenal result.
Oops! I got my math wrong. Sorry about that. It was actually $44,600. I don't routinely track my Coryat score, but after only clamming on 3 clues in the J! round, I decided to keep track last night. Normally, I will have a good run on one board or the other, but in my memory never have I had good runs on both. I ended up dropping $2200 in the J! round and $7200 in the DJ! round.
That's still outstanding, dude. I don't think I've ever hit $44k+ in a non-tournament game.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Volante wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:49 pm
So more WECIB than YEKIOYD? Playing the odds more than knowing some certain trivia nugget, that is.
Right. Or, that's how it was for me. I knew Tolstoy and Dostoevsky had to be too late, and didn't even think of Chekhov for that reason. Gogol crossed my mind but I dismissed him, because I was pretty sure he had died a little later and I thought he'd be too obscure for FJ. That leaves... Pushkin. Lermontov, had I known enough about him, would have drawn consideration, but again, too obscure for FJ.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Saturnalia wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:29 pm
Volante wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:49 pm
Lermontov, had I known enough about him, would have drawn consideration, but again, too obscure for FJ.
Looking up the respective clues for their names on J Archive, you appear to be correct. However, it's amusing to read that Lermontov is "too obscure", as his fame/popularity in Russia surpasses that of Gogol and at least equals that of Chekhov.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I didn't understand the clue that Mark and Marcia came from the same 70 sitcom. What was that in reference to?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:46 pm I didn't understand the clue that Mark and Marcia came from the same 70 sitcom. What was that in reference to?
This name! This name! This name! This '70s sitcom name came from the same source Mark did
Spoiler
It's iconic and almost as famous as the football to the nose.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

floridagator wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:46 pm I didn't understand the clue that Mark and Marcia came from the same 70 sitcom. What was that in reference to?
"This name! This name! This name! This '70s sitcom name came from the same source Mark did"

I don't think it was saying that the names come from the same sitcom (The Brady Bunch), it was saying that the sitcom name (Marcia) and Mark come from the same root.

EDIT: Why am I not surprised that MB the Brady Bunch fan jumped in first :lol:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 am
They gave Hermine back her points, didn't credit her with a correct response.
What does this statement mean? Does the show keep score, and why?

Never mind - they gave back her losings, but didn't give her money for winnings. Duh.

"Nuit" is one of the first 20 words you learn in phrasebook French along with Bon Jour.

Just catching up on episodes after some travel. Normally I'd just do the FJ's from the board but I'm a big Josh fan and want to see his run.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:22 pm "Nuit" is one of the first 20 words you learn in phrasebook French along with Bon Jour.
Time to go back for a review class. It's 'bonjour' (one word).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:42 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:22 pm "Nuit" is one of the first 20 words you learn in phrasebook French along with Bon Jour.
Time to go back for a review class. It's 'bonjour' (one word).
Thanks for the data point. I learned long ago to speak English in Europe ;) . And those French vowel sounds - Morbeedo can have them! :lol:

My first visit to Paris in the 70's I pointed at a subway map, and said "Oo ser troov le Metro" and we both repeated "le metro ?" in playback mode at least 3 times making the identical (to me) pronunciation just like a Pink Panther movie.
The Parisians worked hard back then to maintain a rude reputation, but only in the tourist areas. The French people were otherwise gracious and kind and appreciative of Yankees. I've observed that over the years that even the tourism workers have given up on the rudeness meme, at least in the low roller places I frequent.

Good Bye for now
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This was the rerun for 6/23/20 and one of the clues comes off a little different now.

I READ YOU LOUD & CLEAR!
(Alex: You have to identify the novelist who wrote the words that I will be reading to you loud and clear.)

$200: "Tarzan...placed his foot upon the neck of his vanquished enemy, and...loud through the forest rang the fierce, wild cry"
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

33 R/6 W
Coryat: $27,400 (My best since I started keeping track)
DDs: 3/3
FJ!: :(

Winnipeg and Black Sea seemed like negbait for Ontario and Caspian Sea.

Ran both Science and "End" Game; but "fireball" worth $2,000? Seriously?

Was clueless on FJ! and WAGed Tchaikovsky, misspelled as "Tchikovsky" :oops:

Lach Trash: (Salvador Dali)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:22 am Winnipeg and Black Sea seemed like negbait for Ontario and Caspian Sea.
Oof, not really. Odessa is famously a Black Sea port; the Caspian Sea touches only Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, and Iran; and the J! writers never use "sea" unqualified to refer to the Caspian (if they use "sea," they put it in quotation marks or precede it with "so-called" or otherwise specify it's not truly a sea). Ontario is worse: it's a province, not a city, and therefore clearly not in the province of Manitoba.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:11 pm
Philliesfan02 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:22 am Winnipeg and Black Sea seemed like negbait for Ontario and Caspian Sea.
Oof, not really. Odessa is famously a Black Sea port; the Caspian Sea touches only Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, and Iran; and the J! writers never use "sea" unqualified to refer to the Caspian (if they use "sea," they put it in quotation marks or precede it with "so-called" or otherwise specify it's not truly a sea). Ontario is worse: it's a province, not a city, and therefore clearly not in the province of Manitoba.
I still recognize that the Caspian also touches Ukraine.
OCSam
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Now that I reread the "Winnipeg" question, I feel :oops:
Still think that Black Sea was negbait for Caspian Sea, though, since I don't know anything about Odessa other than that it exists. And yes, I know that the Caspian "Sea" is actually a lake.