Friday, May 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, May 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by cheezguyty »

raccoonleaf wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:47 pm I had months to ruminate over this, so I’ve looked. I’m not certain enough to say it’s never happened, but it’s at least exceedingly rare for a challenger with the leading Coryat score greater than $17,000 to lose without missing Final Jeopardy or some other miscue (e.g. a Daily Double miss, or a bad Final Jeopardy wager).
I could find only two other times when that has happened in a regular-play game: June 10, 2008 and December 29, 2006.

ETA: I found another two instances when adjusting the Coryat scores from the pre-doubling era: June 5, 2000 and June 30, 1993.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

raccoonleaf wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:47 pm This is Ross. Thanks to everyone here for being an important resource to me in the lead up to my appearance. Here are just some random thoughts:

So far, people have been very nice about me on the internet other than a couple stray comments about my “creeper mustache” (which apparently just means a regular mustache on someone younger than 60 years old).
Your mustache is awesome. Those people are crazy. (And this is coming from a guy with a fine beard who has never quite managed to grow a good mustache, and not for lack of trying)

I couched it in a pop culture reference, but you came across as very likable and amusing on the show.
raccoonleaf wrote: Thanks for that. I’m sure there have been better contestants throughout the years who were never-winners, but their losses almost always came down to missing Final Jeopardy.

I had months to ruminate over this, so I’ve looked. I’m not certain enough to say it’s never happened, but it’s at least exceedingly rare for a challenger with the leading Coryat score greater than $17,000 to lose without missing Final Jeopardy or some other miscue (e.g. a Daily Double miss, or a bad Final Jeopardy wager). Without limiting it to challengers, the best I’ve come up with is this game. Scott converted a $9,000 Daily Double with 2 clues left in Double Jeopardy to grab an insurmountable lead against champion Rachel. She had a $20,200 Coryat.

That’s not to say Virginia didn’t earn her win. If you look at Virginia’s performance in a vacuum, a Coryat of $14,000 with gets on all three Daily Doubles plus Final Jeopardy deserves to win. Fate had to decide between the two of us.
Indeed, your loss was statistically unusual. However, a contestant going 3/3 on DD's is almost always going to be enough for the lead heading into FJ. While one can hunt for DDs, it still comes down to luck, which was certainly on Virginia's side in that game.

Don't give up on Millionaire just yet! As this board has shown, many former Jeopardy players appear on there and end up making a tidy sum of money.

Regardless, best of luck in all future trivia contestant adventures; I will be rooting for you.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I want to point out that 123 Jell-O was not available continuously from 1969 to 1996; it disappeared in the 1970s and then came back in the early 90s as Jell-O 1-2-3. It was a fascinating type of gelatin that separated into three layers.

The main reason I remembered Robert Downey jr. had been nominated for Chaplin was that at the time of the nomination, SNL did a lame joke confusing him with Morton Downey jr., an unrelated shock-jock talk show host who has long since been forgotten.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:55 pm
eureka wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:40 pm I don't know how to do links, but FJ sounded familiar. The June 6 2017 FJ got me the first part of the clue. I saw TT, but it wasn't that memorable. I just hoped it
fulfilled the second part of the clue.
Just copy and paste the link. It magically becomes clickable when you post:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5664

If you want to be fancy you can edit the link so it goes directly to the FJ clue:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ardy_round

But I think I'm the only one geeky enough to do that.

Thanks for the reminder. I felt like we'd had the Downey-Chaplin connection referenced in the not too distant past.
I would not have gotten this FJ without that earlier one....
factotumjack
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by factotumjack »

Hi again all, especially those that post their Coryat scores here often.

I've posted my analysis of Coryats over time here: http://www.stats-et-al.com/2018/05/anal ... art-2.html

I posted the analyses of myself, 5 people from this board, and 1 person who e-mailed me their scores. Everyone but me is anonymized and none of the scores I scraped from the board show up in the example dataset I posted with it.

If anyone has any comments, requires for me to take down their data, or analyses you would like to see if the future, please tell me, thanks! :)
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Congratulations to all the players. Wonderful game.

I had no idea about the Jell-O.

However, this one did bother me. The clue said that Austria-Hungary declared war on this republic. Serbia was not a Republic in 1914. It was a kingdom. So I was sitting there thinking, wondering, what other country could this be?

Also, Robert Downey Jr is recognizable in the film. Tom Cruise is the one who is completely made up.
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

raccoonleaf wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:58 pm It took way too much time to figure out how to do this on a phone...

85C55334-22C7-4AA8-BBA3-60C1B6F6B680.jpeg
Awesome! :lol:
https://i.imgur.com/5AKFQmp.jpg