Monday, May 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7771, 2018-05-28

CONTESTANTS
Dev Thakur, a psychiatrist from West Lebanon, New Hampshire
Andrea Schuelke, a tutor from Saint Paul, Minnesota
Virginia Cummings, a geriatrician from Randolph, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $35,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I was just catching some of the reactions from people in the audience when Johnny announced how much money Virginia had won on our last program. $35,000 for one show? Wow. Dev and Andrea, good to have you with us. Virginia, nice to see you again. Let's go to work. Here are the categories that we deal with in this first round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NURSERY RHYME POLICE REPORT (4/5)
SWINGERS OF SPORTS (3/4)
THE STATE SHE GOVERNED (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PALINDROMIC WORDS (2/5)
THE BODY HUMAN (5/5)
ON THE "T"ABLE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dev: 10 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Virginia: 5 R, 1 W
Andrea: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Virginia: $2,000
Andrea: $1,400
Dev: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Dev Thakur is from West Lebanon, New Hampshire. He is a psychiatrist. Dev, when I was growing up it was almost obligatory for at least one child in the family to take music lessons. You never started taking lessons later on when you were an adult. But you have done that, right?

Dev: That's right. I started just about four or five years ago. I picked up the viola. And I love to say it's never too late. I've already played with a quintet; I've played in a local orchestra. So yeah, it really never is too late.

Alex: All right. Terrific.

Alex: Andrea Schuelke from Saint Paul, Minnesota, is a tutor who maybe is not a particularly good driver, because I've heard about your record. Tell me.

Andrea: Yes. Well, the first year I received my license I was in six car accidents. I'm a very good standardized test taker. So I passed the written, I passed the behind-the-wheel, and then I kept hitting things. And thankfully my aunt realized I squint and sent me for a vision test. Turns out I can't see past twenty feet without contacts, so.

Alex: What happened to your insurance rates that first year?

Andrea: Skyrocketed.

Alex: Yeah, okay.

Alex: Virginia Cummings is our champion. As you heard on Friday last, ladies and gentlemen, she works with seniors. She also can read tarot cards. Is it difficult to learn how to read them?

Virginia: No, not at all. And actually, they have a lot of tarot decks, and they have ones that give you really detailed instructions to learn how. And they're--they're beautiful in themselves. I collect them. I have a lot of decks, just because they're all different.

Alex: Are any of the characters quiz show hosts?

Virginia: Mm...

Alex: No?

Virginia: Maybe not, no.

Alex: I didn't think so.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dev found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Virginia had $2,000, Andrea had $2,000, and Dev was at $3,200. Dev wagered $500.

THE STATE SHE GOVERNED $800: Lurleen Wallace
(Dev: What is Tennessee?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NURSERY RHYME POLICE REPORT $1000: Last known sighting of this person of interest: talking with bakery salesman while on way to festival
(Alex: He was talking to the pieman.)

ON THE "T"ABLE $800: Pewter is a traditional material for this vessel, with a lid
(Virginia: What is a teapot?)

PALINDROMIC WORDS $200: The world of project-to-project employment is known as this economy
(Andrea: What is freelance?)

PALINDROMIC WORDS $600: Instead of "Hey, pal" or "mister", you can say "Hey", this word made popular by the character Wolverine

PALINDROMIC WORDS $1000: In a song by the Wiggles, this double talk palindrome comes before "chugga chugga"

THE STATE SHE GOVERNED $600: Jennifer Granholm

THE STATE SHE GOVERNED $1000: Jan Brewer
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SWINGERS OF SPORTS $800: He holds the MLB record for home runs by a shortstop, 345; there was a reason his manager let him play every day
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dev: $4,700
Virginia: $2,000
Andrea: $2,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
3-NAMED PEOPLE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We're gonna need all three names.)
MOVIES BY OSCAR-WINNING SONG (4/5)
WORLD GEOGRAPHY (5/5)
MEMORIAL DAY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BEACH SEASON (3/5)
IT'S GETTING "HOT" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Virginia: 15 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Dev: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Andrea: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dev snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Virginia had $2,400, Andrea had $2,000, and Dev was at $5,500. Dev wagered $1,500.

3-NAMED PEOPLE $1200: He's the architect seen here with his plans for a mile-high skyscraper that was never built

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Virginia who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Virginia had $17,200, Andrea had $3,600, and Dev was at $13,000. Virginia wagered $3,000.

MEMORIAL DAY $2000: To honor the 100th anniversary of a battle here, LBJ gave a Memorial Day speech in 1963

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIES BY OSCAR-WINNING SONG $2000: "I'm Easy" (1975), written by Keith Carradine

MEMORIAL DAY $1200: This traditional song of Memorial Day was originally a call to extinguish lights

BEACH SEASON $1600: Live sand dollars have velvety coats but lose them after death; the invertebrate shell, AKA this, washes ashore

BEACH SEASON $2000: Waves can deposit sediment along the shore as terraced areas alliteratively called "beach" these

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Virginia: $21,400
Dev: $13,400
Andrea: $4,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Virginia: Wager $5,401 to cover Dev, but no more than $12,599 so as not to fall behind Andrea's doubled score.
Dev: You have the hope of surpassing Virginia if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,001 to force Virginia to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $4,599 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Andrea.
Andrea: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This author whom Helen Keller could identify by his cigar scent was the first to call Anne Sullivan a "miracle worker"

FINAL SCORES
Andrea: $4,400 + $4,000 = $8,400 (Who is Wordsworth Twain) (2nd place: $2,000)
Dev: $13,400 - $13,300 = $100 (Who is Thoreau?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Virginia: $21,400 - $5,401 = $15,999 (Who is Charles Dickens) (2-day champion: $51,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Virginia: $20,400, 20 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Dev: $13,600, 19 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Andrea: $4,400, 7 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $38,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Virginia: 20/59 = .339
Dev: 19/60 = .317
Andrea: 8/58 = .138
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE BODY HUMAN $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a diagram of the human body.) It takes three main muscles to raise the arm above the head: first, the superspinatus; next, the deltoid to about 90 degrees & finally, this large, flat, triangular muscle of the upper back

THE BODY HUMAN $1000: Seen here is an animation of this wave-like muscular motion that pushes food through the esophagus

MEMORIAL DAY $800: The World War I poem "In Flanders Field" inspired the use of this flower as a symbol for remembering fallen soldiers

CORRECT RESPONSES
Alabama
Simple Simon
a tankard
the gig economy
bub
toot toot
Michigan
Arizona
Cal Ripken Jr.
Frank Lloyd Wright
Gettysburg
Nashville
"Taps"
the exoskeleton
beach berms
Mark Twain
the trapezius
peristalsis
the poppy
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This author whom Helen Keller could identify by his cigar scent was the first to call Anne Sullivan a “Miracle Worker”

Virginia Cummings: 21400-5401=15999 (2x = $51,200)
Andrea Schuelke: 4400+4000=8400
Dev Thakur: 13400-13300=100

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mark Twain (Virginia – Charles Dickens) (Andrea – Wordsworth Twain) (Dev – Thoreau)

Daily Doubles
Dev: 3200-500
Dev: 5500+1500
Virginia: 17200+3000

Coryats
Virginia: 20400
Andrea: 4400
Dev: 13600

Combined: 38,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Virginia: 2000
Andrea: 2000
Dev: 4700
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon May 28, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Virginia got 5 right in the J! round and took it up to 15R in the DJ! round including her DD hit. Dev was more consistent with 10R + 9R including his DD hit. Andrea was left fighting for scraps with 7R for the whole match until her sole solve in the FJ! round.

Warning to viewers in Baltimore: SWINGERS OF SPORTS is a TS clue. I can hear the yelling.

Thank you to the writers for making the FJ! category 19th Century Authors and not Authors. That slight difference kept me out of trouble and allowed me to guess the right guy. I still was not sure as I knew his birth & death years thanks while being not being as confident that lined up to Sullivan/Keller years.

Nice title defense by Virginia to allow her the miss in the FJ! round.

Ross: If you knew that FJ! clue your "What If" game continues as Dev proved he was not going to do much with the DDs.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm irritated by the amount of comic book trivia on J! these days. I guess it's legitimate because that's what seemingly all movie blockbusters are adapted from these days, but it's a weak spot for me.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

theFJguy wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:43 am This author whom Helen Keller could identify by his cigar scent was the first to call Anne Sullivan a “Miracle Worker”
Got it because I literally couldn't think of another author who was famous for smoking cigars -- of any time period -- which I guess was the pure tease-out intention.

So I guess I'm saying "thanks, Star Trek TNG, for burning that one in".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

First round was annoying as the only clue left was in sports.

Dev bets meekly on his DDs but then goes big in FJ. Yes, he was being crushed, but he could have capped his bet at $4,599 and he still wins if he gets it right. At least Andrea got an extra thousand for her trouble.

The reddit guy's feed froze right after Alex finished reading the FJ answer. Luckily, it was an instaget for me so no moral dilemma in counting it right.

Alex said he loved the FJ clue. I think he has said in the past Twain is his favorite author. So a slight hint there.

Keller was born in 1880, so she fits into Twain's lifespan.

LT on Lurleen Wallace.
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon May 28, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

acthomas wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:15 pm So I guess I'm saying "thanks, Star Trek TNG, for burning that one in".
Exactly that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I honestly thought that "Old Mother Hubbard" had only one verse until I saw a web reviewer that I like review a VHS tape of old nursery rhymes. Were it not for this reviewer, I would've ended up with an "all but the first clue" moment, but instead, I ran the category.

Can't say I've heard of a tureen or "gig" economy, though. Putting the latter on my poll.

Lach Trash: Simple Simon, bub, Michigan, "Taps"

I thought that The Miracle Worker was initially a book, so I spent the entire 30 seconds figuring that I had no idea who wrote that. "Cigar" seemed entirely irrelevant so I tuned it out as background noise, and thus had no guess.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:51 am I still was not sure as I knew his birth & death years thanks while being not being as confident that lined up to Sullivan/Keller years.
Easy way to remember: he was born with Halley's Comet (1835) and he died with Halley's Comet (1910).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:49 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:51 am I still was not sure as I knew his birth & death years thanks while being not being as confident that lined up to Sullivan/Keller years.
Easy way to remember: he was born with Halley's Comet (1835) and he died with Halley's Comet (1910).
Right, easy for Twain to know his living range. My problem was thinking Keller more 20th century. Turns out she died in 1968. She lived long enough though as Bamaman pointed out to intersect with Twain. I would have been off on a guesstimation for her graduation from Radcliffe as that is 1904.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

acthomas wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:15 pm
Got it because I literally couldn't think of another author who was famous for smoking cigars -- of any time period -- which I guess was the pure tease-out intention.
I most associate it with CS Lewis, who obviously wasn't the answer.

Edit: He was more associated with pipe smoking anyway.
Last edited by Ironhorse on Mon May 28, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I can't be the only one who precalled Lurleen Wallace thanks to the '03 ToC.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I am kicking myself for missing the Ripken clue. I actually said Ernie Banks, thinking of the "let's play 2" quote.

I knew the Lurleen Wallace DD because of the FJ from game 1 of the finals of the 2003 ToC.

Aside from the World Geography category and the Gettysburg DD that was overvalued at the bottom of the board I found the DJ round to be really hard, and I was impressed by how Virginia handled it.

I got FJ from guessing an American author from the time period, and cigars seemed to make as much since for Twain as anyone else.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

missed the J! round. Picked up Taps
Judges: carapace for exoskeleton?
This was a good FJ!, one that required some thought but could be sussed out in reasonable time.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 37,600
49 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Simon; gig; Michigan; Alabama (DD); Arizona; Cal Ripken, Jr.; exoskeleton

Waggiest of WAGs for me. I tried to come up with a late-19th Century author connected with Alabama, then switched to the entire South. In the end, I had nothing other than Twain, so I went with him and prepared to mark down another wrong FJ!

I liked Lurleen Wallace as a DD. Gettable either through direct knowledge, or by making the connection to George Wallace.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:31 pm This was a good FJ!, one that required some thought but could be sussed out in reasonable time.
Agreed. I needed the time and, like Mark Barrett, I needed the category specifying the time frame. I started out with Hemingway because he seemed like a cigar smoker. Then I moved to Faulkner because he lived in the state next door to Keller. Then the category reeled me in and I started the productive portion of my thinking. Twain didn't come to mind immediately. But once he did, I was pretty sure I had it right. As a bonus, Twain can be written hurriedly and in the last few seconds. A similar clue for de Maupassant or Solzhenitsyn might have sunk me.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Why is it that the one word I ignore is always the TOM?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

38 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Toot Toot, (Alabama), Exoskeleton
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:46 pm I'm irritated by the amount of comic book trivia on J! these days. I guess it's legitimate because that's what seemingly all movie blockbusters are adapted from these days, but it's a weak spot for me.
You don't have to have seen Wolverine to know that "bub" is a palindromic equivalent to "pal."
I've never seen the $1600 response in that category rendered as a palindrome. Only yea big...

I probably have read that Twain, Sullivan and Keller were friends, yet the "miracle worker" citation came as a surprise to me. But I've seen Twain portrayed enough times, by Hal Holbrook and others, to immediately associate cigars with him.