Thursday, May 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7774, 2018-05-31

CONTESTANTS
Skyler Kelemen, a healthcare data analyst from Watertown, Massachusetts
Maryanne Theyerl, a veterinarian from Loves Park, Illinois
Jeffrey Schwarz, a private investor from New York, New York (whose 2-day cash winnings total $52,500)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, everyone. Welcome to our show. We're getting very close to the end of the school year, and over the past two days, as you've seen, Jeffrey has demonstrated that when he was young and in school, he paid attention to what was going on. He learned a lot. And now, we welcome Maryanne and Skyler. Good luck, players. Here we go. Categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BOOKS OF THE 1990s (2/3)
TV & MOVIE COMMON BONDS (4/5)
ADJECTIVES (4/5)
MISCELLANEOUS (5/5)
YOU SHALL NOT PASS! (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FLY, YOU FOOLS! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Skyler: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Jeffrey: 7 R, 1 W
Maryanne: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jeffrey: $3,400
Skyler: $3,200
Maryanne: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Skyler Kelemen is from Massachusetts. She is a gymnast. You're part of an adult gymnastics team. And I didn't even know they had those. Tell me.

Skyler: We're one of the only all-adult gymnastics teams in the country, where our mascot is the dinosaur because we're old. And we compete against college students and other adults.

Alex: That's good.

Alex: Maryanne... Theyerl?

Maryanne: Theyerl.

Alex: Theyerl.

Maryanne: Theyerl.

Alex: From Loves Park, Illinois. Sounds like a lovely place. Now you and your husband have decided to make a big change in your life.

Maryanne: A very big change.

Alex: Yeah.

Maryanne: We are in the process of selling or giving away everything we own, and we're moving onto our 36-foot sailboat this--this June, hopefully.

Alex: Are you gonna travel with this boat?

Maryanne: Yes, we plan to head out through the Great Lakes and down the Atlantic coast and Florida, and then wherever the winds take us.

Alex: All right. Good for you.

Maryanne: Thank you.

Alex: Adventure in the future. Right.

Alex: Jeffrey Schwarz, private investor. Every time we introduce you, and we've introduced you now three times, and Johnny says, "Jeffrey Schwarz, private investor." I keep looking at you and I say, "No, he looks like a private investigator."

Jeffrey: No, that's way too scary for me. Private investor is about all I can handle.

Alex: And you've been in this business for how long now?

Jeffrey: Since I got out of MBA school in 1981.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Skyler found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Jeffrey had $2,800, Maryanne had $1,200, and Skyler was at $5,200. Skyler wagered $2,000.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS! $800: Oops, you crammed for the multistate bar exam but this state with laws deriving from the Napoleonic code doesn't use it
(Alex: [Before Skyler wagers] You're in the lead, Skyler. But before I ask you to make your wager, just to show you how fast our research team is, for you and for Maryanne, opalescent and luminescent did not satisfy the first part of that clue a few moments ago, "from the Latin word for 'rainbow'".)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV & MOVIE COMMON BONDS $400: Aurora,
Ariel,
Merida

ADJECTIVES $1000: From the Latin word for "rainbow", the colorful lining of an abalone shell is described by this adjective
(Maryanne: What is opalescent?)
(Skyler: What is luminescent?)
(Alex: What is [*]? But I have news for you. We're gonna check both of your responses.)

BOOKS OF THE 1990s $600: The beautifully dangerous Lucky Santangelo takes on Hollywood in this author's novel "Lady Boss"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Skyler: $7,400
Jeffrey: $3,800
Maryanne: $1,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ARCHITECTURE WORDS (1/2, including 1 missed Daily Double)
HEY, SLIM (4/5)
LAND (4/5)
COMIC BOOKS WITHOUT CAPES (3/5)
ON "MARS" (5/5)
MONARCHS FLUTTER BY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Skyler: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jeffrey: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Maryanne: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jeffrey snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Jeffrey had $5,000, Maryanne had $2,000, and Skyler was at $7,000. Jeffrey wagered $3,000.

MONARCHS FLUTTER BY $800: He reigned in the United Kingdom from 1760 to 1820, with a few interruptions

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Skyler who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Jeffrey had $12,400, Maryanne had $3,600, and Skyler was at $17,800. Skyler wagered $3,000.

ARCHITECTURE WORDS $2000: The vertical grooves of a column are referred to by this musical term
(Skyler: What are frets?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COMIC BOOKS WITHOUT CAPES $1200: Just as in literature, you can get this type of collection, from Latin for "all", for comic books

LAND $1200: Those who value land as a possession include John Bergson in this Willa Cather novel named for western settlers
(Jeffrey: What are The Pioneers?)
(Maryanne: What is O Pioneer!?)

HEY, SLIM $1600: His real name is John Burstein, but he bares his insides for everyone as this character
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

COMIC BOOKS WITHOUT CAPES $1600: An '80s band who sang "So Alive" was named after the underground comic "Love &" these, which is still published

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Skyler: $14,800
Jeffrey: $12,400
Maryanne: $3,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CURRENCY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Skyler: Wager $10,001 to cover Jeffrey. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $2,801.
Jeffrey: Your score is within 4/5ths of Skyler's, so wager between $4,801 (venusian) and $5,199 (martian), beating Skyler's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Maryanne's part.
Maryanne: You just can't cover a rational wager by Jeffrey, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
20-euro notes available in 2015 fittingly feature this mythological mother to some of Zeus' kids

FINAL SCORES
Maryanne: $3,600 - $3,200 = $400 (Who is Gaia Hera?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jeffrey: $12,400 - $2,600 = $9,800 (Who is Demeter) (3-day champion: $62,300)
Skyler: $14,800 - $10,001 = $4,799 (Who is Hera?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Skyler: $16,600, 20 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Jeffrey: $10,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Maryanne: $3,600, 12 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $30,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Skyler: 20/60 = .333
Jeffrey: 15/59 = .254
Maryanne: 12/58 = .207
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
YOU SHALL NOT PASS! $400: Acidity or alkalinity is determined by this test; in politics, a failed one can cause great damage
(Maryanne: What is pH? ...What is [*]?)
(Alex: Thank you!)

YOU SHALL NOT PASS! $600: I predict trouble in the combat water survival test, a requirement to join these U.S. "R"my special ops forces
(Jeffrey: What are Navy SEALs?)

MONARCHS FLUTTER BY $400: He ruled France from 1774 to 1792
(Jeffrey: Who is Louis XV?)

ON "MARS" $1200: "Their impure blood should water our fields" is a lyric from this 1792 composition
(Skyler: What is "La Marseilles"?)

HEY, SLIM $800: Slim Pickens is seen here on the wildest ride of his career in this film
(Maryanne: What is A Clockwork Orange?)
(Jeffrey: What is Dr. Strangelove and How I Learned to Love the Bomb?)

LAND $1600: Four-letter word for a long, narrow piece of land jutting into the ocean, like Britain's Spurn Point

ARCHITECTURE WORDS $400: From the French for "hut", these structures were herders' shelters in the Alps, but now are found all over
(Maryanne: What are yurts?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Louisiana
Disney princesses
iridescent
Jackie Collins
George III
fluting
omnibus
O Pioneers!
Slim Goodbody
Love and Rockets
Europa
a litmus test
Army Rangers
Louis XVI
"La Marseillaise"
Dr. Strangelove
a spit
chalets
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CURRENCY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
20-Euro notes available in 2015 fittingly feature this mythological mother to some of Zeus’ kids

Jeffrey Schwarz: 12400-2600=9800 (3x = $62,300)
Maryanne Theyerl: 3600-3200=400
Skyler Kelemen: 14800-10001=4799

Correct response:
Spoiler
Europa (Jeffrey – Demeter) (Maryanne – Gaia Herea) (Skyler – Hera)

Daily Doubles
Skyler: 5200+2000
Jeffrey: 5000+3000
Skyler: 17800-3000

Coryats
Jeffrey: 10200
Maryanne: 3600
Skyler: 16600

Combined: 30,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jeffrey: 3800
Maryanne: 1600
Skyler: 7400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The players gave the Alex and the judges no choices on the French song, shell lining and Cather work miscues.

Jeffrey set up a rebound with another error when he botched the unnecessary full title of the movie with Slim Pickens. Still that was better than guessing the wrong Kubrick movie all together.

I thought the picture of the writing sister looked very similar to the acting sister, so no problem identifying her even without knowing the works.

The FJ! clue probably would have helped me more if it had not included the image. I spent too much time staring at the note looking for something to aid me and not enough time thinking about Zeus and his disguises. Turns out the image did have a huge hint with four of the six needed letters staring at me, yet I did not put it together.

Instead I wrote Hera after finding no reason to write Leda. Grrr! Or snort as the case may be.

Jeffrey did not like yesterday’s category and solved the clue in combination with the necessary big bet. Today I thought the private investor could have the edge with CURRENCY and he missed it and bet small. J! can be a funny game.

For the gender game Jeffrey won facing two women on both Wednesday & Thursday. Tomorrow will be men’s day.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

What person did Zeus sleep with that would be "appropriate" for a EURO? EURO-PA!
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 30,200
44 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Disney princesses, iridescent, Jackie Collins, O Pioneers!, Slim Goodbody, Rockets

I was disappointed that today's FJ! was essentially the second mythology Final we've had in just over a week. Or weak, in my case, as I just don't know the subject well. I knew that Europa was a mythological being of some kind, but that was about it. I put down Hera just to have something.

Given that it was likely to be the last clue of the round, Skyler should have wagered between 801-2299 on DD3. That would have given her the chance to go into FJ! with a crush while guaranteeing that Jeffrey didn't get into 4/5 territory.

I don't like that Alex gave away the hidden theme of the Miscellaneous category (Siri-sari-Suri-surrey-sura(h)). The whole point of such things is to reward those contestants who pick up on the theme.

Object lesson from the Dr. Strangelove clue: J! is not the place to show off. Give the minimum information required for a correct response.

I don't know that I've ever seen a picture of Jackie Collins before, but the resemblance to her sister Joan was unmistakable.

I appreciated how the Mother Teresa clue earlier in the round eliminated the possible negbait from the John Paul II clue.
Sprinkles are for winners.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

Did anyone else try to think of old European currencies that sounded like Greek/Roman gods? I guessed "lira" on the hope that that was a mythological figure as well.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Unusually tough set of categories for me: architecture, comic books, and the dreaded TV category. My weakest Coryat ($19,800) in a good while. Oh well -- I learned a few new things.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

I tried to make "fittingly" apply to "twenty."
I tried to make it apply to "2015."
Making it apply to "Euro" didn't cross my mind.
(I was playing off the Clue of the Day, so I didn't have the image, not that it would have helped.)
I guessed Hera.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

While I am familiar with the story of Zeus in the form of a bull abducting Europa, the idea that she might have borne any children has never occurred to me, so I was pretty lost on this one. I too would have put down Hera just to have something.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:29 pm The players gave the Alex and the judges no choices on the French song, shell lining and Cather work miscues.

Jeffrey set up a rebound with another error when he botched the unnecessary full title of the movie with Slim Pickens.
My kids faulted me for "gasping too much" during this game.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BESIDES THEIR INITIALS, IT'S WHAT JEFFREY SCHWARZ AND JERRY SLOWIK HAVE IN COMMON
hscer

Post by hscer »

Jeff got a Teen-level Daily Double while Skyler got a...dangerous one. Once the super-tough Final was revealed, I figured it came down to Jeff's wagering knowledge, and he demonstrated some.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:22 pm While I am familiar with the story of Zeus in the form of a bull abducting Europa,
I spent the whole 30 seconds trying to come to with Europa. I kept saying to myself, Zeus as a bull ... Minos ... dammit, what is her name.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Couldn't understand what Alex was thinking on the possibility of overturning the iridescent negs.
Facepalmed on the Clockwork Orange guess.
Almost talked myself out of Europa, thinking it was too obvious.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

46 R
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Disney Princesses, Iridescent, Jackie Collins, Omnibus, O Pioniers
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Hurly burly"? Weird "all but the top box" moment for me.

TV/Movie Common Bonds threw me because I was thinking that they were both TV and movies in the first box. And then the second box, I thought they wanted just one work, not a type of character. NHO the three in $800, but got $600 and
$1,000.

Jack Ryan doesn't sound familiar to me, although that could just be the generic name.

Argh! I read Usagi Yojimbo and I totally blanked on "samurai".

Lach Trash: iridescent, omnibus, Slim Goodbody

Not even a guess on FJ! I couldn't think of which part would be "fitting" for a 20-euro note, and I can't say I recognize Europa anyway.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Wow. As soon as FJ was finished, I turned to my girlfriend and said "Man, Jeff has to be disappointed as hell right now. He is in a close second, but with THIS easy of a FJ, a classic 3/3 if I've ever seen one, there is NO WAY he can win."

And then, as the answers were read, my jaw just kept dropping lower and lower and lower...

Will be interesting to see if it's just my perception of that FJ, or whether it really will poll high at the end of the week. And yeah, lots of weird little errors by all the contestants. Some simple LT misses, that unnecessary and incorrect add-on for Dr. Strangelove, the misses of O Pioneers!, and the miss on the last DD when spotted "musical instruments".

Skyler impressed me multiple moments during the episode, but she whiffed at some crucial moments, and not just in terms of her responses. Think of how drastically the game changes if she goes all-in on her first round DD.

In that case, she already has a lock when she finds that last DD, and if she correctly recognizes that situation, Jeffrey no longer has the path to victory that he utilized.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

IronNeck wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:37 am

Skyler impressed me multiple moments during the episode, but she whiffed at some crucial moments, and not just in terms of her responses. Think of how drastically the game changes if she goes all-in on her first round DD.

In that case, she already has a lock when she finds that last DD, and if she correctly recognizes that situation, Jeffrey no longer has the path to victory that he utilized.
I realize it’s early but I don’t think adding another $3,200 to her score gives her a lock going into the final Daily Double. (Her needed score is more than $25,000 and I think she’d have been at $21,000.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan