LL BWA Entries

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: LL BWA Entries

Post by seaborgium »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:34 pm My only attempt at a BWA was Season 74 Match Day 9 with the question
  • What thing severed Dr. Robert "Rocket" Romano's arm in a season 9 episode of the medical drama ER? Another one crushed him to death a season later, remarkably.
My response of "A bear that looked like Sarah Palin" was not chosen but "Crushing student debt fidget spinner" was. Since then I have given nothing but serious answers.
I think you're quoting two BWAs as one there.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:02 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:34 pm My only attempt at a BWA was Season 74 Match Day 9 with the question
  • What thing severed Dr. Robert "Rocket" Romano's arm in a season 9 episode of the medical drama ER? Another one crushed him to death a season later, remarkably.
My response of "A bear that looked like Sarah Palin" was not chosen but "Crushing student debt fidget spinner" was. Since then I have given nothing but serious answers.
Oops. You're right. I read it as one answer when I looked at this page: https://learnedleague.com/question.php?74&9&5

It's clear they're different responses on the Season 74 awards page. Thanks.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:53 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:02 pm
Oops. You're right. I read it as one answer when I looked at this page: https://learnedleague.com/question.php?74&9&5

It's clear they're different responses on the Season 74 awards page. Thanks.
If you guessed "fidget spinner" as a joke, you had to know what the actual correct answer was, right?
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

I don't think Thorsten is going through all the answers to find the good ones. He has an algorithm to check answers as correct/incorrect or flags them if they have a partial response and need to be checked. In order to find best wrong answers he is probably checking through specific accounts of people he is familiar with.
This is a very bizarre conclusion.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thorsten has said he does not see names when grading to avoid any possibility of bias.

I agree the crushing student debt fidget spinner strongly hints the player knew it was a helicopter. But he may have had his reasons for sacrificing a correct answer.

That being said, I thought it was funnier than the Sarah Palin bear answer. (No, I am not a fan of Palin).

But it wasn’t that funny and the BWAs rarely get more than a mild chuckle from me. If they were dropped altogether I certainly wouldn’t miss them.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:34 pm My response of "A bear that looked like Sarah Palin" was not chosen but "Crushing student debt fidget spinner" was. Since then I have given nothing but serious answers.
I wrote "crushing student debt", but wasn't aware that it was BWA material. Considering how Romano died, "fidget spinner" was a hilarious BWA.

I believe that "Rocket" Romano recently came up in Jeopardy as well.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Time to revive this thread. For the Dying Gaul, I put "Checking His Bracket After an Upset". Big nope from Thorsten.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:23 am Time to revive this thread. For the Dying Gaul, I put "Checking His Bracket After an Upset". Big nope from Thorsten.
I put "dabbing". I like yours.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MD14Q4: Pictured here is a canvas from the Ocean Park series by what Californian abstract expressionist painter?
Thomas Kinkandinsky
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

LL76 MD16 Q3 wrote: Sir Humphrey Davy / Abominated gravy. / He lived in the odium / Of having discovered Sodium.
This verse is an example of a form known as what, after its inventor Edmund C. Bentley (who wrote the above)?

EDMUND C. BENTLEY. DID NOT TREAT ME GENTLY. WHEN QUIZZED ON HIS POEMS. I DIDN'T KNOW 'EMS
Not until I reviewed this for the VBWA voting did it trigger the memory of this weirdly-parallel exchange from my J! episode that was worth $4000 to my (eventually futile) late-game comeback.
J! S34 E13 TV Private Detectives $2000 wrote:
  • Clue: In 2016 Samuel Barnett opened a "Holistic Detective Agency" as this eccentric character.
  • Austin Rogers: Who is Dirk Bentley?
  • Pasha Paterson: Who is Dirk Gently?
There has been a lot of déjà clue between LL76 and J! S34 but this was just spooky because it was player-driven instead.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

For the North Korea question, "They shall be met with _______ like the world has never seen," I went for a BWA with "negative press covfefe."
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I still don't get Teshberg.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:54 am I still don't get Teshberg.
On this episode, the role of Buzz Killington will be played by… me.
LL76 MD15 Q1 (emphasis added) wrote: CLASS MUSIC - Led by Johann Stamitz, a group of mid-18th-century composers, who played an important role in the development of the modern orchestra and classical symphony form, are associated with a "school" based in what southwestern German city? Musically, the city may today be more closely associated with new-age and prog Christmas music.
"Teshberg" is a play on the German -berg suffix and John Tesh, who has enjoyed remarkable success in radio, television, and music that fits loosely into the "new-age" category, including his own collections of Christmas music. Tesh's musical career includes two accomplishments of particular interest to trivia buffs:
Wikipedia (emphasis added) wrote: In the 1990s, John Tesh was credited with the theme music to Bobby's World, hosted by Howie Mandel, and the NBA on NBC theme, known as "Roundball Rock". Tesh composed the NBA on NBC theme after an idea hit him while traveling. In order to recall his idea at a later juncture, Tesh recorded the initial beat on his answering machine, leaving a message for himself.[13] The theme was used for the NBA on NBC before the network stopped carrying NBA games following the 2001–02 season (as well as an electric guitar-driven spinoff that was used on NBC's WNBA telecasts from 1997 to 2002), though NBC would revive the theme for its basketball coverage during the 2008 Summer Olympics.
Meanwhile, the question itself is a cheeky reference to Mannheim Steamroller, known for several successful Christmas albums, their series of original works titled Fresh Aire, and Classical Gas, a 1987 collaboration with Mason Williams.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spot and Fido's Excellent Adventure.
Volante

Post by Volante »

I ended up not using any of these just to go with the MCW figuring it had a better chance... I regret my decision.

Beyond the Valley of the Dogs
Oh, The Places You'll Go On Acid
Blue's Shrooms
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:41 am I ended up not using any of these just to go with the MCW figuring it had a better chance... I regret my decision.

Beyond the Valley of the Dogs
Oh, The Places You'll Go On Acid
Blue's Shrooms
Yeah, I only BWA when I'm sure I don't have a clue (and I didn't). Those are some good ones, though.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I tried License and Registration, Please.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So, I just saw that for the I _____ the Body _____, someone put Jesse and Ventura.

How does that not get a BWA nod? If you you ever needed proof that Thorsten has zero sense of humor, I give you exhibit A.
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:41 pm So, I just saw that for the I _____ the Body _____, someone put Jesse and Ventura.

How does that not get a BWA nod? If you you ever needed proof that Thorsten has zero sense of humor, I give you exhibit A.
BWA's probably dead. Haven't seen one all season.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:22 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:41 pm So, I just saw that for the I _____ the Body _____, someone put Jesse and Ventura.

BWA's probably dead. Haven't seen one all season.
I think there was one last week.