LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by SBurrus »

What happened to DOtt???? This is one of the few seasons in my (albeit short) LL career they are not in my rundle. We had a pretty good rivalry going. Don't recognize many of the people in my grouping this time around.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Ohio State used to be in the CCHA with Lake Superior St. and Michigan Tech. I'm glad that there were enough people who knew about these two colleges to keep it from being in the single digits.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:18 am Ohio State used to be in the CCHA with Lake Superior St. and Michigan Tech. I'm glad that there were enough people who knew about these two colleges to keep it from being in the single digits.
I thought I knew both colleges but I said 'Superior State' (leaving off the Lake) and was ruled wrong. Surprisingly it didn't cost me the match. Superior state would be a way better college name.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I started LL77 with a 4(3)-4(3) tie. I got 3 points for Michigan Tech on the hockey question; I gave my opponent 3 points for Go, Dog, Go!.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I feel so much better about opening the season with 1 correct now that I see the get rates.

Also, did anyone else not receive the MD results email? It's not a big deal, but I am curious.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

From the What-The-Hell-Was-I-Thinking Dept., I said University of Michigan at Duluth (not that I would have gotten one of the correct schools anyway, but that was dumb of me).
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

cmp146, I love you so much for giving me a free point on the topic of universities in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. :D
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was born in the U.P., my uncle was a professor at Michigan Tech, and my grandparents used to live in Sault Ste. Marie, where Lake Superior State is located. So, yes, I got that question correct but still knew it was the obvious 3 point defense pick.

I put "chlorine" as in the generic name for the chemical(s) used to sanitize pools for Q1 and really thought it would be accepted. Still won my match, but that was a little annoying since Thorsten is usually quite lenient.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:58 am From the What-The-Hell-Was-I-Thinking Dept., I said University of Michigan at Duluth (not that I would have gotten one of the correct schools anyway, but that was dumb of me).
Hey, I often put Duluth in Michigan ...

... said no one ever. :)

I went with the made-up Mackinac College.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

StevenH wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:35 am I feel so much better about opening the season with 1 correct now that I see the get rates.

Also, did anyone else not receive the MD results email? It's not a big deal, but I am curious.
I didn't receive the results email this morning nor did I receive confirmation when I submitted last night. I let the Commish know and I'm sure he'll rectify the glitch. By the way, I now reside in Horizon C after a dismal finish in B last season.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So Van Halen was a lucky guess that saved my bacon.

I connected "Oh [Pretty Woman]" and "You [Really Got Me]" with that J! clue from earlier asking about OU812...and then I used 'family' to justify the guess.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:56 am So Van Halen was a lucky guess that saved my bacon.

I connected "Oh [Pretty Woman]" and "You [Really Got Me]" with that J! clue from earlier asking about OU812...and then I used 'family' to justify the guess.
*nod*

I thought the year might be a bit early, but the two songs pretty much sealed it.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:18 am Ohio State used to be in the CCHA with Lake Superior St. and Michigan Tech. I'm glad that there were enough people who knew about these two colleges to keep it from being in the single digits.
Michigan alum here. The Wolverines also used to be in the CCHA. And the annual Great Lakes Invitational hockey tournament takes place Christmas week in Detroit, with Michigan, Michigan State, and two other teams taking part. Both LSSU and MTU have played in it.

Lake Superior State is also famous for its annual list of "Banished Words": https://www.lssu.edu/banished-words-lis ... st-archive
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

I thought Tech was WCHA? At least in the mid 2000s and maybe still since the Big Ten made their own conference.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:59 am I was born in the U.P., my uncle was a professor at Michigan Tech, and my grandparents used to live in Sault Ste. Marie, where Lake Superior State is located. So, yes, I got that question correct but still knew it was the obvious 3 point defense pick.

I put "chlorine" as in the generic name for the chemical(s) used to sanitize pools for Q1 and really thought it would be accepted. Still won my match, but that was a little annoying since Thorsten is usually quite lenient.
Not sure you can get away with that when chlorine is also the name of one of the elements in the formula.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:58 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:59 am I was born in the U.P., my uncle was a professor at Michigan Tech, and my grandparents used to live in Sault Ste. Marie, where Lake Superior State is located. So, yes, I got that question correct but still knew it was the obvious 3 point defense pick.

Not sure you can get away with that when chlorine is also the name of one of the elements in the formula.
That's true, but the word "chlorine" wasn't explicitly used in the clue, so seems like there's a possibility it could be accepted. It's hard to deny that "chlorine" is the common name used for pool chemicals, one of which is sodium hypochlorite. I have appealed to Thorsten so we'll see.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Blue Lion wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:14 pm
Michigan alum here. The Wolverines also used to be in the CCHA. And the annual Great Lakes Invitational hockey tournament takes place Christmas week in Detroit, with Michigan, Michigan State, and two other teams taking part. Both LSSU and MTU have played in it.

Lake Superior State is also famous for its annual list of "Banished Words": https://www.lssu.edu/banished-words-lis ... st-archive
MTU alumnus here. MTU started the GLI and has hosted it every year since its inception. U-M joined as a permanent participant very shortly afterward. MSU has been a fixture for decades as well. Lately, the tournament has exclusively invited another school from the state of Michigan as the fourth team.

MTU was in the CCHA for a hot second back in the 80s but otherwise has been a long standing member of the WCHA.
clprez

Post by clprez »

With sports being one of my best subjects and with my profile showing that I went to school in Michigan, I was bummed because I was pretty sure that I was going to get a zero assigned on defense. However, my opponent forfeited, so I'll never know. We had a total of 4 forfeits. I hope it's just a one-time thing.

I also got both MCWAs.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

MD1 Recap
Opponent: KermanS
Result: W 6(5) - 2(2) :mrgreen:
Record: 1-0-0
Rundle Rank: 6

Question 1: When dissolved in water, the chemical compound sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) forms a solution commonly known as what?
Thought Process: Oh, I know this one! Science is generally pretty strong for me.
Answer: Bleach
Confidence Level: 85%
Defense: Opponent is middle of the road in science, but this is a tougher science question, so I gave it a 2.
Result: :mrgreen: (+2)
Opponent Result: :( (+0)

Question 2: A popular children's book by P.D. Eastman details the activities of a set of anthropomorphic canines—big, little, red, blue, yellow, etc.—who operate various means of transport, some while wearing hats, as they go about the day, ultimately ending up at a big party. What is the title of this book?
Thought Process: I first saw P.D. Eastman and thought I was going to have to dredge up what he wrote, but luckily Thorsten gave enough other clues that I didn't have to work too hard. In other news, I now have the song "Having fun isn't hard when you've got a library card" from Arthur stuck in my head now since it mentions this book.
Answer: Go Dog Go
Confidence Level: 100%
Defense: I took a gamble with this one, but since several questions seemed to be out of my opponent's wheelhouse I decided to give it a 1.
Result: :mrgreen: (+1)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+1)

Question 3: A predecessor to what still-active rock band was formed by its pre-teen founders as "The Broken Combs" way back in 1964? Coincidentally, this is the same year that Roy Orbison's "Oh, Pretty Woman" and The Kinks' "You Really Got Me" were released as singles.
Thought Process: Ugh, pop music. I abhor pop music. I assume those two other songs are clues, but I don't know where to go with them. I'm just going to have to slap down an awful guess (retrospectively, I'm annoyed I couldn't come up with the Rolling Stones - even though it was wrong it would've been a better guess)
Answer: The Beatles
Confidence Level: 0%
Defense: Pop music is their weakest category, and this is a tough question, so it was the obvious 3.
Result: :( (+0)

Question 4: There are three NCAA Division I hockey teams whose universities are located in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. One is Northern Michigan; name either of the other two.
Thought Process: Thanks, Andy! Because of my episode a couple weeks ago where we had to name Men's Hockey national champs, I remembered one of these answers existed, so I figured it was worth a shot as being on the UP.
Answer: Michigan Tech
Confidence Level: 65%
Defense: Opponent's second-worst category is sports so that's an obvious 2.
Result: :mrgreen: (+2)

Question 5: Supporters of the Parliament during the English Civil War of the mid-17th century were known by what derogatory name, so called due to their close-cropped hair (contrasting with the long hair of the Royalists/Cavaliers)?
Thought Process: Straight history question. I'm pretty sure I know it, but does that make sense with the clue? I guess close-cropped hair would show off a round head, so that makes sense.
Answer: Roundheads
Confidence Level: 80%
Defense: Straight history question, and they're decent at history (certainly better than other categories) so that gets a 1
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+1)

Question 6: Darrell Hammond, Norm Macdonald, Rob Riggle, George Hamilton, Rob Lowe, and Reba McEntire are among the actors who have appeared in television ads portraying what corporate mascot?
Thought Process: In the bank. Not only did it appear on Andy's show before, but I had a GWD question about Reba McEntire being the first woman to play this role. I also definitely remember Darrell Hammond and Rob Lowe doing it. Money in the bank.
Answer: Colonel Sanders
Confidence Level: 100%
Defense: I'm bad at television, but surely everyone knows these, right? (Narrator: Wrong)
Last edited by Wpwells on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I began the season with my first 0(0) in almost two years. Totally forgot there was a female Colonel Sanders. At least my 0-fer was against tjconn, who's beaten me more times than anyone else. And I still have perfect defense...
Hoping for a third lap