Friday, June 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Friday, June 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OrangeSAM »

mikebdoss wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:29 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:29 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:12 pm "This type of turtle". Wait, there's more than one? Can't say I've heard of a box turtle.
Box, snapping, ninja...

One day I'll make it to the Nixon birthplace...it's just up the street...
Hah. We must be neighbors. I'm just a couple miles away, and haven't ever visited. It's on my list for this year.
I am a bit further south.

The one time we visited was during a nephew's LAX layover of 15 hours or so after several months in Asia. He wanted to visit Reagan Library, but Mrs. OS and I convinced him to A) stop and eat some American food, B) visit the Nixon Library instead, and C) get some shuteye chez OS before heading back to the airport.

This was just as preparations were being made to get the facility into NARA so the Watergate exhibit had been removed for revision.
OCSam
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The FJ got me interested in presidential graves. I found this article about a guy who has been to all of them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... story.html

The fascinating thing was a comment he made about Nixon’s grave. It said he was buried closest to his birthplace. I have no idea if that is true, however.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:39 pm The FJ got me interested in presidential graves. I found this article about a guy who has been to all of them.

The fascinating thing was a comment he made about Nixon’s grave. It said he was buried closest to his birthplace. I have no idea if that is true, however.
The Nixon Birthplace is on the grounds of the Nixon Library so at the very least it's got a strong claim to that trivia nugget.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:39 pm The FJ got me interested in presidential graves. I found this article about a guy who has been to all of them.

RMN and Pat are both buried at that site, just a few steps from his modest childhood home.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I guess I thought the Harding Tomb was on the land he was born in, but I see that he was born in an adjacent county and moved to Marion later.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

squarekara wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:47 pm

RMN and Pat are both buried at that site, just a few steps from his modest childhood home.
Thanks for that. I would have guessed that record was held by one of the early ones.

I wonder who died closest to his place of birth. Carter was born in Plains (and I think still lives there), so he may ultimately hold that one. Or maybe NY born Trump.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

Jeff's streak came to an end following a solid performance by Ian. FJ only required remembering that Nixon was born in California, and then not being able to think of any other President born that far West in the continental US.