LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by Volante »

Knew I was going to miss that glasnost/perestroika coin flip...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

Wpwells wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:27 pm
Question 6: "Not Tonight Josephine"—purportedly (but likely not) once uttered by Napoleon to Empress Joséphine one evening—was the working title of what 1959 comedy film, in reference to a character portrayed by a character portrayed by one of the movie's main actors?
Thought Process: So, I don't know this one. For some reason "Some Like It Hot" is tickling the back of my headbone, but I literally have no idea why. However, since Film is such a bad category for me, I guess that's what I'm going with.
I got to Some Like it Hot from the year it was released and "character portrayed by a character". I stumbled across the year it was released after reading an article a friend sent me about the Hays Code. Some Like it Hot was released without the industry's seal of approval, and its popularity was considered a death blow to the Code. (By the way, I ran across Entertainment Weekly's list of 55 movies to show a child before age 13, and Some Like it Hot was on that list.)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

sfumato? Well, the French root for smoke is fum. Don't know Italian, but what could it be? fumato? That sounds ridiculous. I know that chiaroscuro ain't right - that means light / dark - and Caravaggio wasn't mentioned in the clue. Could it be ombré? Not really sure what that means, and ombre in French means shadow or shade - see Umbria. But fumato sounds absurd. Let's go with ombré. I doubt fumato would have been accepted, but I've sneaked by with questionable spellings in LL before. Now we'll never know!

Won both my matches anyway with 5 right - and 3 lucky guesses! Figured the organ had to be the brain, but I did flirt with the MCWA of lungs before concluding Broca / bronchial was a stretch. Wrote video home standard for VHS, then saw standard in the clue and changed the S to system, fully expecting it to be wrong, because this is the sort of information I never bother to learn. I don't even know what AM and FM stand for

Robin Williams because WECIB?

Incidentally, I looked up ombré - the meaning is more or less the same, but the first search result was about Khloe Kardashian's highlights :roll:
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I eked out a tie 4(4)-4(3) thanks to my good defense giving 3 for the art and 2 for the VHS. What has me laughing is I was assigned 3 for the VHS. Just because that is Business my next to worse category, it's really TV, my best category on LL. With all of the archiving of old J! games I do with VHS tapes and VCRs I darned well better know what it is.

For missing the art I tried a combo of what morbeedo mentioned above and wrote fumoscuro.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So, you know how you can look up someone's statistics by category (Georgraphy, Science, etc.)? Are those breakdowns available for all of LL, for example for a season? Are those compiled somewhere? I have a vague memory of seeing them somewhere at some point.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Volante wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:34 am Knew I was going to miss that glasnost/perestroika coin flip...
I wonder how many people did the same thing with jambalaya and gumbo.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:55 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:34 am Knew I was going to miss that glasnost/perestroika coin flip...
I wonder how many people did the same thing with jambalaya and gumbo.
I did, yes I did
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:20 pm sfumato? Well, the French root for smoke is fum. Don't know Italian, but what could it be? fumato? That sounds ridiculous. I know that chiaroscuro ain't right - that means light / dark - and Caravaggio wasn't mentioned in the clue. Could it be ombré? Not really sure what that means, and ombre in French means shadow or shade - see Umbria. But fumato sounds absurd. Let's go with ombré. I doubt fumato would have been accepted, but I've sneaked by with questionable spellings in LL before. Now we'll never know!
I tried "sfume", which was not judged to be close enough.
clprez

Post by clprez »

How did you guys know to start the sfumato answer with 'sf'?

Based on my knowledge of french, I thought the answer was fum<something>, but even if I got it right, I would have never thought to put an 's' in front of it.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

alietr wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:14 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:09 pm
alietr wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:30 pm Yep. More MagA for me.
You need to get a hat with your rundle name on it. :lol:
Around here, I'd get shot if I wore it.
Make Andy great again!
In and out of the pool four times
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I think that not accepting "Roosevelt Doctrine" for "Roosevelt Corollary" is ticky-tack.
Sprinkles are for winners.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:07 am I think that not accepting "Roosevelt Doctrine" for "Roosevelt Corollary" is ticky-tack.
But amazingly, "Theodore Roosevelt" was accepted. *shrug*
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:21 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:07 am I think that not accepting "Roosevelt Doctrine" for "Roosevelt Corollary" is ticky-tack.
Grrr. I'm not going to talk softly about this.

Edit: my misquoting of TR was a mistake, but definitely adds a slight taste of irony to the post. I'm leaving it in.
Last edited by boson on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Amazingly, Deadliest Catch made my shortlist but I changed my answer to Dr. Who, knowing it wouldn’t be right! Argh. Would have given me W/T instead of L/L :(
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:07 am Amazingly, Deadliest Catch made my shortlist but I changed my answer to Dr. Who, knowing it wouldn’t be right! Argh. Would have given me W/T instead of L/L :(
I had nothing, so I went with Dr. Who for no particular reason, oddly enough. Deadliest Catch never occurred to me, but I did recognize some of the names after I saw the answer. As for Barbara Kruger? NHOH. The Wiz was another miss; when I saw the answer, I could see some dots leading to it, but they were microscopic enough that that wasn't happening either.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm fine with negging Doctrine, because that's not what it's called. But it's also not called "Roosevelt", so allowing that is complete BS.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

MD4 Recap
Opponent: NelsonK4
Result: W 8(5) - 5(3) :mrgreen:
Record: 2-0-2
Rundle Rank: 4

Question 1: The Time Bandit, Cornelia Marie, Saga, Wizard, Northwestern, and (tragically) Big Valley are among the vessels that have been featured on what television series?
Thought Process: Okay so those all sound like ship names. What's a show that features ships as a main theme? Also, it sounds like one of these ships was lost. OH DUH THAT MAKES PERFECT SENSE.
Answer: Deadliest Catch
Confidence Level: 75%
Defense: This is definitely a tough question, though not the toughest. I'll go with a 2.
Result: :mrgreen: (+2)
Opponent Result: :( (+0)

Question 2: The popular skateboard and apparel brand Supreme famously "borrowed" its logo and aesthetic from the work, such as the graphic pictured here, of what conceptual artist?
Thought Process: Katie Sekelsky is now my best friend because of this question. This appeared on Inkling #3. Her name starts with a K......KRUGER!
Answer: Kruger
Confidence Level: 90%
Defense: No one is ever any good at these modern conceptual artist questions. Here's our 3.
Result: :mrgreen: (+2)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+3)

Question 3: Prompted by the 1902-03 armed intervention of British and German forces in Venezuela to settle debt claims, an amendment to the Monroe Doctrine was issued stating that only the United States may act as an "international police power" in the Western Hemisphere. This supplement is commonly known by what name, after the man who issued it in 1904?
Thought Process: This seems too easy to be true, unless it was someone who wasn't president who issued it. But, this also seems to be a perfect example of Roosevelt's foreign policy, so maybe it is that easy. (Note: RTFQ, WESLEY!!!!)
Answer: Roosevelt
Confidence Level: 80%
Defense: He's almost perfect in American History. Here's the 0 (apparently he didn't RTFQ either because he was also negged after the change)
Result: :( (+0)

Question 4: What language, which has an official designation in Ethiopia and is considered a holy language by the Rastafari religion, is the second-most commonly spoken Semitic language in the world (after Arabic)?
Thought Process: Ethiopian language is a Pavlov
Answer: Amharic
Confidence Level: 100%
Defense: Geography and World History are solid for him, and Language is pretty solid, so this is a 1
Result: :mrgreen: (+1)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+1)

Question 5: "Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad News," "Believe in Yourself," "Everybody Rejoice" ("A Brand New Day"), and "Slide Some Oil to Me" are songs from what musical that debuted on Broadway in January 1975?
Thought Process: Ahhh yes, Broadway musical questions are generally solid for me, particularly after a memorable rendition of "Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad News" on a recent episode of Trivial Warfare. Also, my Theater score isn't bad, so I don't know why he decided this was my 3.
Answer: The Wiz
Defense: Theater is his worst. If it weren't for Kruger this is the 3, but with Kruger I have to settle for a 2.
Result: :mrgreen: (+3)

Question 6: In mathematics, the best-known and most commonly used coordinate system for identifying a point in a plane is named after what man, who invented it in the 17th century?
Thought Process: That's the Cartesian plane, named for Descartes. Easy peasy. Still only one miss in Math for my career.
Answer: Descartes
Defense: Most people know that about Descartes, plus he's good at math, so that's a 1.
Result: :mrgreen: (+0)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+1)
Last edited by Wpwells on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:07 am
morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:07 am Amazingly, Deadliest Catch made my shortlist but I changed my answer to Dr. Who, knowing it wouldn’t be right! Argh. Would have given me W/T instead of L/L :(
I had nothing, so I went with Dr. Who for no particular reason, oddly enough. Deadliest Catch never occurred to me, but I did recognize some of the names after I saw the answer. As for Barbara Kruger? NHOH. The Wiz was another miss; when I saw the answer, I could see some dots leading to it, but they were microscopic enough that that wasn't happening either.
I was feeling particularly smug coming up with Star Trek Discovery and Shepard Fairey...before seeing the reveal.

The Wiz was a Family Guy get. Part of 'A Brand New Day' was spoofed and I had to look up the reference.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:31 am
I'm fine with negging Doctrine, because that's not what it's called. But it's also not called "Roosevelt", so allowing that is complete BS.
I didn't know the answer, but figured it had to do with TR, so I took a stab at "Roosevelt Declaration", which was negged. Real head scratcher that "Roosevelt" and "Theodore Roosevelt" were accepted, but not "Roosevelt Thingamajig". (Now the relatively high 47% get rate makes more sense. American History is my all-time second-best category, but "Roosevelt Corollary" doesn't ring any bell.)

As offered by a commenter on the LL site: "Also, has this rule applied historically, and will it apply in the future? If yes, the smart play will always be to give only a partial answer if you're at all uncertain about the other part (or even parts?). Seems less than ideal."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:07 am
I guessed right on The Wiz, but none of those songs really helped. Theatre is my strongest cateogry in LL, so that scored me a 0

The word vessel had me thinking that it wasn't a boat he was going for. So I got locked into the sci-fi genre with Dr. Who, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc. Time Bandit was pretty obvious negbait, but I still bit

I'm in the 10% who got Barbara Kruger - in fact, I've been waiting for her to pop up in LL. Do you recognize her style though? My favorite of hers:
Spoiler