Tuesday, June 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7777, 2018-06-05

CONTESTANTS
Megan Beesley, a public defender from St. Louis, Missouri
Joe Castro, a comptroller from Pasadena, California
Leslie Manion, a bookseller from Vancouver, Washington (whose 1-day cash winnings total $599)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Yeah, that's right--$599. My memory's not as good as it used to be, but I do believe that's the lowest winning score this season on Jeopardy!. Hey, it happens. Okay. Joe, Megan, welcome. Leslie, good to see you again. Let's start earning money with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TRUE CRIME BOOKS, SWEETHEART (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PULITZER PRIZE MUSICALS (4/5)
BALL IN THE FAMILY (5/5)
HAWAIIAN CROSSWORD CLUES (3/3)
I DON'T WANNA CRAMP (4/5)
YOUR STYLE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joe: 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Leslie: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Megan: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joe found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Leslie had no money, Joe had $400, and Megan was at $200. Joe wagered $1,000.

TRUE CRIME BOOKS, SWEETHEART $600: "The Skies Belong to Us" narrates one 1972 instance of this crime that was unfortunately big in that era
(Alex: Joe?)
(Joe: Uh... oh, uh, airplane? What is airplane terrorism?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joe: $3,400
Megan: $1,200
Leslie: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Megan Beesley is a public defender from St. Louis, Missouri. Your parents don't like your cat. I wanna know why.

Megan: I visited for Christmas with my cats, and my cats taught their cat how to open cabinet doors by slamming them with their paws. So they've been kept up some nights and they're not happy about it.

Alex: Good reason for your parents to be ticked off at you.

Alex: Joe Castro, comptroller from Pasadena, California, but a Cleveland sports fan.

Joe: Yes.

Alex: Why is that?

Joe: Originally, I was born in Cleveland.

Alex: Ah.

Joe: Grew up there, suffered there.

Alex: Okay, the Browns, not too much hope.

Joe: Yeah.

Alex: Hey, Cavaliers.

Joe: Hey, let's hope.

Alex: Great. Maybe the Indians this season.

Joe: Maybe. I hope so.

Alex: You hope so. Okay, good for you.

Alex: Leslie Manion is our champion. She's a bookseller from Washington. Participated in the Rose City Yarn Crawl. What is that?

Leslie: It mimics a pub crawl.

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Leslie: So yarn stores open up their wares, have special patterns, have designer events.

Alex: It's not a contest, though.

Leslie: It's not a contest. It's an event for us to shop.

Alex: Oh, hello. All right, I'll join that.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PULITZER PRIZE MUSICALS $800: 5 people, including Marvin Hamlisch, shared the 1976 Drama award for this musical
(Leslie: What is Hair?)

YOUR STYLE $1000: In Paris it's a men's shirt; in New York it's a type of dress, loose-cut & short

I DON'T WANNA CRAMP $1000: This type of fever characterized by muscle stiffness & painful joints may take its name from the Swahili for "cramp"
(Leslie: What is rheumatic fever?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joe: $4,000
Leslie: $3,000
Megan: $2,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! RounDOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BLACK-&-WHITE PHOTO CHALLENGE (5/5)
17th CENTURY SCIENCE (5/5)
THE RAMBO CONNECTION (3/5)
GEOGRAPHY "B" (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE INTERJECTION SECTION (3/5)
PORTUGAL, THE MAN (0/3, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joe: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Megan: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Leslie: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Megan snagged the next Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Leslie had $4,200, Joe had $11,600, and Megan was at $6,000. Megan wagered $4,000.

GEOGRAPHY "B" $1200: In 2017 Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah marked 50 years on the throne of this country
(Alex: Megan?)
(Megan: What is Bhutan?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Joe who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Leslie had $2,600, Joe had $13,600, and Megan was at $3,600. Joe wagered $1,000.

PORTUGAL, THE MAN $1200: Despite his nickname, this prince who sponsored many voyages didn't go on the expeditions himself
(Alex: Joe?)
(Joe: [Shakes head])
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PORTUGAL, THE MAN $400: Years after fleeing Portugal with the royal family, Pedro I became emperor of this country

THE RAMBO CONNECTION $800: General Rambo was one of the many warlords to plague this African nation under the rule of Charles Taylor

THE RAMBO CONNECTION $2000: "Rambo III" was originally dedicated to these rebel fighters of Afghanistan; the dedication has been removed
(Leslie: Who are the Taliban?)

THE INTERJECTION SECTION $1200: After big plays, Yankees broadcaster Phil Rizzuto would often exclaim this 2-word beastly interjection

PORTUGAL, THE MAN $800: Portugal's national poet Luis de Camoes wrote the 16th century epic "The Lusiads" about this explorer

GEOGRAPHY "B" $2000: The misidentification of ospreys may have given this Massachusetts bay its name
(Alex: We have less than a minute now.)

THE INTERJECTION SECTION $1600: The French have "voila!"; we use this hyphenated word ending in "A" for the same purpose
(Leslie: What is aha?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Joe: $12,600 (lock game)
Megan: $3,600
Leslie: $2,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTIONAL CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Joe: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $5,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Megan: Wager $1,601 to cover Leslie.
Leslie: Risk between $0 and $600, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He got a real N.Y. Times obit in 1975; it said he wore "false mustaches to mask signs of age that offended his vanity"

FINAL SCORES
Leslie: $2,600 - $2,595 = $5 (Who is Don Corleone) (2nd place: $2,000)
Megan: $3,600 - $3,598 = $2 (Who is The Monopoly) (3rd place: $1,000)
Joe: $12,600 - $3,216 = $9,384 (Who was Mark Twain?) (New champion: $9,384)
(Alex: [To Megan] Who is... I can't make it out. What does it say?)
(Megan: The Monopoly Man.)
(Alex: [To Joe] No, the fictional character who got a real obituary in the New York Times was [*], just after Agatha Christie killed him off in one of her works.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Joe: $14,600, 19 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Megan: $7,600, 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Leslie: $2,600, 14 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $24,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Joe: 19/60 = .317
Leslie: 14/58 = .241
Megan: 10/59 = .169
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BALL IN THE FAMILY $1000: Last name of college football legend Bobby, whose sons Jeff, Terry & Tommy have followed him into coaching
[Applause for Joe running the category.]

YOUR STYLE $200: It's a product for hair or a type of chilled after-dinner treat, but definitely not both at once
(Joe: What's a gel?)

I DON'T WANNA CRAMP $600: Men's Fitness' "5 Nutrient-Rich Dishes" providing this cramp-fighting element included avocado, salmon & papaya
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

I DON'T WANNA CRAMP $800: Diuretics lower this measure, so you can fit the new 2017 standards, but deplete fluid, which can lead to cramping
(Megan: What's calories?)

HAWAIIAN CROSSWORD CLUES $600: Headquarters of the U.S. Navy's Pacific fleet
(5, 6)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

BLACK-&-WHITE PHOTO CHALLENGE $400: Remember this historic landmark, built as a Roman Catholic mission

BLACK-&-WHITE PHOTO CHALLENGE $800: Why bother with a color photo when the skin of this water mammal is grayish anyway?

BLACK-&-WHITE PHOTO CHALLENGE $1200: In black-&-white may be the way many remember this alliterative actress of the 1930s, who starred in films like "Ninotchka"

BLACK-&-WHITE PHOTO CHALLENGE $1600: Get your kicks from these rhymingly named boots here

BLACK-&-WHITE PHOTO CHALLENGE $2000: These ferns, whose name includes a word for a young lady, take their name from their delicate fronds

17th CENTURY SCIENCE $1600: Logarithmic scales are key to this adjustable calculator invented by William Oughtred

17th CENTURY SCIENCE $2000: With his telescope in 1610, Galileo focused in on this moon, the largest of Jupiter & of our solar system
(Leslie: What is Titan?)

GEOGRAPHY "B" $800: It's the northernmost of New York City's boroughs
(Joe: What is Brooklyn?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
skyjacking
A Chorus Line
a chemise
dengue fever
Brunei
Henry the Navigator
Brazil
Liberia
the Mujahideen
holy cow
Vasco da Gama
Buzzards Bay
ta-da
Hercule Poirot
Bowden
mousse
potassium
blood pressure
Pearl Harbor
the Alamo
a manatee
Greta Garbo
mukluks
maidenhair
a slide rule
Ganymede
the Bronx
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTIONAL CHARACTERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He got a real New York Times obit in 1975; it said he wore “false mustaches to mask signs of age that offended his vanity”

Leslie Manion: 2600-2595=5
Joe Castro: 12600-3216=9384 (New Champ)
Megan Beesley: 3600-3598=2

Correct response:
Spoiler
Hercule Poirot (Leslie – Don Corleone) (Joe – Mark Twain) (Megan – Monopoly [going for Monopoly man])

Daily Doubles
Joe: 400-1000
Megan:6000-4000
Joe: 13600-1000

Coryats
Leslie: 2600
Joe: 14600
Megan: 7600

Combined: 24,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Leslie: 3000
Joe: 4000
Megan: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BALL IN THE FAMILY was +3000 for Joe thanks to the run.

The FJ! clue has appeared in various ways previously
Spoiler

#7184, aired 2015-12-03 THE NEW YORK TIMES: OBITUARIES $200: Obituary subjects are real people, but this Belgian detective created by Agatha Christie merited a Page 1 obit in 1975
#5833, aired 2010-01-13 LITERARY CHARACTERS $400: In 1975 The New York Times ran an obituary stating that this "famed Belgian detective" was dead
#4066, aired 2002-04-15 A CHRISTIE MYSTERY $800: To coincide with his death in "Curtain", the New York Times printed an obituary of this Belgian detective in 1975
#3104, aired 1998-02-12 FOREIGN EYE $600: The New York Times gave a front-page obituary to this fictional Belgian detective
Those previous clues were enough for me to solve it within seconds. During think time I thought that if any of the players did not know it that the gamut of guesses was wide open. The players did not disappoint.

After witnessing an 0-6 game on big clues the others players for that day’s pool must have been both champing and chomping at the bit to get on stage.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Oh man - a famous mustachioed character who might be vain? I matched Megan with the Monopoly Man.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

What a lackluster game - with more bad FJ wagering. Everyone looked flummoxed for most of the game.

Flubs on easy DDs and an instaget of a FJ if there ever was one. Well, for Agatha Christie fans, at least. :geek:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No chicken coop for Leslie’s husband but she does get an extra grand from Megan’s overbet to top second place from yesterday. I did like Joe’s DD wager. With $3,600 left on the board, the best Megan could do was $7,200. If he get Prince Henry, he had $14,600. Granted, it was probably a random number, but it did have an actual benefit.

It wound up not mattering since he missed it and the last two clues went unplayed.

No chance for me on FJ, put down Dorian Gray just to have something.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The early returns have me laughing as Bamaman, Wpwells, Elijah Baley all have joined me at 50% for the week. You win some, you lose some.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Glad to see Leslie pick up the extra thousand, especially since Alex kept harping on the low payout from the previous day. Did I hear right? Did he call it the lowest of the season? How can he have forgotten about Manny's dollar?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:13 pm Did I hear right? Did he call it the lowest of the season? How can he have forgotten about Manny's dollar?
In Alex's defence, he did have major surgery recently.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:04 pm
squarekara wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:13 pm Did I hear right? Did he call it the lowest of the season? How can he have forgotten about Manny's dollar?
In Alex's defence, he did have major surgery recently.
Oh, that's right. :oops:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

10-7-14 FJ! Category: Fauxbituaries
Clue: He received a real obituary in the Albuquerque Journal in 2013 noting his "long battle with lung cancer".

In the coincidence department is Mark Twain was a wrong guess for this clue as well.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Didn't recognize anything at all in Crime. What was the TOM for Los Angeles in the top box?

In fact, the whole board seemed incredibly tough. I got maybe five or six right in the whole game.

"Focal hand" cramp misled me to photographer.

Any reason why "airplane terrorism" didn't BMS to "skyjacking"? That seems like a closer BMS than the ones I've seen.

No guess on FJ! If I've seen the name before, then I didn't retain it.

Lach Trash: "holy cow"
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:29 pm Any reason why "airplane terrorism" didn't BMS to "skyjacking"? That seems like a closer BMS than the ones I've seen.
Skyjacking doesn't have to involve terrorism, so I'm cool with no BMS. But I agree that other BMSes have stretched a point much further than that. I think if Joe had given that response right away, he might have gotten the BMS. But he hemmed and hawed and finally started to spit out his answer as time ran out. So I think they'd already given him as much leeway as they felt was reasonable.
hscer

Post by hscer »

did Mr. Magoo have a mustache?
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I can't blame the contestants, because I found this board to be pretty hard. I feel like I deserve more than $1600 in Lach trash for Liberia and Vasco de Gama.

I had no idea on FJ. I didn't know anything about Poirot other than he was a fictional Belgian detective created by Agatha Christie, and I would have associated him with an earlier decade.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I wish the producers or someone would provide Alex with a card about statistics whenever he wants to make a comment on those types of things. Surely if Alex doesn't remember, someone else on staff must.

Nothing for this final - put down Groucho Marx to have something with a mustache and yes, I know he was real. Much like Edith Wharton, etc., one of these days I'll get around to learning Agatha Christie trivia. I promise. :D
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Are the regular clue writers on vacation and the interns are doing the writing? It just seems like the clue quality has gone way down. Why wasn't A-ha accepted? And how the %^&#! are we supposed to get Hercule Poirot out of that hot mess of a FJ?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

DBear wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 pm Are the regular clue writers on vacation and the interns are doing the writing? It just seems like the clue quality has gone way down. Why wasn't A-ha accepted? And how the %^&#! are we supposed to get Hercule Poirot out of that hot mess of a FJ?
One of the most famous fictional characters - known for his vanity and moustache - from an author who sold some 2 billion books and you're bitching because it's not something you know.

Sounds like someone else around here. :D

Seriously though, it's no different from any garden variety FJ clue that would be well known to someone familiar with [fill in the artist/author here].
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

today was kind of a reverse from yesterday...yesterday i learned of kate spade on jeopardy and today i saw online she died....yesterday was the first time i had ever heard of portugal, the man when i saw someone post that name and today i see a category on jeopardy playing off of that band's name