LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by RandyG »

Thorsten reversed his initial scoring..... only "Roosevelt Corollary" is correct now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

RandyG wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:12 am Thorsten reversed his initial scoring..... only "Roosevelt Corollary" is correct now.
Seems it was a back end goof
https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php ... 30#p105545
Sorry everyone. Roosevelt alone was never intended to be accepted as a correct answer for this question. That was an error with the scoring algorithm (well, a human error introduced into the application of the algorithm, but anyway).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Don't you love it when you miss something and then the answer hits you in the face soon after?

I remember one of my first trivia contests - I was in college and was not well versed on food (this has since changed), and was asked what one normally does with a chorizo (choices: eat it, drink it, drive it, or wear it). I thought it sounded like a cocktail, so I chose "drink it." The next day, the lunch menu included Spanish rice with chorizo.

I missed the Wiz, and lo-and-behold, 33-across in today's NYT crossword: "1975 Best Musical Tony winner, with 'The'" (3 letters, I had the I in the middle before getting to it) :oops:
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The difference for me being in C this season instead of B? The gift of a 3(2)-1(2) victory.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My first RTFQ of the season with Cartesian. A small consolation in that I would have lost anyway.

I had Jesus Christ, Superstar for the musical.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:14 am
RandyG wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:12 am Thorsten reversed his initial scoring..... only "Roosevelt Corollary" is correct now.
Seems it was a back end goof
https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php ... 30#p105545
Sorry everyone. Roosevelt alone was never intended to be accepted as a correct answer for this question. That was an error with the scoring algorithm (well, a human error introduced into the application of the algorithm, but anyway).
Awesome, now I've got a W/T instead of double LLs

But wait, why wasn't Big Stick Policy accepted?? :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:06 am The word vessel had me thinking that it wasn't a boat he was going for. So I got locked into the sci-fi genre with Dr. Who, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc. Time Bandit was pretty obvious negbait, but I still bit
Me, too. I ended up putting down "The Orville." I knew the name Cornelia Marie was familiar, but couldn't connect the dots. I've never watched "Deadliest Catch" but the captains from the show come up in the local news here in Seattle periodically (most of the Alaska fishing fleet's home port is Seattle).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:15 pm I had Jesus Christ, Superstar for the musical.
That was my guess, too. I have the Hair soundtrack, so I knew not to go there.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Took my first loss yesterday, 3(2)-6(4), and nothing I could've done to change it as my only 50/50 miss was mixing up my quechua language tribes and going with Mayans over Incans and not remembering the name of the President of France (Le pin was all that came to mind but knew he had lost), and neither or both correct would've given me a tie since my opponent who is like 15% for Pop Music got Lil. But, my real question is on the backgammon one. I've never played, but for those who do, was the question referencing different piece names in the game, or what people around the world might call them? Also, was the "bear off" reference relevant? My wife has played a lot of backgammon and neither the game piece names nor the reference meant anything to her.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

MD5 Recap
Opponent: McAuleyK
Result: T 9(6) - 9(6) ;)
Record: 2-0-3
Rundle Rank: 6

Question 1: Pawns, chips, stones, nips, discs, pips, counters, checkers, men, and draughts are different names for the fifteen pieces (per player) in what game, where the object is to bear off these pieces before one's opponent?
Thought Process: Draughts that'll be checkers. Oh wait checkers is also in the clue. Oh, maybe...backgammon?
Answer: Backgammon
Confidence Level: 80%
Defense: She's not great at Games/Sport, but this is a little bit easier so I'll knock it down to a 2 instead of a 3.
Result: :mrgreen: (+1)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+2)

Question 2: Identify the man in the foreground of this photograph.
Thought Process: Emmanuel Macron is the Doug Gottlieb of France.
Answer: Macron
Confidence Level: 100%
Defense: This is a tough defensive game. Some people (like me) struggle with picture questions, so I'll go with the 3 here.
Result: :mrgreen: (+0)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+3)

Question 3: What is the historical name of the empire known natively and contemporaneously as Tawantinsuyu ("Empire of the Four Regions")? This better-known name comes from Quechua for "king."
Thought Process: Two-layer Pavlov. Quechua = Peru. Peru Empire = Inca
Answer: Incan Empire
Confidence Level: 100
Defense: Neither World History nor Language are her very strongest, so I'll go with a 2.
Result: :mrgreen: (+2)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+2)

Question 4: Pump, Dicky, Skies, Yachty, Uzi Vert: These terms, and many others, are all preceded by what word to form the names of popular American rap artists?
Thought Process: Ha! We were talking about this at work the other day - how many rappers use Lil in front of their name. I had also certainly heard of Lil Pump, Lil Dicky, Lil Yachty, and Lil Uzi Vert (but don't ask me to name any songs by any of them).
Answer: Lil
Defense: I thought this was an easy pop music, so this is the 1.
Result: :mrgreen: (+3)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+1)

Question 5: The term for the cartilaginous flap that covers the opening of the windpipe is one example of the use of what three-letter prefix that indicates "above," "over," or "upon"?
Thought Process: So that flap is the epiglottis. Is it that easy? Epidermis is the outer layer of skin, so I'll say yes.
Answer: Epi
Defense: This one is also pretty easy, so that's also a 1.
Result: :mrgreen: (+1)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+1)

Question 6: In mathematics, the best-known and most commonly used coordinate system for identifying a point in a plane is named after what man, who invented it in the 17th century?
Thought Process: One of those things I just knew
Answer: Tuxedo
Defense: No way she doesn't know this. Here's the 0
Result: :mrgreen: (+2)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+0)
Last edited by Wpwells on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:54 am not remembering the name of the President of France (Le pin was all that came to mind but knew he had lost)
Le Pen ... and, errr, she. ;)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I deserve that loss. Sarkozy! And I didn't even get a nagging doubt about it either.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Got the win yesterday, but kind of miffed Thorsten considers a tuxedo an "article of clothing." I thought of tuxedo, but dismissed it for that reason.
(edit: after reading the LL discussion thread it's mentioned that "tuxedo" can also refer to just the jacket)

I considered Ascot (pretty sure this is a place in the UK), cravat, and spats. I ended up going with spats, but I was pretty confident it was wrong when I submitted.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

BarrettM, good match. You were the recipient of a few lucky / educated guesses. When I first looked early in the morning, the picture didn't ring a bell. Later, I thought he looked familiar, and didn't think he was a member of Congress, so that led to probably recently elected world leaders. From there went to Macron. I thought #3 was Wakanda for a little bit--a friend of mine used to live in Africa and spoke Chehua, and i had just been talking with him about language stuff, so I was thinking about that instead of Quechua. I was thinking at first it may have been a movie question (I haven't seen Black Panther yet) until I came to my senses and realized it wanted Quechua, not Chehua. Epi- was another that I'm glad I stewed on for a while, as eventually I worked my way towards. And tuxedo was a lucky get. Couldn't get smoking jacket out of my head for awhile because of the tobacco part of the question, and had no idea on Hudson Valley villages, so I just threw down tuxedo as it's something fancy.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ouachiouat wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:34 am BarrettM, good match. You were the recipient of a few lucky / educated guesses. When I first looked early in the morning, the picture didn't ring a bell. Later, I thought he looked familiar, and didn't think he was a member of Congress, so that led to probably recently elected world leaders. From there went to Macron. I thought #3 was Wakanda for a little bit--a friend of mine used to live in Africa and spoke Chehua, and i had just been talking with him about language stuff, so I was thinking about that instead of Quechua. I was thinking at first it may have been a movie question (I haven't seen Black Panther yet) until I came to my senses and realized it wanted Quechua, not Chehua. Epi- was another that I'm glad I stewed on for a while, as eventually I worked my way towards. And tuxedo was a lucky get. Couldn't get smoking jacket out of my head for awhile because of the tobacco part of the question, and had no idea on Hudson Valley villages, so I just threw down tuxedo as it's something fancy.
I was mad at myself for hurting my score with speed play as I had "uvu" when I should have slowed down to get epi. My four right instead of five did not matter as I did go with smoking jacket. Nice perfecto and congrats on the win.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

My lucky / educated guess streak continues! Lil, Inca and Backgammon, plus instagets Macron and epi - (just 59%?) pushed me over the top.

Considering I finished LL76 in 22nd place with a dismal 7-16-2 record, I'm feeling pretty good about 4-1-0 on MD6 - but it's still early days and I've yet to face the indomitable Elendilpickle!

This NYer missed tuxedo - I submitted at midnight and went with the more pedestrian Birkenstocks, which doesn't really jive with 'social elite'. You could have given me all day, and I don't think I would've come up with tuxedo
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:28 pmConsidering I finished LL76 in 22nd place with a dismal 7-16-2 record, I'm feeling pretty good about 4-1-0 on MD6 - but it's still early days and I've yet to face the indomitable Elendilpickle!
You're talking to the woman who takes a screenshot of those rare occasions when I'm first in our rundle because I know it won't last. :mrgreen:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:28 pm Birkenstocks
Glad I wasn't the only one :oops:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I thought Quechua sounded better for South America than for Mexico/Central America, and "empire" seems to follow Incan while you usually hear Mayan "civilization". Nonetheless, I went with Mayan because it seemed better situated for "four regions" (North America, South America, and two of three among Central America, Caribbean/Atlantic, and the Pacific).

Ascot for the piece of clothing/resort village. It did not help me to be from New York (unless perhaps I was zeroed on it. Haven't checked), and I never would have considered Tuxedo. Even Glenn Miller's Tuxedo Junction was in Alabama.

I guessed "master" for the rap name and felt pretty good about it once I realized how similar "Master Uzi Vert" was to "Master of the Universe".
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Both my opponents gave me birthday gifts in the form of 1 point on both the questions I missed (the Stallone question and Haydn); I won 7(4)-4(4) in public and 7(4)-6(5) in private.