The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm Queen is Reina in Spanish. I guess that wasn't close enough to Rainha.
There you go using "sounds like" again.
::Headdesk::
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:27 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm Queen is Reina in Spanish. I guess that wasn't close enough to Rainha.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:27 pm
C'mon, Andy ... you know better than that!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Seriously. "It sounds like ____" is inherently subjective. The only way to figure this FJ! out at all is with a completely ex-recto hunch just because one of the words is almost a cognate.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 pm Seriously. "It sounds like ____" is inherently subjective.
And yet it works for just about everyone but you as a path to solving clues. Think of it like facial recognition. Most people have it, a few don't.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:05 pm I know the names of all the chess pieces in both English and Spanish. But not a single one of those sounded even remotely like any of them.
Um, no. He didn't. You did.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 pm Seriously. "It sounds like ____" is inherently subjective. The only way to figure this FJ! out at all is with a completely ex-recto hunch just because one of the words is almost a cognate.
The fact that you understand that cognates exist disproves the rest of your statement. Rainha is absolutely a cognate of reina.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:53 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:05 pm I know the names of all the chess pieces in both English and Spanish. But not a single one of those sounded even remotely like any of them.
Um, no. He didn't. You did.
And so has just about everyone else that got it right. "I got it because rainha sounded almost vaguely like any word for queen".
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:53 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 pm Seriously. "It sounds like ____" is inherently subjective. The only way to figure this FJ! out at all is with a completely ex-recto hunch just because one of the words is almost a cognate.
The fact that you understand that cognates exist disproves the rest of your statement. Rainha is absolutely a cognate of reina.
False cognates exist too. Is there any reason I should not expect a false cognate?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'd love to get a psychiatrist to opine on this thread.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:53 am The fact that you understand that cognates exist disproves the rest of your statement. Rainha is absolutely a cognate of reina.
False cognates exist too. Is there any reason I should not expect a false cognate?
None whatsoever. Cognates have absolutely no utility in solving clues. You should not take them into consideration.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:27 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:53 am The fact that you understand that cognates exist disproves the rest of your statement. Rainha is absolutely a cognate of reina.
None whatsoever. Cognates have absolutely no utility in solving clues. You should not take them into consideration.
Then why is everyone saying they got this one from recognizing a cognate for queen?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Forget about "sounds like," wouldn't you say reina and rainha look similar? I guess I already know the answer, so never mind...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:28 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:27 am
Then why is everyone saying they got this one from recognizing a cognate for queen?
We're all very lucky when we make wild random guesses. There is no other rational explanation.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

alietr wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 am I'd love to get a psychiatrist to opine on this thread.
Just let me know where to send $$ to contribute to retaining one - although would it be for us or TPH? I only ask because of what they say about the definition of insanity ...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Forget about "sounds like," wouldn't you say reina and rainha look similar? I guess I already know the answer, so never mind...
So is that the only way to solve this?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:33 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Forget about "sounds like," wouldn't you say reina and rainha look similar? I guess I already know the answer, so never mind...
The definitive way would be to know one of those words means "queen" in English. If you don't know that, realizing they're all similar to another word you DO know means "queen" in English seem like the best path. Failing that perhaps you might think, "hey these look a little like the English word 'reign.' Kings and queens both reign, but the 'a' ending points to it being feminine."
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

So if you saw a sign on a building in London that said "theatre," you'd have no clue what might be inside the building?
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:09 pm
So if you saw a sign on a building in London that said "theatre," you'd have no clue what might be inside the building?
That depends. What colour is the theatre?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

British English isn't an entirely different language from what I speak, though.

If I were in Croatia and saw a kazalište (thank you, Google Translate), I'd have no idea what it was.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:04 pm British English isn't an entirely different language from what I speak, though.

If I were in Croatia and saw a kazalište (thank you, Google Translate), I'd have no idea what it was.
As soon as there's a FJ! that requires you to know a random Croatian word with no connection to English or any language commonly taught in U.S. schools, you'll have a legitimate gripe.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:04 pm British English isn't an entirely different language from what I speak, though.
Just as Portuguese, French and Italian, for example, aren't always that different from Spanish, which you claim to have some knowledge of.

So if you saw "cozinha" when in Portugal or "cucina" in Italy (or in a Jeopardy clue), saying either of them out loud - even if you're mispronouncing - it's likely to sound like "cochina." Even in the absence of any other clues, it's most likely going to still mean "kitchen." (Heck, you could even get it from Polish, of all things: kuchinia).

If you could get past this block that considers educated guessing as immoral, sinful, depraved, illegal, criminal, scandalous, scurrilous, unseemly or just downright unthinkable, that is.