Thursday, June 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, June 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7779, 2018-06-07

CONTESTANTS
Andy Mills, a math instructor from Iowa City, Iowa
Mirza Gluhic, a transcriber from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Michelle Rosen, a Ph.D. candidate from Cambridge, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $18,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. We're back on track. Can we do it two days in a row, have all three contestants come up with the correct response in Final Jeopardy!? Let's start finding out. Good luck, players. Jeopardy! Round is now underway. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PHOTOGRAPHY (4/5)
IT'S HYPHENATED (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AMERICAN DOGS (4/5)
DECADES OF NO. 1-RATED TV SHOWS (2/5)
ASIAN FOOD (5/5)
I'LL HAVE SECONDS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mirza: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Michelle: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Andy: 5 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andy found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Michelle had $2,000, Mirza had $200, and Andy was at $800. Andy wagered $1,000.

IT'S HYPHENATED $800: This city is home to Hanesbrands, the Hanes Mall & Wake Forest University
(Andy: Don't know.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Michelle: $2,000
Mirza: $1,200
Andy: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Andy Mills is a math instructor from Iowa. Andy, you're also a fourth-generation Jeopardy! fan?

Andy: That's right.

Alex: Take me back.

Andy: So my grandmother and my mother, growing up, used to watch Jeopardy! every day with my great-grandmother. And when she ended up in a nursing home, her one demand was that it have a TV, so that she could continue to watch every day.

Alex: That's a great story.

Alex: Mirza... Gluhic?

Mirza: Mm-hm.

Alex: From Toronto. What's this about the Zombie Walk having a bad effect on an important occasion for you?

Mirza: Well, it wasn't particularly bad. It was just happening to coincide with passing by our venue when we were getting married.

Alex: And so what exactly is the Zombie Walk in Toronto?

Mirza: It's a community event where people dress up as zombies and have a walk.

Alex: That's a little better than having a zombie element to your wedding.

Mirza: That's true.

Alex: Yeah, okay.

Alex: Michelle Rosen is a Ph.D. candidate from Massachusetts, who is the outreach coordinator for your lab. What does that mean?

Michelle: So that means that I organize our lab's participation in a lot of local events in the area, at science fairs and things. So we get to take our really, really cool robots out of the lab and actually put them in front of the public, and talk to them about--

Alex: Do you work with drones at all?

Michelle: Some people call what we do drones, but I don't necessarily. But yes.

Alex: What do you call them?

Michelle: Flapping wing micro air vehicles.

Alex: Of course. All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I'LL HAVE SECONDS $1000: The second king of England with this name was on the throne when the Crusaders took Jerusalem in 1099
(Mirza: Who is Henry?)
(Andy: Who is Richard?)
(Michelle: Who is Edward?)

PHOTOGRAPHY $400: Grains of this metal on film react with a developing solution to create a black & white negative
(Mirza: What is silver nitrate?)
(Alex: We were going for "this metal". Silver nitrate is not a metal.) [Alex does not give the correct response either here or later in the game.]

AMERICAN DOGS $600: Developed in Wisconsin & seen here, the American water this is a rare breed; there are only about 3,000 in the world

DECADES OF NO. 1-RATED TV SHOWS $600: In 2016 "Sunday Night Football" blitzed the competition as Cris Collinsworth & this play-by-play man led the league

DECADES OF NO. 1-RATED TV SHOWS $800: Come & listen to my story 'bout a sitcom named this, No. 1 in 1963

DECADES OF NO. 1-RATED TV SHOWS $1000: This actor & his "All in the Family" character Archie Bunker ruled from 1972 to '76

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Mirza: $5,200
Michelle: $2,800
Andy: -$1,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, June 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PRINCE (4/5) (Alex: Today would've been his 60th birthday.)
I LAKE IT LIKE THAT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DICKENS BOOK BY CHARACTERS (3/5)
THE CIVIL WAR (4/5)
BRAND AWARENESS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"DISS"ING YOU (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mirza: 16 R (including 3 rebounds), 1 W
Michelle: 4 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Andy: 2 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michelle snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Michelle had $4,000, Mirza had $8,400, and Andy was at $200. Michelle wagered $2,000.

I LAKE IT LIKE THAT $1600: Convention-al wisdom says this crescent-shaped lake was formed by the Rhone River's natural damming

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Andy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Michelle had $6,400, Mirza had $21,200, and Andy had a deficit with -$600. Andy wagered $2,000.

BRAND AWARENESS $2000: This clothing store chain once has "Travel & Safari Clothing Co." as part of its name
(Andy: What is Eddie Bauer?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"DISS"ING YOU $1600: Wasteful indulgence in pleasure

I LAKE IT LIKE THAT $1200: You can't see land in any direction as you drive 8 of the 24 miles of causeway over this Louisiana lake

DICKENS BOOK BY CHARACTERS $1200: Mr. Bumble

DICKENS BOOK BY CHARACTERS $1600: Mr. & Mrs. Micawber

THE CIVIL WAR $2000: A critical 1864 fight was known as the Battle of this, for the Virginia region of dense thickets where it was fought

PRINCE $1200: (Jimmy of Clue Crew presents from Paisley Park in Chanhassen, Minnesota.) One of the first videos by a black artist to get regular airplay on MTV was this one, inspired by a pink Mercury Marauder; Prince was vaulted into superstardom as the song rode up the charts
(Mirza: What is "Little Deuce Coupe"?)

BRAND AWARENESS $1600: The name of a hotel in Monterey became this brand name that first appeared on canned peaches in 1892

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Mirza: $21,200 (lock game)
Michelle: $6,400
Andy: -$2,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDIEVAL SCIENCE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Mirza: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $8,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Michelle: You've no hope of catching up... unless Mirza does something stupid. So risk as much as $6,399; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
13th c. Emperor Frederick II's "De Arte Venandi cum Avibus" was the first work written about this -ology

FINAL SCORES
Michelle: $6,400 - $6,399 = $1 (What is Biology?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Mirza: $21,200 + $7,000 = $28,200 (What is ornithology?) (New champion: $28,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Mirza: $21,200, 27 R, 3 W
Michelle: $6,000, 11 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Andy: $400, 7 R, 7 W (including 2 DDs)
Combined Coryat: $27,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Mirza: 28/58 = .483
Michelle: 11/59 = .186
Andy: 7/60 = .117
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ASIAN FOOD $200: Traditionally, this Chinese dish contains shredded pork, stir-fried veggies & egg, served with thin pancakes
(Andy: What is egg foo young?)

ASIAN FOOD $800: It's the Bangkok favorite seen here

IT'S HYPHENATED $200: Alliterative type of bus seen here: hop on!

IT'S HYPHENATED $600: An old fogey, or the object seen here

IT'S HYPHENATED $1000: Steer clear of the creature seen here, the Portuguese this

PHOTOGRAPHY $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents an early photograph on the monitor.) Joseph Nicéphore Niépce created one of the first photos via a process he called heliography, in which 8 hours of exposure to this illumination created the image on the pewter plate

AMERICAN DOGS $200: The breed here didn't originate Down Under; it was called the California this before it was the Australian this

AMERICAN DOGS $1000: George Washington seems to also be the father of the American this breed, with two animals in its name
(Andy: What is a beagle?)

DECADES OF NO. 1-RATED TV SHOWS $200: So what's the deal with this stand-up comic having the No. 1 show in 1998? Guess he won the contest after all!
(Michelle: Who is Drew Carey?)

THE CIVIL WAR $800: In August 1862 the Yanks got beaten near this Virginia creek for the second time in a little over a year
(Michelle: What is Manassas?)
(Alex: [*] is the name of the creek. Manassas is the name given to the battles by the Confederacy.)

THE CIVIL WAR $1600: An 1865 photo shows the extent of destruction in this capital

PRINCE $400: (Jimmy of Clue Crew presents from Paisley Park in Chanhassen, Minnesota.) Prince will forever be associated with this: a song, an album & a movie that won an Oscar & 2 Grammys
(Andy: What is purple?)

PRINCE $1600: As a songwriter, Prince had the top 2 spots on the Billboard chart in 1986 when "Kiss" was No. 1 & this Bangles hit was 2
(Andy: What is "Walk Like An Egyptian"?)

PRINCE $2000: (Jimmy of Clue Crew presents from Paisley Park in Chanhassen, Minnesota.) The threat of nuclear war inspired Prince to write the lyrics, "Everybody's got a bomb, we could all die any day", but as this song also reminds us, "Life is just a party, and parties weren't meant to last"

BRAND AWARENESS $400: The German word for water, Wasser, gives us part of this petroleum jelly brand name
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Winston-Salem
William
silver
the American water spaniel
Al Michaels
The Beverly Hillbillies
Carroll O'Connor
Lake Geneva
Banana Republic
dissipation
Pontchartrain
Oliver Twist
David Copperfield
the Battle of the Wilderness
"Little Red Corvette"
Del Monte
ornithology
moo shu
pad thai
a double-decker
a stick-in-the-mud
man-of-war
sunlight
a shepherd
a foxhound
Jerry Seinfeld
Bull Run
Richmond
"Purple Rain"
"Manic Monday"
party like it's "1999"
Vaseline
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDIEVAL SCIENCE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
13th c. emperor Frederick II’s “De Arte Venandi cum Avibus” was the first work written about this -ology

Michelle Rosen: 6400-6399=1
Mirza Gluhic: 21200+7000=28200 (New Champ)
Andy Mills: minus 2600

Correct response:
Spoiler
ornithology (Michelle – biology)

Daily Doubles
Andy: 800-1000
Michelle: 4000+2000
Andy: minus 600-2000

Coryats
Michelle: 6000
Mirza: 21200
Andy: 400

Combined: 27,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Michelle: 2800
Mirza: 5200
Andy: minus 1000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The players were correct to leave the TV for last. +2400 for many of us at the 4th podium.

Nice tribute to Prince with the category and the category itself with a purple background. Too bad the players could not figure out what to do with the car clue in it.

The FJ! clue had me struggling with what little Latin I could recognize. I tried a brainstorm of -ologies and thought about matching Michelle with the simple biology. I only got as far as Avibus leading me to think animal and wrote zoology. Nice solve and opening pay day by Mirza.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:21 am The players were correct to leave the TV for last. +2400 for many of us at the 4th podium.

Nice tribute to Prince with the category and the category itself with a purple background. Too bad the players could not figure out what to do with the car clue in it.

The FJ! clue had me struggling with what little Latin I could recognize. I tried a brainstorm of -ologies and thought about matching Michelle with the simple biology. I only got as far as Avibus leading me to think animal and wrote zoology. Nice solve and opening pay day by Mirza.
I like that Jeopardy has categories like the TV category that is easy money for us older folks. But the flip side is feeling even older. My first lunch box had the Beverly Hillbillies! Seinfeld had to be picked up on a rebound? And Carroll O'Connor is a stand and stare? Plus, it was enough to get Alex to bring out the old chestnut of "you're too young ..." Sigh.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I took Avibus to bird to ornithology. 3/4!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Anyone want to set an o/u on the number of Prince fans who will get Upset Online that the show accepted "Party Like It's 1999" because they don't know the show's rules?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:20 pm Anyone want to set an o/u on the number of Prince fans who will get Upset Online that the show accepted "Party Like It's 1999" because they don't know the show's rules?
lim x^2
x -> +inf
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Based on the clue, I was expecting something outdated, so I went with... Phrenology.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I was afraid we'd run out of time before we got to my free $3000, err, the TV category. OK, no one got Al Michaels, no football fans, fine. But Carroll O'Connor and Beverly Hillbillies, TSes?

Purple? Was that nerves/'strange things happen under the lights', or did that guy really go through life thinking it was just named Purple?

Hmm, 'The art of...Latin with Latin? Avi-...bird? Ornithology sounds good. Thanks for not giving us the title in english, Alex. That's 10 seconds of Googling I'll never get back.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:20 pm Anyone want to set an o/u on the number of Prince fans who will get Upset Online that the show accepted "Party Like It's 1999" because they don't know the show's rules?
Is this still a thing? I don't follow stuff on social media. I mean, if they can learn proper wagering, like you think they can, surely they can learn the rules and not overreact to nonsense?

OK maybe not.
Cekshoemaker
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Cekshoemaker »

Is it just me or did Alex not give the answer to the "this metal"/"silver nitrate" question?? He just corrected him never gave the real response.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Cekshoemaker wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:35 pm Is it just me or did Alex not give the answer to the "this metal"/"silver nitrate" question?? He just corrected him never gave the real response.
He did not.

For FJ, I just wagged meteorology. I had nothing.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For some reason, my DVR didn't record today's show. Schedule shows no pre-emption, either.

Didn't recognize a thing in Asian Food. HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS?!

Also can't say I've heard of an Australian Shepherd.

Wasser -> vaseline was too opaque for me, and I just used Vaseline earlier today.

Lach Trash: The Beverly Hillbillies, Lake Pontchartrain. Also got the Banana Republic DD.

Saw no TOM whatsoever in this FJ!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:01 pm Wasser -> vaseline was too opaque for me, and I just used Vaseline earlier today.
Damn cognates...
pretzelgreg
Contributor

Post by pretzelgreg »

Am I being pedantic when I say that Mirza Gluhic clearly saying "Man of War" is an incorrect answer for the jellyfish that is the Portuguese Man O' War?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

pretzelgreg wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:03 pm Am I being pedantic when I say that Mirza Gluhic clearly saying "Man of War" is an incorrect answer for the jellyfish that is the Portuguese Man O' War?
Dictionaries also give man-of-war as a correct usage.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

econgator wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 pm
For FJ, I just wagged meteorology. I had nothing.
I talked myself out of the bird connection and into meteorology. :roll:
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:50 pm I was afraid we'd run out of time before we got to my free $3000, err, the TV category. OK, no one got Al Michaels, no football fans, fine. But Carroll O'Connor and Beverly Hillbillies, TSes?

Purple? Was that nerves/'strange things happen under the lights', or did that guy really go through life thinking it was just named Purple?

Hmm, 'The art of...Latin with Latin? Avi-...bird? Ornithology sounds good. Thanks for not giving us the title in english, Alex. That's 10 seconds of Googling I'll never get back.
Is this still a thing? I don't follow stuff on social media. I mean, if they can learn proper wagering, like you think they can, surely they can learn the rules and not overreact to nonsense?

OK maybe not.
Just because the show has a rule/precedent on accepting this as correct doesn't make it right. Titles should be exact. I know that many folks (and the J! judges) disagree with me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

In the "DISS"ING YOU category, SOMEONE WHO DIFFERS FROM ORTHODOX OPINION. They accepted "dissenter." I assume they were also prepared to accept "dissident."

On Michelle's DD I wasn't sure whether the Rhone connected with Lake Lucerne or Lake Geneva or both. I leaned toward Geneva but wasn't sure. Then I noticed that the clue referred to "convention-al wisdom" and knew I was right.

I knew the avibus in FJ referred to birds, so I went with ornithology and hoped for the best.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Knew it was the science of birds.

Completely forgot what the science of birds was called.

Went with "zoology" and hoped that would be enough. (I am not giving myself credit.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.