LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by teapot37 »

The Stallone question COMPLETELY missed me. The Expendables franchise is not my cup of tea, so I never saw any of them.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm puzzled that my opponent gave me 3 for Gulf of Tonkin. I know American History isn't my best category, but I thought that one would easily be at least a 90% get.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I only got to the expendables by thinking that Barney Ross sounded English and thinking that was Jason Statham's name in the Transporter series, and knowing he was in Fast and Furious and Expendables. But, I haven't seen either of those franchises so no idea on character name and also thought asking for those characters was somewhat obscure. Reread the question, which referred to a mercenary leader, not just mercenary. Knew that Stallone and Arnold were the leaders in the Expendables, and only Sly has been in 2 successful multiple film roles.

I won 7(4)-1(1) despite missing the sports category (my best) by getting hung up on the ball hiding part of the clue and going with water polo even though I know that water polo is timed and a 2mm increase in ball diameter would have almost no impact. Briefly considered ping pong early on in my thinking and never came back to it.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:57 am Knew that Stallone and Arnold were the leaders in the Expendables, and only Sly has been in 2 successful multiple film roles.
You got lucky there: Terminator and Conan each have 3+ movies.

I completely missed the movie question - my tolerance for comic book movies is gone, so I figured I missed several people in those movies over the last decade.

My almost-complete guess of Haydn won me the private rundle match... Good match Teapot37 - I look forward to Rocky II. (though I guess that makes me Apollo Creed.... Rather unlikely)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:09 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:46 pm The President is Missing, a novel by James Patterson and Bill Clinton, is now in stores.
And within arm's reach of my chair that faces the TV. I was curious about why Patterson is so popular, so I figured this would be a good place to see his work for the first time. 500 pages and change with 128 chapters gave a laugh as I flipped through the book. It was a long wait from posting about this more than a year ago to it finally being released.

Opus: Too funny with the waffling line.

Whether it turns out to be a marketing risk or publicity ploy it's still the kind of thing J! might use and that is what matters. Has anyone considered Pb is lead? ;)
Quite the pre-call here on the plumbing/lead question.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:57 am I won 7(4)-1(1) despite missing the sports category (my best) by getting hung up on the ball hiding part of the clue and going with water polo even though I know that water polo is timed and a 2mm increase in ball diameter would have almost no impact. Briefly considered ping pong early on in my thinking and never came back to it.
Also went with water polo, even though 2mm made no sense at all

My streak of lucky guesses ended with a miss on the Haydn / Brahms toss-up. Yes, I now realize that Brahms came about 100 years later :oops:

At least that miss didn't influence the outcome of either match. I'll take the tie with the 1st place player (now 2nd place)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:57 am I won 7(4)-1(1) despite missing the sports category (my best) by getting hung up on the ball hiding part of the clue and going with water polo even though I know that water polo is timed and a 2mm increase in ball diameter would have almost no impact. Briefly considered ping pong early on in my thinking and never came back to it.
When I first read the question my thought was "ok, it must be a game with a small ball otherwise 2mm wouldn't make an appreciable difference" then proceeded to consider volleyball and beach volleyball. Only when I remembered my initial "small ball" thought did ping pong dawn on me.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

MD6 Recap
Opponent: PoserinaJ
Result: W 7(5) - 2(3) :mrgreen:
Record: 3-0-3
Rundle Rank: 2

Question 1: Pictured here is a typical scene from what currently running television series, a reboot of a series that ran from 1985 to 1992?
Thought Process: Oh no. I don't know this one. I'll come back to it. *comes back at the end* I still don't know it. It looks like he's working on a bomb. I think 24 was later than that, but I know it was rebooted, and I don't have much time left.
Answer: 24
Confidence Level: 10%
Defense: He's pretty good at television, though not his best. I'll go with a 1 here
Result: :( (+0)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+1)

Question 2: A set of six string quartets by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart composed between December 1782 and January 1785, and published in September of that year, were dedicated to—and are commonly named after—what other composer?
Thought Process: I know that Mozart's mentor was Haydn. I'm not necessarily super familiar with these quartets, but I do know Haydn was also the father of the quartet. Seems like as good of a guess as any!
Answer: Haydn
Confidence Level: 80%
Defense: He's not great at Classical Music. This one is a 2.
Result: :mrgreen: (+3)
Opponent Result: :( (+0)

Question 3: The resolution by the US Congress in August 1964 that authorized President Johnson to escalate the Vietnam War is named after what body of water?
Thought Process: No thought required here. Easy and straightforward
Answer: Gulf of Tonkin
Confidence Level: 100%
Defense: No way he doesn't know this. 0
Result: :mrgreen: (+0)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+0)

Question 4: The name for what vocation could be considered outdated, as its namesake chemical element (from Latin) has largely been banned for use by its tradesmen for decades?
Thought Process: Banned element is going to be lead whose Latin name is Plumbum.
Answer: Plumber
Defense: I thought this was also pretty easy, and he's good at science. Here's the other 1
Result: :mrgreen: (+1)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+1)

Question 5: After the 2000 Sydney Olympics, various rule changes instituted by what sport's governing body (to improve the spectating experience) included increasing the ball diameter by 2mm, reducing a game from 21 to 11 points, and preventing the act of ball-hiding?
Thought Process: I recently heard the increase in ball size on Brent Bollmeier's great podcast. I know in the Olympics they play table tennis games to 11 (though it's 5 games to a match). Ball-hiding is also something that could happen in table tennis.
Answer: Table Tennis
Defense: He's not great at Games/Sport, but he's worse at Film, so here's the 2.
Result: :mrgreen: (+1)

Question 6: The actor who portrayed fictional mercenary leader Barney Ross in a three-film series during the 2010s has portrayed two other characters in successful multi-film franchises with at least three installments. Give the name of either of these other two characters.
Thought Process: Who's someone who's been in two long franchises? Stallone is the first one who comes to mind there. OH THIS COULD BE HIS CHARACTER IN THE EXPENDABLES!!!!
Answer: Rocky
Confidence Level: 85%
Defense: He's not great at Film. Here's the 3.
Result: :mrgreen: (+2)
Last edited by Wpwells on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

boson wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:25 am
classicroadster wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:57 am Knew that Stallone and Arnold were the leaders in the Expendables, and only Sly has been in 2 successful multiple film roles.
You got lucky there: Terminator and Conan each have 3+ movies.
I realized Arnold was in Terminator (but didn't remember Conan), but the fact that the question wanted 2 successful roles for me Rocky and Rambo > Terminator and Conan in terms of success.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wpwells wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:47 pm and I don't have much time left.
??

Unless it's nearing the submission deadline/you have to go somewhere, you have all the time you need.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:57 am I only got to the expendables by thinking that Barney Ross sounded English and thinking that was Jason Statham's name in the Transporter series, and knowing he was in Fast and Furious and Expendables. But, I haven't seen either of those franchises so no idea on character name and also thought asking for those characters was somewhat obscure.
The only Jason Statham character I can name from a franchise is Chev Chelios, but there were only two Crank movies. Playing along, I somehow knew that was someone from The Expendables, even though I've never seen any of those movies. Maybe it's just that it was the only 3-part franchise from the 2010s that had people from lots of other movies in it. I thought of Rocky immediately, then it took me about 30 seconds to remember Rambo -- fortunately, I forgot that Arnold was in the third Terminator movie (because I was thinking of the fourth one as the third one) and never thought of Conan (who Arnold seems to have only played in two movies that have been released -- he wasn't named Conan in Red Sonja, so that would be tricky).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I misunderstood the question with "adjective form" and "noun form" as alluding to two different words and asking for the latter. Eventually I came up with "infinitesimal" for the adjective, and then I tried to make it into a noun for my answer. I figured if a final A was good enough for the other mathematical concepts of "parabola" and "hyperbola," "infinitesima" could work. I imagine my lucky break of its being accepted (albeit one on which the match didn't hinge) sprang from the benefit of the doubt between "he meant to say this" and "he accidentally left the L off the end."
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I’m currently sporting a 179 (no, not a typo) QvH. I can absolutely relate to all the posts about regression from last season.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Big fat ZERO on MD7. I think that's a first in 5 seasons of LL. I was just celebrating a streak of lucky guesses, so I guess I was asking for a smackdown.

Quick recap. First guess was Webster but the whole "secondmost but not firstmost" clue got me thinking oh, he means Strunk and White, so it has to be White, right? wrong

Luanda - OK capital of Angola, but Zaire - well that's the Congo. Eeeny meeny miney Congo - wrong

Low density polyethylene... environmental concerns - it's gotta be sytrofoam, but I think he's looking for a brand name? I'm tired - it's styrofoam - wrong. "adheres to itself" - ohhhh. Incidentally, NYC just banned styrofoam again

The Oscars question! I should know this - I had an animated film question in my Oscars TD a while back - but really I've got NFC - I'm gonna go with Toy Story but I'm pretty sure that's Pixar. TFW when you know you should know something you used to know, but you just don't know it anymore <sigh>

Intangible - wrong. Was it really that obvious: "less than finite"? in-finite-simal?

"Fantasy Gifts"? No idea, so I went with (never mind what I went with)

So I'll take my ZERO and try to parse the clues better and maybe not submit so late in the day
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:45 am Big fat ZERO on MD7. I think that's a first in 5 seasons of LL. I was just celebrating a streak of lucky guesses, so I guess I was asking for a smackdown.
I was close, but I did manage to get Webster. Thankfully, my opponent assigned me a 3 for that one, so I managed a 3(1)-2(2) win (could've had my first Buckner if my opponent had also got the 0-pointer).

My other bad guesses were: some random African country, irrational, Ice Age (Toy Story surprised me as a MCWA, considering we were given 2002), Sharper Image and bitter clinger for my BWA attempt on the Saran Wrap question.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Luckily, my map-of-the-world shower curtain has the province of Cabinda labeled separately (since it's an exclave), which made me look up what it was.

I was waffling between Hammacher Schlemmer and Sharper Image for Q6. I don't know if Nieman Marcus would have ever come to me.

This has been the best start I've ever had, and the longest winning streak I've pulled off in A (I had a 12-game streak at the tail end of my rookie season and the start of my second one, and I had 6 in a row once in A over two seasons). I hope I can keep it up.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Shrek saved me from my first 0(0) and I also went with Sharper Image over Hammacher Schlemmer. In past Decembers I'm sure I've seen stories or talk show mentions about the ritzy items in Nieman Marcus while in June I did not have it on the radar.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This season has been brutal for me so far. I currently sit at 15 TCA and have lost out on quite a few guesses, including picking Dewey over Webster yesterday. Yet somehow I have a 1-2-4 record and am in 11th place in my rundle, which seems lucky even for being in D.

And I was able to lock in Angola since I knew Cabinda, but I am still surprised that that question played so hard given that its capital was mentioned.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Very lucky yesterday with what I will call a Buckner tie, 6(3)-6(5). Opponent only missed Neiman Marcus, while my opponent thought Webster would be hard enough for me to give me a 3.

This leads to an interesting question. I Smithed the National Spelling Bee One Day in April. With that knowledge, most LLamas would slap a 0 on that question. Would it be allowable to do a search on an opponent on Match Day to get a better feel for defense?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

badgerfellow wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:59 am Would it be allowable to do a search on an opponent on Match Day to get a better feel for defense?
With the usual caveats, it is allowable.