Wednesday, June 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:06 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:37 am
I don't think of cannons as guns. They are, obviously, but I don't associate the term with items that large.
So, The Guns of Navarone were just rifles? :D
Maybe AFRET can verify this, but my 'Nam veteran college buddies told of Basic Training - if you called your rifle a gun, you had to stand (someplace public, can't remember if it was in front of the formation or at sentry?) and repeatedly point at your weapon and your private parts while reciting loudly -
Sorry, can neither confirm nor deny based on personal experience. I've seen the same clips and references in pop culture and have "heard the stories," but didn't experience it personally in USAF training in 1972. We weren't issued personal weapons and didn't have to carry them around. All of our weapons training took place at the range, and we received the weapons there and left them there when we departed. I don't remember any controversy about "gun" vs "weapon" vs "rifle" (or pistol), but I do remember being just from usage that the instructor staff always referred to firearms as "weapons" and it stuck by osmosis -- to this day. Navy, Marines, Army -- could be a very different story, but I've only heard the same references that everyone else seems to have.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nothing came to me on FJ and went with the pawn.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:00 am
A drop of golden sun wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:32 am 2. The clue said it was a goof to have an eclipse occur during a new moon instead of during a full moon in some book--WRONG! It was NOT a goof. A solar eclipse (unless otherwise specified, "eclipse" usually means a solar eclipse) can ONLY occur during a new moon. If it were a lunar eclipse, then I think the clue may have been OK, but they didn't say it was a lunar eclipse. "Eclipse" generally implies solar eclipse.
I forgot about that one! I remember thinking at the time that Alex really needed to BMS the contestant. "Eclipse" on its own is not a sufficient response when one kind of eclipse REQUIRES a new moon.

The clue appears to be incorrect in any event. At least in the 1907 edition of King Solomon's Mines available at Project Gutenberg. That edition specifies a lunar eclipse at a full moon which is exactly right.

The Wiki article does however say, "In early editions, this was a solar eclipse; Haggard changed it after realising that his description of a solar eclipse was not realistic." So perhaps the first edition specified the full moon but made the eclipse a solar one. This would be the opposite error to the one alleged by the clue.

EDIT: I found a 1901 edition online. It has a full moon on one night and a solar eclipse the following day. So the clue got the error backwards. It should have said "one of these occurs at a FULL moon rather than a NEW moon" rather than vice versa. And the correct response should have been, "What is a SOLAR eclipse?"

I couldn't remember what book the clue referred to, but I remembered the clue being wrong, and anybody who has studied HS Earth & Space Science should have spotted the error in the clue (it was NOT a goof as written). Maybe they should have just scrapped the clue completely. Regardless, it is a major error by the writer of the clue.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:22 pm Nothing came to me on FJ and went with the pawn.
Final Jeopardy! was a gimme...shocked how many people here missed it. In spite of Alex's mispronunciation of "reinha." (If not for that reinha, I would never have gotten it from the Hebrew or Finnish.)
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:06 pm
Maybe AFRET can verify this, but my 'Nam veteran college buddies told of Basic Training - if you called your rifle a gun, you had to stand (someplace public, can't remember if it was in front of the formation or at sentry?) and repeatedly point at your weapon and your private parts while reciting loudly -

"This is my weapon (point to firearm), and This is my Gun (point at your junk) - One is for business, the other for fun" (Repeat for ??? ).

You also were in major deep S**T if you ever put it down and the DI could grab it.
Or as Sergeant Rock told Batman, "never call a rifle a gun. It's a rifle...a weapon...a piece...a sojer's best friend".
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:35 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:22 pm Nothing came to me on FJ and went with the pawn.
Final Jeopardy! was a gimme...shocked how many people here missed it. In spite of Alex's mispronunciation of "reinha." (If not for that reinha, I would never have gotten it from the Hebrew or Finnish.)
*rainha
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My handiwork: