Friday, June 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, June 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Saturnalia »

Tonight I realized that the Chicago song's title can be unpacked as "twenty-five or twenty-six to four" (3:35 or 3:34) and not "twenty-five to four or six to four" (3:35 or 3:54), which is how I'd always understood it, but which doesn't make nearly as much sense. You learn the weirdest things watching Jeopardy.

I think I had my best game ever tonight, with a Coryat right near $40,000, and a few other responses that I was just a second or two behind the contestants in putting together (Milan, Vientiane). Now to replicate that... weekly average is holding steady around $25,000 or a little above.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

47 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: South Dakota, Ulysses, (God is Dead), 25 or 6 to 4

World Capital Anagrams 8-)

Pop Culture Squirrels :D

Italy Before the Romans == "Those Darn Etruscans"

Anyone notice that all wins this week came from the MIDDLE LECTERN?
Douglas Squasoni
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If you want to have some fun with the Chicago tune, check this out:

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Saturnalia wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:37 am Tonight I realized that the Chicago song's title can be unpacked as "twenty-five or twenty-six to four" (3:35 or 3:34) and not "twenty-five to four or six to four" (3:35 or 3:54), which is how I'd always understood it, but which doesn't make nearly as much sense. You learn the weirdest things watching Jeopardy.
Tonight I learned that it’s a reference to a time! I just thought it was a weird jumbling of quasi-related words (like Rainy Day Women 12 & 35), which might explain why I never liked the song. (Don’t @ me.). Maybe now I might like it better?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:59 am
Saturnalia wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:37 am Tonight I realized that the Chicago song's title can be unpacked as "twenty-five or twenty-six to four" (3:35 or 3:34) and not "twenty-five to four or six to four" (3:35 or 3:54), which is how I'd always understood it, but which doesn't make nearly as much sense. You learn the weirdest things watching Jeopardy.
Tonight I learned that it’s a reference to a time! I just thought it was a weird jumbling of quasi-related words (like Rainy Day Women 12 & 35), which might explain why I never liked the song. (Don’t @ me.). Maybe now I might like it better?
Given this, what was the aptly named next song from Chicago to hit the charts?
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:33 am
Does anybody really know what time it is?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Saturnalia wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:03 am
Exactly so.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Does anybody really care?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

harrumph wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:08 pm
Does anybody really care?
About time?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

squarekara wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:14 pm We loved David's unabashed enjoyment of the game. What a great attitude!
We did, too. He deserves to go viral!

I flubbed FJ by going with Peter Rabbit. In retrospect it's obviously not set in a forest, but never thought of Pooh for some reason.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:29 pm How was I supposed to know that was bronze?
Oh, good golly, here we go again. I thought I had learned my lesson, and yet I find myself typing this.

You're NOT "supposed to know." Nobody is SUPPOSED to know. Some people do. Some people don't.

If people were "supposed to know" the answer, it would be a terrible Jeopardy! clue.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

My squirrel pre-call...
Spoiler
Probably would've used it if Marvel found a freaking network for New Warriors already!! /bitter
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:07 pm I flubbed FJ by going with Peter Rabbit. In retrospect it's obviously not set in a forest, but never thought of Pooh for some reason.
Same here. And then the next day I spent my whole bike ride with House at Pooh Corner as an earworm.
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

Instaget FJ, saved me from FJ ignominy for the week.

LT: South Dakota, Vermont, "25 or 6 to 4". I’m not a fan of Chicago, but Terry Kath’s guitar solo on “25 or 6 to 4” is one of the all-time greats.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:32 pm Irony time: today instead of work my company had a “fun day” social event (which I term “Mandatory Fun”) here. (I most likely would have got it even if that name wasn’t in my mind today)
So many takeaways from this notion...
1) another optional way for me to miss this by adding 10 acre petting zoo to my 5 Acre failed attempt to remember 3 Acre from the song when the answer is 100 Acre.

2) Couldn't you guys have gotten Donald Trump over there while he was in Canada for some Petting Zoo therapy and sent him back to us a little less unhinged? Apologies from one Yankee, and you are forgiven for burning down our White House. Now it's just happening virtually.

3) In our country we don't have so many "Mandatory Fun" events, but some workplaces now have Presidentially endorsed "Mandatory Posture of Fealty" during our National Anthem. Sorry if this diminishes your hobby/avocation. I prefer the system at my job where "The Beatings will Continue until Morale Improves". But back on topic before the mods notice ;) ;)

I just now watched the Friday ep and it will be box of shame (maybe my first?) for me off a weird week of gettable FJ's that required better mindcraft. I said Five Acre Wood from the song lyric, and missed it twice - the lyric is Three Acre Wood. I'm surprised the young players had the exposure to the actual tale to get this. It's one of those that skipped my generation and I figured skipped the millenials. I am doomed like Alietr with the earworm for a while, but as a beekeeper, it invades frequently whenever we go to "count all the bees in the hive". :lol:

David - just what the show needs. But he was like the dog that caught the car - I expected a bigger bet on the DD than the $2400 after his deliberate analysis. At least take the lead if there's enough money on the board to recover. It's almost monopoly money is you miss it, and real money if you get it. Disclaimer - I am not a wagering nut, maybe the money on the board suggest a perfect bet, and I think it was the opener for the category, so that's a speed bump.

Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age. I'm still amazed that Homo Sapiens acquired enough Copper or even Gold to be smelting and melting. That crap isn't easy to find!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.