LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by Wpwells »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:52 pm
Wpwells wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:47 pm and I don't have much time left.
??

Unless it's nearing the submission deadline/you have to go somewhere, you have all the time you need.
I personally do a two-minute challenge.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

MD7 Recap
Opponent: GranovskiyB
Result: W 5(3) - 2(3) :mrgreen:
Record: 4-0-3
Rundle Rank: 2

Question 1: The initial volume of The Grammatical Institute of the English Language, which later came to be known as The American Spelling Book and subsequently The Elementary Spelling Book, was the earliest success and possibly the second-most (but definitely not first-most) important work of what pioneering American author and educator?
Thought Process: Oh that has to be Webster. Good thing we don't have to put first names
Answer: Webster
Confidence Level: 90%
Defense: This seems like an easier question that he probably knows. Here's the 1
Result: :mrgreen: (+1)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+1)

Question 2: Luanda, Cabinda, Cuanza Sul, Namibe, and Zaire are among the provinces of what African nation?
Thought Process: Okay, Zaire = DRC. WAIT. Luanda is Angola's capital. Sneaky sneaky, Thorsten...
Answer: Angola
Confidence Level: 90%
Defense: He's good at Geography so here's the other 1

Question 3: What film won the inaugural Academy Award for Best Animated Feature in 2002, and remains today one of only two such Oscar-winners for DreamWorks Animation despite eleven subsequent nominations (the other was Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit)? While the film was extremely successful commercially, its sequels are the studio's highest grossing films.
Thought Process: My obsession with Disney movies helped here. I definitely knew Shrek was the first Academy Award for Best Animated Feature because I've been on that wiki several times. I knew it was DreamWorks and a had several sequels (including Shrek 2 which made a TON of money)
Answer: Shrek
Confidence Level: 100%
Defense: He's bad at film. Here's the 3
Result: :mrgreen: (+3)
Opponent Result: :( (+0)

Question 4: While commonly used in adjective form, what word is, in its noun form, defined mathematically as a variable that approaches 0 as a limit, or a quantity less than any finite quantity but greater than zero?
Thought Process: I was SO SAD! I couldn't pull this one for the life of me. My near-pristine math percentage would have gone down a notch if not for Thorsten scrubbing it from category totals.
Answer: Transcendental
Confidence Level: 0%
Defense: He's great at math, so it was worth it to go with a 0 still even though I didn't know it. Turned out to be a great choice
Result: :( (+0)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+0)

Question 5: The plastic polyvinylidene chloride (PVDC), remarkable for its ability to adhere to itself and its low permeability, was beginning in 1953 best known by what brand name? The brand, which still exists today and is now owned by S. C. Johnson & Son, changed its formula in 2004 from PVDC to ordinary low-density polyethylene due to cost, processing, and environmental concerns.
Thought Process: Question 4 threw me off to the point where I completely missed the stuff about brand names. I'm embarrassed by my answer.
Answer: Glue
Confidence Level: 20%
Defense: Well the 2s are what are left, so here's one of them.

Question 6: "Fantasy gifts" in what American retailer's Christmas Book catalogs have included Yours & Mine Limited Edition Rolls-Royce Dawns, a $20 million submarine, an Arch motorcycle designed by Keanu Reeves, and a live Black Angus bull?
Thought Process: I didn't necessarily think it was right, but to me Christmas catalog Pavlovs to Sears.
Answer: Sears
Confidence Level: 10%
Defense: Here's the other 2.
Last edited by Wpwells on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Started the season with an incredible run of luck, which means the Regression Monster awaits. That monster appeared yesterday in the form of a 7(5)-9(6) loss. The one good thing is that yesterday's game doesn't lead to second-guessing. I flat-out didn't know the answer to the Pokemon Go question and couldn't even come up with a plausible guess (I finally went with "Orcs").
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

MD8 Recap
Opponent: LangeS
Result: W 9(6) - 6(5) :mrgreen:
Record: 5-0-3

Question 1: What musician and 27-time Grammy winner (a record co-holder among living artists) is the leader of the bluegrass music band Union Station?
Thought Process: This is one of those things I've learned from playing a ton of trivia. Alison Krauss is the bluegrass singer who's won a ton of Grammys (and she's pretty great so look her up).
Answer: Krauss
Defense: He's not great at pop music. Looks like this is our 3.

Question 2: What is the name of the mausoleum commissioned in 1632 by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his favorite wife, Arjumand Banu Begum?
Thought Process: Not much to say here. This was just easy.
Answer: Taj Mahal
Defense: An easy question gets a 0
Result: :mrgreen: (+0)

Question 3: Who designed the work of art in the foreground of this photo?
Thought Process: Oh that's the church in Florence! Florence architect = Brunelleschi
Answer: Brunelleschi
Confidence Level: 80%
Defense: This one is tough. Here's a 2
Result: :mrgreen: (+2)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+2)

Question 4: Classico, Montalbano, and Rùfina are among the eight "zones" where what Tuscan red wine is produced?
Thought Process: Here's a slumdog moment. No one in my family drinks much, but my brother is currently in Italy and texted me last week to say he was drinking Chianti in Tuscany.
Answer: Chianti
Defense: Pretty good at Food/Drink + what I don't think is super tough = 1

Question 5: On one side of the standard Canadian two-dollar coin ("toonie") is a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, while on the other side is an image of what carnivore?
Thought Process: I've got some Toonies. I knew this one cold ( :lol: )
Answer: Polar Bear
Defense: This seems like one he'll know. I'll give him the 1

Question 6: Early in the game play of Pokémon Go, players join one of three teams that serve as contingents battling to control Gyms within the Pokémon Go world. Name any one of these three color-coded teams, corresponding to red, blue, and yellow, respectively.
Thought Process: I never played Pokemon Go, but I remembered all three based on friends's posts when it was popular.
Answer: Mystic
Defense: The 2 is what's left...
Last edited by Wpwells on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

After ZERO correct answers on Friday, I redeemed myself with 4 right on Monday but lost anyway to a 9(6)

Reliably, I missed the music and games questions :|
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Wpwells wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:09 am MD8 Recap
Opponent: LangeS
Result: W 9(6) - 6(5) :mrgreen:
Record: 5-0-3

Question 1: What musician and 27-time Grammy winner (a record co-holder among living artists) is the leader of the bluegrass music band Union Station?
Thought Process: This is one of those things I've learned from playing a ton of trivia. Alison Krauss is the bluegrass singer who's won a ton of Grammys (and she's pretty great so look her up).
Answer: Krauss
Defense: He's not great at pop music. Looks like this is our 3.

Question 2: What is the name of the mausoleum commissioned in 1632 by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his favorite wife, Arjumand Banu Begum?
Thought Process: Not much to say here. This was just easy.
Answer: Taj Mahal
Defense: An easy question gets a 0

Question 3: Who designed the work of art in the foreground of this photo?
Thought Process: Oh that's the church in Florence! Florence architect = Brunelleschi
Answer: Brunelleschi
Defense: This one is tough. Here's a 2

Question 4: Classico, Montalbano, and Rùfina are among the eight "zones" where what Tuscan red wine is produced?
Thought Process: Here's a slumdog moment. No one in my family drinks much, but my brother is currently in Italy and texted me last week to say he was drinking Chianti in Tuscany.
Answer: Chianti
Defense: Pretty good at Food/Drink + what I don't think is super tough = 1

Question 5: On one side of the standard Canadian two-dollar coin ("toonie") is a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, while on the other side is an image of what carnivore?
Thought Process: I've got some Toonies. I knew this one cold (:lol:)
Answer: Polar Bear
Defense: This seems like one he'll know. I'll give him the 1

Question 6: Early in the game play of Pokémon Go, players join one of three teams that serve as contingents battling to control Gyms within the Pokémon Go world. Name any one of these three color-coded teams, corresponding to red, blue, and yellow, respectively.
Thought Process: I never played Pokemon Go, but I remembered all three based on friends's posts when it was popular.
Answer: Mystic
Defense: The 2 is what's left...
WPW - Thanks for posting these recaps for us lurkers/vicarious notwannabes. I'm too busy finishing last in the TD's to consider signing up, but it looks like a lot of fun. Good luck!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
clprez

Post by clprez »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:57 am WPW - Thanks for posting these recaps for us lurkers/vicarious notwannabes. I'm too busy finishing last in the TD's to consider signing up, but it looks like a lot of fun. Good luck!
I followed along with LL for a couple of seasons before I joined. There are levels from A-E so that you are grouped with like players. I don't remember the exact numbers but I did very well on questions that had 50-60+ percent correct, so I decided to give it a shot. I've been a middling D rundle player.

If you are referred by a jboarder, you will be put in a league with that jboarder and others so if you are at the same level, you will play against each other. There is also a private jboard rundle that you can join that has players of all levels. Additionally, your rookie season is free, so you can give it a shot before deciding to join. The dues are reasonable, to.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

clprez wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:54 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:57 am WPW - Thanks for posting these recaps for us lurkers/vicarious notwannabes. I'm too busy finishing last in the TD's to consider signing up, but it looks like a lot of fun. Good luck!
I followed along with LL for a couple of seasons before I joined. There are levels from A-E so that you are grouped with like players. I don't remember the exact numbers but I did very well on questions that had 50-60+ percent correct, so I decided to give it a shot. I've been a middling D rundle player.

If you are referred by a jboarder, you will be put in a league with that jboarder and others so if you are at the same level, you will play against each other. There is also a private jboard rundle that you can join that has players of all levels. Additionally, your rookie season is free, so you can give it a shot before deciding to join. The dues are reasonable, to.
I second this. If you are interested ask us for a referral in the off-season. You will fit in just fine!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

clprez wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Thank you (and Kirk!) for the encouragement. I've peeked in at the thread off and on, and looked at the site once. I seem to be near the Mendoza line (I can confidently use euphemisms like that on this site!) but hey, I will learn something and won't make anybody stupider in the process. I'll look closer and figure out the seasons and schedules - I don't want it to be like a dreaded 30 week Bowling league, but in the winter time will be more likely to welcome the diversion. I know that the questions seem to be scary hard, but then I got Saran Wrap, infinitesimal, and Niemann-Marcus (assuming these are correct) while Wpwells got the hard-assed ones. Ya'neverknow.

I'll come back for an invite sometime. I don't care what Rundle I wind up in. My philosophy in athletic events when I move from age group to age group - it doesn't matter who beats me or who I beat - I'm just competing against myself. I've been passed by pregnant women at the finish line in 5K's. My take- they didn't run hard enough for the first 4.8 K! :lol: Just so they ran the race they wanted to, it's all good with me...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Is it just a problem on my end, or have today's matches not been sent out yet? Not that I should care being that I'm dead last in my rundle. :oops:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

georgespelvin wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:32 am Is it just a problem on my end, or have today's matches not been sent out yet? Not that I should care being that I'm dead last in my rundle. :oops:
I don't know if the email for today's match didn't go out, but the link at learnedleague.com is live. At least, I assume it is, I haven't played yet, but the player tracker shows about a dozen people having played already.

Link to today's match: https://learnedleague.com/match.php?77&10
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

MD9 Recap
Opponent: NealB
Result: W 8(5) - 7(5) :mrgreen:
Record: 6-0-3
Rundle Rank: 1(!!!!!)

Question 1: Bill and Hillary Clinton were among the co-founders in 1978 of what corporation, which would finally be dissolved fourteen years later?
Thought Process: Oh cool, this was an instaget.
Answer: Whitewater
Defense: Guessing most people know this one. This is a 0.

Question 2: C. Bechstein, Bösendorfer, and Blüthner are regarded as three of the "Big Four" manufacturers of what item? Other producers have included Érard, Baldwin, Weber, and Nordheimer
Thought Process: Bechstein sounds familiar. That's a piano, right? And the one missing must be Steinway. That makes sense!
Answer: Pianos
Defense: He's not that great at music. I'll give this one a 3.

Question 3: Of the hundreds of species of cactus found in the United States, the largest in physical size—and perhaps most iconic, due to its association with the American Southwest and namesake national park in Arizona—has what name?
Thought Process: Oh cool! I've been to the National Park in question.
Answer: Saguaro
Defense: He's pretty good at science and this science is pretty easy. Here's the first 1

Question 4: Floyd Lawson, Helen Crump, Howard Sprague, Clara Edwards, and Otis Campbell were among the secondary characters in what long-running 1960s television sitcom?
Thought Process: Well, here's the television question I'm going to miss. Wait a second...Floyd the Barber is a character in Andy Griffith. Not sure if that's right, but it's as good a guess as any!
Answer: Andy Griffith Show
Confidence Level: 75%
Defense: He's not great at television, but a television question I know should be considered fairly easy. This is the other 2.

Question 5: What word, the name of small town in the French Seine-Maritime region where its namesake soft cheese is made, is redacted in this image?
Thought Process: Darn...I don't know what the real name of cream cheese is. I'll just cut my losses and take a guess
Answer: Brie
Confidence Level: 25%
Defense: This one is tougher but he's decent at Food/Drink. I'll put the other 2 here.

Question 6: What is the name of the wealthy Baghdadian who, according to legend, discovers the rocs' eggs and the Valley of Diamonds, is buried alive with his deceased wife, and kills the Old Man of the Sea (among numerous other adventures)?
Thought Process: So many giveaways in this one. Arabian character who adventures in the sea? Sinbad. Discovers rocs' eggs? Sinbad (that's quiz bowl fodder). Great question, though!
Answer: Sinbad
Defense: The 1 is what's left, and it's pretty easy.
Last edited by Wpwells on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

georgespelvin wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:32 am Is it just a problem on my end, or have today's matches not been sent out yet? Not that I should care being that I'm dead last in my rundle. :oops:
The questions are usually live around 11PM Pacific while the email sends at 1AM Pacific if it's not Monday, when it goes out shortly after 11PM

So it's probably an email thingy.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Well, I backed into a correct answer on PIANOS - I couldn't come up with any category of product that made sense, figured it's not food because we already have that NEUFCHATEL question. Thought, hmmm, maybe it's a musical instrument - what's the missing manufacturer in this list? Of course, I started down the path that this has to begin with a "B" - before landing on piano as a WAG

I spent so much time scratching my head on that one, that I ended up backing out of SINBAD and going with Ali Baba, who was apparently not at all wealthy. Not familiar with Sinbad's exploits but sea-->sailor-->Sinbad should have been enough. Gave up the tie and lost 7(4)-9(6) to Elendilpickle
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Baldwin was the in for me on the pianos question. I am assuming Steinway is the other major manufacturer.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I ran the table yesterday and I was very happy to see a win rather than a tie! The only one I wasn't sure about was the piano question. Baldwin was the only name I was certain was a piano manufacturer.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Got a somewhat fortunate 3(2) - 0(F) win yesterday, getting only Whitewater and piano (from Baldwin mostly, after getting a little thrown by the weber/grill combo) and thinking the questions were good ones for my opponent. I couldn't pull any cactus names out of my brain from the recent TD we did, and being from the northeast I'm not at all familiar with lesser known national parks in the southwest.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Saw this day before the saguaro question. Would have still gotten it, but I chuckled anyway:
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This season continues to be a nightmare, as I had a double doughnut yesterday. Whitewater and Sinbad were both forehead slappers, but I had no chance on the others.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

After the past two seasons of defensive excellence, I've regressed to the mean with a DE right around .500 this season. Combined with a high CAA, this results in a mid-Rundle standing despite being in contention for a Maso. Rundle in the Jundle has also become a very competitive place. Teapot has his accustomed spot atop the standings, but I'm trying to claw my way up (tough going, though)