Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7782, 2018-06-12

CONTESTANTS
Jason Downer, a real estate agent from Anthem, Arizona
Rebecca Heide, an economist from Washington, D.C.
Catherine Ono, a software developer from Santa Clara, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $23,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. As you can see, our champion celebrating her win yesterday with a new pendant today. Very attractive. Rebecca and Jason, welcome and good luck. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TITLE PEOPLE: HOW NOVEL! (4/5)
I NEED A DRINK (5/5)
MEDICAL WORDS & PHRASES (5/5)
THE KISS CAM (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HQ TRIVIA (5/5)
THE "IRS" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rebecca: 16 R, 0 W
Catherine: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jason: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rebecca: $4,000
Catherine: $1,400
Jason: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jason Downer is from Anthem, Arizona. And Jason, at a sad event--your grandfather's funeral--

Jason: Right.

Alex: Something important happened.

Jason: Actually, it was my wife's grandfather, but the family had kind of adopted me in.

Alex: Ah.

Jason: And they had decided that Jason needed to meet Briana, but they couldn't get us together, and decided that the funeral would be perfect. So her grandmother set us up at her grandfather's funeral, and...

Alex: Has it worked out?

Jason: It has been absolutely the best thing that's ever happened to me. We gave each other a pity date, and so we started out--well, we went to Goodwill. She bought me a tie. And we wound up eventually, eight hours later, at the Phoenix Symphony for Rachmaninoff's 2nd.

Alex: Good for you.

Jason: And it's been amazing.

Alex: Wonderful first date.

Alex: Rebecca Heide from Washington, D.C. What's this about your dog?

Rebecca: Yes, so I trained my dog to recognize the Jeopardy! theme music.

Alex: How do you train a dog to do that?

Rebecca: Well, it was by accident. She was, when I first got her, very energetic and wanted a lot of attention. So to distract her during the show so I could watch, she would get a treat. And so now, she hears the music, and she thinks, "It's time for me to have a bone."

Alex: You and Pavlov using the same formula.

Alex: Catherine Ono is our champion. You do Irish social dancing, right?

Catherine: Yes. I do both set and ceili dancing. It mostly means I spend a lot of time in bars, jumping and twirling around.

Alex: That's why you went to that category a little while ago.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Catherine found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Catherine had $4,200, Rebecca had $8,800, and Jason was at $2,000. Catherine made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,200.

THE KISS CAM $1000: After kissing Debbie Reynolds goodnight, Gene Kelly is elated & begins doing this, the film's title

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TITLE PEOPLE: HOW NOVEL! $1000: In a Henry James novel, "What" this girl "Knew" includes that her new stepmother & stepfather are having an affair

THE "IRS" $1000: In legalese, they're legatees

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rebecca: $8,800
Catherine: $8,400
Jason: $2,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CLASSICAL FAVORITES (4/5)
THE FOUR SEASONS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
1812 OVERTURES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE BLUE DANUBE (3/5)
FANFARE FOR THE COMMON MAN (3/5)
NEW WORLD SYMPHONY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Catherine: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Rebecca: 5 R, 1 W
Jason: 8 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Catherine had $10,400, Rebecca had $8,800, and Jason was at $3,200. Jason wagered $2,000.

1812 OVERTURES $1600: In 1807 Congress passed this act forbidding exports to Britain
(Jason: What is the War Act?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jason who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Catherine had $12,800, Rebecca had $9,600, and Jason was at $4,400. Jason wagered $1,000.

THE FOUR SEASONS $1200: It's the 7-word first line of "Richard III"
(Jason: Winter?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE BLUE DANUBE $1200: Currents in the river form whirlpools called this, also the name of a German pastry

THE BLUE DANUBE $2000: The Europa Canal links the Danube & the Main; as the Main is a tributary of this, that creates a 2,200-mile waterway

THE FOUR SEASONS $1600: Proverbially, one of these birds "doesn't make a summer"

FANFARE FOR THE COMMON MAN $800: James Agee & Walker Evans' book dignifying tenant farmers is ironically titled "Let Us Now Praise" these

FANFARE FOR THE COMMON MAN $1200: Henry Wallace's term as this, 1941-1945, is perhaps best remembered for his "Century of the Common Man" speech

CLASSICAL FAVORITES $1600: His symphonic poem "Also Sprach Zarathustra" is an homage to Nietzsche
(Jason: Who is Wagner?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Catherine: $18,800
Rebecca: $11,600
Jason: $7,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN'S LIT

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Catherine: Wager $4,401 to cover Rebecca, but no more than $4,799 so as not to fall behind Jason's doubled score.
Rebecca: You have the hope of surpassing Catherine if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,201 to force Catherine to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Jason.
Jason: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2017 the Maine farm & barn that inspired this classic 1952 novel were put up for sale

FINAL SCORES
Jason: $7,000 + $0 = $7,000 (What is Charlotte's Web?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Rebecca: $11,600 + $7,201 = $18,801 (What is Charlotte's Web?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Catherine: $18,800 + $4,401 = $23,201 (What is Charlotte's Web?) (2-day champion: $46,402)
(Alex: [To Jason] E.B. White's novel.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Catherine: $15,600, 17 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Rebecca: $11,600, 21 R, 1 W
Jason: $10,000, 12 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Combined Coryat: $37,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Rebecca: 22/58 = .379
Catherine: 18/59 = .305
Jason: 13/60 = .217
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HQ TRIVIA $400: Also known as the 4-cylinder tower, the headquarters for this car company was built near Munich's Olympic Park

I NEED A DRINK $600: In honor of the Kentucky Derby, I'd like this drink

1812 OVERTURES $400: After this Francophile became president in 1801, relations with Britain began the slide that led to the War of 1812
(Jason: Who is Napoleon?)

FANFARE FOR THE COMMON MAN $1600: Thomas Gray wrote that maybe a country churchyard holds "some mute inglorious" this British epic poet
(Rebecca: What is Chaucer?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Singin' in the Rain
Maisie
heirs
the Embargo Act
"Now is the winter of our discontent"
strudels
the Rhine River
one swallow
Let Us Now Praise Famous Men
vice president
Richard Strauss
Charlotte's Web
BMW
a mint julep
(Thomas) Jefferson
(John) Milton
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN’S LIT

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2017 the Maine farm & barn that inspired this classic 1952 novel were put up for sale

Catherine Ono: 18800+4401=23201 (2x = $46,402)
Rebecca Heide: 11600+7201=18801
Jason Downer: 7000+0=7000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Charlotte’s Web

Daily Doubles
Catherine: 4200+4200
Jason: 3200-2000
Jason: 4400-1000

Coryats
Catherine: 15600
Rebecca: 11600
Jason: 10000

Combined: 37,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Catherine: 8400
Rebecca: 8800
Jason: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jason on DD3 had the dreaded “wortter” (or “lettord”?) error (not to be confused with the “lettable” for letters vs. syllables) that can afflict both viewers & contestants as he seemed to process DD3 as needing a 7-letter response when it was 7 words.

Jason Downer kind of lived up to his name as after that miss he asked Alex, “You want me to continue?”

The FJ! clue had nothing to give me hesitation from locking in the correct title from the get-go. That is terrific that all three players got it right and Catherine is some champ getting exactly 23201 for each victory.

I’ll leave “radiant” and “humble” for someone else to use in their comments.

Thank goodness Rebecca did not write Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm for her response as Maine works, but 1903 is almost 50 years off.

Now we know Nick’s opponent: viewtopic.php?p=273306#p273306
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Good final question. My grandfather is from Maine (so I knew that Charlotte's Web's inspiration was in Maine), and my grandmother loved Charlotte's Web, so this was an instaget. 2/2
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Briefly distracted by Maine but quickly switched to looking for a kids’ book set on a farm with emphasis on a barn and was home free.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

For some reason, I thought that Charlotte's Web was set in Britain.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm getting too dumb to play along anymore. I have no idea where the Danube is.

1952 + farm = ... Um. Date seemed not far back enough for Charlotte's Web. Babe was a book but I'm pretty sure it was British. Uh... ... ... nah, I got nothing, this is gonna be another stumper, I know it...
hscer

Post by hscer »

Wonder if Rogowsky is going to bring up Jeopardy's HQ Trivia category on HQ Trivia tonight (or whoever hosts).
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The contestants handled what I thought was a hard board very well. All three had some good gets, and I felt bad for Jason after he uncovered 2 tough DDs in the DJ round. But I did think that the Singing in the Rain DD was grossly overvalued.

Instant get FJ. I guess that makes 2 kiddie lit FJs in the span of a week?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: Rhine, "Now is the winter of our discontent", Veep, Strauss.
FJ: Didn't we just have a children's lit clue last Friday?
Thought first of Babe, but figured that was too recent, remembered Charlotte's Web.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wasn't Singing in the Rain negged once? Sounded like what she said. I'd check the Archive, but it keeps erroring on me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:06 pm Wasn't Singing in the Rain negged once? Sounded like what she said. I'd check the Archive, but it keeps erroring on me.
The Archive shows the correct response with Singin' while more ears than 2 have heard "Singing" according to a quick spin around message boards.

That of course leads to Gangsta's/Gangster's brought up again.

Singing was accepted in this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4126
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

My 7-year old daughter just solved her first-ever FJ! It's one of her favorite books and movies. I had to help her parse the clue by asking her what book takes place in a barn in Maine, and she solved it before the end of the music!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Black Beauty here. With the clue as written, I can't imagine me ever getting to Charlotte's Web.

Later addendums:
Shrek got a guffaw out of me (LL)
The World According to Garp got a full bellied laugh; I saw that movie for the first time Saturday.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was distracted by Maine for a bit, and the only Maine-set thing for kids I could think of was Pete's Dragon, which isn't even a novel. But I kept racking my brain, and somehow pulled up the correct response for a farm-based children's classic novel from mid-century.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

ouachiouat wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:22 pm My 7-year old daughter just solved her first-ever FJ! It's one of her favorite books and movies. I had to help her parse the clue by asking her what book takes place in a barn in Maine, and she solved it before the end of the music!
Just this morning, I was getting after my daughter to pick up some clutter in her room, including a copy of Charlotte's Web. She mentioned that she was lukewarm about it and thereby crushed my soul. Later on, we had a laugh when FJ came up.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I read Charlotte's Web back in the day, but I have no recollection of it taking place in Maine. My response was Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (which I never read); right church, wrong pew decade.

Worst error today was "This is the winter of our discontent". Oy.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 pm Worst error today was "This is the winter of our discontent". Oy.
Same here. I knew it didn't sound right...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:06 pm Wasn't Singing in the Rain negged once? Sounded like what she said. I'd check the Archive, but it keeps erroring on me.
I'm ashamed to post a possible explanation without replaying and looking up the exact clue, but IIRC, I was prepared for them just to take an answer of "Singing" based on the clue. I don't think it was pinned to the movie title proper and I might have answered just "singing" and take the chance for a BMS.

Now I can't remember the clue with the "Wow" in it, but when Catherine answered it, I said "Wow" spontaneously without realizing the humorous coincidence.

Some great YEKIOYD gets and a couple of silly TS's. Classical music - no guessing allowed.

I cycled through Animal Farm/ Charlotte's Web and decided the former was not a Children's book. Then pondered "Babe" but never knew it as a book and thought it must be more contemporary. I don't even know the Charlotte's Web story or characters, but locked it in as a popular FJ! topic. After a box of shame week, starting out with a double.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.