Wednesday, June 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7783, 2018-06-13

CONTESTANTS
Nick Anspach, a professor of political science from York, Pennsylvania
Diana Hsu, a legal records assistant from Malden, Massachusetts
Catherine Ono, a software developer from Santa Clara, California (whose 2-day cash winnings total $46,402)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome, everybody. Since yesterday's program, I've been racking my brain, trying to recall if we've ever had one contestant win two days in a row substantial amounts of money, but exactly the same amount. Catherine has done that. It's not all that important, I suppose, but if it happens today, saliva test. Diana and Nick, good to have you here. Let's go to work. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SCIENCE (4/5)
"S"EVEN LETTER WORDS (5/5)
U.S. LIBRARIES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SINGERS' SHARED FIRST NAMES (5/5)
POLITICS & CURRENT AFFAIRS BOOKS (5/5)
BACK PEDDLING (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Catherine: 10 R, 0 W
Diana: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Nick: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Catherine: $3,600
Nick: $2,000
Diana: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Nick Anspach is a professor of political science. He's from York, Pennsylvania. I have on my bucket list bungee jumping. I would like to do it, but I've never done it. Never had the guts. You did the world's highest bungee jump. Where is it?

Nick: Tallest commercial bungee jump. It's in South Africa. Some friends of mine from college, one of whom's in the audience today--after college, after we graduated, just went to Africa and had a great African adventure.

Alex: How tall?

Nick: Just over 700 feet.

Alex: Hello. Did he do it?

Nick: He did. Yes, he did.

Alex: Oh, good. Well, that's--

Nick: Forced the rest of us to.

Alex: Oh, all right. Good.

Alex: Diana Hsu from Malden, Massachusetts. You knitted...

Diana: This shawl.

[Diana indicates the shawl she's wearing.]

Alex: This shawl. To make your appearance here on the program?

Diana: Yes, and I finished it while studying for Jeopardy!.

Alex: Really? How long did it take you to do this shawl.

Diana: All told, probably about 7 months, but off and on, as I took breaks.

Alex: Okay. That's also on my bucket list.

Diana: Well, I can teach you.

Alex: Knitting shawls.

Alex: Catherine Ono is our champion. When you were younger, you got kicked out of the Tower of London. What were you doing?

Catherine: So I was very young. My parents took me on, like, the Beefeater tour of the Tower of London. It finishes up in the chapel; I discovered that the chapel echoed. And, yeah, I was playing with the echo and got kicked off the tour.

Alex: You don't want to mess with those Beefeaters.

Catherine: No, you don't.

Alex: They'll deal with you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Diana found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Catherine had $5,000, Diana had $1,600, and Nick was at $2,000. Diana wagered $600.

U.S. LIBRARIES $1000: Housing millions of records, the Family History Library in this city attracts genealogists from all over the world
(Diana: What is Chicago?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCIENCE $400: Development of an organism from gamete to fetus is the focus of this -ology
(Diana: What is... gynecology?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Catherine: $6,600
Diana: $4,400
Nick: $4,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
APPALACHIAN APPELLATION (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TOP TV SHOWS 1968 (4/5)
IDIOM ORIGINS (5/5)
X-MEN MARK THE LITERARY SPOT (5/5)
BACH (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TO THE FUTURE (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Diana: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Nick: 10 R, 5 W (including 2 DDs)
Catherine: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nick snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Catherine had $7,000, Diana had $5,200, and Nick was at $9,200. Nick wagered $4,000.

BACH $800: Counter Keyseling may have commissioned this work, 30 takes on one theme, named for the count's harpsichordist
(Nick: What is "The Well-Tempered Klavier"?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Nick who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Catherine had $9,400, Diana had $13,200, and Nick was at $7,200. Nick wagered $3,000.

APPALACHIAN APPELLATION $1200: As early as the 1920s, American Jews were summering in this alliterative area of the Catskills
(Alex: Nick?)
(Nick: I don't know.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TO THE FUTURE $800: "The Future of God" was penned by this Indian-born spiritualist

TO THE FUTURE $1600: Some misfires from this 1970 book by Alvin Toffler: paper clothes & the world's urban population doubling by 1981

TO THE FUTURE $2000: This "Cloud Atlas" author gave a new novel to Norway's Future Library but you can't read it until 2114

TOP TV SHOWS 1968 $2000: John Cabot's explorer son, or the actor who as Mr. French helped look after Buffy & Jody on "Family Affair"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Diana: $16,000
Catherine: $11,400
Nick: $5,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1990s ANIMATED FILMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Diana: Wager $6,801 to cover Catherine.
Catherine: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,399 (martian), and you'll win the game if Diana wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Nick: To win, you must get Final right and count on a wagering mistake on Catherine's part. Wager all $5,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Though it draws elements from "Hamlet", Disney says this was their first all-animated feature based on an original story

FINAL SCORES
Nick: $5,000 + $5,000 = $10,000 (What is the Lion King?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Catherine: $11,400 + $2,200 = $13,600 (What is The Lion King?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Diana: $16,000 + $8,001 = $24,001 (What is The Lion King) (New champion: $24,001)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Diana: $16,600, 21 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Nick: $12,000, 17 R, 7 W (including 2 DDs)
Catherine: $11,400, 14 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $40,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Diana: 22/59 = .373
Nick: 18/60 = .300
Catherine: 15/58 = .259
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
U.S. LIBRARIES $200: AKA "The Rock", the John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library is one of the main libraries of this R.I. Ivy League school
(Nick: What is Dartmouth?)
(Alex: No.)
(Diana: [As she rings in] What is [*]?)
(Alex: Diana, you rang in and said [*], and Catherine's upset because she's a graduate of [*].)

U.S. LIBRARIES $600: The iconic Geisel Library at UC San Diego houses a vast collection of items associated with this author
(Alex: Yes, Theodor Geisel.)

"S"EVEN LETTER WORDS $400: Use this tube & enjoy a view of the threadfin butterfly & other reef fish
(Nick: What is a...)

BACH $400: J.S. Bach's work, like the concerto heard here, exemplifies this classical style that flourished from 1600 to 1750

IDIOM ORIGINS $800: On the water you might find yourself between the devil, a seam in a ship, & this
(Nick: What are the details?)

TO THE FUTURE $400: This section of Disneyland was originally designed to imagine the far future of 1986
(Nick: What is EPCOT?)

APPALACHIAN APPELLATION $2000: The observation point seen here has great views of Clingmans Dome in these mountains on the Tennessee-North Carolina border
(Nick: What are the Blue Mountains?)

TOP TV SHOWS 1968 $400: "Julia" starred Diahann Carroll as a nurse & single mother, widowed when her husband died in this conflict
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Salt Lake City
embryology
the "Goldberg Variations"
the Borscht Belt
Deepak Chopra
Future Shock
David Mitchell
Sebastian Cabot
The Lion King
Brown
Dr. Seuss
a snorkel
baroque
the deep blue sea
Tomorrowland
the Great Smoky Mountains
the Vietnam War
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1990s ANIMATED FILMS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Though it draws elements from “Hamlet”, Disney says this was their first all-animated feature based on an original story

Catherine Ono: 11400+2200=13600
Diana Hsu: 16000+8001=24001 (New Champ)
Nick Anspach: 5000+5000=10000

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Lion King

Daily Doubles
Diana: 1600-600
Nick: 9200-4000
Nick: 7200-3000

Coryats
Catherine: 11400
Diana: 16600
Nick: 12000

Combined: 40,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Catherine: 6600
Diana: 4400
Nick: 4000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If someone had told me I would run one out of the twelve categories I would have picked TOP TV SHOWS 1968 even though I only turned five that year. Thank you to the players for completing it, even though it played last, so that I could add 6000 to my score.

Some more that are not completely obscure 50 years later are:
Spoiler
Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In
The Beverly Hillbillies
Bewitched
My Three Sons
Ironside
Dragnet
The F.B.I.
Tough break for you Nick on DD2 as a get there could have allowed you the luxury to bet small on DD3 and perhaps have the lead for the FJ! round.

The FJ! category had me brainstorming what I could recall of the many animated films I saw that decade. It was a heavy dose of Disney & Pixar with Space Jam filling out the list. I liked my chances to get it.

When the clue was revealed and I saw “Hamlet” my thought was, “Oh no, not Shakespeare.” Fortunately, I’ve seen the movie and the comparison previously to join the players on the solve.

cheezguyty: That is 61 clues seen and 3/3 on the FJ! clues for 3 consecutive days. Is the previous occurrence of that distinction recent or further back?

Earlier in the week it was noticed and posted on the board that the line-up of J! players for the week had a Katherine shown as playing on Thursday. That spoiler did seem to pan out that Catherine would not win today as a Catherine & Katherine game did not seem like something the powers would do unless necessary.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Disney movie based on Hamlet = Lion King. 3/3
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never seen the movie or Hamlet but a vague idea the lion had an uncle involved led me to the right movie.

I turned one in 1968 but a misspent youth of afternoon reruns made for an easy sweep of the TV category. I got Andy Griffith in LL yesterday as well.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Didn't recognize anything at all in that Library category. Didn't know there even WAS a Brown University, or whatever that library was at $400.

I ran the "Back" and Singers categories.

Me on Back for $400: "What is Farmers, bum ba dum ba bum bum bum?"

Me on Back for $600: "What is Chiliiiii's baby back ribs? BARBECUE SAUCE."

Lach Trash: Deepak Chopra (definitely a Hawley-Smoot name for me).

1990s Animated Films is sure to be a category to break me out of my FJ! slump. Took me a while, but FINALLY it clicked about 3/4 of the way through.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

How did I miss this FJ? I felt so dumb at the reveal that I considered inventing an Anglican liturgical holy day so I could tell everyone I missed this game due to religious obligations.

Ended up saying The Emperor's New Groove (released in December 2000) since every other Disney animation I could think of has a source story. I've never seen The Lion King (or Emperor's New Groove, for that matter). But I'm obviously aware of its existence and would have guessed it with 100% confidence if it had only occurred to me.

Ran the 1968 TV category. Pre-called Brady Bunch, but I knew there were plenty of other options. Loved the distaste with which Catherine finally called for the first clue in that column after all alternatives had been exhausted. Like Mark, I'm glad they were able to finish the category even with a TS eating up clock.

I also enjoyed Nick's reaction when Catherine got in ahead of him on Well-Tempered Clavier.

I'm curious about Catherine's wager. She opened the door for Nick to get ahead if she missed. I'm not sure what she thought the upside was. She was a fun player and I'll miss her, but I like Diana too.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 pm
Ran the 1968 TV category. Pre-called Brady Bunch, but I knew there were plenty of other options. Loved the distaste with which Catherine finally called for the first clue in that column after all alternatives had been exhausted. Like Mark, I'm glad they were able to finish the category even with a TS eating up clock.
Not that it matters for tonight, but in the future:
The Brady Bunch debuted September 1969.
It never made the top 30 for any of its five seasons.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

If Disney borrowed thematic elements from Hamlet, they also owe a debt to this li'l guy:
Spoiler
I appreciate the "Disney says" wording of the clue.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Dartmouth, Nick?!? If I'd know Catherine was a fellow alum, I'd have been rooting for her before. Well, until she went up against a Boardie, at least.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:23 pm cheezguyty: That is 61 clues seen and 3/3 on the FJ! clues for 3 consecutive days. Is the previous occurrence of that distinction recent or further back?
The last time that happened was QF2-QF4 of the 2014 College Championship. I couldn't find a single previous occurrence in the Archive outside of a tournament.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: embryology, Salt Lake City DD (given geneology, it should be a Pavlov), Deepak Chopra, Borscht Belt DD, Sebastian Cabot
FJ: Animated + Hamlet = Lion King. Instaget.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 pm How did I miss this FJ?
Right there with you. I spent 30 seconds saying, "Hamlet? Hamlet? .... Hamlet?" Nothing ever came to mind.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

FJ: Instaget.

Judges: "Grab the bull by the horns"?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:06 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 pm
Not that it matters for tonight, but in the future:
The Brady Bunch debuted September 1969.
It never made the top 30 for any of its five seasons.
Dang. I just looked up that start date last week and already I'm off by a year.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I was glad to see Mission: Impossible in the TV category, as it's my favorite show. Disappointed to not be able to remember Sebastian Cabot's first name, though.

Instaget from the word "Hamlet".
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Animated movies is perhaps the worst FJ category I could imagine because I haven't seen any since I was a kid and didn't even like Disney then. And because they're so popular, it's not a category like opera one can be half-competent in simply by memorizing 10-12 facts.

I would even bet $0 on it if I were in first and not in lock-out, risking everlasting ridicule. So I went with Hamlet->Elsinore->Little Mermaid->Oh that's Hans Christian Andersen->I've Got Nothing->Well, it's Disney, so maybe the movie had nothing to do with the story and they bought rights or something->How about Little Mermaid II: Electric Booglaoo? I've heard of Lion King, obviously, but I guess there are some Pavlovs I need to know that go with it.
DrTabooSun
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by DrTabooSun »

OriginaL? Yet rips off both Hamlet and Osamu Tezuka's Kimba the White Lion? I would say it is the least original of the Disney classics.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

squarekara wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:09 pm If Disney borrowed thematic elements from Hamlet, they also owe a debt to this li'l guy:
Spoiler
I appreciate the "Disney says" wording of the clue.
To add to that, #4:
http://www.cracked.com/article_17299_6- ... -offs.html

Definite keister covering with the "Disney says" wordage there. Also, I dare not look, but I wonder how many times it's already been mentioned on the 'official' social sites by now :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)