Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

43 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Maisie, (Embargo Act), Strudel, Rhine, (Now is the Winter of Our Discontent), Vice-President, Richard Strauss
Douglas Squasoni
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

Another solid victory by Catherine, complete with the correct all-in Daily Double bet. I like her calm, professional approach, and it shows in the results.

Literature is one of my strongest areas, while children's lit is not. This was still an instaget, though.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 22,200
38 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Embargo Act (DD), strudels, Now is the winter of our discontent (DD), vice president, Richard Strauss

This is very much a day when I am glad to have not been on the stage. Charlotte's Web is a favorite of mine, but I assumed it to have been set somewhere in the Midwest. I went with Anne of Green Gables even though a) I was pretty sure it was set in Canada and b) I'm not sure where the barn part of the clue would have fit in.
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:06 pm Wasn't Singing in the Rain negged once? Sounded like what she said. I'd check the Archive, but it keeps erroring on me.
I'm ashamed to post a possible explanation without replaying and looking up the exact clue, but IIRC, I was prepared for them just to take an answer of "Singing" based on the clue. I don't think it was pinned to the movie title proper and I might have answered just "singing" and take the chance for a BMS.
It was pinned to the title: "After kissing Debbie Reynolds goodnight, Gene Kelly is elated and begins doing this, the film's title"

You don't win on J! by playing cautiously. Jason had a great opportunity to take control of the game by hitting both DJ! DDs more or less back-to-back, but even if he had converted them both, his timid wagers would have had him several thousand dollars out of the lead going into FJ! I know it's an easy thing to say from the comfort of home, but fortune favors the bold.
Last edited by BigDaddyMatty on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey

Post by davey »

Charlotte's Web is always my precall when Children's Literature comes around. And I finally saw the movie recently after Debbie Reynolds (Charlotte) died. (Highlight: Paul Lynde as the rat...) Also E.B. White lived on a farm in Maine. (The one in the clue, natch!) So this was the most insta clue in a long time for me...
http://www.latimes.com/business/realest ... story.html
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Thanks to John Hodgman talking about a famous author who lives near his house in Maine, not naming him, but leaving enough clues to figure it out, and me figuring out those clues-slam dunk FJ. SOME CLUE.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 pm Worst error today was "This is the winter of our discontent". Oy.
Same here. I knew it didn't sound right...
The quote is "Now is the winter of our discontent," which is what Alex said. The error was Jason's response of "Winter?" (Not in the form of a question, not seven words). Jason presumably mis-parsed the clue as "7-LETTER" and guessed "winter" in desperation, hoping he'd miscounted the letters and knowing that any response is better than no response.

It would be interesting to hear Jason's thoughts on the subject. But perhaps we need to work more toward being the sort of group where contestants feel safe sharing those thoughts. I'm in favor of pinning a short Guidelines for Conduct to our front page and culling the few who are unwilling to abide by them.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 pm Worst error today was "This is the winter of our discontent". Oy.
The quote is "Now is the winter of our discontent," which is what Alex said. The error was Jason's response of "Winter?" (Not in the form of a question, not seven words). Jason presumably mis-parsed the clue as "7-LETTER" and guessed "winter" in desperation, hoping he'd miscounted the letters and knowing that any response is better than no response.
I read Linear Gnome's post as her biffing the clue, so that's what I was responding to.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:37 am
I read Linear Gnome's post as her biffing the clue, so that's what I was responding to.
Aha! I think you're right. And even if that's a mis-reading of LG, I now understand your post.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Volante wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:40 pm Black Beauty here. With the clue as written, I can't imagine me ever getting to Charlotte's Web.
Thank you. Kiddy Lit is not a strong category for me and I know nothing about Charlotte's Web. I also said Black Beauty.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 am
Aha! I think you're right. And even if that's a mis-reading of LG, I now understand your post.
I could have averted some confusion by saying "My worst error...". Kirk parsed my post correctly.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:49 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 am

I could have averted some confusion by saying "My worst error...". Kirk parsed my post correctly.
Which makes him the winner in a first parsed the post system.

#ObscureElectoralSystemJokes
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Interesting point that may help people in the future:

The full sentence is "Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of York." The words are (as so often in Shakespeare and other old-time poets) out of order - "The winter of our discontent is now made glorious summer by this sun of York" would be the more natural way to phrase it in modern prose.

In other words, the winter of our discontent is now over under the rule of the benevolent York dynasty (as Richard portrays it, even as he plots to kill multiple members of that family).
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:49 pm Interesting point that may help people in the future:

The full sentence is "Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of York." The words are (as so often in Shakespeare and other old-time poets) out of order - "The winter of our discontent is now made glorious summer by this sun of York" would be the more natural way to phrase it in modern prose.

In other words, the winter of our discontent is now over under the rule of the benevolent York dynasty (as Richard portrays it, even as he plots to kill multiple members of that family).
It's actually "...by this son of York" - which of course is an aural allusion to the sun as well.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

There clearly is a pun either way. The editions I skimmed on Google Books prefer "sun" by a majority but not unanimous vote.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

Title People (4), I Need A Drink (3), Medical (3), Kiss Cam (5), HQ Trivia (2), "IRS" (2)
Classical Favorites (1), Four Seasons (2), 1812 Overtures (5), Blue Danube (3), Common Man (2), Symphony (4)

Lach Trash: Rhine, Vice President, Strauss; Daily Double: Embrago Act

I didn't know Charlotte's Web was inspired by a farm in Maine, but it was the first children's book that came to my mind from "farm and barn".
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

It would be interesting to hear Jason's thoughts on the subject. But perhaps we need to work more toward being the sort of group where contestants feel safe sharing those thoughts. I'm in favor of pinning a short Guidelines for Conduct to our front page and culling the few who are unwilling to abide by them.
Sign me to this petition. As long as we can still ridicule fish flavored ice cream aficionados. :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:30 pm
1952 + farm = ... Um. Date seemed not far back enough for Charlotte's Web.
I also associated Charlotte's Web with being much earlier. I had assumed 1920s or 1930s.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:14 pm Which makes him the winner in a first parsed the post system.

#ObscureElectoralSystemJokes
Sprinkles are for winners.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I think Charlotte's Web was set in the first three decades of the 20th century. I know it best from the animated version starring Debbie Reynolds and a bunch of TV favorites. Judging by the modern conveniences that they had it wasn't as late as the 1952 and certainly wasn't as late as 1973 when the movie was made.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:30 pm I'm getting too dumb to play along anymore. I have no idea where the Danube is.

1952 + farm = ... Um. Date seemed not far back enough for Charlotte's Web. Babe was a book but I'm pretty sure it was British. Uh... ... ... nah, I got nothing, this is gonna be another stumper, I know it...
My daughter was visiting while we watched this episode. I probably read Charlotte's Web several dozen times out loud 30-35 years ago. I had earlier blanked on Clue of the Day. She got it before AT had read the first five words of the clue. Oy.

And I agree with Teapot and Stanislaus who parsed the opening of Richard III by moving the word "now." This has always been one of my least favorite Shakespeare lines because of ambiguity caused by a "misplaced modifier." Most readers, and even most performers, put a pause after "discontent," making it seem like the line means "the winter of our discontent is now."

It took me a couple of viewings to realize the line actually means that winter is over: "The winter of our discontent is now made summer by this son of York." I can't remember which I text(s) I've read, but I've always heard the line as "son" rather than "sun" -- but Teapot and Stanislaus are right, it's a pun either way. To make the groundlings chuckle, perchance?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.