Wednesday, June 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by squarekara »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 pm Also, I dare not look, but I wonder how many times it's already been mentioned on the 'official' social sites by now :lol:
Yikes! I bet it's something like this:
Spoiler
We named our cat Kimba during the show's first US run.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Science (2), "S"even Letter Words (2), U.S. Libraries (3), Singers (5), Politics & Current Affairs (3), Back Peddling (3)
Appalachian (4), Top TV Shows 1968 (4), Idiom Origins (2), X-Men Mark the Literary Spot (3), Bach (1), To The Future (2)

Lach Trash: Future Shock; Daily Double: Borscht Belt

I got it pretty quickly by remembering the jealous uncle Scar in particular.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:28 pm
1990s Animated Films is sure to be a category to break me out of my FJ! slump. Took me a while, but FINALLY it clicked about 3/4 of the way through.
Congrats!
I've seen Shrek mentioned someplace recently and tried to pivot from there to others of the genre. Twelvefootgirl went straight to Lion King when she saw the decade and I knew it would be right, although I've no knowledge of the story. It just seemed like an original composition.

Diane seemed to be buzzing in for all the softball questions and had some knowledge for the hard ones as well. She may be a sleeper and run off a few games.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It would have been funny if Diana had won $23,201 today. She did go for an overwager ending in 01 anyway.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 42,400
50 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Salt Lake City (DD), The Goldberg Variations (DD), Deepak Chopra, Borscht Belt (DD)

The Lion King/Hamlet thing has come up on at least one trivia app recently, so I had FJ! instantly. I don't think they really needed to narrow it down so much with the category. Just Disney Films or Animated Movies would have sufficed.

Couldn't come up with sarcoma even though my dad died of it less than a year ago.

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: slow the heck down on DDs. Nick didn't even bother reading, re-reading, or digesting DD2. Had he done so, he would have realized that The Well-Tempered Clavier didn't fit the "named for the Count's harpsichordist" part of the clue. Getting beaten to the punch when that finally was the right response was just salt in the wound.

"Canon in D Major composer" is not a $2000 clue.

Appalachian Appellation $2000 was essentially the question I missed on WWTBAM?, so there was no way I was missing it here.
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:05 pm Judges: "Grab the bull by the horns"?
Sure. Grab, take, anything like that should be fine.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Between Dhruv Guar and Catherine Ono, Brown alumni have been on a roll lately!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:04 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 pm How did I miss this FJ?
Right there with you. I spent 30 seconds saying, "Hamlet? Hamlet? .... Hamlet?" Nothing ever came to mind.
Me three. Never saw Lion King and had no clue.

Closest I come to this kind of knowledge is the awareness that "O Brother Where Art Thou" is based on the Odyssey.

and that "my so-called life" is based on me.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

41 R
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Embryology, (The Goldberg Variations), David Mitchell, (Borcht Belt), Sebastian Cabot
Douglas Squasoni
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

1990s Animated Films is sure to be a category to break me out of my FJ! slump. Took me a while, but FINALLY it clicked about 3/4 of the way through.
Was also in a two-day slump, so was happy to get a clue I could figure out for the first time this week.

Interestingly, my son came and stayed for a couple of days last week, and we went through somewhat of a Hamlet marathon -- first the Branagh version, then the Olivier version, then re-watched the Branagh version with the commentary track turned on. Ten hours of Hamlet in three days -- oof. We were thinking about the Mel Gibson film, but didn't want to OD.

But, "dastard kills brother to usurp his throne and cut out the prince" was pretty fresh, and Lion King surfaced quickly.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:23 pm If someone had told me I would run one out of the twelve categories I would have picked TOP TV SHOWS 1968 even though I only turned five that year.
i got all, but the dude who played mr. french...i wasn't born until the next decade
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:16 pm
Was also in a two-day slump, so was happy to get a clue I could figure out for the first time this week.

Interestingly, my son came and stayed for a couple of days last week, and we went through somewhat of a Hamlet marathon -- first the Branagh version, then the Olivier version, then re-watched the Branagh version with the commentary track turned on. Ten hours of Hamlet in three days -- oof. We were thinking about the Mel Gibson film, but didn't want to OD.

But, "dastard kills brother to usurp his throne and cut out the prince" was pretty fresh, and Lion King surfaced quickly.
Could've watched http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/MST3K_1009_-_Hamlet as dessert.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:47 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Could've watched http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/MST3K_1009_-_Hamlet as dessert.
Looks delicious, will definitely have to add to the menu for next time. Thanks for the reference.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:24 am

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: slow the heck down on DDs. Nick didn't even bother reading, re-reading, or digesting DD2. Had he done so, he would have realized that The Well-Tempered Clavier didn't fit the "named for the Count's harpsichordist" part of the clue. Getting beaten to the punch when that finally was the right response was just salt in the wound.
Unless he always thought that the work was dedicated to a really chill dude named Clavier.... ;)