Friday, June 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Friday, June 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by DBear »

Instaget FJ. The last two games have been very clean, with only one clue for trash.
Disappointed that Canadian History wasn't finished.
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

My lapsed Catholic brain gave me an instaget based solely on the "40 days after Easter" hint.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I didn't know enough about either geography or Catholicism to get FJ. However, I was able to identify Manitoba based on its shape.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ascension somewhere shortly after the 20th second, but my scribbling motion on my desk leads me to believe I'd get it in time.

Family Guy shoutout!
Spoiler
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:27 pm I said Asunción, which appears to be incorrect.
It's fine for the capital of Paraguay. Not so much for the island.

I did the same.
JTrivial
Valued Contributor

Post by JTrivial »

theFJguy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:02 pm FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A Portuguese explorer gave this name to an island he sighted off Africa’s coast 40 days after Easter
Ascension Island is about 1,000 miles from Africa. “Off the coast” by just a bit...
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I had heard of Pentecost Island before, but all I really knew about it was that an island with that name existed. Didn't know where it was, so it seemed like a reasonable enough guess. Probably the best guess for an island that isn't anywhere near Africa, at least :lol:.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:38 pm Never heard of that island but got it from the description.

Glad the 50 year old won to give me hope. Nice her dad could be there to see her win.
Ditto that, but I did get detoured by the "40" days and counted back to Fat Tuesday, which would make an awesome island name! After parsing the clue better, I toggled between Resurrection and Ascension and decided Ascension sounded more probable.

I hope we get to hear the question her dad went out on.

I don't remember Wednesday's game, but Diana had 6 DD's in a row in the two games. I thought she was going to complete the Hail Mary, but the wording on the English/Japan was brutal and Magi was a helluva WAG from thin air as she (mis)understood the clue.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:29 pm I bit on the "Anachronism" negbait to end up 4/5 in Words About Words.
Me too. Go figure.

I've heard of Ascencion Island and I was on the right TOM track right away. Unfortunately, my knowledge of Christianity is quite limited so I went to Madagascar, knowing it was likely wrong.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:33 am I thought she was going to complete the Hail Mary, but the wording on the English/Japan was brutal and Magi was a helluva WAG from thin air as she (mis)understood the clue.
Meiji
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 36,000
47 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: sewing machine, Columbia, Tudor (DD)

I think this was one of those FJ!s where it really helps to be either Catholic or of one of the Protestant denominations that maintains the Catholic holidays. My best guess was Reunion Island. Second 2/5 week in a row for me after punching well above my weight at nearly 80% for the rest of the season.

Both Deirdre and Jon apparently forgot that DD3 was still on the board when they got to the Meanwhile... category. It would be interesting to see how the game would have turned out had either of the two of them landed that DD. It was a pretty easy one, Diana's misread notwithstanding.

Pavlov I completely blew today: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? = Edward Albee.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got the Meanwhile DD right, not sure how she misheard it. Every clue was about two events in different parts of the world.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Well, I was way off on FJ when I went for Epiphany. It was the only thing I could come up with. At least it's a date based on an amount of time after another holiday.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:01 pm I didn't know enough about either geography or Catholicism to get FJ. However, I was able to identify Manitoba based on its shape.
I see a number of references on this thread to the "Catholic" nature of this clue. Um, this is a Christian belief and not a specifically Catholic one.

I also believe I've never heard of that island, but got this FJ right from "what happened on the Christian calendar 40 days after Easter?"

Yes, we have seen some remarkably "clean" games lately. In the last two I've scored only one and two triple stumpers, respectively. Good for these contestants.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

43 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Sewing Machine, Columbia, Edward Albee, (Tudor)

Once again, 100% on Lach Trash. :D
Douglas Squasoni
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

My job sometimes involves looking through a list of all the world's countries, so I knew of "Ascension Island". Looking at a map, the clue is a real stretch, unless they changed "Off the coast" to mean "The closest major landmass."
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I can't remember the exact wording of the clue, but it was a before-and-after category and the clue's target response was "glee club sandwich."

For some reason, I went more specifically than generically, and blurted "Culture Club sandwich" as my response. Did that fit the clue sufficiently to have been acceptable?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:53 pm In EDIBLE BEFORE AND AFTER, one clue was "Choral singing group that’s got 3 slices of toasted bread, turkey, bacon, lettuce & tomato" and the clue's target response was "glee club sandwich."

For some reason, I went more specifically than generically, and blurted "Culture Club sandwich" as my response. Did that fit the clue sufficiently to have been acceptable? I would submit that it's a singing group -- that does choruses.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:01 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:01 pm I didn't know enough about either geography or Catholicism to get FJ. However, I was able to identify Manitoba based on its shape.
I see a number of references on this thread to the "Catholic" nature of this clue. Um, this is a Christian belief and not a specifically Catholic one.
Most non-Catholic churches don't observe a church calendar. People in those traditions may not be as able to tell you the precise number of days between the Resurrection and the Ascension. So familiarity with the Catholic tradition is probably the most likely way in, even for non-Catholics. But you're right that it's not just Catholics who believe in the Ascension.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:53 pm In EDIBLE BEFORE AND AFTER, one clue was "Choral singing group that’s got 3 slices of toasted bread, turkey, bacon, lettuce & tomato" and the clue's target response was "glee club sandwich."

For some reason, I went more specifically than generically, and blurted "Culture Club sandwich" as my response. Did that fit the clue sufficiently to have been acceptable? I would submit that it's a singing group -- that does choruses.
They might stretch a point to give it to you on reversal. I suppose one could consider Culture Club to be a chorus even though they're not really "a group of singers who perform together, usually singing multi-part compositions with more than one singer for each part." If I were a J! judge, I'd be inclined to vote against. But it wouldn't bug me to be overruled.