Tuesday, June 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:29 pm
That was an easy World History category. Can't say I've heard of Robespierre, which was my only miss.

Two people being surprised at the outcome of something in the 40s? Somehow my mind went instantly to "Dewey defeats Truman", so I put down Dewey without any doubts.
My instinct-ometer was off as Robespierre has no prior hits this season and only came up once last season. I would have bet the over. Dozens of hits all time in the Archive, so you will get another crack at him.

Very nice, you have already locked up 40% for the week on FJ! clues with three to go. Keep it going. Write something tomorrow if at all possible.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I settled on Dewey but really though they might be trying to trick us. If the paper (Chicago Trib?) went with the Dewey Defeats Truman headline mightn't Truman have thought he lost based on the early returns and sent off the congrats telegram. Not likely, I know, but possible.
Cyric29
Contributor

Post by Cyric29 »

mrparadise wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:51 pm I settled on Dewey but really though they might be trying to trick us. If the paper (Chicago Trib?) went with the Dewey Defeats Truman headline mightn't Truman have thought he lost based on the early returns and sent off the congrats telegram. Not likely, I know, but possible.
Had the exact same thought process, reasoning that Truman sent telegram thinking he had lost and then was "surprised" when he had won.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

DBear wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:32 pm Magna Carta for 1620 was a particularly bad guess.
Kept confusing landlocked states for non-perimeter states, talked myself out of Arizona and the Dakotas because of that. Also fell for Ohio.
FJ was an instaget.
It seemed that he knew that was wrong but just said it because you should always say something.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: I'm glad Ali got the Joe Frazier question.
Except he missed a great chance to do an Ali impression: "Joe FRAYSHA"
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Good game to watch. I'm glad Jessica got the extra grand. Both the women showed some arcane knowledge. I NHO "mage", how did Jessica pull that one out? The writers must have worried about it to practically give it away by mentioning the initial "i".

Tough miss for Ali with the DD1 coming up as basically an American pop history topic with the Mayflower Compact. I don't think he needs a lot of handicapping however, he seems pretty knowledgeable.

I thought the landlocked states was a fun category, and of course picked Alabama and wondered where the Illinois guess came from. Good reason to start at the top of the category. I also said South for South Dakota and South Carolina - oops - maybe South Missouri?

Instaget FJ. I assume the two misses were thinking HST sent a premature telegram and overthought it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

The "figure out 2 parts of the clue" clues always require me to pause the DVR, but Poke Out An I was particularly egregious. I must have spent 5 minutes just on the $1200 clue. I first tried to think of computer keys, couldn't come up with any synonyms for "landed," then looked at my computer's keyboard and still came up with nothing. What a relief (?) to learn the correct response was a word I've never heard in my life. If the clue had said "synonym for lighted," I might have stood a chance just by working the grammar.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:34 pm I NHO "mage", how did Jessica pull that one out?
Anyone who has ever played an RPG knows what a mage is.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:29 pm I instagot Truman. Five seconds later... "No! No! It's Dewey!"
Me too (I almost said "+1" so as not to say "me too", but only almost). But for Truman to have done such a thing goes against everything I've ever read about the campaign, and of course, most reporters were surprised by the result.

Different story in the 1986 World Series, though, when the Shea Stadium board operator did congratulate the Boston Red Sox, and 2003, when the New York Times (a part owner of the Boston Red Sox) ran an editorial not only congratulating them, but saying that all New Yorkers (even those who didn't own the Red Sox) should come together and root for Boston in the World Series.
I'm smart and I want respect.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

46 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Mayflower Compact), Semantics, Hoboken, Alt, Arizona, Yale, (Dakota), Pennsylvania

Post #250, I now officially watch Jeopardy! way to much. 8-)
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's interesting how, but for that errant headline, Dewey would be totally unknown today.

Now that I read the comments, I can see how people might have thought the answer was Truman because he gave up too early. I wouldn't have thought of that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:48 am It's interesting how, but for that errant headline, Dewey would be totally unknown today.
This is the fifth archived game he has been the FJ subject. I recall one other where they answered he got the most electoral votes against FDR. But I agree he is probably the best known presidential loser.

Now that I read the comments, I can see how people might have thought the answer was Truman because he gave up too early. I wouldn't have thought of that.
I did go down that path but decided that if Truman had sent a telegram, the story would have been better known.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I wasn't a fan of the landlocked states or the drop the "i" category, but it's hard for me not to like a board that has a clue on Titian (multiple artists did a painting of the assumption of the virgin, but I picked Titian because I have always thought his version to be the most famous). I didn't notice the omission of the "n" at the end of his name, though.

I got FJ, but I read it a couple times to make sure I picked the right dude. I might have expected one contestant, but not two to pick Truman. But this was still a great game.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Anybody else think Ali should have gotten credit, perhaps after the break, for "semiotics"? Yes, I knew before he said it what they were going for, but when I heard his response I thought to myself "yeah, that works too".
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Having lived in New Jersey for many years, I had never thought of Pennsylvania as a 'landlocked' state, but I guess Delaware Bay doesn't count.
I could note that Philadelphia is the 25th largest port in the USA in volume, and was a critical port in colonial days, but Pittsburgh is a larger port and nowhere near an ocean (as well as a few others!).

Sadly, I answered FJ with 'Truman'. I know the story, but just reacted and didn't think about it enough. I went back to the clue to see where I went wrong, but the clue was clear :( .
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

da Doctah wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am Anybody else think Ali should have gotten credit, perhaps after the break, for "semiotics"? Yes, I knew before he said it what they were going for, but when I heard his response I thought to myself "yeah, that works too".
I think you have a point. "Semantics" is definitely a better response. I suspect linguists would argue it's the only correct response. But that's because they have a technical definition for "meaning". Under that definition, "semiotics" doesn't talk about what things "mean" but what they "signify". I think. IANAL. But it might be a bit much for a general knowledge show to insist on precise technical definitions for words that also have broader uses outside the discipline.

This raises similar issues to our 2016 discussion on the Alekhine Defense. A contestant described it as a "chess strategy" and received credit. The Alekhine Defense is actually a chess OPENING, which chess mavens distinguish from a strategy. Most of us agreed that the AD is nevertheless a "strategy" in the ordinary, broader sense of that term. So we agreed with the contestant receiving credit. Perhaps a similar logic should have been applied to semiotics being a study of "meaning".

I'm ok with "semiotics" being negged, but I would have been ok with it being accepted. If I were a J! judge, I'd probably say to the other judges, "I dunno. I'll go with whatever you guys think." (And then they'd choose a side but they'd make some stupid argument for it and I'd suddenly find myself passionately on the other side of the debate.)
hscer

Post by hscer »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:22 am
alietr wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:48 am It's interesting how, but for that errant headline, Dewey would be totally unknown today.
This is the fifth archived game he has been the FJ subject. I recall one other where they answered he got the most electoral votes against FDR. But I agree he is probably the best known presidential loser.
Well, before a certain date. Ignoring those who were president anyway, almost every loser since and including Goldwater I'd guess is better known than Dewey.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
hscer

Post by hscer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:00 am
da Doctah wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am Anybody else think Ali should have gotten credit, perhaps after the break, for "semiotics"? Yes, I knew before he said it what they were going for, but when I heard his response I thought to myself "yeah, that works too".

This raises similar issues to our 2016 discussion on the Alekhine Defense. A contestant described it as a "chess strategy" and received credit. The Alekhine Defense is actually a chess OPENING, which chess mavens distinguish from a strategy. Most of us agreed that the AD is nevertheless a "strategy" in the ordinary, broader sense of that term. So we agreed with the contestant receiving credit.
Did anyone vote for BMS?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

hscer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:19 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:22 am
Well, before a certain date. Ignoring those who were president anyway, almost every loser since and including Goldwater I'd guess is better known than Dewey.
I probably should have added “for elections that happened before you were born”.
hscer

Post by hscer »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:28 am

I probably should have added “for elections that happened before you were born”.
Yeah that addition would have avoided my unnecessary pedantry