Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Rocks & Minerals (3), Landmark (4), Surnames (1), "H" to "H" (3), Office Supplies (4), Football (3)
Class at Harvard (2), Hip-Hop Group (2), U.S. Cities (4), Poets & Poetry (4), Very Small Talk (2), Real Game of Thrones (3)

Lach Trash: Henry VII, The Bells

Instaget FJ because of "1958 suspense film"; if just given the term "vestibular rehabilitation", I wouldn't have linked it to vertigo.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Do we now have to worry about a Canadian outchange? Don't know how that works.

I have Meniere's disease and spent about a year in vestibular rehab for my vertigo bouts, so this FJ was a piece of cake.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

clprez wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 pm Do we now have to worry about a Canadian outchange? Don't know how that works.
They take over but they're really apologetic.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

clprez wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 pm Do we now have to worry about a Canadian outchange? Don't know how that works.
Hasn't there truly been one since 1984?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Breaking Bad got me Schwartz. Walter White's business partner was named Schwartz and they named their company 'Gray Matter' as a pun combining black and white.

Not quite an insta-final, but pretty close.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

tonight was the first time i ever have welcomed trebek's lame accents....only reason i got that burns dude right for one of the poetry clues
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:25 pm Give credit to Amanda for writing something down just to have a response for FJ, but I can't say that I've ever heard of that one.
how she came up with suspiria and not vertigo is beyond me...suspiria is a 1970s italian horror film...famous in the horror world, but would not have thought in the mainstream...saw pieces of it when i worked at a video store when i was 14, but never the whole film
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:29 pm Not the slightest clue what vestibular rehabilitation is, but Vertigo fit the other part, so that was my guess.
same for me...knew vertigo came out around that time...only other movie with a condition in the title that i could come up with at the time was "heartburn" and knew that came out in the 80s
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:40 pm Breaking Bad got me Schwartz. Walter White's business partner was named Schwartz and they named their company 'Gray Matter' as a pun combining black and white.
Certainly a valid way (and one of the best shows ever), but I would have thought most would get it from Black Forest = Schwarzwald.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mxc_takeshi wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:07 pm Instaget FJ because of "1958 suspense film"; if just given the term "vestibular rehabilitation", I wouldn't have linked it to vertigo.
Exact opposite for me. I think this one is going to poll quite high. The three of us watching at my house all got it instantly.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

How I knew one of the clues department: in my job as an appraiser in a used record store, earlier in the week I handled a large collection that included a spoken word reading of T. S. Eliot's Four Quartets.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:33 am
mxc_takeshi wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:07 pm Instaget FJ because of "1958 suspense film"; if just given the term "vestibular rehabilitation", I wouldn't have linked it to vertigo.
Exact opposite for me. I think this one is going to poll quite high. The three of us watching at my house all got it instantly.
So if I knew both pieces of this, why couldn't I put them together?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:29 am
Volante wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:40 pm Breaking Bad got me Schwartz. Walter White's business partner was named Schwartz and they named their company 'Gray Matter' as a pun combining black and white.
Certainly a valid way (and one of the best shows ever), but I would have thought most would get it from Black Forest = Schwarzwald.
I didn't grok that until after that episode either :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:29 pm Not the slightest clue what vestibular rehabilitation is, but Vertigo fit the other part, so that was my guess.
I went with the only movie named for a disease that came to mind and it was right.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:06 pm
Hi, Amanda and it's nice to have players join and share. I can't imagine the 4 month wait and vow of silence :D .
Please educate me about this. I have heard snippets about such a thing, to the effect that people are encouraged (ordered?) not to post (anything?) on the board when they become contestants. Is there such an order from TPTB? Does it involve ANY posting or is it limited to one's own game(s)? Does it cover the time from when you get The Call or only the time after your taping?

Curious minds want to know.

Thanks in advance for clarifying.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 pm
badgerfellow wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:16 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:25 pm Give credit to Amanda for writing something down just to have a response for FJ, but I can't say that I've ever heard of that one.
Quite a deep cut: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspiria
I'd love to hear her thought process since she wrote her response so quickly. And, although it didn't work out for her, she looked like she had a great time.
It indeed did look like she was enjoying herself -- quite the sunniest smile we've seen in some time. Made me cheer up just to see it.

----------------------
(subsequent edit - above was posted before I saw Amanda was now on the board)

I'll join those welcoming you, Amanda! Three very good players and all were easy to root for. I'm usually pretty neutral and simply enjoy good game play, but I have to admit I was leaning in your favor. Hope you had a great time with the experience, and we'll look forward to future interactions here.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

John Boy wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:11 pm
Hi, Amanda and it's nice to have players join and share. I can't imagine the 4 month wait and vow of silence :D .
Please educate me about this. I have heard snippets about such a thing, to the effect that people are encouraged (ordered?) not to post (anything?) on the board when they become contestants. Is there such an order from TPTB? Does it involve ANY posting or is it limited to one's own game(s)? Does it cover the time from when you get The Call or only the time after your taping?

The show sends out social media guidelines after contestants confirm their tape date. TPTB encourage people to promote their appearance on the show or describe their experience, but just to be careful about spoilers. This goes for the live audience as well, but the contestants run the risk of forfeiting their winnings if they let the cat out of the bag. Most contestants probably find it easier to refrain from public comment until the air date.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

44 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Aquinas), Holograph, (Great Falls), The English Channel, Henry, The Bells

0/5 in Hip-Hop Groups.
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 pm
Yeah, that. Went from 1958 suspense film alone, got Vertigo
But what about...Touch of Evil, or The Fly, or It! The Terror from Beyond Space...?... ;)
AmandaG

Post by AmandaG »

squarekara wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:39 pm
John Boy wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:11 pm

The show sends out social media guidelines after contestants confirm their tape date. TPTB encourage people to promote their appearance on the show or describe their experience, but just to be careful about spoilers. This goes for the live audience as well, but the contestants run the risk of forfeiting their winnings if they let the cat out of the bag. Most contestants probably find it easier to refrain from public comment until the air date.
Yup, this! Someone who was an active board participant before becoming a contestant might know if TPTB address it specifically when you disclose that, but otherwise I assume the general "don't tell anyone anything before your air date, and don't be a douche on social media" guidelines apply. I was just a lurker until I saw my name mentioned, lol, so. :mrgreen: