Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Bamaman »

The Army Ranger came in third in the primary. The guy with the gun came in second to make the runoff.

Stacy won the Democratic primary.

The insurance guy won nomination without having to go to a runoff.
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

Bamaman wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:49 pm The Army Ranger came in third in the primary. The guy with the gun came in second to make the runoff.

Stacy won the Democratic primary.

The insurance guy won nomination without having to go to a runoff.
I was hoping Cagle would reach 50 percent, thereby sparing us two more months of ads triggering the most destructive, cruel, and nihilistic impulses of Republican primary voters, but the runoff can only hurt either of them.

The Democratic primary for my congressional district was split six ways, and haven’t yet seen which two made it to the runoff.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Volante wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:31 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:53 am Speaking of the Oscars -- The Washington Post published a list of all of the Best Picture winners so you can see how many you've seen. I'm somewhere around 82 (I made it a project a few years back to try to see the ones I hadn't seen), but there were 3 or 4 that I couldn't remember whether I'd seen them or not. Have at it.

Best Pictures.GIF
81 that I can remember. Broadway Melody, Cavalcade, The Great Ziegfeld, An American in Paris, Tom Jones, 12 Years a Slave, Spotlight, Moonlight, The Shape of Water still missing.
Done! Also bonus film Best Unique and Artistic Picture (1929) Sunrise.
Until next year, AMPAS.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:18 pm Watching J! through the Montgomery, AL feed allows me to see political ads that are quite different than the ones that air locally in S.F. Here are two that have run a lot recently:
Spoiler

The gun-totin' gal managed to win without a run-off. The preacher wannabe will be in a run-off.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So, I passed Tanzanian ambassador's car today, and was thinking about how Tanzania was a portmanteau. Then I tried to think of any other countries whose name is a portmanteau and couldn't come up with any. Are there any others?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:52 pm So, I passed Tanzanian ambassador's car today, and was thinking about how Tanzania was a portmanteau. Then I tried to think of any other countries whose name is a portmanteau and couldn't come up with any. Are there any others?
Looks like there was a Senegambia for a while, but otherwise, no, there are not.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

econgator wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:08 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:52 pm So, I passed Tanzanian ambassador's car today, and was thinking about how Tanzania was a portmanteau. Then I tried to think of any other countries whose name is a portmanteau and couldn't come up with any. Are there any others?
Looks like there was a Senegambia for a while, but otherwise, no, there are not.
Czechoslovakia was one too, (or are there rules about chopping off part of the word to make a portmanteau that I don't know).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Does Pakistan count? Its name is basically an acronym with a suffix.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Eurasia has always been at war with Eastasia.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

How about the one Trump created? Conflate Namibia and Gambia to get "Nambia."
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

J6 had one today that was flat wrong. Don't be puttin' rum in my mint julep, thank you.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

bomtr wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:58 pm J6 had one today that was flat wrong. Don't be puttin' rum in my mint julep, thank you.
Um, yeah, I expect a lot of POd Kentuckians. Even hinting that Jack Daniel's is bourbon ignites them.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bomtr wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:58 pm J6 had one today that was flat wrong. Don't be puttin' rum in my mint julep, thank you.
Weird. Two seconds of fact checking would've fixed that. Then another few seconds to google drinks with rum in them. Daiquiri, Piña Colada, Mai Tai, Mojito.... Take your pick.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So, I was using the phrase 'name names' in a sentence. And then I tried to think of another way to use the same word as a verb and noun as consecutive words in a phrase or sentence. I couldn't come up with any. Anyone else think of any?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:38 pm So, I was using the phrase 'name names' in a sentence. And then I tried to think of another way to use the same word as a verb and noun as consecutive words in a phrase or sentence. I couldn't come up with any. Anyone else think of any?
tag tags
sign signs
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

alietr wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:38 pm So, I was using the phrase 'name names' in a sentence. And then I tried to think of another way to use the same word as a verb and noun as consecutive words in a phrase or sentence. I couldn't come up with any. Anyone else think of any?
sprinkle sprinkles
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I once came up with the sentence "I dream my dream and dance my dance," which is the same if you skip two words after each word (wrapping around to the beginning as necessary, like reading the alphabet as ADGJMPSVYBEH...). Also, if you write it in a tic-tac-toe board starting in the top left corner and leaving the bottom right blank, it's the same whether you go horizontally and work down or you go vertically and work to the right:
Attachments
4F83AD62-7FEF-47DB-8739-AB6E0F5F6E25.jpeg
4F83AD62-7FEF-47DB-8739-AB6E0F5F6E25.jpeg (129.73 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"Only the dust of his remains remains."

I'm glad you post posts like this.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

There's even a term for this in linguistic studies: cognate accusative. The direct object of the verb is a form of the verb itself. Of course, the words don't have to be adjacent, so you're asking for a particular subset of cognate accusatives. E.g. when Jesus says, "I have a baptism to be baptized with," that's an example of a cognate accusative but outside the scope of your query.

If you'll allow an article between the two words, I can offer something like "Don't talk the talk if you're not going to walk the walk." Also phrases like pray a prayer and dream a dream. Or without the article, to pray prayers and dream dreams.

The cognate accusative is a feature of Hebrew and of all the Indo-European languages with which I am familiar--English, Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Old English, and Old Icelandic

Anyway, if you need me, I'll be out seeing the sights and living my life.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

drink drinks