Friday, June 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Friday, June 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:38 pm They rarely if ever play the Falco version that has that verse in it, which is sad. Luckily I still have it on cassette tape :o not to mention burned forever into my memory from constant playing as a kid. And that has helped me answer numerous Mozart question over the years that would otherwise seem impossible.
Here you go:

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Scott is controlling the games and playing efficiently.

How did so many boardies jump to a composer? I figured the Vienna/London TOM just had to do with their Scientific or Archaeological prestige, not especially the stomping grounds of the deceased. In hindsight, sure Vienna and music, but who poisons musicians? I just picked Rasputin, knowing I might as well have picked Cleopatra or Socrates.

I pre-called the reversal for Annual Rate of Return, but TPTB were generous giving Revenue IMHO - that isn't a thing anyone would call ARR.

I think we have a TOC player come Tuesday. His community theater background has helped his run - he mowed down those Willy Loman clues.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:57 pm I pre-called the reversal for Annual Rate of Return, but TPTB were generous giving Revenue IMHO - that isn't a thing anyone would call ARR.
I must've sped through the reversal, but did they actually credit him with a correct response or just not penalize him for coming in after what should have been a correct response?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

My high school class got to see Amadeus at the Cineplex down the street. Easy FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

DBear wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:51 am My high school class got to see Amadeus at the Cineplex down the street. Easy FJ.
I might have gotten this off the date and Vienna reference, but having seen Amadeus years ago sealed it on the poisoning part (which I had never heard of otherwise).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:38 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:29 pm I wasn't aware that Mozart died of poisoning, but Vienna + 1791 (thanks, Falco) = Mozart.
They rarely if ever play the Falco version that has that verse in it, which is sad. Luckily I still have it on cassette tape :o not to mention burned forever into my memory from constant playing as a kid. And that has helped me answer numerous Mozart question over the years that would otherwise seem impossible.

Not long after the song came out Mozart was a question in the Fame Game round of Sale of the Century. The clue started "I was born in 1756....." :D
They play the song occasionally on Sirius’ 80s channel, but I’ve never heard them play it with the biographical information. Rather sad, as I think it added something to the song.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Leander wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:14 am
DBear wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:51 am My high school class got to see Amadeus at the Cineplex down the street. Easy FJ.
I might have gotten this off the date and Vienna reference, but having seen Amadeus years ago sealed it on the poisoning part (which I had never heard of otherwise).
^^ This
davey

Post by davey »

I think the clue is a little misleading because the idea that Mozart was poisoned has never been widely held by historians.
Grove Music Online - there is no credible evidence to support the notion that he was poisoned, by Salieri or anyone else.
But Amadeus, a work of historical fiction, certainly popularized it...this clue would never exist without it.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:25 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:57 pm I pre-called the reversal for Annual Rate of Return, but TPTB were generous giving Revenue IMHO - that isn't a thing anyone would call ARR.
I must've sped through the reversal, but did they actually credit him with a correct response or just not penalize him for coming in after what should have been a correct response?
My recaps are nothing like Master Barrett's, but Alex 'splained that the writers decided they were trying to be to cute with "blame it on the rain", and accepted all three answers and paid on them. Alex even emphasized it again to Ruth that she had $2000 (?) more because of her answer of "return". I still think accepting "Annual Rate of Return" is a stretch, but it's the best they can do. If Ruth's answer hadn't been so strong, they might have considered editing the misses and return their loss.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:38 am I think the clue is a little misleading because the idea that Mozart was poisoned has never been widely held by historians.
Grove Music Online - there is no credible evidence to support the notion that he was poisoned, by Salieri or anyone else.
But Amadeus, a work of historical fiction, certainly popularized it...this clue would never exist without it.
NOW I get it. This category should have been "Fake History" or "Grassy Knoll". Who the hell poisons composers? I no longer hate the public school system for failing to mention this about Mozart. But I do know who invented the Cotton Gin :roll:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

18th Century? Vienna? Mysterious death? Connect the dots... Mozart. It helps that I’ve seen Amadeus, so the poisoning angle didn’t throw me. I was stunned that it wasn’t a triple get, let alone a TS.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:21 pm I'll be curious to see how this FJ polls. My guess is that the contestants were thrown off by the reference to London. Otherwise, I don't understand how Scott and Nick couldn't even come up with someone famous from that era as a wild guess. Ruth's guess was certainly interesting - but at least she wrote something down.
Not only off on the time line by about 125 years but her needlessly-large wager cost her 2nd place and an extra $1,000. Oh well.

:roll:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:29 pm I thought that would be a triple get. Anybody have any insight on how London might have been a TOM?
London seems to have been a distraction. But the date, plus Vienna, plus the idea that he was thought to have been poisoned.

Anybody see Amadeus?

OK, it helped that I'm a classical music fan, and helped especially that I sang a couple of major Mozart works with the Cleveland Orchestra and Chorus during the 1991 season when they were noting the 200th anniversary of his death. Had one written down before AT finished reading the clue.

Which helps my otherwise miserable FJ week.
BKavett
Contributor

Post by BKavett »

According to Scott, who posts on another board I read, Ruth’s answer that she crossed out was Mozart. You can even make out an M at the beginning. Ouch, that’s going to haunt her for a while.

FJ was an instaget for me.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I got FJ right for a weird reason: I've been writing a philosophy paper about Richard Wagner's essay "Beethoven" and its relationship to Nietzsche's The Birth of Tragedy and Wagner mentions in passing Mozart's frailty and early death. Throw in the references to Vienna and the date, and it was pretty gettable, but I wouldn't have come up with the response otherwise, I'm sure.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:07 am But I do know who invented the Cotton Gin :roll:
Wasn't it Gilbey's? Sounds like it would taste terrible, so I'm not surprised they don't make it any more.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:37 pm Ooh, early 1790s, who famously died?

Instantly went to Jean-Paul Marat.

Oops.
Well, at least you took a stab at it.
OCSam
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

The category name mentioned 'aa' and the abbr in the clue was "AAR" and spotted us "average annual".

So that would turn the first two responses into average annual return and average annual revenue, both of which sound plausible.
OCSam
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

41 R
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Herb Brooks, Alcoa, Slides, Neck, Set Fire to the Rain
Douglas Squasoni
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,000
45 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Herb Brooks, Alcoa, slides, finch, Faith Evans

I had nothing on FJ! Tried to come up with someone from that era who would have been connected to London and/or Vienna, would have had reason to be poisoned, and wasn't royalty (figuring that the category title would have been different were it a royal). Not finding anyone who fit the bill, I scribbled out Frederick the Great just to have something. At least I was close in both time and geography?

I had to root for Ruth since works at my law-ma mater and was very nearly my co-worker a couple of years ago. Way to represent, Ruth!
Sprinkles are for winners.