FJs for the 6/25/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 6/25/18 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:50 pm

Though it doesn't have "island" in its name, it's named after a European island
68%
Getting its nickname from a capital, Dhallywood is the name for the film industry in this Asian country
69%
This annual event first held in 1934 includes play in areas named Pink Dogwood, Flowering Peach & Azalea
84%
The prologue of this tragedy is a sonnet whose rhymes include dignity & mutiny; scene & unclean; & life & strife
38%
Researchers in London & Vienna now speculate that his 1791 death was due to a strep infection, not poisoning
72%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
16%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION $2000: Not Lafayette but this French general brought his soldiers & maybe rocks, paper & scissors to Yorktown
57%
OLIVE MY LOVE $2000: Together with capers & anchovies, olives are a key ingredient in this French-named spread
39%
TV SHOW ENCYCLOPEDIAS & COMPANIONS $800: Check out “The Art of Ooo”, a look behind the scenes of this animated series
15%
United Arab Emirates or Indonesia was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
3%
I have been inside the grounds of Augusta National Golf Club to see The Masters in person.
2%
Macbeth was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
28%
Othello was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
8%
I have seen a stage production of "Amadeus."
4%
I have seen the 1984 movie "Amadeus."
43%

Total votes: 115

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 6/25/18 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE NAME ORIGINS

6/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Though it doesn't have "island" in its name, it's named after a European island

6/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL CINEMA

6/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Getting its nickname from a capital, Dhallywood is the name for the film industry in this Asian country

6/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPORTING EVENTS

6/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This annual event first held in 1934 includes play in areas named Pink Dogwood, Flowering Peach & Azalea

6/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE

6/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The prologue of this tragedy is a sonnet whose rhymes include dignity & mutiny; scene & unclean; & life & strife

6/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
18th CENTURY NOTABLES

6/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Researchers in London & Vienna now speculate that his 1791 death was due to a strep infection, not poisoning

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
New Jersey
Bangladesh
the Masters Tournament
Romeo and Juliet
Mozart

The players were 6/15 (40.00%) with a 1-0-3-2-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have a triple stumper sandwiched by one a player had correct and a requested one a player had correct.

THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION $2000: Not Lafayette but this French general brought his soldiers & maybe rocks, paper & scissors to Yorktown

OLIVE MY LOVE $2000: Together with capers & anchovies, olives are a key ingredient in this French-named spread

TV SHOW ENCYCLOPEDIAS & COMPANIONS $800: Check out “The Art of Ooo”, a look behind the scenes of this animated series

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Rochambeau
tapenade
Adventure Time
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 6/25/18 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :( 

Senegal
King Lear
heard of tapenade, but not enough to get it
no chance on Adventure Time as I've only heard of it though never seen it
Movie only for Amadeus
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Florida, MacBeth
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: Checking Indonesia & Macbeth for incorrect answers.
I saw the movie Amadeus as part of my high school history class :) We also got to see Gandhi.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

Saudi Arabia as a desperation guess. The "dh" comes at the end of Riyadh, but it was the best I had.

Have not been to Augusta.
Have never seen Amadeus in any form.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Wed - I forget what I scribbled. It wasn't anything golf related.

Never seen Adventure Time, but somewhre I picked up 'Ooo' through blogsmosis

Have never been to Augusta or even Georgia (not even on a plane transfer). Have only seen the movie Amadeus, not a stage version.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Hamlet, although I should have realized it doesn’t have a prologue.

Never been to Augusta, but watch the Masters every year.

Saw the movie Amadeus, never saw the play

Never heard of Adventure Time
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

:oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(
Monday's should have been the easiest, but I started by thinking of European islands instead of states. Crete? No. Sicily? No. Corsica? No.
Hoping for a third lap
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Oh, that sonnet. I thought some of the rhyming words pointed to Othello.

Vienna and 1791, plus the likelihood of "died young", pointed me to Mozart. London and the notion that "poisoning" was the recent conventional wisdom were noise I was able to block out.

Never heard of tapenade or Adventure Time. Have seen the movie Amadeus on video.

Have never been near Augusta, but I knew there were trees on golf courses.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Didn't get close to Jersey and stayed on the wrong continent Tues. No back-to-back geography FJs!!... :twisted:
I admit Rochambeau is a gap in my knowledge...at least I've heard of the other two... :oops:
I saw Ian McKellen as Salieri in Amadeus on Broadway...Tim Curry was the original Mozart, but I think I saw someone else...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:

I thought of tapenade, and I think I've had it, but I didn't know there were capers or anchovies in it, and I didn't know the name was French.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

M-Tu-W were instagets.
Went with Macbeth Thursday.
Got Mozart off Vienna and dying in 1791 but had totally forgotten about that dumb poisoning theory.

I know who Rochambeau was but might have clammed if the clue hadn't included the RPS tease-out.
Not sure I've ever heard of tapenade.
Adventure Time is the greatest animated series not named Baccano! or The Simpsons.

Only seen the movie version of Amadeus.
I would prefer not to.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

York, Senegal (though I knew it was wrong), blanked on the name, no idea, no idea.

We watched Amadeus in high school choir class, but I remember nothing from it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

The best I could come up with was Rose Bowl on Wednesday. I couldn't conceive of an annual sporting event going on in multiple areas. With the Flowering Peach area mentioned, even I should have been able to get it.
"Unclean" made me think of "out, damn spot," so Macbeth it was. I never considered trying to place any of the words into quotations; I might have been able to think of "both alike in dignity" and get to R&J if I had.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I wouldn't have rung in, but Roshambo is what I said from the couch off the rock-scissors-paper TOM. And that's what I would've guessed out of desperation for a DD. It was only after the fact that I realized Roshambo's spelling could be plausibly Frenchified. Still, I'm counting it.

I'm vaguely aware of tapenade but had no chance on that clue. I can identify the dog and the human from Adventure Time, but not by name. I have no further knowledge of the show.

Saw Amadeus twice in theaters and at least once more on VHS. It would probably make my list of Top 25 movies. Saw a stage production of it in Los Angeles in 1998 or 1999. David Suchet, probably best known for playing Hercule Poirot, was Salieri.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(

Only the nasty Master's tournament prevented the box of shame for me this week. The beauty of the game is that the same clue prevented at least two boardies so far from the box of glory 8-)

Couldn't overcome slow start on Islands looking for cognates of Sardinia, Malta, etc..
In 5 minutes probably would have settled on Cambodia for a WAG, but nothing in 30 seconds.
Picked Macbeth over Hamlet on the Marktiple choice.
Someone poisoned a COMPOSER?? Oh, never mind.

The PSA for those of us scratching our heads over the whole Rochambeau thing:

• In some circles, the decisive game of Rock, Paper, Scissors goes by another name: roshambo. In the U.S.,the term is more commonly used on the West Coast, especially in northern California. This week, the Slate podcast Lexicon Valley invited Wall Street Journal language columnist Ben Zimmer to dive into the origins of the moniker "roshambo."

According to certain legends, the term dates back to the Comte de Rochambeau, a French nobleman who fought against the British during the Revolutionary War (and gets a shoutout in hit musical Hamilton). His name served as a codeword at the battle of Yorktown, where he commanded the French troops.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If I had started with the 13 colonies on Monday, I probably would have gotten New Jersey. UAE should have been my incorrect guess on Tuesday, but I somehow had the incorrect notion that one of Abu Dhabi and Dubai was a subset of the other (rather than both being parts of UAE) so I said Dubai. Have not been to Augusta and was a bit lucky to get Wednesday's FJ correct.

I saw Amadeus on Broadway with Frank Langella as Salieri. Also saw the movie.

32335232[13ToC}31333432344332[2noTB]33334[43CC]33[22TT]234233,120-91
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
Worst week in a long time by far. Was thinking "Master's green jacket," but for some reason, said "U.S. Open" out loud, then clapped my hand over my mouth wondering, "Where did THAT come from?"

I knew many Shakespeare plays the opening wasn't from, but have actively avoided R&J for many decades after being dragged to see the Franco Zeffirelli film in high school. Maybe it was just a bad day, but I fell asleep about 20 minutes in.

Rochambeau was a forehead slap, but unfamiliar with the other two of the extra clues. A cardiac tamponade occurs when blood or other fluid fills the non-elastic pericardium and prevents the heart from filling during diastole, but I've never heard of "tapenade." Or "Adventure Time." All three of the extra clues would have been stand-and-stares for me.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:01 pm I saw Amadeus on Broadway with Frank Langella as Salieri. Also saw the movie.
Ooooh. Nice casting. Mrs. Penguin is impressed.