LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by Blue Lion »

RandyG wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:42 pm
I wagged Norwegian too; Royal Caribbean would have been my backup wag. I knew it wasn't any of these other biggies: Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity, Princess, Disney.
Same here. My initial thought was "Seabourn", but I backed away after seeing "many others" in the clue. That led me back to the biggies, and eventually to my wrong guess of Norwegian.

Strange week for me. I had two 9(6)-9(6) ties. The latter tie came courtesy of correct guesses of Mascara and Angels in America. The latter resulted from a process of elimination. There are far fewer memorable plays than memorable musicals, the first of the Angels in America plays won the Pulitzer in 1993, and I couldn't think of anything else.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I wrote:Tony Awards:
The Band's Visit, about an Egyptian military band's accidental trip to a small Israeli village, wins 10 Tonys, including Best Musical, Best Actor (Tony Shalhoub) and Best Actress (Katrina Lenk).

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child picks up Best Play along with 5 other Tonys, with Angels in America nabbing Best Revival of a Play, Best Lead Actor (Andrew Garfield) and Featured [i.e. Supporting] Actor (Nathan Lane). Once on This Island got Best Revival of a Musical.

Mean Girls and The Spongebob Squarepants Musical, lead nomination getters with 12 apiece, earned one award between them, for Scenic Design for Spongebob.
Thanks, me, for posting a recap of the Tonys in the current events thread.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Well, I've managed to stave off relegation. And I'll probably break 100 TCA barring some unbelievably rough questions these last three days.

So I got that goin for me, which is nice.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

After 4 straight losses and going 9/24 on the questions I got a much needed 7(5)-1(2) win yesterday. Angels in America was a lucky guess that I got only from the year. This has been a pretty rough season despite finally drinking my first beer, and I am not safe from relegation to E.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:31 am
But seriously, only 34% knew The Leatherstocking Tales?
Both my opponent and I got this right and we each gave each other zero points.

My opponent yesterday probably didn't think that I am regularly trying to be a Jeopardy contestant. I was assigned and received three points on the art question. Now art is one of my poorer categories but, as everyone here knows, Artist/Tahiti is Pavlovian for Gauguin. That gave me the win.

Like last season, I've followed a terrible start with a torrid finish. I still usually wind up with only three right each day so I guess that I'm very rusty on defense at the beginning of a season. After starting 1-6-2, I currently stand 9-9-4. I think that I probably belong in C League because I always wind up either just over or under .500 here.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

teapot37 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:25 am
I wrote:Tony Awards:
The Band's Visit, about an Egyptian military band's accidental trip to a small Israeli village, wins 10 Tonys, including Best Musical, Best Actor (Tony Shalhoub) and Best Actress (Katrina Lenk).

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child picks up Best Play along with 5 other Tonys, with Angels in America nabbing Best Revival of a Play, Best Lead Actor (Andrew Garfield) and Featured [i.e. Supporting] Actor (Nathan Lane). Once on This Island got Best Revival of a Musical.

Mean Girls and The Spongebob Squarepants Musical, lead nomination getters with 12 apiece, earned one award between them, for Scenic Design for Spongebob.
Thanks, me, for posting a recap of the Tonys in the current events thread.
I'm pretty sure that's what reinforced it for me too, so add one to your thanks pile.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

georgespelvin wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:38 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:31 am
But seriously, only 34% knew The Leatherstocking Tales?
Both my opponent and I got this right and we each gave each other zero points.

My opponent yesterday probably didn't think that I am regularly trying to be a Jeopardy contestant. I was assigned and received three points on the art question. Now art is one of my poorer categories but, as everyone here knows, Artist/Tahiti is Pavlovian for Gauguin. That gave me the win.
Good for you! I also assigned 3 to a low art score opponent, and she got it, but I still think it's the right play. As opposed to say, American Gothic, which got a 0, even for a low art player.

Did you also get Carthage/Tunis(ia)? That's a good one to remember, if not.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I had a 6/6. I led off with Algiers but it bothered me & Carthage swayed me to Tunis. The next four were instagets & I had no idea about the play except I figured it was a gay play & AiA is the most famous one.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Had a breakeven week with three ties, slightly outdefended by my opponents overall. Still, I assured myself of a winning record for the season, for the first time in A as far as I recall.

Toughest miss was on the Ed Sheeran question, as in the end I had it down to him and Sam Smith. I guessed though that Thorsten's use of the word "English" when he might have said "British" was a nudge toward someone with an English surname.

My opponent quite reasonably zeroed me on Gauguin, though I did get cold enough feat to delete "Paul" when I remembered Paul Cezanne. I thought it more likely I was confused about the first name than that there was another Gauguin to demand more specificity.
I'm smart and I want respect.
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:09 pm
georgespelvin wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:38 pm
Good for you! I also assigned 3 to a low art score opponent, and she got it, but I still think it's the right play. As opposed to say, American Gothic, which got a 0, even for a low art player.

No, I did not know that. Now I will though (I hope). :)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The good news is I've vaulted to the middle of my rundle and am going to avoid relegation to E.

The bad news is I had no idea on that mascara question. 88%? Ouch. Maybe I deserve to be in E.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

georgespelvin wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:02 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:09 pm

No, I did not know that. Now I will though (I hope). :)
I wouldn't have known that except for having recently watched a PBS Secrets of the Dead episode on Hannibal. Quite interesting how the documentary, historical and geographical clues led to figuring out his most likely route through the Alps. Re LL, the combination of station names immediately pointed to North Africa; Carthage made Tunis the best guess.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I knew that Carthage was in North Africa from watching the movie Patton, but I guessed the wrong country.

I wish there was some way to see the percentages of the people who got mascara based on their gender. I played another woman and assigned it a zero, but I don't know what I would have done if I were playing a man.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

clprez wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:55 pm I knew that Carthage was in North Africa from watching the movie Patton, but I guessed the wrong country.

I wish there was some way to see the percentages of the people who got mascara based on their gender. I played another woman and assigned it a zero, but I don't know what I would have done if I were playing a man.
I am a man and I got it right. I was playing a man who also got it right and we assigned each other one point. I gave zero for the play (he is from New Jersey with a high theater score) and he gave me zero for jumping the shark. Both of us got our zero pointer right.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

I said "eye liner" instead of mascara. No soap. I've occasionally had to wear mascara for stage makeup.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

clprez wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:55 pm I knew that Carthage was in North Africa from watching the movie Patton, but I guessed the wrong country.
I guessed the right country. Problem is...I guessed a country...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

MD 22 was the first day in a week my opponent decided not to forfeit, so of course I didn't do so good and managed to lose. 3 points away from promotion, but I don't think I'll be able to jump the 2 others in the way.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Unless I forfeit, I will be back in D next season. Nice to not be sweating that the last week of the season for a change.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Bad defense cost me the match. I never knew that England's second most populous city had such a notable term associated with it for its residents.

I'm also surprised that more people didn't pull "strengths," though I could be biased given all the bad performances that I have given in job interviews over the years. I guess the mention of resume may have thrown people off, since I have never known your "Strengths" to be something that should go on your resume.

Also, I threw out John Wayne as a guess on the Elvis Presley question earlier in the season, but the former did not even occur to me as a guess yesterday!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:00 pm MD 22 was the first day in a week my opponent decided not to forfeit, so of course I didn't do so good and managed to lose. 3 points away from promotion, but I don't think I'll be able to jump the 2 others in the way.
You’ll always be Rundle D to me

FML. Took a loooong time to come up with STRENGTHS, had John Wayne immediately (also my wrong answer for Elvis), but changed him at the last minute and it cost me the match! I’m soooo close to relegation I can feel the zombie fingers scraping the soles of my Balenciagas