TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Final Results

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge - Final Results

Post by morbeedo »

Welcome to TD 387 - morbeedo’s Revenge :twisted:

1. Submit your entry by end of day Monday, July 9 via Google survey
2. Use your brain, not your smartphone
3. DROP one question for zero points
4. SHEEP one question and take points for the most common answer in that round
5. Wrong answers = SHEEP (most common answer) + 5 points
6. Ten bonus points up for grabs - but BEWARE! - wrong answers will be penalized by the same number of points, except when marked NO PENALTY
7. Make my life easier! Just submit your response - no need to reference any other information from the clue
8. REPLY or PM with any questions or corrections

PARTICIPANTS
Spoiler
  1. MarkBarrett
  2. Saturnalia
  3. casketromance
  4. Gamawire
  5. Magna
  6. floridagator
  7. squarekara
  8. 1stlvlthinker
  9. Troydozzy
  10. Tybalteon
  11. Enormous Jeans
  12. twelvefootboy
  13. ElendilPickle
  14. Peachbox
  15. clt013
  16. SenseiCAY
  17. AFRET CMS
  18. bev nar
  19. threearruda
  20. classicroadster
  21. xxaaaxx
  22. psgola
  23. Sims
  24. econgator
  25. Quantum
  26. sillymoose
  27. RJRouge
  28. Vintsanity
  29. badgerfellow
  30. Mastercone
  31. heppm01
  32. Woof
  33. 9021amyers
  34. guessonguessonguess
  35. MattKnowles
  36. spell4yr
1. JUST DANCE
Name any novelty or fad dance from the 1950s or later

Bonus (-1) Name the French folk dance mentioned in a 1972 song whose title, according to the artist, teases the identity of three men – not just one?

2. ALSO A PRESIDENT
Name the U.S. president who shares his name with one of the following people or terms (last name only please). Note: some names sound the same but are spelled differently. I guess that makes them homophones ;)
Spoiler
  • Spoiler Alert! AMC took heat for killing off Kim Dickens’ badass leading lady on Fear the Walking Dead
  • In a 1971 novel, this troubled tween starts playing with a Ouija board, Captain Howdy takes over and heads go spinning
  • Actress whose character on Golden Girls tried out for Jeopardy! but never got The Call
  • Amy or Pell
  • Former MTV VJ and host of Alternative Nation with her own show on Fox Business Network
  • In a 2000 film, dependable friend of FedEx employee Chuck Noland; also the last name of the actor’s wife
  • Driver, West and Rippon
  • Scandal-plagued Olympian who took up professional boxing after being banned for life from her first sport in 1994
  • Writer/director whose 1999 indie launched the career of its breakout star with an Oscar winning lead role (sorry, Annette!)
  • Brand name for a common household product used as a verb, mainly in British English
  • This embattled Trump nominee: "I expected tough questions about how to best care for our veterans, but I did not expect to have to dignify baseless and anonymous attacks on my character and integrity."
  • She became the first African-American model to appear on the cover of American Vogue in August 1974
Bonus (-1) Name the rapper: Hey, yo, Anna, hey yo Anna Wintour, I'ma need that cover baby girl, it's Pink Friday, ya dig

3. ON FILM
Name any one of these films
Spoiler
4. TENNIS GREATS
Name any tennis player who has won a career Grand Slam (i.e., winning all four major tournaments at any point in their career)

Bonus (-1) Name the only athlete who has achieved the Golden Slam - winning all four Grand Slam events and Olympic gold in the same calendar year NO PENALTY

5. THEY WROTE THAT?
Name the author of one of these lesser-known works
Spoiler
  • Sentimental Education (1869)
  • Buddenbrooks (1901)
  • Vile Bodies (1930)
  • The Children's Hour (1934)
  • The Devils of Loudon (1952)
  • Pale Fire (1962)
  • The Boys from Brazil (1976)
  • Legion (1983)
  • The Blind Assassin (2000)
  • The Constant Gardener (2001)
  • Sharp Objects (2006)
  • Eating Animals (2009)
6. ACTORS & ACTRESS
Name any one of these actors
Spoiler
Bonus (-1) What distinction do these movie people share?

7. SCOTUS
A very topical question! Name one of these landmark Supreme Court decisions. Full case name required unless commonly known by an abridged name
Spoiler
  • 1857 The Constitution does not consider slaves to be U.S. citizens. Rather, they are constitutionally protected property of their masters
  • 1896 Jim Crow laws are constitutional under the doctrine of ‘Separate but Equal’
  • 1944 The need to protect against espionage outweighs the rights of Americans of Japanese descent
  • 1954 In the field of public education, the doctrine of ‘separate but equal’ has no place
  • 1965 A state law that criminalizes the use of contraception by married couples is unconstitutional because all Americans have a constitutionally protected right to privacy
  • 1966 Police must advise criminal suspects of their rights under the Constitution to remain silent, to consult with a lawyer, and to have one appointed to them if they are indigent
  • 1967 Ending all race-based legal restrictions on marriage in the United States
  • 1973 The right to privacy implied by the Constitution protects a woman’s choice in matters of abortion
  • 1974 Neither separation of powers, nor the need for confidentiality can sustain unqualified Presidential immunity from the judicial process
  • 1989 The Constitution protects desecration of the flag as a form of symbolic speech
  • 2010 Limits on corporate and union political expenditures during election cycles violate the Free Speech Clause of the First Amendment
  • 2015 Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization's oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law
Bonus (-1) Name the presiding chief justice for the case you selected

8. A GAME FROM ATARI
Identify one of these classic Atari video games
Spoiler
Bonus (-1) In season 2 of Stranger Things, Dustin and friends are stunned to discover that a mysterious player named MADMAX has unearthed a new high score in what classic arcade game? NO PENALTY

9. PARKS AND RECREATION
Name a U.S. state that does not have a national park. Note: the National Park designation does not include national monuments, preserves, historic areas or other federally recognized sites

10. DOW REJECTS
Name any company dropped from the DJIA since its inception in 1896

Bonus (-1) Which company just replaced General Electric in the Dow?

11. STATE CAPITALS
Name a state capital within a 500 mile radius of the geographic center of the contiguous United States

Bonus (-3) Can you guess the SHEEP? NO PENALTY

12. LOVE STORY
Name the primary romantic interest of any one of the following characters
Spoiler
  • Wall-E
  • Maggie the Cat (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof)
  • Edmond Dantès (Count of Monte Cristo)
  • Rosalind (As You Like it)
  • Judge Turpin (Sweeney Todd)
  • Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory)
  • Sally Brown (Charlie Brown)
  • Bella Swan (Twilight)
  • Therese (The Price of Salt)
  • Oliver (Call Me by Your Name)
  • Pip (Great Expectations)
  • Medea
  • Lord Sebastian Flyte (Brideshead Revisited)
13. COMPOSERS
Name any composer of classical music born in the years between the start of the French Revolution and the Battle of Waterloo, inclusive

14. EVIL SPELLING BEE :twisted:
Perfect spelling required. If your answer is misspelled, then it's wrong!
Spoiler
  • Chemical element Bk
  • Chemical element P
  • Capital of Burkina Faso (O)
  • Capital of Bhutan (T)
  • Capital of Honduras (T)
  • Southernmost city in the world, located at the tip of Argentina in the province of Tierra del Fuego (U)
  • First name of Lady Bird and Brooklyn actress, Ronan (S)
  • Best Supporting Actor Oscar Winner, Ali, for Moonlight (M)
  • Best Actor Oscar Winner, Matthew, for Dallas Buyer’s Club (M)
  • Russian Far East peninsula (K)
  • Third highest mountain in the world, straddling Nepal and India (K)
  • Aztec god whose name means “feathered serpent” (Q)
Good luck!
Last edited by morbeedo on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: TD387 - morbeedo's Revenge

Post by Ironhorse »

The image for question 6 is broken.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

On question one, are "novelty" and "fad" nouns, or adjectives referring to "dance"? I assume the latter given the question title?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Saturnalia wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:52 pm On question one, are "novelty" and "fad" nouns, or adjectives referring to "dance"? I assume the latter given the question title?
Adjectives. I reworded the question to make a distinction between novelty (unique, humorous) and fad (dance craze popular for a short time)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:25 pm The image for question 6 is broken.
Thanks. Fixed it
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

lol about the title of your TD, morbeedo!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Quantum wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:33 pm lol about the title of your TD, morbeedo!
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

Well, I totally blew one both by spelling and something else. It wasn't on the question where spelling was the entirety of the score, but it's still embarrassing.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

RJRouge wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:19 am Well, I totally blew one both by spelling and something else. It wasn't on the question where spelling was the entirety of the score, but it's still embarrassing.
What’s embarrassing is that you didn’t submit via Google Survey so your entry doesn’t count!

Other things that make it harder for your smith to grade this TD:
-using extraneous characters: SHEEP!, *DROP*, Is it Scott Pruitt’s wife!?!?!?!?
-giving a full name when I specified LAST NAME ONLY

Attention must be paid! :twisted:

Oh. I added a comment section at the bottom of the form for kudos and expletives
Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Post by Tybalteon »

Regarding Question #11, is this the geographic center of the contiguous United States or all 50?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Tybalteon wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:04 am Regarding Question #11, is this the geographic center of the contiguous United States or all 50?
There are 50 states now?! Yes, the contiguous 48
Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Post by Tybalteon »

Cheeky haha. Thank you :P
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

One of the reasons I dropped that question is because of the ambiguity about which geographic center he's asking for.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:59 am One of the reasons I dropped that question is because of the ambiguity about which geographic center he's asking for.
I know the theme is morbeedo’s revenge, but I wouldn’t expect anyone to know the geographic center of the 50 United States. I’m probably underestimating this group but I’m not that sadistic - the evil spelling bee is as twisted as it gets. In any event, my playtesters have all been fired!

Any of you who have already submitted can PM me if you’d like to amend your submission #creamoftartar
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:53 am What’s embarrassing is that you didn’t submit via Google Survey so your entry doesn’t count!

Oh. I added a comment section at the bottom of the form for kudos and expletives
Note to self: Don't do these past midnight.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

RJRouge wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:14 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:53 am What’s embarrassing is that you didn’t submit via Google Survey so your entry doesn’t count!

Note to self: Don't do these past midnight.
Well, since you're a newbie, we'll let it slide this time ;)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

BUMP

I've tried to update the participant list for the 3rd time. Maybe this one'll be the charm

18 entrants so far. ONLY 18?! Put down your hot dogs and submit already! Don't be put off by the theme :twisted:

I'm reaching out to some of you who SHEEPed every other question, left No Penalty Bonus questions blank, need a BMS, etc.

If you would like to thank me for hosting again, you might take inspiration from Scott Pruitt's resignation letter. Or just scream at me. Any and all comments appreciated
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:19 pm If you would like to thank me for hosting again, you might take inspiration from Scott Pruitt's resignation letter.
Hmm.... soliciting "unrelenting attacks on you personally, your family." Very brave, but I suppose we could try to accommodate.

Um, before we get started, has your father perchance ever smelt of elderberries? Knowing that could be helpful what direction to take.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

This was really hard and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have at least 3 wrong answers.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

sims wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:37 am This was really hard and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have at least 3 wrong answers.
Yikes! Well I’m glad you played anyway

Only 23 entries so far and this TD closes at the end of the day, so tick tock, Clarisse