Monday, July 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, July 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

The ghost of Hamlet's father never mentions a porcupine, so that was an odd clue, especially for the $400 box. The correct response is "what is a porpentine?" Same animal, but not the same name or pronunciation. The accepted and presumably expected response was simply incorrect. (Note: Don't bother quoting me from some Hamlet script that has the word "porcupine" in it. Lots of them do but as far as I know that's an emendation from the original. Shakespeare never used the word.)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:18 pm The ghost of Hamlet's father never mentions a porcupine, so that was an odd clue, especially for the $400 box. The correct response is "what is a porpentine?" Same animal, but not the same name or pronunciation. The accepted and presumably expected response was simply incorrect. (Note: Don't bother quoting me from some Hamlet script that has the word "porcupine" in it. Lots of them do but as far as I know that's an emendation from the original. Shakespeare never used the word.)
The clue doesn't require a quotation, it requires "this animal."
Last edited by davey on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:35 pm I never track such things (including today) but I’m positive I’d’ve won today on Lach Trash alone.
Really? Suzanne entered FJ with $16200. A quick check says there's only $12800 in trash. Even if you picked it all up you'd have lost to her rational bet and correct response.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

sarisson wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:44 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:28 pm Keely Smith/Louis Prima seems like a very obscure pairing unless you're over 70 years old. Curious if anyone here got this right.
(raises hand) He's a big deal where I'm from, because we have a large Italian-American population and one of his ex-wives used to live in the county until her death.
Our middle challenger has no entry on sports-reference, so he must not have been a quarterback, running back, wide receiver, kicker, punter, kick/punt returner, cornerback, safety, or anyone who ever touched the ball. I did find his Stanford athletic profile though:
https://gostanford.com/sports/2013/4/17/208440270.aspx
Knew FJ would be a triple get, since it spotted you a Chinese name and a "title group."
Had to dig for it, but this article has him listed as a defensive end, wearing #91. Confirms the Stanford article you listed: http://articles.latimes.com/2000/jan/01/sports/sp-49680

Is this the same Rose Bowl referenced in Futurama?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

badgerfellow wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:44 pm Is this the same Rose Bowl referenced in Futurama?
Indeed it is -- Fry's mother bet on Wisconsin, if I recall correctly.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

trainman wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:53 pm
badgerfellow wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:44 pm Is this the same Rose Bowl referenced in Futurama?
Indeed it is -- Fry's mother bet on Wisconsin, if I recall correctly.
now THIS is a fun fact! :lol: You can't make this stuff up. Glad to know I'm not alone in my guilty pleasure of watching Futurama. I heard Katy Sagal on Terri Gross' show (can't pull the name) and she never mentioned voicing Leela in a 30 minute interview. I was so disappointed. I wonder if there's some corporate bs involved?

I think the FJ clue needed the year to help people like me who only see these titles in airport bookstores. Not that I'll ever get a fiction clue, especially a modern work or beach reading. :roll:

I thought Scott was going out with a whimper, but he raised it to a bang. Great game by Suze (my Seinfeld gag reference here).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

econgator wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:55 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:28 pm Keely Smith/Louis Prima seems like a very obscure pairing unless you're over 70 years old. Curious if anyone here got this right.
Can't say I've heard of either of these people.
Keely Smith was one of my dad's favorites, and the Disneyland Storyteller LP version of "Jungle Book" alone was enough to make me a lifelong disciple of Louis Prima.

Louis and Keely doing their uptempo version of "That Ol' Black Magic"

Louis goofs around on "Night Train" with Sam Butera:

Here Louis chimes in with Butera doing lead vocal:
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Wpwells wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:15 pm Asian book from 1989 = Joy Luck Club. 1/1 and 12 in a row
yup...very pavlovian and i don't know much about books...probably only ever read 5 books in their entirety
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i thought that woman was going to blow it by not hunting for that last daily double...she kept going to the top of the categories...when you have a commanding lead like that look for the daily doubles to make sure don't give the bottom feeders hope...poor strategy
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:13 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:30 pm That was a rough start to the game with two players still in the red at DD1. BOOK OF THE MONTH wanted a response with a month of the year. One of the 12. Seems simple enough, yet grasping that categorical hint seemed to fly over the heads of the players.
That was pretty odd, particularly since they got the first two. That was $2400 easy money left on the table.

And yes, leave out the year on the FJ and it's a lot tougher. Still, a little surprised that it was a triple get.
i still go with the joy lucky club without the year...only book with asian characters i can name...besides...i actually thought it was written in the 90s and not the 80s....still went with it, well...because, again, it is the only book with asian characters i can name
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:02 pm
hscer wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:07 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:30 pm That was a rough start to the game with two players still in the red at DD1. BOOK OF THE MONTH wanted a response with a month of the year. One of the 12. Seems simple enough, yet grasping that categorical hint seemed to fly over the heads of the players.
We also had two guesses of countries in the Islands category in DJ.
I can excuse the player who said Japan, but the player who said The Philippines was just asking for it.
why excuse japan and not pinas?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

floridagator wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:25 pm I am nonplussed that none of the contestants figured out the theme of book of the Month Club.
yeah that was pretty ridiculous that they remained clueless
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

davey wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:31 pm Here's a Chinese- (well, Singaporean-) American noveiist who might be on J! in the future, because there's a movie coming out...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Rich_Asians
and of course the singaporeons aren't happy about how they are going to be portrayed...that country sure bitches and moans more than any other nation in the world when it comes to pop culture fiction....i remember there was total uproar by singaporeons when an episode of criminal minds: beyond borders aired that was set in singapore....bellyaching to no end...they don't understand fiction and reality i guess
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:35 pm I never track such things (including today) but I’m positive I’d’ve won today on Lach Trash alone.
same...think i got 80 percent of the ones they missed
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:31 pm
Really? Suzanne entered FJ with $16200. A quick check says there's only $12800 in trash. Even if you picked it all up you'd have lost to her rational bet and correct response.
but you know there are 3 contestants on an episode of jeopardy...take her off and put in replace her with a person who picked up the trash and throw in some strategy like not hunting for the daily doubles to lock them out, then there you go
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:28 pm
Keely Smith/Louis Prima seems like a very obscure pairing unless you're over 70 years old. Curious if anyone here got this right.
Got it, and I'm younger than 70.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:18 pm The ghost of Hamlet's father never mentions a porcupine, so that was an odd clue, especially for the $400 box. The correct response is "what is a porpentine?" Same animal, but not the same name or pronunciation. The accepted and presumably expected response was simply incorrect. (Note: Don't bother quoting me from some Hamlet script that has the word "porcupine" in it. Lots of them do but as far as I know that's an emendation from the original. Shakespeare never used the word.)
That reminds me of this FJ, to which Joan la Pucelle was never mentioned as the correct response.
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:46 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:31 pm
but you know there are 3 contestants on an episode of jeopardy...take her off and put in replace her with a person who picked up the trash and throw in some strategy like not hunting for the daily doubles to lock them out, then there you go
That's not how Lach Trash works.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

squarekara wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:22 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:55 pm
Can't say I've heard of either of these people.
Keely Smith was one of my dad's favorites, and the Disneyland Storyteller LP version of "Jungle Book" alone was enough to make me a lifelong disciple of Louis Prima.
My fun fact concerning Prima is that he wrote Sing Sing Sing.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

44 R
DD: 2/3 (Pablo Picasso, Flower Power)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Criminal Minds, Bread and Butter(AGAIN!!!), Octobers, June, January, Louis Prima, Bull and Cow, Phoenix
Douglas Squasoni
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Danish Food & Drink (2), Government ABCs (2), Small-Screen Crime Fighters (4), Born & Died (5), Book of the Month (4), Anagram Pairs (1)
Shakespearean Menagerie (3), Male & Female Words (2), On the Island (3), American History (5), Communication (2), Musical "P"erformers (2)

Lach Trash: Criminal Minds, NCIS: Los Angeles/NCIS: New Orleans, Octobers, June, phoenix

Instaget FJ.