TCONA 8

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

TCONA 8

Post by boson »

The Trivia Conference of North America (note the name change) http://qnatrivia.com/trivia-championshi ... h-america/ is slated to take place in Las Vegas August 3-5. I know many boardies have attended in the past and spoken highly of it.

This year the organization seems a little slow - does anyone know more about it? Anyone planning on attending?

cmp146 and I have grand-parental babysitting planned for that time, and we'll be in the US the weekend before anyhow so we're seriously considering attending. We're just a little worried that it might not happen at all.

The sign-up page has few details, and the facebook group ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/TCONA/ ) has some slightly worrying comments from both past attendees and the organizers.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: TCONA 8

Post by triviawayne »

it is happening, there will be a full schedule, all worries have been proven for naught--see you there!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

I am planning to attend for the first time this year. It would be awesome to see some Boardies in real life!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:15 pm it is happening, there will be a full schedule, all worries have been proven for naught--see you there!
Thanks - though I still see no schedule or much other indication of life. How can you reassure me and others who might want to sign up?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I'm planning to attend; I've been to the last three and it's a lot of fun.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

boson wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:07 am
triviawayne wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:15 pm it is happening, there will be a full schedule, all worries have been proven for naught--see you there!
Thanks - though I still see no schedule or much other indication of life. How can you reassure me and others who might want to sign up?
I will say that Tony has the money of many of us who signed up back in August, including some significant voices in the trivia world, would seem pretty detrimental to his business to not follow through with the event after people have paid. It’s true they are way behind the usual timeline of putting out schedules of events and having sign-ups, but this is hardly a first, lots of previous tconas leaned pretty far to the unorganized side but fun is always had by all regardless.

There are a couple key events missing from last year, notably learned league live and last quizzer standing, i’m hoping that something exciting comes in to fill the void, but I’ll be there regardless.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Thanks all - I don't want to be a doubter - I believe it will happen and we're planning on going. But triviawayne did say "all worries have been proven for naught"... I don't see the proof, just some people in good faith planning to go.

We'll look into booking tickets over the next few days.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

boson wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:04 pm Thanks all - I don't want to be a doubter - I believe it will happen and we're planning on going. But triviawayne did say "all worries have been proven for naught"... I don't see the proof, just some people in good faith planning to go.

We'll look into booking tickets over the next few days.
I can't say for sure since I've only been to one TCONA, and that plan came together about two weeks ahead of the event, but I don't remember any actual schedule coming out too early for any year. Someone can correct me, but I believe the schedule with the events and timeslots have always been put out in July?

For reassurance, you can look into the Facebook page and see where several events have been confirmed.

It is my understanding through the grapevine that Thorston can't make it this year and that is the only reason LL Live isn't scheduled. So unless he gets the material together and allows someone else to present it, yeah, it won't happen at this one.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Bumping this thread to say that cmp146 and I have booked tickets/hotel/conference for TCONA8! We're looking forward to it - haven't been to something like this since the last NAQT Nationals I went to last century... but this sounds way more fun.

Anyone want to join us on a quizbowl team?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I will definitely be there for my fourth TCONA, and I encourage any fence-sitters to get in on the action. It really is a fantastic experience.

I'm not sure yet where I'll be staying, but if I end up at the Trop I'd be happy to host a boardie get-together.
Sprinkles are for winners.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:19 am I will definitely be there for my fourth TCONA, and I encourage any fence-sitters to get in on the action. It really is a fantastic experience.

I'm not sure yet where I'll be staying, but if I end up at the Trop I'd be happy to host a boardie get-together.
I'm flying in Thursday afternoon. Not sure if I'm doing the not-a-race or not, but that is taking place Thursday evening.

Also, look for the marathon game of: 500 Questions, No Really, There Are 500 Questions.

A 3-hour marathon of a buzzer game for up to 24 players, registration information to come out later.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:19 am I will definitely be there for my fourth TCONA, and I encourage any fence-sitters to get in on the action. It really is a fantastic experience.

I'm on the fence! Do people try to do most events or just a few? Is it too late to sign up - are any events full? Is it any fun if I go alone? Or if someone comes with me to Vegas but doesn't do the trivia? How many people attend?
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

I have been wanting to go there since 2011, but money has always been an issue and I sometimes end up going elsewhere for a vacation. As of now, a friend of mine in Australia and I agreed that if both of our schedules work out, we will be attending there for the first time this year. If not, there is always next year.
Just a person who loves game shows.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm on the fence! Do people try to do most events or just a few? Is it too late to sign up - are any events full? Is it any fun if I go alone? Or if someone comes with me to Vegas but doesn't do the trivia? How many people attend?
Do it—GO!

Everyone tries to do as much as possible, but you can’t possibly do it all.

There is still room in QB & Trash, plus so much is just show up
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

If you are going to ever go, go this year.

I sense the event is on shaky financial footing. I should say, its operator has even admitted that the financial situation is bad.

There is a nonzero chance it folds before next year, or is sold to a larger corporate entity. In the latter case I suspect it will look very different from past TCONAs.

Even if those events don’t transpire, it may continue to shed content providers. Three major events on last year’s schedule are not on this year’s schedule.

So, go now.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Austin Powers wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:47 am If you are going to ever go, go this year.

I sense the event is on shaky financial footing. I should say, its operator has even admitted that the financial situation is bad.

There is a nonzero chance it folds before next year, or is sold to a larger corporate entity. In the latter case I suspect it will look very different from past TCONAs.

Even if those events don’t transpire, it may continue to shed content providers. Three major events on last year’s schedule are not on this year’s schedule.

So, go now.
One of those "major" events (I'm not sure what the criteria is for major) would be Learned League. Thorston could not make it and didn't want someone else to proctor it at TCONA, so that is the reason it is off the schedule. Nothing more, nothing less for that event.

Last Quizzer Standing is I'm guessing another "major" event? That is off the schedule because Josh Woo is unable to attend this year, and is busy with other things; so he couldn't even write it and have someone else host it. This is exactly the reason "500 Questions, No Really, There Are 500 Questions" came about, and is on the schedule.

I can't guess what the third "major" event is that you are referring to, but the explanation may be as simple as the above events.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

The third major event is the Hot 100/IQA event.

You know, I haven’t posted here in months, and yet I bothered to drop by to offer that little bit of info.

It is reasonable to assume that I might know something more about these behind-the-scenes issues than you.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I attended in 2014 and 2015 and won't be able to make it this year. I enjoyed TCONA (especially in 2014) but going back hasn't been high up on my to do list, given a limited travel budget and there being other places that I want to go. But I am helping to write the quiz bowl tournament for the second year in a row.

It's a shame to hear the news AP is reporting, because it is a fun event with lots of great people. I recommend going if you haven't.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Austin Powers wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:19 pm The third major event is the Hot 100/IQA event.

You know, I haven’t posted here in months, and yet I bothered to drop by to offer that little bit of info.

It is reasonable to assume that I might know something more about these behind-the-scenes issues than you.
It is also reasonable to assume someone presenting a game at the event in question would have knowledge most people don't; especially some person that "hasn't posted here in months", and has an anonymous screen name, but if you want to be unreasonable, go for it.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:58 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:19 pm The third major event is the Hot 100/IQA event.

It is also reasonable to assume someone presenting a game at the event in question would have knowledge most people don't; especially some person that "hasn't posted here in months", and has an anonymous screen name, but if you want to be unreasonable, go for it.
I guess we’ll see!