LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by teapot37 »

Two days to go.

This has been my best season statistically and this is my best chance yet to win A rundle. I am leading, but on a MPD tiebreaker. We top two are 5 points clear of 3rd, so one of us is going to win the rundle. My last two opponents are currently 4th and 8th in the rundle, and 2nd is playing 11th and 21st. I guess I just gotta keep answering the questions correctly and hope for the best.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:01 am
1stlvlthinker wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:00 pm MD 22 was the first day in a week my opponent decided not to forfeit, so of course I didn't do so good and managed to lose. 3 points away from promotion, but I don't think I'll be able to jump the 2 others in the way.
You’ll always be Rundle D to me

FML. Took a loooong time to come up with STRENGTHS, had John Wayne immediately (also my wrong answer for Elvis), but changed him at the last minute and it cost me the match! I’m soooo close to relegation I can feel the zombie fingers scraping the soles of my Balenciagas
Heh, I think I do belong in D, given where people historically sit with TCAs and stuff.

2 days to go, and I'm still 3 points away from promotion, but now I'm only one place away. I also play the 3rd place player on the last match day, but if he wins today, it's a moot point no matter what I do.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Won yesterday 3(3)- 0(0), beating nightreign I believe, to guarantee promotion to D next year. Like others John Wayne was my answer to the Elvis question a few match days ago, and was confident of it this time. I also got Warren Commission by researching the Ford VP question from the MSC, although I'd like to think I'd have gotten there eventually. Strengths took me about 20 minutes of fruitlessly writing down words associated with a resume and trying to think of synonyms. Finally I just decided to start writing consonant strings that could possibly result in long words, and started with str... and strengths appeared on my page! Also had the MCW answers with Brussels and acid, and got as far as van on the science q but could not pull the rest of the name.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

My chance to win an A rundle evaporated a few days ago... losing 3 days in a row will do that. My schedule was back-end heavy, facing the current top 3 in Magnolia on days 22,23 and 24. I'm having my best season ever - on track for 120 correct answers. This is way above my previous average.

Congrats to Teapot37, who has wrapped up the Rundle in the Jundle championship! I don't think it was ever in doubt.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm feeling pretty good. Moved into first after yesterday and my final two opponents are currently ranked 24th and 25th in my rundle!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Thus season I feel like the Argentina* of LL: great offense, lousy defense. I’ve managed to avoid relegation by finishing middle of the pack, and behind both Teapot37 and Boson in RitJ.

*Gratuitous World Cup reference
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

I'm on pace for my highest TCA in five seasons, but it's still possible for me to be relegated. Compared to other seasons, I've felt like I had a shot at the science and math questions, which means that it's been on of the most enjoyable so far.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

After several weeks of dogged pursuit of ScottMD, tied in pts and well behind in MPD, I fell into first place yesterday when ScottMD faltered. I only got 4 but pulled out a win. I do not enjoy live learned league; the 4 minutes go by way too fast for my leisurely thought processes (sluggish mind?). Today I am playing a ghost, so unless I lose tomorrow against ProctorK and ScottMD wins both his matches, I don't like my chances of avoiding the live game. I made the tourney once before and played live in Las Vegas; found it excruciatingly pressureful. I'll try to savor the experience this time, should it come to pass. My TCA this season is just above average for me, my defense is mediocre, just shy of .700, but my record is far better than I have seen since my first two seasons, with only 2 losses and 4 ties.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Boy did it take me a long time to get strengths. I kept thinking that I should come back to it later because I knew it would be a facepalm after I submitted and saw the answer. A week or so ago, I found a website called Ask a Manager where I spent a couple of hours reading some of her advice, so I just knew that I should know it. Words beginning with str was on my short list of starting letters, but I just didn't look into ending letters for a long time and as soon as I did, I got it.

I got 4 of the 6 questions, which is usually good for a win or a tie in a D Rundle, but my opponent forfeited.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I pulled my first Buckner. My opponent wasn't strong in Art; I had no idea the wax question would be the only one he would get.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

bomtr wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:59 pm After several weeks of dogged pursuit of ScottMD, tied in pts and well behind in MPD, I fell into first place yesterday when ScottMD faltered. I only got 4 but pulled out a win. I do not enjoy live learned league; the 4 minutes go by way too fast for my leisurely thought processes (sluggish mind?). Today I am playing a ghost, so unless I lose tomorrow against ProctorK and ScottMD wins both his matches, I don't like my chances of avoiding the live game. I made the tourney once before and played live in Las Vegas; found it excruciatingly pressureful. I'll try to savor the experience this time, should it come to pass. My TCA this season is just above average for me, my defense is mediocre, just shy of .700, but my record is far better than I have seen since my first two seasons, with only 2 losses and 4 ties.
In the matches that ghost actually plays (including mine of course), she's 7-5-1. Despite being your most prolific whipping boy, I'm rooting for you even if you're not sure you want to win it.

Hate to think where I'd be absent two forfeit wins.
In and out of the pool four times
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

What is a ghost player?
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:09 pm What is a ghost player?
Wish I knew, Bama, but this A rundle player has 2 forfeits and 8 of her last 11 matches she has recorded 0(0) scores. I have seen no explanation. In season 74, in a B rundle, she also had two forfeits and her last 15 matches were 0(0) scores. There but not really there.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

bomtr wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:10 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:09 pm What is a ghost player?
Wish I knew, Bama, but this A rundle player has 2 forfeits and 8 of her last 11 matches she has recorded 0(0) scores. I have seen no explanation. In season 74, in a B rundle, she also had two forfeits and her last 15 matches were 0(0) scores. There but not really there.
I expect that bomtr knows this, but, just in case Bamaman is unaware of it: the Commissioner may decide to grant players with a Darn Good Reason not to be able to submit (natural disaster, serious illness or worse, etc.) a 0(0) rather than a 0(F). While on one hand I am sympathetic to such situations, the random assortment of good results scattered among the 0(0)'s does not seem fair to the rundle, especially when it's a significant portion of more than one season. (I do not know that this applies to bomtr's opponent, just guessing.)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I’m now first in my Rundle! And I’ve been playing mostly while traveling in the Caribbean 2 weeks ago and now in Poland. I just hope I can win tomorrow! Happy 4th of July to all!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Since I had a certain Skype interview where it came up that I was in first place in an A Rundle, I have gone 1-10-3. It's almost like I kicked Alex in the shins before the episode started.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:20 am Since I had a certain Skype interview where it came up that I was in first place in an A Rundle, I have gone 1-10-3. It's almost like I kicked Alex in the shins before the episode started.
Yeah, I've gone 0-4 to drop out of leading that A rundle over the last 4 games. My last game in first place? Beating my wife with a six pack. Karma.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Asparagus steamer, makes sense. Asparagus serving tray, makes sense. Wait, why would you ever need to -peel- asparagus. Probably carrots then.

Oh, what's that desert...Sonora! Isn't that a little too far west? Well, I've already changed one of my first guesses, let's stick with this. Hey, wouldn't it be funny if it was Chihuahua? Tiny dog, big state?

*submit*

And that's how I only got 4 right.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Volante wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:31 am Asparagus steamer, makes sense. Asparagus serving tray, makes sense. Wait, why would you ever need to -peel- asparagus.
Shocked that more people got Princip than asparagus
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I got my 1,000th correct answer yesterday, but it didn't pay huge dividends, because I lost 7(5)-6(4). I will be returning to B next season, hopefully in Horizon and not one of the new leagues like Yanny.
Hoping for a third lap