Wednesday, July 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7798, 2018-07-04

CONTESTANTS
Kate Brandt, a homeschool mom from Carmel, Indiana
Liz Howard, an assistant analyst from McLean, Virginia
Suzanne Koppelman, a museum education manager from New York, New York (whose 2-day cash winnings total $34,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Ladies. Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and happy Fourth of July, all of you. Let's make this a safe holiday. Kate, Liz, and Suzanne, pick up those signaling devices. Let's go to work in this first round, shall we? And I hope you like these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SWITCH TO A COMPETING BRAND (4/5) (Alex: There will be a brand item mentioned in the clue. You have to replace that with the appropriate one.)
ON TV (4/5)
AGRICULTURE (5/5)
5, 5 (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response will be two words of five letters each.)
"FIRE" WORKS (5/5)
ON THE FOURTH OF JULY (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kate: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Liz: 7 R, 0 W
Suzanne: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Suzanne: $2,200
Liz: $2,200
Kate: $2,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kate Brandt is a homeschool mom from Indiana. How many children are we talking about?

Kate: Two children.

Alex: Ages?

Kate: They are 11 and 8, and they're here with me today.

Alex: And why homeschooling?

Kate: You know, we started homeschooling when my daughter, my older child, was in kindergarten. And we thought we'd go back to school, but it's been so much fun that we just have never gone back.

Alex: All right, good for you.

Alex: Liz Howard is from McLean, Virginia. You are the designated pie maker, I understand, at Thanksgiving.

Liz: That's right.

Alex: What kind of pies are we talking about?

Liz: I always think that you can't go wrong with a classic apple, but we like to have a pecan pie, too.

Alex: What about pumpkin?

Liz: Some years, we do pumpkin as well, but it ends up being a lot of pie for four people.

Alex: For four people only? A lot of turkey left over for four people also.

Alex: Suzanne Koppelman is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. You did a rafting trip in the Grand Canyon.

Suzanne: Yes, I did.

Alex: With your sister?

Suzanne: Yes, my sister, Jen, is here with me today.

Alex: Okay.

Suzanne: And it was a six-day trip. We went through the Grand Canyon; we got to hike. We camped out on the sides of the banks of the river. It was--

Alex: Did you take advantage of some of the fun things to do by just jumping off the flotation devices and just, with your little jacket, floating down the river?

Suzanne: You know what? The water is so freezing that actually, nobody ended up going in. I've done that on other rafting trips, but not on this one.

Alex: So it was early in the season for you.

Suzanne: Yes, it was.

Alex: I know, it does get cold.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kate found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Suzanne had $2,200, Liz had $2,200, and Kate was at $2,200. Kate wagered $1,000.

5, 5 $800: It was established in 1790 as the Revenue Marine Service

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ON TV $1000: Syfy's creepy anthology series is "Channel" this number

ON THE FOURTH OF JULY $400: This president died in New York City on the 55th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence
(Suzanne: Who is Madison?)

ON THE FOURTH OF JULY $600: This president was born on July 4--in 1872--in Vermont

SWITCH TO A COMPETING BRAND $1000: "There is a Purex in the affairs of men, which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune"

ON THE FOURTH OF JULY $1000: U.S. troops in Paris on July 4, 1917 visited his tomb, where Lt. Col. Charles Stanton famously said to him, "We are here!"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kate: $5,200
Liz: $4,400
Suzanne: $3,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PUB MED (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"OO"DLES OF WORDS (4/5)
GREAT BRITS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE LAW OF THE LAND (4/5) (Alex: We'll tell you about the law. You identify the land for us.)
AT THE MOVIES (5/5)
FIREWORKS ON THE FOURTH OF JULY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Liz: 12 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Suzanne: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Kate: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Suzanne snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Suzanne had $7,600, Liz had $7,600, and Kate was at $10,000. Suzanne wagered $3,000.

PUB MED $1200: Showing the nifty effects of insulin in 1922, Banting & Best published "The Internal Secretion of" this organ

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Liz who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Suzanne had $12,600, Liz had $14,000, and Kate was at $12,000. Liz wagered $2,000.

GREAT BRITS $2000: This British philosopher & mathematician was the logical choice to win the 1950 Nobel Prize for Literature
(Alex: Liz?)
(Liz: I don't know.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"OO"DLES OF WORDS $1600: A large male kangaroo goes by this resounding name

THE LAW OF THE LAND $800: "System influenced by Japanese traditions and Communist legal theory"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Suzanne: $15,800
Liz: $14,400
Kate: $14,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC ROCK

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place; prisoner's dilemma between the two 2nd place contestants.
Suzanne: Wager $13,001 to cover Liz and Kate.
Liz: You have only two rational options. Either wager $0 if you think the clue will be a Triple Stumper or all $14,400 if you think you will get the clue right.
Kate: Your score is the same as Liz's and your wagering suggestion is the same as well. It's all or nothing.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
25 years after these 3 men played a huge festival, they went to play again & ended the set with a tune about the 1st show

FINAL SCORES
Kate: $14,400 + $14,350 = $28,750 (Who are Crosby Stills + Nash?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Liz: $14,400 + $14,400 = $28,800 (Who are Crosby, Stills & Nash?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Suzanne: $15,800 + $13,001 = $28,801 (Who Crosby Stills and Nash?) (3-day champion: $63,601)
(Alex: [To Kate] Woodstock was the music festival.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Liz: $16,400, 19 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Kate: $14,200, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Suzanne: $14,000, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $44,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Liz: 20/59 = .339
Kate: 19/59 = .322
Suzanne: 16/59 = .271
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ON TV $600: Seen here, Jeff Glor became the new anchor for this network's evening news in 2017

5, 5 $200: Some beginners use these, seen in the picture here

AGRICULTURE $200: From the Latin for "gnaw away", it's the serious potential loss of soil over time if it's not replenished
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

AGRICULTURE $600: With 15 billion bushels grown annually, this is the leading U.S. grain crop
(Kate: What is wheat?)

GREAT BRITS $800: Thomas Huxley, at left, championed this man, at right, who called Huxley his warmest & most important supporter

THE LAW OF THE LAND $2000: "Mixed legal system" including "British mandate regulations"
(Alex: And by the way, all of those clues came from the CIA's World Factbook.)

FIREWORKS ON THE FOURTH OF JULY $400: Slightly less dangerous than the lit kind, the water version of this firework is launching here

FIREWORKS ON THE FOURTH OF JULY $1200: You might cry with joy after seeing the firework here, named for this tree

FIREWORKS ON THE FOURTH OF JULY $2000: The firework here gets its name from the wheel associated with this female saint

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Coast Guard
Channel Zero
Monroe
Calvin Coolidge
Tide
Lafayette
the pancreas
Bertrand Russell
a boomer
North Korea
Crosby, Stills and Nash
CBS
water wings
erosion
corn
Darwin
Israel
a bottle rocket
a (weeping) willow
St. Catherine
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC ROCK

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
25 years after these 3 men played a huge festival, they went back to play again & ended the set with a tune about the 1st show

Suzanne Koppelman: 15800+13001=28801 (3x = $63,601)
Liz Howard: 14400+14400=28800
Kate Brandt: 14400+14350=28750

Correct response:
Spoiler
Crosby, Stills & Nash

Daily Doubles
Kate: 2200+1000
Suzanne: 7600+3000
Liz: 14000-2000

Coryats
Suzanne: 14000
Liz: 16400
Kate: 14200

Combined: 44,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Suzanne: 3600
Liz: 4400
Kate: 5200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

2200 across the board to end the first segment was an early indicator it would be a close game. Suzanne converted DD2 for +3000 while Liz lost 2000 on DD3 to make the difference in the match.

It was a great game and too bad there is no rematch tomorrow. It’s not often the scores after the FJ! round total: $86,351

Yesterday I did my part to get the FJ! clue off to an 0/4 start. Today it’s just the opposite with 4/4 waiting for the first miss.

3 men takes care of anyone trying Peter, Paul & Mary. Will someone miss with Emerson, Lake & Palmer? Putting Young in the mix and leaving out one of the other guys? Showing off and botching a first name? A famous trio like ZZ Top or The Police? This does not seem like the kind of clue that will have a popular wrong guess other than a blank page.

Suzanne’s win was big enough for top 15 on the TOC tracker and another win tomorrow would have her jump another 4 or even 5 players including the guy she defeated, Scott. It all comes down to the lunch order. 😊

SWITCH TO A COMPETING BRAND was a lot of fun with countless possibilities. The writers need to revisit that category again. This J!6 clue should have made the cut for the show:
Spoiler
When a commercial comes on during “Jeopardy!”, don’t touch that Ivory—wait, not Ivory, but this competing brand
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Mind immediately went to Crosby, Stills, and Nash as a trio that played Woodstock (and I was pretty sure they had a song called Woodstock, though not positive). 3/3 and 14 in a row
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Based on the category, I would have bet $0 in a second-place tie here and been right to do so because I had not a clue. I knew the huge festival was Woodstock, but that got me nothing and so I went with the first name that came to mind, The Who (minus Keith Moon), which looking at Wikipedia seems to be not as bad a guess as I was afraid it was.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I suspect that this clue will poll very highly.

(I got it, too.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

It took me a long time to get to Final. I would have been embarrassed to miss it given it's a wheelhouse category.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

The second it said "these 3 men", I wanted to punch the screen. An exciting shootout of a game, and it ends with that guaranteed triple get. Bleargh.

Also, pancreas as a DD when spotted insulin wasn't so hot either.

I'm a little rusty when it comes to ties: if Kate hadn't held back $50, who would've been 2nd/3rd?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I will be the idiot who said Harrison, McCartney and Starr.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Was very happy to see Liz's wager after the silly $50 hold back. But it didn't matter.

But most here knew both weren't going to wager everything or nothing. Or even $1401.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:32 pm I'm a little rusty when it comes to ties: if Kate hadn't held back $50, who would've been 2nd/3rd?
Kate. She had the higher score after the J! round.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a fantastic game! I really enjoyed watching all three players in this one, even with the one bad FJ wager.

The clues that were in the July 4 category in the J! Round struck me as being vague and trivial. There were a few other clues in this game that seemed not so great.

I precallled "The Fire Next Time" at the bottom of the board.

I got the Bertrand Russell DD on an educated guess. I would have been tempted to go for a big wager there in hopes of having a crush game.

I got FJ, but I wouldn't have guessed that the clue would play this easy. Granted, I did take "these three men" to refer possibly to any band that has exactly 3 male members, not just ones that are named for its 3 male members. I also didn't think that the song "Woodstock" was really that famous. And classic rock is kind of an esoteric category to begin with.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash pickup: Coolidge, Lafayette, North Korea.
FJ was easy even without the 'three men' qualifier. Closing the set with a song about the original show? "Woodstock" by CSN, done.
ELP weren't even around yet, they first came to prominence at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970.
davey

Post by davey »

Wait a minute...didn't Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young play at Woodstock?? So I think I'll forgive myself for not bringing them to mind as a 3-man group that fit the clue...(Yes, it's obvious in hindsight, and yes, I understand Neil Young didn't come back to Woodstock in 1994...)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

41 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: James Monroe, Calvin Coolidge, Tide, North Korea, (Bertrand Russell)

St. Catherine was the clue used for the J!6. It seems like the people who run the site slept on the job. :lol:
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

pretty easy final and i am not even into geezer music
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Wpwells wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:44 pm Mind immediately went to Crosby, Stills, and Nash as a trio that played Woodstock (and I was pretty sure they had a song called Woodstock, though not positive). 3/3 and 14 in a row
Actually, it's Joni Mitchell's song.
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:55 pm pretty easy final and i am not even into geezer music
You're just incessantly negative, aren't you?
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Wpwells wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:44 pm Mind immediately went to Crosby, Stills, and Nash as a trio that played Woodstock (and I was pretty sure they had a song called Woodstock, though not positive). 3/3 and 14 in a row

Yes, they did. It's track #5 off 1970's DEJA VU album, though Joni Mitchell wrote/originally recorded it.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:54 pm I will be the idiot who said Harrison, McCartney and Starr.
That's not a terrible guess. It makes sense of the phrasing of asking for three specific people.