How does one study for Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: How does one study for Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Post by triviawayne »

ohiomathtchr wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 pm
alietr wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:54 am Not trying to rain on your parade, but didn't they wrap up taping by September last year because of Chris Harrison's schedule? Is it any different this year?
Hi, long time reader, first time poster. (I don't know why I didn't register until now.)

I took the Millionaire test at TCONA this weekend. The interviewer asked about my availability through August 22, which is their final taping session for the season.
oooh, ohiomathtchr....wonder who you could possibly be...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
ohiomathtchr
Contributor

Post by ohiomathtchr »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:31 am
ohiomathtchr wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 pm
alietr wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:54 am Not trying to rain on your parade, but didn't they wrap up taping by September last year because of Chris Harrison's schedule? Is it any different this year?
Hi, long time reader, first time poster. (I don't know why I didn't register until now.)

I took the Millionaire test at TCONA this weekend. The interviewer asked about my availability through August 22, which is their final taping session for the season.
oooh, ohiomathtchr....wonder who you could possibly be...
Do I need to spell it out for you? K-L-A-U-S-S. :-P
Maggie, call me.
ohiomathtchr
Contributor

Post by ohiomathtchr »

To the person who PMed me, I can't reply to your message since I'm a newbie. I have not had any type of follow-up as of this moment, 12:30 PM Eastern on Wednesday 8/9. If I hear anything, I will definitely let you and everyone else know.
Maggie, call me.
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

ohiomathtchr wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 pm To the person who PMed me, I can't reply to your message since I'm a newbie. I have not had any type of follow-up as of this moment, 12:30 PM Eastern on Wednesday 8/9. If I hear anything, I will definitely let you and everyone else know.
For all who were curious, it was me. :) There was nothing phrased as "you're in the pool" or such during my audition, so at this point it's just patience!
The Word Picture
Contributor

Post by The Word Picture »

True Baltusrol is near enough to me that I would be so grounded if I miss that. Old enough to remember Jack Nicklaus win the US Open there on TV in 1980. So strong pictorial association there.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

So... hypothetically speaking. If you have roughly a week and a half before a hypothetical taping of this game show, what would you concentrate your studies on? I'm going over lists of Presidents, lists of states and their capitals, working through countries and their capitals, and the periodic table.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Golf

Post by Golf »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:57 pm So... hypothetically speaking. If you have roughly a week and a half before a hypothetical taping of this game show, what would you concentrate your studies on? I'm going over lists of Presidents, lists of states and their capitals, working through countries and their capitals, and the periodic table.
That's half a day at most, what are you doing to do with the rest of the time. :D

With all the pop culture crap on the show these days, I'd get a current year entertainment almanac. Maybe a book with strange and unusual facts. As I think I've mentioned earlier in this thread, with all the BS questions, it's basically impossible to actually study for the show unlike Jeopardy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:57 pm So... hypothetically speaking. If you have roughly a week and a half before a hypothetical taping of this game show, what would you concentrate your studies on? I'm going over lists of Presidents, lists of states and their capitals, working through countries and their capitals, and the periodic table.
Hypothetical good luck.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

The most recent winning spelling bee word.
The price of a first-class stamp.
Basic distances on the globe (e.g. NY to LA, NY to UK, etc.)
Metric conversion and mental arithmetic.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Golf wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:12 pm As I think I've mentioned earlier in this thread, with all the BS questions, it's basically impossible to actually study for the show unlike Jeopardy.
I’m an infrequent watcher but I have to agree. Though I did see a guy lose because he didn’t know the height of Mount Everest- so there are facts you could study

They had a $250K question about the -stan countries that blew my mind, and the guy got it right

Which country is the only one in the world that's completely surrounded by countries whose names end in "stan"?

Good luck. Choose your hypothetical ask a friend friend wisely!
Robbo
Contributor

Post by Robbo »

For the early questions, don't get hung up on not knowing the precise fact that they are asking. It is more of a case of using logic and common sense to work out.

Figure out beforehand personally and with family/friends how much you are willing to gamble on a question. How does this gamble change when it would be a random guess vs. you feeling you have a 80 percent chance of being right?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Types of pasta and their meanings is another topic that comes up very frequently and may be worth your time.

On the topic of TV/movies/celebs, are there any other sources worth looking at besides IMDb to scour for information? Not a big fan of celebrity gossip, CW shows or popular movies, and I feel that looking at pavlovs simply isn't enough sometimes considering how in-depth these shows seem to go with those topics. Sad we've come to this, but so it goes. :roll:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Hypothetical congratulations!

The show is fond of asking "which of these four things is *not* __________" questions, so pay attention to the way the question is worded.

Look for the nugget of information in the question that will help you find the right answer. I missed a fairly easy question about Atlanta the first time I was on because both my plus one and I focused on a Walking Dead reference and not on what it actually wanted me to answer.

As others have said, decide when you will walk. For me, it was using my last lifeline and still not being sure of the right answer. I was tempted to go for it, but I knew it was better to leave with $30,000 than $5,000.

When you get into the studio, take a minute to look at the audience - age ranges, etc. That will help you decide when to use your ask the audience lifeline.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

ElendilPickle wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:35 pm
Hypothetical congratulations!

The show is fond of asking "which of these four things is *not* __________" questions, so pay attention to the way the question is worded.

Look for the nugget of information in the question that will help you find the right answer. I missed a fairly easy question about Atlanta the first time I was on because both my plus one and I focused on a Walking Dead reference and not on what it actually wanted me to answer.

As others have said, decide when you will walk. For me, it was using my last lifeline and still not being sure of the right answer. I was tempted to go for it, but I knew it was better to leave with $30,000 than $5,000.

When you get into the studio, take a minute to look at the audience - age ranges, etc. That will help you decide when to use your ask the audience lifeline.
Yeah, one of the things I tend to do is to rush when I'm answering questions in general. So I will hypothetically likely be repeating every question at least once, just to make sure I don't over look a "not" somewhere in there.

Good advice on the audience demographics. Hopefully the lights won't blind me.
mrfusion
Contributor

Post by mrfusion »

Golf wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:12 pm
I'd get a current year entertainment almanac.
Dumb question, but hypothetically speaking, what is a current year entertainment almanac?

I was at the library for hypothetical reasons and hypothetically couldn't find anything that wasn't a really boring list.
It turns out that, in any case, the H-bomb was also developed under Truman
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Guaranteed to come up: On Friday, Earth will swing toward the outermost point in its orbit, known as aphelion.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Also, was it really that easy? The audience steered you wrong to begin with, and the name "Woodbury" could have reasonably been applied to Atlanta, right? Would NOT focusing on The Walking Dead have helped any?
Golf

Post by Golf »

mrfusion wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:31 pm Dumb question, but hypothetically speaking, what is a current year entertainment almanac?

I was at the library for hypothetical reasons and hypothetically couldn't find anything that wasn't a really boring list.
This is what I inhaled before appearing on WWTBAM.

Doesn't look like they have put it out for some time now though.
mrfusion
Contributor

Post by mrfusion »

That looks perfect, thanks! I think it might be called the People Yearbook now?
It turns out that, in any case, the H-bomb was also developed under Truman
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:40 pm
Also, was it really that easy? The audience steered you wrong to begin with, and the name "Woodbury" could have reasonably been applied to Atlanta, right? Would NOT focusing on The Walking Dead have helped any?
It was if you had another kernel of knowledge...google the former name of Atlanta, that's how I knew it without ever seeing an episode. But you had to have already had that knowledge.
Total game show career losings = $171,522