LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by alietr »

Hearty congratulations indeed to my rundle winner, Vermonter. I can't think of a more deserving winner. And to teapot and Plasticene as well.

A strange season for me. A great start -- 8-1-1 and a few days in 1st, and then came the fall -- 2-10-3.

I won yesterday, but had my most embarrassing miss. About 20 years ago, John Johnson flew me out to Chicago to meet with him about a potential project. I remembered all the Jet memorabilia around his office, but totally forgot about Ebony. Alas, Jet started a few years after Ebony.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Actually managed to avoid relegation in a B Rundle for once.

Congrats to everyone above on the promotions or for winning their rundles!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:48 pm
I was already having a terrible season at that point in my C rundle and had figured out that I had no business in the Rundle in the Jundle, but it was too late to do anything about it. My desire to do LL at that point was at low ebb. The best thing I can say is that I did not forfeit, did not cheat, continued to do the best I could, and did not say anything publicly until now because I thought there was too high a probability that it would end up being something I'd regret. I did whine to Thorsten and I feel slightly bad about that, but, out of the things I felt like doing, it was a least of evils. Moral victory, yay?
Thanks for posting this, seriously. I was thinking about upgrading to play in the Jundle, but this convinced me. I'm a rundle below you and if you felt out of your depth, I don't even want to think about how I would feel.
sillymoose
Valued Contributor

Post by sillymoose »

Very happy with my 15th place finish (out of 30) in R Magnolia. I expected to do very poorly, but somehow ended up with a winning record of 10-9-6 to put me into D for next season. Although I had one of the best DE’s in the rundle, I also got lucky by having the lowest CAA, so I might struggle a bit in D, but I guess we’ll see. Excited to come back for next season!
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

I broke a mini-slide on the last day to finish at +4 in Fjord A with 111 TCA; I believe my best scores in both departments. Perhaps this is the turning point of my life. I noticed that many seemed to struggle with Ebony vs. Jet but to name a magazine the latter while the former is available would be like choosing "Cracked" over "Mad' or "Elongated Man" over "Plastic Man".
I'm smart and I want respect.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:28 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:48 pm
I was already having a terrible season at that point in my C rundle and had figured out that I had no business in the Rundle in the Jundle, but it was too late to do anything about it. My desire to do LL at that point was at low ebb. The best thing I can say is that I did not forfeit, did not cheat, continued to do the best I could, and did not say anything publicly until now because I thought there was too high a probability that it would end up being something I'd regret. I did whine to Thorsten and I feel slightly bad about that, but, out of the things I felt like doing, it was a least of evils. Moral victory, yay?
Thanks for posting this, seriously. I was thinking about upgrading to play in the Jundle, but this convinced me. I'm a rundle below you and if you felt out of your depth, I don't even want to think about how I would feel.
While I don't want to claim that the Rundle in the Jundle was easy this last season - it was not. As it containied 2 A-rundle winners, it was tough. However this is the sixth or seventh season for this haphazard group of J-boardies playing, and the membership has shifted from season to season. This past season was the toughest. Other seasons it was much more hospitable. It really depends on who signs up! It doesn't have promotion /relegation, so there will always be a wider range of scores.

Thanks to BigDaddyMatty for organizing it every year - I enjoyed it!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I may upgrade my membership next time I have to renew so I can join.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

boson wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:53 am Thanks to BigDaddyMatty for organizing it every year - I enjoyed it!
I'm definitely glad there's a private rundle for boardies and add my thanks to BigDaddyMatty. I don't know what the composition had been before RitJ7, but I noticed before the season started that I was the only member not in A or B and figured I was in for it. My TCA total was actually in the same general ball park as some other participants, but I didn't do well with defense this season, which didn't help. In theory, it should be easier to defend against really strong players--just try to figure out which questions are really hard because they're going to get the easier questions right anyway. In practice, though, it didn't work out that way for me, and it actually surprised me that I found it to be a little annoying to have to submit two sets of defensive assignments (even after I got over my hissy-fit).
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

After my initial travails where my defense was sieve like and I was dead last, I rebounded to finish dead even, 10-10-5, and in seventh place in Laguna C. On the last day, my match was 8(5)-8(5). I thought that my opponent wouldn't know the full name of the ACA and my opponent thought that I wouldn't know "Little Caesar" (which I knew even without the restaurant chain TOM). We each missed a one pointer instead (if only the Ajax one had a cleanser TOM).
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I tied my career highs in correct answers (69) and match points (86). Also tied highs for my time in D in wins (11) and finish (11th). I would have broken all those if I hadn't gone with either Sonora or Jet the last two days. Oh well.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I had a thought. I should preface by saying that I don't think there's anything wrong with RitJ as it now stands and I'm content to consider my foray into RitJ7 to be a failed experiment. (That's not because I finished last--someone has to--it was the feeling of being out of my depth.)

If, however, there's danger of attrition based on "self-relegation", one possible solution would be to ask people to join in pairs based on their expected rundle level for the next main LL. People could solicit "buddies" on the thread. That might encourage more level diversity. As a side bonus, there would always be an even number signed up!

It's possible that I'm overlooking something, and of course BigDaddyMatty shouldn't have to do something that would make extra work. It's just a thought.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:21 pm I had a thought. I should preface by saying that I don't think there's anything wrong with RitJ as it now stands and I'm content to consider my foray into RitJ7 to be a failed experiment. (That's not because I finished last--someone has to--it was the feeling of being out of my depth.)

If, however, there's danger of attrition based on "self-relegation", one possible solution would be to ask people to join in pairs based on their expected rundle level for the next main LL. People could solicit "buddies" on the thread. That might encourage more level diversity. As a side bonus, there would always be an even number signed up!

It's possible that I'm overlooking something, and of course BigDaddyMatty shouldn't have to do something that would make extra work. It's just a thought.
Maybe we can start our own league for non-A rundlers from Missouri! :D
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I forfeited the first game of the season because I completely forgot about it & then I forfeited one other game because I normally try to answer everything as soon as I look at the questions but something came up and I realized at 1:05am that I blew it. Anyway, I ended up in 1st in my C Rundle so that feels good.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Despite shaky defense all season (.622 DE, 6th to last in my rundle, and 111 TPA, 4th to last), I finished first in C Taiga div 2 thanks mostly to my .747 Q%/112 TCA which brought my overall percentage to an even .700. Looking forward to the move up to B in August and hope to finally figure out how to wager consistently!

Biggest mess up of the season: writing in "chiaroscuro" as a first thought, realizing it's "sfumato" after a second read through, and forgetting to change it before submitting. :x

Closest sniffing around the right answer: remembering the football club's name begins with an "A", that it looks/sounds like "Asterix" (like the Franco-Belgian comics character), and settling for Achilles without giving it enough thought. :shock:

Most welcomed bit of commissioner generosity: accepting "Van Der Graf Generator" for "Robert Van De Graaff." :D

Stingiest question of the season: looking for "cryogenics" without acknowledging it's historic misuse by the media. :cry:

Baggiest questions of the season: "bear" as good as "polar bear" for the Canadian coin and "wax" as good as "beeswax" for encaustic painting. :roll:

Favorite question/subject of the season: "A lunatic hypnotist, his carnival somnambulist, and various asylum inmates (who may not be what they appear) are central to the plot of what 1920 horror film and classic of German Expressionism?" (THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI) 8-)
I would prefer not to.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Fire up the JA Classical. Play #2. Disney! Tchaikovsky! Once Upon a Dream!
*types in Cinderella*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I had my best performance in a One-Day since French Impressionists with 10 CA and an 86th% finish in Henri Matisse

Too bad I missed 2 money questions - Hermitage (MOMA) and Pentimento (palimpseste)

I need to start thinking about my questions for my upcoming 'Clowns' One-Day, which should be epic :0)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The MLs start tomorrow. I am in 141 for Math 2 and 174 for One Hit Wonders.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I'm in 59 for Math, and probably in over my head--my group has 2 people who just won their A rundles. I'm in 71 for one-hit wonders. Good luck to all in the mini-leagues!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

One-Hit Wonders 149. Just playing along for fun with Math - if you consider that fun

Just Images Movie Posters 2 - Rank: 1066/1175 Points: 93 :cry:
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Len.
Lem.
Len.
Lem.
Len.
Lem.

...Lem.