Monday, July 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7801, 2018-07-09

CONTESTANTS
Ray Coshow, a landscaper from Sacramento, California
Wes Hazard, a standup comic and storyteller from Stoughton, Massachusetts
Lauren Kiehna, a writer from Steeleville, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $31,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hello, my friends. You're in for a treat today. A bright young champion, a writer, who wrote quite a story for herself on Friday last, winning over $31,000. Wes and Ray, be warned. She's good. Let's go to work. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MNEMONICS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POP CULTURE STUPID ANSWERS (3/5)
PLACES (4/5)
HOMOPHONES (5/5)
A CONTROVERSIAL CATEGORY (3/5)
A VANILLA CATEGORY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Wes: 9 R, 0 W
Lauren: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Ray: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Wes: $3,600
Lauren: $400
Ray: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ray Coshow is from Sacramento, California. He's a landscaper, but you and I have something in common that has to do with MAD Magazine. They once had a caricature of me in that magazine. And with regard to yourself?

Ray: Well, one of me was published in it, which I drew myself, and I sent it to them as a letter to the editor. And I was thrilled to see them publish my drawing on the letters page in MAD Magazine.

Alex: Okay, good for you. You still have a copy of that?

Ray: I certainly do.

Alex: I'm sure.

Alex: Wes Hazard, a standup comic and storyteller from Stoughton, Massachusetts. You have published a humor book with a special angle. Tell me.

Wes: Yeah, it's to find out how awful you and your friends are, to learn that about yourselves. So questions like, if you can pick a supervillain to babysit your child for three hours, who would it be? Or if you had to cut off your own pinkie toe, your friend would lose their right eye--which would you choose? That sort of thing. It's good for making car rides real, real awkward.

Alex: My best friend could still function with only one eye.

Alex: Lauren Kiehna from Steeleville, Illinois, is our champion. You wrote a dissertation that had to do with Victorian literature.

Lauren: Yes.

Alex: But with specificity. What exactly?

Lauren: I did. It was about bigamy novels written in the Victorian era.

Alex: Have there been a lot of them?

Lauren: There were quite a lot of them for a short period of time in the 19th century.

Alex: Which one was the most fascinating for you?

Lauren: I think my favorite is probably Jane Eyre, although it comes close. It's almost bigamy. He tries very hard but it doesn't happen.

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lauren found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Lauren had $800, Wes had $3,600, and Ray was at $200. Lauren made it a True Daily Double, wagering $800.

MNEMONICS $600: A standard tuning of this instrument:
Eat all dead gophers before Easter

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PLACES $600: Saginaw Bay, an arm of this Great Lake, indents eastern Michigan
(Ray: What is Lake Superior?)

POP CULTURE STUPID ANSWERS $600: Dancers come from all over the world to compete in front of Jennifer Lopez & Derek Hough on this NBC show

A CONTROVERSIAL CATEGORY $400: Some say, loudly, that this common condiment that evolved from Asian fish sauce should never be used on eggs

A CONTROVERSIAL CATEGORY $600: "Resolved: humans are fundamentally different from other animals" was a 2017 big question from the National Speech & this Assn.
(Lauren: What is language?)

POP CULTURE STUPID ANSWERS $1000: In a commercial for this mobile game, Arnold Schwarzenegger yells, "Must strike back!"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lauren: $5,400
Wes: $5,400
Ray: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANCIENT ROME (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
UNFURL THE STATE FLAG (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BOYS IN THE BAND (5/5)
INTERNATIONAL LAW (4/5)
ALLITERATIVE LIT (4/5)
THROW 'EM IN THE "BRIG" (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lauren: 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Wes: 6 R, 0 W
Ray: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lauren snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Lauren had $7,800, Wes had $5,800, and Ray was at $5,000. Lauren wagered $2,000.

UNFURL THE STATE FLAG $2000: The date December 7, 1787, is rather important in identifying the flag of this state
(Lauren: What is... Georgia?)
(Alex: No, the state is [*], and the date is the date on which they became the first to ratify the Constitution.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lauren who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Lauren had $6,600, Wes had $5,800, and Ray was at $5,400. Lauren wagered $1,200.

ANCIENT ROME $1200: A 19th century historian wrongly thought the emperor Severus built this divider

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THROW 'EM IN THE "BRIG" $1600: A 2-masted sailing ship with a square-rigged foremast

THROW 'EM IN THE "BRIG" $2000: This company famous for its small engine design & manufacturing began in Milwaukee in 1908

UNFURL THE STATE FLAG $1600: On Maine's flag this type of deer sits quietly under a tree

ALLITERATIVE LIT $1600: Rudyard Kipling took a break from his stories of South Asia to pen this tale of New England fishermen

INTERNATIONAL LAW $1600: In international law, this 2-word term refers to open waters that belong to no countries; time to sail them

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lauren: $15,800
Wes: $14,600
Ray: $7,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Lauren: Wager $13,401 to cover Wes.
Wes: Try wagering $599, which is as much as you can put up against Lauren without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Ray.
Ray: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Wes, but if Wes decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $4,600.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the presidents who served more than 4 years, but less than 2 full terms, he served the longest:
7 years, 9 months, 8 days

FINAL SCORES
Ray: $7,000 - $0 = $7,000 (Who was James Garfield?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Wes: $14,600 - $200 = $14,400 (Who is teddy Roosevelt) (New champion: $14,400)
Lauren: $15,800 - $13,401 = $2,399 (Who is Nixon?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: [To Lauren] Shortly into his fourth term, FDR died. And [*] is the one who served the longest without two full terms.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lauren: $17,600, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Wes: $14,600, 15 R, 0 W
Ray: $7,000, 12 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $39,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Lauren: 22/61 = .361
Wes: 15/58 = .259
Ray: 12/58 = .207
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HOMOPHONES $800: The type of fabric seen here, or the little piece of land seen here

MNEMONICS $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents an illustration of the visible spectrum.) Remember the mnemonic & you'll also remember that the visible spectrum ranges from red, at an upper wavelength of 700 nanometers, down to this color, at 400 nanometers

A CONTROVERSIAL CATEGORY $1000: The voting rights of these people, defined as those who've committed a crime such as murder or arson, are controversial
(Alex: With a minute to go now.)

UNFURL THE STATE FLAG $400: You can make out the postal abbreviation of this state in its flag

THROW 'EM IN THE "BRIG" $800: It's the first name of the western U.S. leader seen here

UNFURL THE STATE FLAG $1200: The flag seen here represents this sweet home to 5 million

CORRECT RESPONSES
the guitar
Lake Huron
World of Dance
ketchup
debate
Mobile Strike
Delaware
Hadrian's Wall
a brigantine
Briggs & Stratton
a moose
Captains Courageous
high seas or the open seas
Harry Truman
eyelet/islet
violet
felons
Colorado
Brigham Young
Alabama
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the Presidents who served more than 4 years, but less than 2 full terms, he served the longest: 7 years, 9 months, 8 days

Lauren Kiehna: 15800-13401=2399
Wes Hazard: 14600-200=14400 (New Champ)
Ray Coshow: 7000-0=7000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Harry Truman (Lauren – Nixon) (Wes – Teddy Roosevelt) (Ray – James Garfield)

Daily Doubles
Lauren: 800+800
Lauren: 7800-2000
Lauren: 6600+1200

Coryats
Lauren: 17600
Wes: 14600
Ray: 7000

Combined: 39,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Lauren: 5400
Wes: 5400
Ray: 3000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is the book Wes mentioned during chat time:
Spoiler
This is a set by Wes doing comedy:
Spoiler
So much for the dream of Lauren with four wins playing Ryan Fenster with four wins. She lost and he’s not on until next week as I found out when I did a url manipulation:
https://www.jeopardy.com/Assets/jeopard ... lineup.png

Math is not my strong suit and it gave me a double fail on the FJ! clue. I wrote LBJ as somehow I computed November 1963 to January 1969 long enough to fit the clue. Shortly before time was up I realized I was wrong and had only enough time to write TR in thinking for sure he was right having taking over shortly after McKinley’s 2nd term began in 1901 and being reelected in 1904 to stay on until March 1909.

Nope. No cigar. Horseshoes and hand grenades. 1945-1953 turned out to be the right math and I went right by it even though 30 seconds should be enough time to get there. That’s from the comfort and ease of home. It could easily be harder under show constraints to think quickly and correctly.

Tough break for Lauren doing enough to have the lead while not having the 3 DDs pay off nearly enough to get by on a triple miss clue with Wes a strong second with no DDs.

The one guy that was out before the reveal of the clue was Ronald Reagan since he was used earlier in the game. Points to Wes for having the best of the wrong guesses compared to Nixon and Garfield.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Quick solve on the final. Going through the different VPs who took over took me quickly to Truman who took over super early in FDR's fourth term. 1/1
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

That was a heck of a game.

I was rooting for Lauren,
so pleased to see her stay clam and hold onto the lead,
and then crushed by the sad irony that her final moments of staying clam probably cost her the game.

I would've been way wrong with LBJ, whereas Wes gave the best possible miss.
(Teddy's time in office was only 3 months shy of Truman's!)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This took a bit of thinking, but I got there after a detour with Wes' question. But McKinley died in September, while FDR died in April.

Glad to see Wes' savvy wager paid off. I was hoping to see Lauren be really gutsy and bet small herself, but we can't have everything.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I detoured through LBJ and Teddy to hit on the right answer in the nick of time. On the other hand, I negged with "outer space" instead of "the moon" on a bottom-row clue -- whoops!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I went with Rutherford B. Hayes, incorrectly thinking he was James Garfield's running mate.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Wpwells wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:54 pm Quick solve on the final. Going through the different VPs who took over took me quickly to Truman who took over super early in FDR's fourth term. 1/1
RobW wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:57 pm (Teddy's time in office was only 3 months shy of Truman's!)
8-)

Always nice to see a savvy wager win a game for a player where most in that position would lose. Good wager from third as well, most of the time third wins this game with that wager.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Golf wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:26 pm Always nice to see a savvy wager win a game for a player where most in that position would lose. Good wager from third as well, most of the time third wins this game with that wager.
I actually worked out the ideal wagers during the break, then discarded them because I thought for sure they'd make the usual all-in suicide wagers. Let's see if Alex mentions savvy wagering tomorrow :lol:

Instaget FJ...with Teddy Roosevelt, struggling to remember when McKinley was killed, then it clicked and the math didn't work. Switched to Truman with time to spare. Good clue, shocked that it was a TS.

Ray wrote Garfield late enough that I'm guessing it was a 'just write anything' WAG. Not sure what to think about Lauren writing Nixon.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nixon wasn’t a horrible guess. He fits into the “more than one and less than two terms” group. If you don’t know when he resigned it as good a guess as any. Under the pressure of time and lights it isn’t easy to run through them all.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Is there a trick to Stupid Answers? I always overthink them and mess it up.

I totally failed to match Tony to an award or Carrie to a horror film. Outright NHO the correct responses from $600 downward, so no way in hell was I getting those.

Got all but Pi in mnemonics. I was trying to match the first letters to things and going nowhere.

All but the top box in Vanilla. Missed the cocoa/coffee coin flip, and saw no way to narrow it down.

Couldn't even begin to puzzle this FJ! out at all.

Lach Trash: Lake Huron, ketchup, Briggs & Stratton. Also got the Delaware DD.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: Mobile Strike (I used to see their ads all the time), brigantine, Delaware DD, open seas.
Took a detour with Teddy on FJ but got to Truman halfway thru. :mrgreen:
davey

Post by davey »

I probably wouldn't have gotten this FJ if I hadn't thought about Truman's presidency after the other recent FJ about him...in fact, I went from LBJ to Truman and then cast about for someone else, sure they wouldn't be dipping into that well so soon...luckily TR didn't come so Truman remained on the page...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Forgot about Truman for some reason and went with Tyler. Total fail.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I really appreciated Ray's Sean Connery cosplay. It's too bad there wasn't an "S" WORDS or AN ALBUM COVER category.

I was just completely on the wrong track for this FJ. For some reason I was only thinking of those who left office and tried to think of the latest one, and I didn't even think of VPs who ascended(?) earliest.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

I said John Tyler and stuck with it the whole through. Oops...
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Golf wrote: Always nice to see a savvy wager win a game for a player where most in that position would lose. Good wager from third as well, most of the time third wins this game with that wager.
I actually worked out the ideal wagers during the break, then discarded them because I thought for sure they'd make the usual all-in suicide wagers. Let's see if Alex mentions savvy wagering tomorrow :lol:
A 599 wager from Lauren would have made Wes' wager not so savvy, eh? Wes couldn't have it both ways, so he should have bet 7599 if he felt confident with the category. With U.S. Presidents, I'm takin' that gamble every time.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Clue 30 in the J round was definately re-dubbed by Alex. Then he made a comment about being tongue tied just before the break, and that he would "explain it when we return". I was expecting him to say something about the sound edit, but he just mentioned the tie games last week. What gives?

I went from Coolidge (J! loves Warren G. Harding) to T. Roosevelt on the final and didn't consider any further. Truman was a head slapper on reveal.
Lach Trash: Huron, Briggs & Stratton, Moose, High Seas (DD) Delaware.