Friday, July 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, July 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by threearruda »

Category 13 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:37 am
MarkBarrett wrote: So much for Marilyn’s game’s worth of experience helping her although as always when it happens, better in game 2 (or better) than in game 1.
Was she not in the red for the entire DJ round? I started watching for her to bomb out of Final J with about ten clues left and I wondered when the last returning champion pulled this feat, if ever.
Apologies if this was intended as a rhetorical statement (or if posted upthread and I missed it), but for anyone curious enough to do the cursory search such as myself, or are just friends of stats...

IIRC, it's been over a year since it happened last (Rebecca Wald in March '17), but a champ finishing in the red has now happened at least four times in the last three seasons - the aforementioned instance and last night's game, as well as twice in S32 with Phillip Tiu and Dennis Golin. (I thought there was one other instance late 2015 or early 2016 where this happened, but I couldn't find anything in the limited search time I had). Stretch that timeline back and you'll find former ToCer Michael Bilow negging out of his fourth game as well in early 2015. Before that, I'm not sure.

Not sure if you'd consider that a rare occurrence, but certainly not common. Either way, Marilyn has added herself to an interesting list in J! history.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

I probably would’ve figured it out, but earlier in the day I saw an Instagram post from a friend at QVC headquarters, visiting Lauren Gambino, who’s a host on the channel and now host of HQ Sports, the spinoff of HQ Trivia.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Writers on Sports (4), French Toasts (2), By the Numbers (4), Scene of the Rhyme (2), Raiding (3), The Fridge (1)
All in the Old Testament Family (2), Adjectives for Your Cat (0), U.S. Geography (3), Un-believable (4), Parenthetical Song Titles (5), Immigrants (4)

Lach Trash: Baltimore, Joe Louis, Jim Brown, Gang of Four, Utica

All I could come up with was True-Valu (thinking of the hardware store True Value).
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

All I could think of was Value Village. I had a hazy memory from a recent TD that Value Village was based in Washington, but it was the best I could do.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Talking Mime wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:14 pm
Lauren had an impressive debut. Can't wait to see how she does when she returns Monday.
In a case of jumping way ahead of things possible as 1 win is not close to 4 wins, it would be cool if Ryan Fenster's return was Thursday and he played Lauren. Four wins apiece and a sure spot in the TOC on the line to make it a play-in game? Nah, viewers can't get that lucky. Besides in such a fantasy scenario it would be the third player with no prior experience winning.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:09 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:33 pm The Denver affiliate is pre-empting for something call Big 3 Basketball. I didn't even watch the NBA finals, why the %*^#@)! do they think I'll watch this crap?
big 3 is on network tv? fs1 broadcasted that crap last year on tape delay...now it is being shown live on network tv? is it being held in the city of denver that it is being aired that way?
I was channel surfing in the last night or two and saw it. Astonished that anyone would put it on the air. Woof.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:12 pm Retail had me thinking brick-and-mortar, and I was wondering if "value" was literal or a synonym (Costco? Best Buy??)...until it dawned on me about 20 seconds in that Value was the V in QVC. 1986 seeemed to be the right year for the launch of a new home shopping outfit as well.

That Tallahassee DD couldn't have been any easier if they had just showed it on a map and said "this capital".
I MAY have heard the initials QVC once upon a time, but had literally no idea what it is, and certainly had zero chance on this FJ.

Yeah, this clue was probably an easy get for some folks but it was at the opposite end of the difficulty spectrum compared to the "Tallahassee" clue.

Got LT for Baltimore, Joe Louis, Jim Brown, marines, gang of four, and Schubert.

Lauren was a runaway train. Now to see her defend, and see if she can be that good again. What a game for her!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 33,200
46 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Baltimore, Joe Louis, Jim Brown, Maytag, Gang of Four

It took 5-10 seconds of searching for a retailer with "Value" in its name for QVC to fall into place, but once it did, I knew it had to be right. Very cleverly written FJ! with a good solve by the new champ.

Joseph was significantly overvalued at $1600 in the Old Testament category.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:12 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:33 pm The Denver affiliate is pre-empting for something call Big 3 Basketball. I didn't even watch the NBA finals, why the %*^#@)! do they think I'll watch this crap?
Yep, second evening this week. People pay money to see retired out-of-shape athletes play meaningless 3-on-3 basketball. Sheesh. Usually, the station will put preempted episodes on in the middle of the night, but not this week. Thank goodness for Jeopardy fan sites.
Never heard of this league. I skimmed a couple of the rosters on Wikipedia and saw maybe three people I was familiar with. I could see this as programming filler on a sports channel but not on a local network affiliate. Thank goodness for the reddit guy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That French category was completely impenetrable. Any reason I should know that phrase means "good luck"? I didn't see any way to puzzle any of them out at all.

NHO "five head".

Didn't recognize anything in the Bible Family category, either.

All but the James Brown song in Parenthetical. Didn't know that song had a parenthetical title.

Ran the Cat category, happily

Lach Trash: Utica, neurotic

"Value" + "retailer" had me thinking stores. I don't think of QVC as a "retailer" at all, so I wouldn't have gotten this in a billion years.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:03 pm That French category was completely impenetrable. Any reason I should know that phrase means "good luck"? I didn't see any way to puzzle any of them out at all.
Bonne chance...

If you speak another language, especially a Romance language, bon/bueno/bien/buono means good, and chance...well...is a cognate, sort of.

Otherwise, you could make an educated guess at “chance” = “luck” and the category being about toasts.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

SenseiCAY wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:35 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:03 pm That French category was completely impenetrable. Any reason I should know that phrase means "good luck"? I didn't see any way to puzzle any of them out at all.
Bonne chance...

If you speak another language, especially a Romance language, bon/bueno/bien/buono means good, and chance...well...is a cognate, sort of.

Otherwise, you could make an educated guess at “chance” = “luck” and the category being about toasts.
Or you could learn French and not complain that you don't know French.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

One clue in the Cat category threw me off... The one that said that "Persian and Maine Coon are not the best for allergy sufferers" because they are longhairs.

The problem is that Maine Coons don't cause the allergies to humans. Thus I was thrown far off base because I couldn't get past the glaring error in the clue.

I know a married couple that both loved cats, but the wife was deathly allergic, much to her dismay... Then someone told them about the unusual property of Maine Coons.

The couple went straight to a Maine Coon breeder to find out if this was true. The wife sat in the "human-meet-kitties" room for over an hour, cuddling with oodles of purring Maine Coons. Not one sneeze or sniffle. NONE.

The went home with two bundles of fur, naming them Barnum & Bailey.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I was thrown by that clue too. I have allergies and was told that people are allergic to animal dander, not their hair
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

clprez wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 pm I was thrown by that clue too. I have allergies and was told that people are allergic to animal dander, not their hair
sloppy clue writing. And shame on all of them for leaving CATS for last! I guessed 'neurotic' from home but not sure I would have buzzed in on that one IRL

I've never heard of "cul sec" but from my intimate (ahem) knowledge of the French language, I blurted out a response that might have been bleeped :oops:
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

clprez wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 pm I was thrown by that clue too. I have allergies and was told that people are allergic to animal dander, not their hair
This is correct... And it turns out that the dander in Maine Coons doesn't have much of whatever ingredient it is that causes the allergies, although I suppose there are exceptions.

edit: just found a pet-info website that says this isn't true, but it sure was in the case of these friends of mine....