Monday, July 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, July 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Golf »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:45 pm A 599 wager from Lauren would have made Wes' wager not so savvy, eh? Wes couldn't have it both ways, so he should have bet 7599 if he felt confident with the category. With U.S. Presidents, I'm takin' that gamble every time.
Jeopardy contestants are not savvy poker players, there is almost never first level thinking therefore almost no reason for second level thinking. The end result of a wager has absolutely no bearing on it's strategic value. His wager was savvy regardless of outcome.

I find it interesting that you would be willing to sacrifice a winning chance by wagering 7599 based on category but not willing to sacrifice another winning chance by wagering everything based on the same category. Not to mention the fact that first and second tend to answer RR or WW much of the time.

There are contestant types were I would wager everything from second if I felt the leader had confidence and/or math issues.
davey

Post by davey »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:01 pm Clue 30 in the J round was definately re-dubbed by Alex. Then he made a comment about being tongue tied just before the break, and that he would "explain it when we return". I was expecting him to say something about the sound edit, but he just mentioned the tie games last week. What gives?
No, he says "I'll clear it up during this break." Maybe he needed some water?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

davey wrote:
Category 13 wrote: Clue 30 in the J round was definately re-dubbed by Alex. Then he made a comment about being tongue tied just before the break, and that he would "explain it when we return". I was expecting him to say something about the sound edit, but he just mentioned the tie games last week. What gives?
No, he says "I'll clear it up during this break." Maybe he needed some water?
Ahh, that makes more sense. I was so distracted by the dubbed in clue that my brain put words in Alex's mouth afterwards, lol.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got Truman pretty quickly.

I missed cocoa bean with coffee bean. The coffee bean was native to the middle east and so it was definitely incorrect. The clue wanted something native to the Americas.

I got Briggs & Stratton. I remember calling their customer service once and not getting any help. I don't know if I've ever heard of a brigantine. The mnemonics category was really easy for me. I use the "HOMES" mnemonic and think it works great.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

RobW wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:57 pm I would've been way wrong with LBJ, whereas Wes gave the best possible miss.
(Teddy's time in office was only 3 months shy of Truman's!)
I keyed in to Truman so fast I'm glad I never once considered Teddy.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Stupid answers seemed a little trickier than usual, maybe because of the pop culture angle and not so much the pure academic trivia? The board as a whole seemed on the easier side, but maybe that's just me. Sad to see Lauren go so soon, but at least a Bay Stater beat her if anything. Alex, it's pronounced STOE-TUN not STOUT-UN! ;)

Teddy. Not sure how I messed that up. :oops:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I believe I had a better correct answer than the writers.

I considered Teddy Roosevelt but I was uncomfortable knowing that McKinley had died in September and Roosevelt leaving office in March wouldn't add up to 9 months. So I at the last second switched to Washington who took office on April 30th so he was about 2 months shy of a full 8 years. But I believe it was the true correct answer since Washington's tenure was longer than Truman's and still short of a full two terms.

It seems like they came up with that 7 years 9 months and whatever days to pin it to Truman to specifically exclude my better answer.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I too enjoyed Ray's Sean Connery look and was hoping he'd at least stick a "Trebek" on the end of one of his clue requests. I liked Wes' outfit, but it really needed a skinny tie to make it complete. Nice mid-80s look. I really expected Wes to throw the game away the way so many other contestants have. It was nice to see a genuinely savvy wager. (And I therefore predict that Alex will NOT describe his wager as such tomorrow.) I'm sad to see Lauren leave so soon, but I like Wes too and I like seeing good wagering get rewarded.

Truman was my first thought for FJ. I think I actually memorized that factoid when I was swotting up on presidents. I spent the think music doing the math to make sure I wasn't being a moron. TR was a very good guess. He would have been the correct response on the little-remembered Jeopardy! radio show that aired in the 40s. Nixon was ok. Garfield was... not great. Another factoid I memorized is that Garfield had the second shortest time in office of any president--6 months and change. His VP, Chester Arthur, would have been an ok guess, but Arthur didn't have a second term. (If he had been elected to that second term, his two terms still would have totalled 5 fewer days than TR's.) Tyler was also a good guess for those who couldn't remember whether he'd served a second term. He'd still be the record holder for this clue's statistic if he had.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

floridagator wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:58 pm I believe I had a better correct answer than the writers.

I considered Teddy Roosevelt but I was uncomfortable knowing that McKinley had died in September and Roosevelt leaving office in March wouldn't add up to 9 months. So I at the last second switched to Washington who took office on April 30th so he was about 2 months shy of a full 8 years. But I believe it was the true correct answer since Washington's tenure was longer than Truman's and still short of a full two terms.

It seems like they came up with that 7 years 9 months and whatever days to pin it to Truman to specifically exclude my better answer.
The clue didn't say anything about 8 years. It said "less than 2 full terms" and Washington served two terms in their entirety.
I would prefer not to.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

45 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Lake Huron, Ketchup, Brigantine, Moose, (Delaware), High Seas
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:40 pm
So much for the dream of Lauren with four wins playing Ryan Fenster with four wins. She lost and he’s not on until next week as I found out when I did a url manipulation:
https://www.jeopardy.com/Assets/jeopard ... lineup.png
Ryan Fenster is coming back?!?!?! :o
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I would have thought a landscaper would know Briggs & Stratton.

Did anyone else notice everyone but Alex was pronouncing "mnemonic" sort of like "new-monic." Strange.

Guessed TR for FJ.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:32 pm I would have thought a landscaper would know Briggs & Stratton.

Did anyone else notice everyone but Alex was pronouncing "mnemonic" sort of like "new-monic." Strange.

Guessed TR for FJ.
I doubt I would've gotten Briggs & Stratton regardless, but I was thrown with the previous four all being single words that I was actually surprised by the multi-word response at the end.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:32 pm I would have thought a landscaper would know Briggs & Stratton.
This is a great point! I get that everybody didn't have the rural/redneck/hillbilly experience so the TS didn't surprise me. You were spotted "brigs", and couldn't get this? For you urbanites, the B&S engine is the small gas engine that could. They are the everyman and get no respect or love, but the damn things just work.

Wow, I hate to see Lauren go. At least she got a decent check for her one and done. And I like Wes and hope he parlays that locked in second place money bet into something decent tomorrow.

I eliminated LBJ and went straight to TR and was satisfied until the reveal. It was insta-dope-slap when TR was eliminated. My home state Veep wasn't supposed to be POTUS and turned out to be at least a second tier quality guy.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 pm
This is a great point! I get that everybody didn't have the rural/redneck/hillbilly experience so the TS didn't surprise me. You were spotted "brigs", and couldn't get this? For you urbanites, the B&S engine is the small gas engine that could. They are the everyman and get no respect or love, but the damn things just work.
I think I know B&S primarily because my dad seemed to be forever tinkering with his lawnmower when I was a kid.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:30 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:40 pm
So much for the dream of Lauren with four wins playing Ryan Fenster with four wins. She lost and he’s not on until next week as I found out when I did a url manipulation:
https://www.jeopardy.com/Assets/jeopard ... lineup.png
Ryan Fenster is coming back?!?!?! :o
Sg had the scoop back in April in the Feb. 2 thread of Ryan's defeat: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4548&hilit=fenster&start=60#p278344

Scroll up a bit in that Feb. 2 thread for the Schism posts explaining it.

With July games down to the last three weeks of the season I was curious when Ryan would be on, so I changed the relevant things in the url for a player's shot from this week to discover Ryan's return is next week.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Volante wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:40 pm
RobW wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:57 pm I would've been way wrong with LBJ, whereas Wes gave the best possible miss.
(Teddy's time in office was only 3 months shy of Truman's!)
I keyed in to Truman so fast I'm glad I never once considered Teddy.
Unfortunately, I did the reverse. I studied the presidential terms by year at some point, but I didn't get granular enough to distinguish between 3 years 9 months and 3 years 6 months.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Mnemonics (3), Pop Culture Stupid Answers (2), Places (5), Homophones (4), A Controversial Category (4), A Vanilla Category (2)
Ancient Rome (3), Unfurl the State Flag (4), Boys in the Band (4), International Law (2), Alliterative Lit (2), Throw 'em in the "Brig" (3)

Lach Trash: Lake Huron, ketchup, Mobile Strike (remembered Arnold's words from the commercial in the nick of time), open seas;
Daily Double: Delaware

I guessed Theodore Roosevelt as well.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 pm

Wow, I hate to see Lauren go. At least she got a decent check for her one and done. And I like Wes and hope he parlays that locked in second place money bet into something decent tomorrow.

I eliminated LBJ and went straight to TR and was satisfied until the reveal. It was insta-dope-slap when TR was eliminated. My home state Veep wasn't supposed to be POTUS and turned out to be at least a second tier quality guy.
The Democrats knew FDR wasn’t going to live out his fourth term and booted his VP from the ticket and picked a more moderate one.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:32 pm Did anyone else notice everyone but Alex was pronouncing "mnemonic" sort of like "new-monic." Strange.
Yes! Even Sarah on the Clue Crew pronounced it that way. I kept yelling at them, but they wouldn't listen. I think they should do an SJ/DJ category pairing of PNEUMONICS and MNEMONICS. Then, whenever anyone calls for MNEMONICS with the wrong pronunciation, Alex can say, "No, that category was in the last round. What do you want from THIS board?"