Tuesday, July 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

9021amyers wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:06 pm You make an educated guess that a word starting with “vin” is derived from winemaking.
Or you realize that the word "vintage" exists in so many context that its connection to winemaking completely flies over your head.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote:Alex did make note of Wes' savvy wagering. I was hoping he would end with a narrow lock over Doug so we could see if he would do it again. Now all we need is a really savvy leader tomorrow taking advantage of Wes' wagering style.
I would love to see this happen but I doubt Wes will wind up DJ in the same wagering scenario three days in a row.
He has demonstrated a pattern of underwagering what his actual safety margin is, so an upcoming contestant could theoretically dial in pretty easily.

I guessed olives for FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:18 pm The FJ! clue had Turkey while I went French for a Hammer special of Cerasus reminds me in its look & sound of cerise. I translated that into English and was done.
That's what I did, too. Had about the same level of confidence in it.
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 pm Vintager = collector of grapes? What was the TOM?

If this clue even had a TOM, then I didn't see it.
A vintage means "the yield of a vineyard", but more specifically, the yield for a single growing season that is then turned into wine with a unique characteristic; literally, vint- "wine" + -age "process". Wine connoisseurs talk about vintages typically by the year of harvest/production. Chateau Lafite 1787 is a famous (and very expensive) vintage of wine; hence how vintage, as a more general adjective, came to mean "old, and of collectible interest". But it has always retained this original meaning of "grapes collected together". Adding the agentive suffix -r, vintager, "collector of grapes". If one sees vin(t)- or oeno-/oino-, think grapes and wine.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

UiscePreston wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:00 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 pm Vintager = collector of grapes? What was the TOM?

A vintage means "the yield of a vineyard", but more specifically, the yield for a single growing season that is then turned into wine with a unique characteristic; literally, vint- "wine" + -age "process". Wine connoisseurs talk about vintages typically by the year of harvest/production. Chateau Lafite 1787 is a famous (and very expensive) vintage of wine; hence how vintage, as a more general adjective, came to mean "old, and of collectible interest". But it has always retained this original meaning of "grapes collected together". Adding the agentive suffix -r, vintager, "collector of grapes". If one sees vin(t)- or oeno-/oino-, think grapes and wine.

Again. The word has so many other meanings that the connection to the "vint-" prefix completely didn't register. Just like I never processed "diode" as meaning "two paths" since "diode" seemed too short a word to even have a prefix.
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:12 pm
UiscePreston wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:00 pm

Again. The word has so many other meanings that the connection to the "vint-" prefix completely didn't register. Just like I never processed "diode" as meaning "two paths" since "diode" seemed too short a word to even have a prefix.
To be blunt, the type of person who has never shown any curiosity to where common expressions came from, is not someone who is going to succeed on Jeopardy! You have to know things, and you have to be capable of some deductible reasoning to fill in the gaps you don’t know.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

9021amyers wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:23 pm
To be blunt, the type of person who has never shown any curiosity to where common expressions came from, is not someone who is going to succeed on Jeopardy! You have to know things, and you have to be capable of some deductible reasoning to fill in the gaps you don’t know.
Blah blah blah vintager. That must be someone who deals in antiques right?
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

StevenH wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:32 pm I had no clue on FJ. I figured that the best bet on a TOM was to look at Cerasus from the etymological angle, but I got nowhere. I guessed pomegranates.
I figured Cerasus was the TOM, but it did nothing for me. I guessed pomegranates because they seem like something that would grow in Turkey.
Teems with quiet fun.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I guessed dates and strongly considered figs. I knew the name of the town was a tease out metric but didn't connect it to any food. I thought it might have been a biblical town and considered olives. The players knew a lot but I'm surprised they missed diving and Nathan Hale.

I'm surprised Turkey leads in cherry production. I've always associated it with cold and rainy climates.
Last edited by MattKnowles on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

immaf wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:36 pm
StevenH wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:32 pm I had no clue on FJ. I figured that the best bet on a TOM was to look at Cerasus from the etymological angle, but I got nowhere. I guessed pomegranates.
I figured Cerasus was the TOM, but it did nothing for me. I guessed pomegranates because they seem like something that would grow in Turkey.
Ditto. "Cerasus" is the trick, but I'm not seeing it. Let's just try dates. Incidentally, Turkey doesn't even crack the top 10 for date production.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:33 pm I guessed dates and strongly considered figs. I knew the name of the town was a tease out metric but didn't connect it to any food. I thought it might have been a biblical town and considered olives. The players knew a lot but I'm surprised they missed diving and Nathan Hale.

I'm surprised Turkey leads in cherry production. I've always associated it with cold and rainy climates.
Same here. I'm from Michigan, which accounts for 75 percent of the nation's tart cherry harvest.

https://www.michigan.org/blog/events/fa ... verse-city
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Is it a 50/50/100 choice when I'm sure it's one of two things, pick one almost at random, then find out they were both wrong anyway?

A soon as I saw the orangutan, I thought, "I hope this clue is about Sumatra."

LT: police, Nathan Hale, reckoned (a) second, diving, and I thought of emollient but clammed.
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

Four years of HS Spanish would have paid off on FJ, if only. "Cerezas" = "cherries", and my thought would have been "Turkey leads the world? Who knew?" No second thoughts, though, even if I had been at the podium...the translation was just too perfect.
uncapitalized

Post by uncapitalized »

I normally can't get any opera questions right but I got "Madama Butterfly" because I'm a big fan of the Weezer album Pinkerton.

I got FJ because Turkish restaurants often have sour cherry juice (it's really good), so cherries were my immediate thought when I was given Turkey. "Cerasus" looking vaguely similar to "cherry" made me a lot more sure of myself.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i am glad the person at podium 3 got crushed....guy was so slow giving the wrong answer of spain and then not getting in the correct answer of juan carlos, that they didn't get through all of the 1st round clues, leaving 1 sports clue on the board
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Wpwells wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:51 pm I didn't find the TOM, opting instead for a fruit that I know Turkey grows a lot of and thus matching Wes's fig response.
Ditto. If this was "TOM," it completely escaped me. I went with dates and my second choice would have been figs. The name of that town was all we had to go on to lead to "cherry?" I hate clues like this.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

John Boy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:25 am
Wpwells wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:51 pm I didn't find the TOM, opting instead for a fruit that I know Turkey grows a lot of and thus matching Wes's fig response.
Ditto. If this was "TOM," it completely escaped me. I went with dates and my second choice would have been figs. The name of that town was all we had to go on to lead to "cherry?" I hate clues like this.
And this is in the same game that showed us a picture of an equine with a partially striped body, and informed us that its name begins with "z" and ends with "a," and asks us to somehow figure out they mean that it's some kind of "zebra." Oh well.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

davey wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 pm I wonder if more would have gotten FJ if the category was Word Origins rather than Agriculture. When I made that change in thinking I moved on from figs to the correct response, but that was a good 15 seconds in...

I think TURKEY would have been a better category than WORD ORIGINS.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:26 pm
9021amyers wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:23 pm
Blah blah blah vintager. That must be someone who deals in antiques right?
I know this is your schtick, but you’re really pushing it here. If you want to insist that “vintage” is a nonsense word that has come to refer to old things for no reason, and not a word whose origins are easily seen by anyone with a middle-school vocabulary level after it’s been explained to them multiple times, fine.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Speaking of turkeys, how awful was that rhyme category. Truly groan inducing - and not in a good way.